SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old May 06, 2012, 04:46 PM
United States, LA, Kenner
Joined Mar 2011
78 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrosportman View Post
yeah it's possible to take off in grass but you really have to have some luck on your side i did it once

it's just to easy to hand launch it
Fly mine off a grass field, flies great just needs about 30 feet to lift off then it is fine.
I have trouble with the way this floats on landing. I usually over run the field and have to around. usually fine on the next.
Our grass is cut low but not like a golf course. About norman height, If into wind it does fine BUT sometime we need to take off cross wind and it needs a lot of run.
Have not tried to hand launch yet as I feel it is not needed.
If I really need it I can take off on road along side of field.
have not needed it yet.
Great plane and boot to fly,Just need to be ahead of it on throttle
1lasportsman is offline Find More Posts by 1lasportsman
to remove ads between posts
Old May 07, 2012, 06:24 PM
United States, OH, Defiance
Joined Jul 2011
57 Posts
I seen another post that I tryed to reply to that was 76 days old and I couldn't about setting your ESC's to your radio.
It said to go full throttle on the radio, turn it on, turn plane one and it would sing alittle and go silent when done setting the ESC's. Mine's been going for 5 minutes.

Doe's anyone know how long this should normally take.

My battery also got really hot on my one flight I made? any hints that can help?
Thanks guys..
Jody
Jody Shaneyfelt is offline Find More Posts by Jody Shaneyfelt
Old May 07, 2012, 06:56 PM
Canada
Joined Jul 2009
6,807 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jody Shaneyfelt View Post
I seen another post that I tryed to reply to that was 76 days old and I couldn't about setting your ESC's to your radio.
It said to go full throttle on the radio, turn it on, turn plane one and it would sing alittle and go silent when done setting the ESC's. Mine's been going for 5 minutes.

Doe's anyone know how long this should normally take.

My battery also got really hot on my one flight I made? any hints that can help?
Thanks guys..
Jody
This is the wrong sequence. Turn on the radio, let it do its initialization (a few seconds for most TX), raise throttle to max, connect battery to plane. Once its done it's initial beeps, lower throttle to mininum. Now it should be set.
Now, since you've let yours sit for 5 minutes, the ESCs may have reprogrammed to a completely different (and undesirable setting). If you don't lower the throttle after the initial beeps, it goes into further programming modes. The initial beeps is what it sounds like normally when you plug in the battery (with the low throttle) in preparation to fly. This only takes a few seconds to arm the ESCs.
Check the instructions for the ESCs and set them back to their default settings. The instructions should tell you what beeps to listen for to know that it has gone back to default. OR, if you don't think it's gone into a different program, just see what the normal beeps are like by plugging in the plane battery with the throttle low. Disconnect and do it all over again but with the throttle high.
xviper is offline Find More Posts by xviper
Old May 08, 2012, 11:58 AM
Go Ugly Early
Azle, TX
Joined Oct 2010
1,128 Posts
I'll try that too...I still can't get mine to work.
The Hog Pen is offline Find More Posts by The Hog Pen
Old May 08, 2012, 12:10 PM
Canada
Joined Jul 2009
6,807 Posts
What kind of radio gear are you guys using? Did you ensure that the TX and RX are bound together first? If it hasn't been bound, nothing will happen. Once it's been bound, even if you do nothing else, there should be full function of the servos and you'll get an operational throttle, just not calibrated to full stick throw.
Old May 08, 2012, 01:51 PM
"LiPo-Blaster"
Duluth, GA
Joined Apr 2009
932 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by xviper View Post
I prefer to see this take off from the ground anyway. Landing can be rough but if you epoxy the gears on really well, this only becomes a matter of unbending the front gear after the occasional hard landing in the rough.
Anybody put retracts on this Dynam? I've seen retracts put on another brand of A-10 (YouTube). I looked like a hatchet job.
Here's an interesting Thread for Dynam A-10 mods for those that need more! http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...m+dynam+10+mod

Just remember to try to keep it light. With all the mods I have on mine it has a very high wing loading & lands very Hot despite the Drop Flaps & Leading Edge Slats...

* Cyclone Power Turbojet 64mm 4S 4500KV Averaging 978W x2 @ 64Amps x2 With scale-like trust tubes.
* Trust tubes with Scale-like Inner exit nozzles.
* Turnigy Plush 60Amp ESC x 2. Side Fuse. mounted with cooling vents.
* Dimension Engineering "SportBEC"(ubec) with 5 or 6 volt selectable output.
* Added C.F. Reinforcement spars in Main Wings, Fuse & Horz.Stab.
* ChangeSun "Class-30" E-Retracts w/ ProDesign 25 Struts ver 2. & Gear Doors
* Drop Flaps, 3-position
* Leading Edge Slats, w/ progressive servo linkage with the Flap servo, lowers the L.E. Slats on the lower flap switch setting.

