HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 16, 2012, 09:52 PM
Always Fly 2 Mistakes High!
Houston, Texas
Joined Mar 2010
3,646 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckman49 View Post
Thanks Russ! Yeah, I'm using some sky lipos, 3S, 2650's as well. I was getting a safe 5 mins, when I got home yesterday, the charger put back 2150mah, which is right where I want to be. But I'm only flying at about 70-80% throttle. Any landing tips would be great...
Keep speed up and resist the ground effect flare...it bleeds off too much energy and always leaves too much of a nose wheel bounce. I fly off nice runway so it could be worse. I land great on the two mains but it's hard to grease a three point landing with the flare.
RGS2010 is offline Find More Posts by RGS2010
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Catch Up 2013-2014
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 17, 2012, 11:37 AM
OCD RC Freak
United States, CA, Riverside
Joined Aug 2011
213 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy70 View Post
Step 1 - Remove wimpy stock landing gear

Step 2 - Have someone give it a good heave and enjoy your flight

Step 3 - Cut power and glide keeping the nose pointed down just a bit the whole way down. Flare and land in the grass.

Step 4 - Pat yourself on the back for the beautiful grass belly landing you just performed

That's what I do with mine anyway...
Plus I bet it looks sweet in the air with no gear on... I have to use the gear where we fly, there is no grass, only pavement and rocky hills...
chuckman49 is offline Find More Posts by chuckman49
Old Apr 17, 2012, 11:43 AM
Canada
Joined Jul 2009
6,793 Posts
Quote:
Plus I bet it looks sweet in the air with no gear on... I have to use the gear where we fly, there is no grass, only pavement and rocky hills...
I prefer to see this take off from the ground anyway. Landing can be rough but if you epoxy the gears on really well, this only becomes a matter of unbending the front gear after the occasional hard landing in the rough.
Anybody put retracts on this Dynam? I've seen retracts put on another brand of A-10 (YouTube). I looked like a hatchet job.
xviper is offline Find More Posts by xviper
Old Apr 17, 2012, 02:22 PM
OCD RC Freak
Joined Aug 2011
213 Posts
Retracts would be cool, but wouldn't that add alot of weight??
Old Apr 17, 2012, 02:39 PM
Canada
Joined Jul 2009
6,793 Posts
Quote:
Retracts would be cool, but wouldn't that add alot of weight??
I presently fly this with 3S batteries. I am not dissatisfied with the way it performs. I have the black 40A ESCs, so I'll be going to 4S. This is supposed to give a good jump in performance. The added weight of retracts and 4S may not be noticable for me as compared to the wind resistence of fixed gear on 3S. My only concern is reducing the strength of the wings when a big hunk of foam is gouged out and also how much carnage there would be to the fuse to accommodate a nose retract. I land on a fairly rough surface, so belly landing is not desirable for that reason, too.
Last edited by xviper; Apr 17, 2012 at 04:15 PM.
Old Apr 17, 2012, 03:59 PM
Kapiti,NZ
Joined May 2006
45 Posts
Looks sweet when you can see the damn thing

Quote:
Wooded grassy sand dunes background on final approach and a hill as a background in the pattern.Low grey cloud,no gear,old guy with glasses flying and a camouflage paint job.Makes my Visa twitch.

Any ideas to improve orientation such as :
Flouro yellow tape on leading edges been suggested.

Your ideas appreciated.

Love this Hog-it's my fear factor flyer.

Thanks

Roger
Rogerdee is offline Find More Posts by Rogerdee
Last edited by Rogerdee; Apr 17, 2012 at 04:00 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old Apr 17, 2012, 04:55 PM
Always Fly 2 Mistakes High!
Houston, Texas
Joined Mar 2010
3,646 Posts
I put "invasion stripes" on bottom wing. Works great.
RGS2010 is offline Find More Posts by RGS2010
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Catch Up 2013-2014
Old Apr 18, 2012, 11:36 AM
OCD RC Freak
Joined Aug 2011
213 Posts
Someone definitely needs to try putting retracts on se we can all see if we want to do it too!!!
Old Apr 18, 2012, 07:47 PM
Canada
Joined Jul 2009
6,793 Posts
Quote:
Someone definitely needs to try putting retracts on se we can all see if we want to do it too!!!
Just ordered a set from HobbyKing...
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dproduct=12667

I'm sure there are better retracts out there (eg, Eflite) but I'm not willing to spend more money than this on what is already a fairly "cheap" model. Will see how I feel about the project when they arrive. This can take up to a month or more to Canada.
Old Apr 18, 2012, 09:12 PM
OCD RC Freak
Joined Aug 2011
213 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by xviper View Post
Just ordered a set from HobbyKing...
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dproduct=12667

I'm sure there are better retracts out there (eg, Eflite) but I'm not willing to spend more money than this on what is already a fairly "cheap" model. Will see how I feel about the project when they arrive. This can take up to a month or more to Canada.
Looks Awesome!! Keep us informed!! Lots of pics and vids. Thanks for trying this!!
Old Apr 21, 2012, 05:05 PM
OCD RC Freak
Joined Aug 2011
213 Posts
Has anyone tried setting up flaperons on this model?? Thinking about tryin to set this up tonight so I can test it in the morning.
Old Apr 22, 2012, 08:26 PM
Canada
Joined Jul 2009
6,793 Posts
I tried my A-10 on 4S, 2650 mah battery today. I found very little difference in the performance of the plane. It didn't fly any faster and didn't sound any different. In fact, the only thing of note was the fact that the battery (Turnigy NanoTech) got really hot and puffy after the flight. I then used an identical battery in my Vampire (for which the 4S was meant) and afterwards, the battery was normal. I then went back to using my 3S, 2200 mah battery in the A-10 and it performed as it always has - battery was only warm and no puffing. I'm going to stick with 3S batteries now. I'm quite happy with its performance envelope.
Old Apr 22, 2012, 09:38 PM
JOHN 3:16
Central Ohio
Joined Feb 2008
6,504 Posts
The A-10 pulls about 60a combined on 4s, compared to about 40a on the stock Vampire EDF setup.

Simply sounds like your lipo wasn't up to the task...
Sammy70 is offline Find More Posts by Sammy70
Old Apr 22, 2012, 10:01 PM
Canada
Joined Jul 2009
6,793 Posts
My 3S bats are 25C to 35C (Turnigy). My 4S bats are 25C to 50C (Turnigy Nanatech).
Old Apr 22, 2012, 10:09 PM
JOHN 3:16
Central Ohio
Joined Feb 2008
6,504 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by xviper View Post
My 3S bats are 25C to 35C (Turnigy). My 4S bats are 25C to 50C (Turnigy Nanatech).

That's fine and good, but if the 4s can't maintain 60a they will get hot/puffy.

You have a wattmeter right?

Charge up your 4s and hook it all up with the wattmeter. Run it WOT for at least 20-30 seconds and then check the voltage under load (while still WOT). That will tell you pretty quick how your pack is going to do.

Those 25c Nanos are at best 20c in my experience, so that's about 53a. The A-10 pulls more than that WOT, so if your pack can't maintain proper voltage under load the fan/motor rpms will suffer and it won't seem all that fast--just as you found out. It will also be very hard on your lipos.

I run 2650mah 4s 40c in my A-10 and she's a screamer
Sammy70 is offline Find More Posts by Sammy70