HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 21, 2010, 07:21 PM
Joined Jul 2009
697 Posts
Do you think the stock motors will handle 4S?
AirChime is offline Find More Posts by AirChime
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 21, 2010, 08:09 PM
Team Wack-a-Mole
Maryland
Joined Oct 2008
8,428 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AirChime View Post
Do you think the stock motors will handle 4S?
When the ESC has a linear BEC (built into the main ESC), then 4S will generate ALOT of heat into the ESC as it dissipates the unwanted voltage. Even if the FETs in the ESC can handle the ESC, the BEC portion of it won't like the extra power to dissipate. Using a low Internal resistance (High C rating) 3S is usually a MUCH better alternative then bumping up the cell count. There are OTHER alternatives too like 2 3S packs (one for each ESC) and rewiring it. That of course adds more weight and CG will be an issue.
Melnic is offline Find More Posts by Melnic
Old Aug 22, 2010, 12:26 PM
Joined Jul 2009
697 Posts
I just did a Watt meter test to compare this A-10 vs the Blitz/Starmax A-10 of the same size. I'm getting 397 Wp on the Dynam, and I think the Blitz was somewhere close to 500 watts. I'm not worried, as the Blitz version was pretty fast for an A-10, and would puff 2200 packs.

Dynam:
10.78 Vm
35.23 Ap

Blitz/Starmax
9 Vm
50 Ap

I might get a maiden in today.
Old Aug 22, 2010, 12:54 PM
Team Wack-a-Mole
Maryland
Joined Oct 2008
8,428 Posts
50A on a 2200mah 3S?? you definitly don't want to run stock packs like that. 30C or even 35C for sure. If it was dragging your pack down to 9Volts, that's way too much for a pack to handle. Sure to puff.
Melnic is offline Find More Posts by Melnic
Old Aug 22, 2010, 01:09 PM
Joined Jul 2009
697 Posts
Yep, that's why I had to go with 2650 30C packs! There's an entire thread on it all called "A-10 video," I don't want to get this one off on a tangent, as this A-10 has a better matched power plant.
Old Aug 24, 2010, 10:03 AM
Newton and I are good friends
United States, NC, Asheville
Joined Jan 2009
2,050 Posts
Id like to hear about how the stock motors handle 4s with the right esc's...plenty of room for a 4s lipo....

If i go 4s id b putting in retracts also so id put in a cc bec ......I think if you upgrade the landing gear then putting in two 3s lipos (one for each edf) is not gonna be to big of an issue....DJ
olwarbirds is offline Find More Posts by olwarbirds
Last edited by olwarbirds; Aug 24, 2010 at 10:13 AM.
Old Sep 05, 2010, 08:29 PM
Joined Jul 2009
697 Posts
Had a few flights on this bird and can't seem to nail a pefect landing yet. I keep wanting to bring it in really slow, and then I notice if I give it some up elevator to bleed off speed it shoots up very high compared to my other EDFs.

The stall speed is deceiving as the plane has no bad characteristics leading up to the stall. It will eventually just dip a wing and plummet, so don't be tempted to go too slow too low.

The foam is VERY durable! Way better than the Starmax. It takes quite a beating... I lost orientation and planted her into the ground and amazingly it just cracked in one place. A little glue and some putty and she's as good as new. Amazing. The Starmax would have been in several pieces.

I'm going to try reverse flaps (?). I want them to go up instead of down so this hopefully pushes the noise up for a higher AOA to get a slower landing.
Old Sep 05, 2010, 08:48 PM
birmingham Al.
Joined Aug 2005
1,186 Posts
Just installed a pair of RClander cyclone meteal fans and new esc's now i'm running 4's 2250 .Yea it huals ass now I also installed carbon spar ,she rocks now
killer vtwin is offline Find More Posts by killer vtwin
Old Sep 05, 2010, 09:01 PM
Joined Jan 2009
2,050 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by killer vtwin View Post
Just installed a pair of RClander cyclone meteal fans and new esc's now i'm running 4's 2250 .Yea it huals ass now I also installed carbon spar ,she rocks now
I bet it does, is this on the stock motors ? i bet a pair of those rcl metal fans sound sweeeet, love the way my rcl panther sounds....

Airchime, that sounds like an interesting idea, tried to maiden mine last weekend but during the takeoff my landing gear fell off, totally my fault I tried using hot glue to put the lg mounts in with and didnt get enuff contact of the lg mounts to the glue. Your right its tough I slid down the our runway which is a paved road and it didnt do much scarring up of the wings tips or belly, I did coat mine with wbpc so im sure that helped some too. The wind gods permitting im gonna try another maiden on mine tomorrow. I did get to maiden my rcl panther and that was a dream to fly hope this one is as nice... DJ
Old Sep 06, 2010, 06:52 PM
birmingham Al.
Joined Aug 2005
1,186 Posts
the rc landers are very quiet at half throttle she does what she used to do at full .this bird is extremely pitchy i have to get a spektrum receiver so I can dial it in right now I'm useing one those bananarama hobby radios there is no expo or travel adjust I did run up the stock motors wit 4s batts but I had these metal 64s lying around so I put em in .Remember change out your esc's before you plug in the 4s batt.I will fry you esc's if you dont
Old Sep 06, 2010, 07:10 PM
Joined Jul 2009
697 Posts
Thanks for the update on the 4S upgrade. Good to know the stock motors can handle it.

I tried out my spoilerons this evening and it resulted in a plop into the grass that ripped off the nose cannon. They made the plane take on a higher AOA, but also made the plane want to climb.

It's behavior is quite unlike my other EDFs and is very pitchy like you mention.
Old Sep 06, 2010, 07:34 PM
birmingham Al.
Joined Aug 2005
1,186 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AirChime View Post
Thanks for the update on the 4S upgrade. Good to know the stock motors can handle it.

I tried out my spoilerons this evening and it resulted in a plop into the grass that ripped off the nose cannon. They made the plane take on a higher AOA, but also made the plane want to climb.

It's behavior is quite unlike my other EDFs and is very pitchy like you mention.
yea i played around wit battery placement it was all stick and I had to be smooth and you gotta watch that stall speed she'll fool you and drop
Old Sep 06, 2010, 07:45 PM
Joined Jul 2009
697 Posts
THAT she will!! She'll look SO good and stable, creeping down to a crawl when all of a sudden one wing drops and it's all over!
Old Sep 06, 2010, 08:39 PM
Joined Jan 2009
2,050 Posts
Did my maiden flight today, front wheel fell off right b4 take off, so landing was done harrier style with NO damage, this bird is tuff !!! Major issue I had was that the factory cg is definately wrong mine was WAY nose heavy, soon as id go back to neutral elevator it wud go into a dive!!! it was a bit of a handfull as you will see in vid, but otherwise im very happy with its performance and I do see what u mean about it bein twitchy, definately gonna turn down my throws some and add a bit more expo.....
Where are u guys setting ur cg to be???... will post vid shortly....DJ
Old Sep 06, 2010, 09:00 PM
birmingham Al.
Joined Aug 2005
1,186 Posts
Ive been flying mine at about 1/2 to3/4 inch forward of the mains . I removed the landing gear .even bofore I hopped it up she would rog no problems still trying to work out the pitchiness throttle up she climbs throttle down she noses down itys real funky .on your final.