Here's a vid of my retracts install(unfinished). You can see the Drop Flap/Leading edge slat linkage under the wing too...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=Hqw0gSRv19E
RugFlyer is offline Find More Posts by RugFlyer
Last edited by RugFlyer; May 08, 2012 at 02:15 PM.
Old May 09, 2012, 12:46 AM
Go Ugly Early
Azle, TX
Joined Oct 2010
1,128 Posts
Quote:
What kind of radio gear are you guys using? Did you ensure that the TX and RX are bound together first? If it hasn't been bound, nothing will happen. Once it's been bound, even if you do nothing else, there should be full function of the servos and you'll get an operational throttle, just not calibrated to full stick throw.
I'm still cruising with 72mhz...
The Hog Pen is offline Find More Posts by The Hog Pen
Old May 15, 2012, 07:00 PM
Joined Jul 2011
57 Posts
Something else I was wondering...

Has anyone figured out how to basically lock the steering for take off on this bird. My nose wheel wants to go everywhere but straight on take off then it noses over. I just added a carbon fiber tube to the steering rod to stiffen it up, but it still does'nt want to track straight. I'm using a DX7 radio and was wondering if there's something to tone it down???
Thanks,
Old May 15, 2012, 07:06 PM
Joined Jul 2011
57 Posts
Quote:
This is the wrong sequence. Turn on the radio, let it do its initialization (a few seconds for most TX), raise throttle to max, connect battery to plane. Once its done it's initial beeps, lower throttle to mininum. Now it should be set.
Now, since you've let yours sit for 5 minutes, the ESCs may have reprogrammed to a completely different (and undesirable setting). If you don't lower the throttle after the initial beeps, it goes into further programming modes. The initial beeps is what it sounds like normally when you plug in the battery (with the low throttle) in preparation to fly. This only takes a few seconds to arm the ESCs.
Check the instructions for the ESCs and set them back to their default settings. The instructions should tell you what beeps to listen for to know that it has gone back to default. OR, if you don't think it's gone into a different program, just see what the normal beeps are like by plugging in the plane battery with the throttle low. Disconnect and do it all over again but with the throttle high.
Thank you very much for the info, I'll give it a shot.
Old May 15, 2012, 08:46 PM
Canada
Joined Jul 2009
6,807 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jody Shaneyfelt View Post
Something else I was wondering...

Has anyone figured out how to basically lock the steering for take off on this bird. My nose wheel wants to go everywhere but straight on take off then it noses over. I just added a carbon fiber tube to the steering rod to stiffen it up, but it still does'nt want to track straight. I'm using a DX7 radio and was wondering if there's something to tone it down???
Thanks,
Look closely to the way the servo acts on the steering mechanism on the nose gear. Turn it upside down and watch it as you move the rudder stick. You'll see what is suppose to connect to what. There should be a plastic rectangle with a slot in the middle of it. When you "steer", that plastic should move the little rod on the front gear to steer it. That plastic may be broken or the rod may be broken or the rod may have popped out of the slot.
Old May 18, 2012, 03:27 PM
OCD RC Freak
United States, CA, Riverside
Joined Aug 2011
213 Posts
Hey everyone! Completely luvin this A-10!! This is my first EDF so I think I definitely chose the right one. I'm used to landing my Cessna 182 sky trainer so landing this plane has been ok, but much faster than what used to. So I decided to try my luck and install flaps. I know it looks like a hatchet job but this is my first time adding flaps to a plane, besides, I can get some touch up paint right?? Anyway here is a quick video of me testing the flaps:

Dynam A-10 flap test (0 min 37 sec)

I will be testing them out this Sunday. Wish me luck!!
chuckman49 is offline Find More Posts by chuckman49
Old May 20, 2012, 01:53 PM
OCD RC Freak
Joined Aug 2011
213 Posts
Flap Mod

Hey everyone! Just got back from 4 flights with the A-10 this morning! Tried out the flaps I installed and wanted to see how she tracked on the ground with the new wheels. WOW! What a difference! If anyone is having issues with this like I was, spend a few dollars and get the Dubro 1-1/2" foam wheels ultra light, here is a link http://shop.dubro.com/products/produ...50MW/101.0.1.1

Worth every penny in my opinion. Also the guy at the local hobby shop recommended bending the mains out about 15 degrees and this made a big difference too!

As far as the flaps go, they worked great too! Slowed the plane down alot and made landing smooth as silk and much slower, I highly recommend it. THanks for listening!

---Chuck
Last edited by chuckman49; May 20, 2012 at 02:03 PM. Reason: spelling
Old May 21, 2012, 06:45 AM
advanced n00b
United States, NE, Omaha
Joined Feb 2012
985 Posts
any video of the flights?
xfatdannx is offline Find More Posts by xfatdannx
Old May 21, 2012, 07:19 AM
OCD RC Freak
Joined Aug 2011
213 Posts
I wish! It's hard to get my friends to shoot video, they'd rather be flying!! :-)
Old May 25, 2012, 06:45 PM
OCD RC Freak
Joined Aug 2011
213 Posts
Here's a link to my maiden. Nothing exciting, but the up elevator required was a real shock. Since this video I've upgraded the wheels and added flaps. I will try to get some video this holiday weekend. She lands much easier now.

A-10 Maiden Flight 4_15_12 (4 min 28 sec)