HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 08, 2010, 10:51 PM
Joined Jul 2009
697 Posts
Thanks for the pics. I took the nacelles apart today and the ESC inside the nacelle with a bit of a recess is very doable. I just need the time to do the cutting. I was VERY surprised that the EDF units are not glued to the nacelle! They are just sitting in there, which I think is a bad idea. Even if balanced (which I believe one is not as it can be seen off center by turning with my hand), the things vibrate quite a bit and that isn't good to be rattling around in there. I'm going to put a dab of glue on one side of the nacelle to keep them in place. Photos to follow.
AirChime is offline Find More Posts by AirChime
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 09, 2010, 11:49 AM
Newton and I are good friends
United States, NC, Asheville
Joined Jan 2009
2,050 Posts
Larry tks for the pics man...nice job on the air scoops...lol i will post pics before i fly it for sure...

Airchime, yup i found the same thing with the units not being glued in, totally agree this needs corrected.....thankfully mine are very well balanced, but with them just setting in there i can see the possibility of a disaster..DJ
olwarbirds is offline Find More Posts by olwarbirds
Old Aug 11, 2010, 02:20 PM
Joined Jan 2009
2,050 Posts
The edf units do set in slots so just a touch of hotglue is all thats needed, not a big prob...guys make sure to take apart your edf units completely then reassemble and use some loctite, found that all mine were loose already or had never been tightened up to begin with, found one of my motors loose enuff to move back and forth a good 1/4 inch. The manual has a good pic showing how to disassemble the edf units.....

Esc cooling: if you put a 1 inch cooling intake hole you need to put 3x that for the exit, so you should have 3 1" holes or one 3" hole, by doing this you will draw a better flow of air in your intake and experience no kind of loss of performance....DJ
Old Aug 11, 2010, 03:27 PM
Team Wack-a-Mole
Maryland
Joined Oct 2008
8,428 Posts
Anyone have flight video of the Nitroplanes version flying?
Loops? rolls etc? I'm thinking of getting the 72mhz version cause the 2.4ghz is Out of stock then throwing my own Rx into it.

Melnic is offline Find More Posts by Melnic
Old Aug 11, 2010, 03:53 PM
Joined Jan 2009
2,050 Posts
Melnic, I have not flown mine yet. Ive been kinda busy and doing some simple mods too. I think the only one posting who has flown so far is Larry and he said once it was setup right it flew great. Soon as im ready to maiden mine I will do a vid....I bought the 72mhz version too, I dont trust any rtf stuff so I always plan on putting a spektrum rcvr in... DJ

off topic, where do u live and fly at in MD, I live in wv right below hagerstown md...if you dont live to far away u wud be more than welcome to come and check mine out anytime man....DJ
Old Aug 11, 2010, 08:26 PM
Adirondack Mtns. New York
Joined Nov 2009
20 Posts
DJ , I will be gluing the EDF units, sounds like a good idea, the screws on my engine pods have remained tight but loctite can't hurt.

Melnic, The A-10 does loops and rolls very nicely and is a very stable aircraft, I have the RTF version with the 2.4Ghz radio and I like the servo rate control.
If I get some video soon I'll post, but my camera isn't the greatest for video.
Don't be afraid to fly it off grass if you get one, just put bigger wheels on it.
larry mihalik is offline Find More Posts by larry mihalik
Old Aug 12, 2010, 12:46 PM
Joined Jan 2009
2,050 Posts
ESC cooling: made an interesting discovery today. The way the wires are routed from the esc's to the motors makes a nice airflow channel. Just open a hole in bottom of fuse right behind the gun mount, then if u like u can use the cool idea larry did (maken a scoop out of a plastic spoon) the air then flows in over lipo thru the fuse and the exhaust side of the edfs pull air out thru the holes the wires going to motor come out of. I could actually feel the air being pulled in the intake hole I put in bottom of fuse in above location...it will be even better in flight.....
After taking apart your nacelles to check ur edf units. when reassembling make sure to seal up the gap between the two halves. I noticed mine had a gap big enough to see light thru. After sealing up this gap, I did get a noticable increase in thrust. I used a foam safe glue I got at michaels called...Make it fun StyroGlue...its cheap, dries clear, water clean up and stays a bit pliable, which makes it easy to take something apart in the future like these nacelles...happy flyn.. DJ
Old Aug 12, 2010, 09:30 PM
Joined Nov 2009
20 Posts
DJ, interesting observations, so what your saying is that you probably only need the one air intake at the front of the fuselage and the air exhaust is provided by the force of ducted air past the motor wire channels, neat.

