Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Aug 04, 2010, 04:18 PM
Newton and I are good friends
United States, NC, Asheville
Joined Jan 2009
2,050 Posts
Did a 15 and 30 second bench test on everything and the esc's got very hot, almost to hot to hold...can definately see a need to seperate them some and find a way to get some airflow across them like AirChime mentioned...after this im sure i will also put in a seperate bec just to be safe...anybody wanting help on how to wire in a bec with two esc's let me know and ill send ya a wiring diagram....DJ
olwarbirds is offline Find More Posts by olwarbirds
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 04, 2010, 08:48 PM
Adirondack Mtns. New York
Joined Nov 2009
20 Posts
Haven't had any problems with ESC's overheating since putting in 2 airscoops on the belly, they were made from plastic spoon halfs.

DJ, on those lipo connectors I really like those bullet connectors better than deans clips cause they are easier to grip with less chance of breaking a wire. I found them on ebay and got some to put on another battery and also make another connection for my battery charger.
larry mihalik is offline Find More Posts by larry mihalik
Last edited by larry mihalik; Aug 04, 2010 at 09:01 PM.
Old Aug 04, 2010, 10:09 PM
Joined Jan 2009
2,050 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by larry mihalik View Post
Haven't had any problems with ESC's overheating since putting in 2 airscoops on the belly, they were made from plastic spoon halfs.

DJ, on those lipo connectors I really like those bullet connectors better than deans clips cause they are easier to grip with less chance of breaking a wire. I found them on ebay and got some to put on another battery and also make another connection for my battery charger.
Larry good idea man...post pics if u can pls...also what is the name of those connectors and a link if possible...im not all that big on deans anymore myself..like these new connectors just not sure what they are called.... definately no sparks like the deans....DJ
Old Aug 05, 2010, 06:16 AM
Joined Jul 2009
697 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by olwarbirds View Post
Did a 15 and 30 second bench test on everything and the esc's got very hot, almost to hot to hold...can definately see a need to seperate them some and find a way to get some airflow across them like AirChime mentioned...after this im sure i will also put in a seperate bec just to be safe...anybody wanting help on how to wire in a bec with two esc's let me know and ill send ya a wiring diagram....DJ
It's no harder than wiring it to a single ESC. Just disconnect the red wires going to from the ESCs to the RX and solder the BEC inline to the power supply.

I did it on my Blitz/Starmax A-10.
AirChime is offline Find More Posts by AirChime
Old Aug 05, 2010, 11:47 AM
Joined Jan 2009
2,050 Posts
Yeah its not hard, but can vary on how there wired according to which manufacturers you get....on the dynam there is a y harness from the esc to rcvr that you will just have to remove the one red wire (one in the middle) from the connector and tape it off...

Make sure to put your pushrods on control surfaces then slide them into the servos before you attach them in place....also the wires from the esc to motors make sure the bullett connectors are tight and would suggest putting tape on them to hold them together also, mine pull apart with a very gentle pull...my motors and fans seem to be a well balanced match but will check the balance before final assembly and check all screws and put a bit of loctite on them....DJ
Old Aug 05, 2010, 09:25 PM
Joined Nov 2009
20 Posts
DJ, here is the link where I purchased the bullet connectors, I also found that I didn't push the connectors together enough after my first flight, push them in till you feel a snap, then they are tight.
I'll get a photo of the airscoops soon, looking forward to seeing your retract mod.

http://cgi.ebay.com/6-pair-4-mm-4mm-...ts_Accessories
Old Aug 06, 2010, 06:36 AM
Joined Jan 2009
2,050 Posts
Larry tks for link, now I know what there called...they sure are nice to plug together and take apart ..with my big mits I was always worried about pulling deans apart cuz i had to grab the wires too....plus the prices isnt bad at all...

Gonna fly my A-10 all stock first ...except i did put a ar6100 rcvr in it and im adding cooling holes...DJ
Old Aug 06, 2010, 12:07 PM
Joined Jan 2009
2,050 Posts
Hits and Misses....
Hits: Very simple construction, decent manual (amazing), big lipo compartment, easy access to motors for maintenance and upgrades, strong main wing with support tubes molded in (dont see this one snapping like some others), lots of room to add retracts easily, servo wire tracks very neatly done , edf units are very well balanced on mine, decent looking paint job.
Misses: Big misses, no cooling for esc's, if you glue on the nacelle edf units you are going to have a very hardtime replacing a motor or esc (working on upgrade for this) the frame is strong all the way to where the nacelle edf units mount, I think the area behind them will break off with the tail feathers very easily and its got to much flex in this area, when given up elevator not only does the elevator go up but the whole fuse flexes upwards too (could be why it being touchy on elevators was previously mentioned) im putting a cf tube in fuse to correct this. Wheels are too small and too soft(they get flat spots just from bare frame sitting on them).
Overall im pleased with my purchase for the price. All the above misses are gonna be fairly easy fixes... I will post pics of all upgrades etc soon as im done...happy buildn and flyn... DJ
Old Aug 06, 2010, 09:13 PM
Joined Jul 2009
697 Posts
Mine came today and I am making a few mods to the appearance as well as the ESC. The nacelles are completely rounded, and they should be flat on top. Also, the lines of the fuselage behind the canopy is wrong. I'm sanding both down to be more accurate. Those both stuck out like sore thumbs to me for some reason.