I just checked the engine pod seam with a flashlight and your right, each outer seam has a noticeable gap, thanks for the info, I will definitely seal that up before my next flight.
Old Aug 12, 2010, 11:15 PM
Joined Jan 2009
2,050 Posts
Larry yw man, dont know the technical term for that but the airflow from the exhaust creates a suction thru those wire channels, enuff that a piece of toilet paper sucked up to the intake hole i cut. Us few here are playing labrats on this one and part of the fun is discovering all the things we can do to make it a better performing plane for us and those who get it in the future. Weather permitting hope to fly mine this weekend...
Touch up paint: I got the desert camo, what im going to do is go into lowes or home depot and have them do a color spektrum comparison and make up sample paints for touch ups..three colors usually run about 10$ and that will give u enuff paint to completely redo the plane if needed several times...ill post the barcodes once ive done this then anyone can go to which ever store and just have them make up the paint for them....if someone with the other paint schemes could do this then we will have all the different barcodes for the three different paint schemes...
Really surprised more owners havnt joined in yet since NP seems to be sold out of almost all the versions now...need some vids guys....DJ
Old Aug 16, 2010, 02:32 PM
Joined Jan 2009
2,050 Posts
no maiden yet, it was too wet this past weekend... DJ
Old Aug 17, 2010, 08:36 PM
Joined Nov 2009
20 Posts
Hey DJ, looks like you left your spoon on the aircraft., I like that paint scheme.
I couldn't find that Styro glue but I did get some Elmers craft bond and it is foam safe and it dried clear, everything is glued and ready to go, hopefully this weekend. Our club is having it's 24th annual giant scale air show.
Old Aug 19, 2010, 01:32 PM
Joined Jan 2009
2,050 Posts
Hahahaha Larry ur spoon idea for airscoop blends in nice once i sanded it some to shape and recessed it a bit into the fuse...hope to fly mine soon, weather has not been cooperating at all... DJ
Last edited by olwarbirds; Aug 19, 2010 at 02:47 PM.
Old Aug 21, 2010, 12:23 PM
Team Wack-a-Mole
Maryland
Joined Oct 2008
8,428 Posts
hey, if I get a free weekend, I may take you up on it. Been traveling much
Melnic is offline Find More Posts by Melnic
Last edited by Melnic; Oct 13, 2011 at 08:53 AM.
Old Aug 21, 2010, 04:45 PM
Joined Jul 2009
697 Posts
Hey guys.

I got the body mods done, and unfortunately one of my fans is WAY out of balance! I need to spend some time on it. The aesthetic mods went quite well and weren't all that difficult. I took some video and if I get time will slap it together for youtube once I get some flying footage.

Glue is currently drying on the landing gear mounts. I ended up replacing the wheels, and also shortened the mains by 3/4 of an inch! The thing looked REALLY odd with such a nose down attitude with the stock setup. I'm sure that also led to some of the take off difficulty Tony from Nitroplanes had on his videos.

I am going to put on some flat colors (green camo) to improve the look and disguise the body work I did, and then she'll be ready to maiden.
AirChime is offline Find More Posts by AirChime
Old Aug 21, 2010, 07:18 PM
birmingham Al.
Joined Aug 2005
1,186 Posts
been flying mine for about two months got from nitroplanes,flies like a trainer,thought I'd trv a 4s and fried esc's replacd them with some hobby wing esc's those are programmable still havent tried 4's yet but I removed landing gear .no problems taking of the grass .
killer vtwin is offline Find More Posts by killer vtwin