I'm concerned over the lack of a real hinge on the control surfaces, as well as the elevator having too much flex due to the one servo setup. I'll give it a shot, but might go back and modify that later.

For the ESCs, I'm debating about putting them inside the nacelle. That would be the ultimate cooling, and would be similar to Starmax's setup. The other option would be to cut holes in the bottom of the fuse... We shall see!
Old Aug 06, 2010, 10:18 PM
Joined Jan 2009
2,050 Posts
http://www.globalsecurity.org/milita.../a-10-pics.htm
lots of good A-10 pics and some history...
flat on top??? not any real A-10's ive been on...each to what they like ...i think dynam did a good job on the appearance....
I thought about putting the esc's in the nacelles too, thats gonna create a tail heavy situation....but that would be the best cooling going....but can also cause air flow buffeting out the tubes resulting in a thrust loss...
EPO foam planes often dont use or need regular hinges the epo flexes well and works good as a hinge for a very long time, normally i put a bit of packing tape along the hinge line and they last for yrs...
we will all have different ways of upgrading our new A-10's and look forward to hearing how and seeing the pics and vids soon...
Airchime did u notice ur fuse flexing when u worked the elevator or is just the elevator flexing?...i was thinking about putting another servo on mine too but again more tail weight...an A-10 takes very little elevator throw for alot of response....DJ
Old Aug 06, 2010, 10:24 PM
Joined Jul 2009
697 Posts
Maybe I used the wrong term. Look at this pic http://www.globalsecurity.org/milita...ages/a10_1.jpg

The nacelles turn into perfect cylinders on the top half at least toward the middle section. The Starmax was molded perfectly, but the Dynam holds the same contour all the way around.

I haven't installed the elevator yet, but I was breaking in the built in hinge by bending back and forth and noticed that when i pushed on the horn the side with the horn liked to move a bit more than the side w/o.

Also, the angle of the vertical stabs is wrong. They need to be rotated forward as the front bottom corners need to point down more. This will be fixed with some dremel action and filling with foam and glue. For the money, it seems as though this A-10 is well worth it.
Old Aug 07, 2010, 09:05 AM
Joined Jan 2009
2,050 Posts
Airchime, got what ur talking about now guy. My elevator was doing the same thing till i worked it for awhile, that elevator hinge is very tight for sure. I noticed the vertical stabs being not quite tilted forward as much as they shud be but thats an easy fix too. I totally agree for the money it seems to be a decent A-10. Now to see how it flies after all the changes... DJ
Old Aug 07, 2010, 03:57 PM
Joined Jul 2009
697 Posts
Glad you see it now DJ. I'm being a bit of a perfectionist with this one, but that's only because the Starmax one I had previously nailed those features.

I'm putting the final touches on my body work and look forward to building it. It also seems like the ESCs in the nacelles is the best way to go. I might use the dremel to make a bit of a pocket for them as to not completely disturb airflow.
Old Aug 07, 2010, 07:28 PM
Joined Jan 2009
2,050 Posts
Not a thing wrong at all with wanting to make your model more scale looking ...thats one of the few things I do miss about building scale balsa stuff...think hollowing out a place in nacelles for the esc's is a good idea...im going with cooling holes first...gonna be interesting to see how each persons upgrades work out....its fun being the some of the first to be posting stuff on this one ....

Pls post pics on how your doing ur upgrades, once we get what all needs done with this model to make it right, I will compile a list to pass on to the new guys buying them and joining in with us...other than the esc cooling, reinforcements etc im leaving mine stock untill I fly it for a few weeks...knowing how i am about things, im sure ill be changing out the motors and esc's ....adding retracts...maybe even rudders too, this is gonna be the only plane ive ever had that didnt have rudder control..guess I wont b tryn any knife edges with this one .... DJ
Old Aug 08, 2010, 06:19 PM
Joined Nov 2009
20 Posts
Guys, the elevator was very stiff on mine also, I had to work it for awhile to loosen it up, but you sure don't need much travel to make pitch changes on the A-10.

Let's see some pics when you guys get done before you fly, just in case.

Here's the front and rear air duct on mine.