HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 04, 2010, 09:14 PM
Newton and I are good friends
United States, NC, Asheville
Joined Jan 2009
2,050 Posts
Larry tks for update and it sounds like you got it right man.....

How is the finish, is there easy access to fans & motors for upgrades

Do you think retracts would fit.....

I doubt the stock motors and esc's r gonna hold up with a 4s lipo very long.... DJ

Pls take vid...
olwarbirds is offline Find More Posts by olwarbirds
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 05, 2010, 02:49 PM
Adirondack Mtns. New York
Joined Nov 2009
20 Posts
SUCCESSFUL FLIGHT TODAY The A-10 needed about 150 ft. on the grass before it rotated, I had one of the club expert pilots take off and land, I just flew it around for awhile. We had just under 5 minutes on it and the battery still had 11.38 volts.
We had the servo rate control on the transmitter set to full but that was too sensitive so we turned it down about 30%, I had moved the battery back as we thought it might be nose heavy but it turned out that it was a little tail heavy so I'll be going back to the published CG.
The elevator had too much affect and the ailerons not enough so I reduced the throw on the elevator and increased the ailerons.
Overall I was pleased with the flight especially being able to takeoff from grass ,now just have to keep making adjustments till it's perfect. One other thing when you connect the battery make sure the bullet connectors snap into place.

DJ I think the finish for a foam aircraft is very good and as far as motor or fan upgrades the top half of the engine pod is held on by 7 screws so changes shouldn't be a problem.
This A-10 appears to be basically the same as the one from BH with the retracts, so you probably can fit them but I don't have any aircraft with retracts so I'm not positive.
I don't know if I'll try using a 4 cell Lipo now that it flies on 3, but might get one of the guys with a watt meter to check the draw with the 4 cell.
Hopefully will fly Wednesday morning, I'll report back.

Here's how it was flown, with the bigger wheels.
larry mihalik is offline Find More Posts by larry mihalik
Old Jul 05, 2010, 03:27 PM
Joined Jan 2009
2,050 Posts
Larry, tks much for the update, really glad to hear it flew for ya this time. Tks much also for answering my questions, it looks good in the photo.
Pls keep us posted on your progress with it. Im still kinda torn as to which one i want yet....but got the wants for a A-10 bad... DJ
Old Jul 05, 2010, 03:59 PM
Houston, TX
Joined Jan 2008
5,755 Posts
Larry, Thanks for the report. Not hand launching easily will keep it out of my hangar. I'll look to the Guanli/GWS one then. The 40" and 50" ones from BH is really really nice but out of my price range so I'll go the super simple GWS route.
dude_109 is offline Find More Posts by dude_109
Old Jul 06, 2010, 06:27 AM
Joined Nov 2009
20 Posts
DJ, I see BH has the same size A-10 with retracts and with shipping would cost you about $49. more than the fixed gear model from Nitro, maybe worth it if you really want retracts. Since we're on grass here there's only one guy in the club with a large DFJ with retracts that can handle grass takeoffs.

dude, we have 2 guys in the club with the smaller A-10 and they hand launch theirs, I just wanted to get away from more hand launches, my Catalina and powered glider are hand launch, but 2 gas planes fly off grass easily.
Old Jul 06, 2010, 04:34 PM
Joined Jan 2009
2,050 Posts
Larry, I hear ya on the hand launching. If I have to hand launch anything other than a glider then I dont want it...to me a big part of flying is the take off from ground and landing...I do blv the BH jpwr A-10 is a bit bigger than the one from NP....i was thinking same pwr in a smaller frame little better performance, but from what your saying there stock setup is lacking and its not available as a airframe only yet...tks for the info man.... DJ
Old Jul 11, 2010, 07:47 PM
Joined Nov 2009
20 Posts
Finally got some decent weather and flew the A-10 this morning, it flew even better now that I reduced the elevator travel and increased the aileron travel. I put the battery in a spot to give it the published CG and it got up in about 100 ft. but we still turned down the servo control on the transmitter to about 75% of Max.
One problem did crop up, about 3 min. into the flight one of the motors quit but the aircraft still flew fine, so we brought it in and as soon as it landed I checked the motors and they both ran fine. I guess one of the ESC's overheated, it was a hot humid day and there is no airflow thru the A-10.
I'm gonna put an air intake behind the gun and a vent at the back of the plane, hopefully this will fix the problem.
Old Jul 20, 2010, 01:18 PM
Joined Jan 2009
2,050 Posts
Larry any updates on the A-10...or anyone else flyn it yet... DJ
Old Jul 21, 2010, 12:00 PM
USA, CA, Sacramento
Joined May 2010
15 Posts
a-10 nitroplanes

i as well have this plane it has tones of power.but like the other posts have said the landing gear is crap and it flys great just like the nitroplanes video just gotta push the batt back a little and the cg will be perfect but other wise great plane wouldnt use as a beginner edf has alot of power and if ur using the stock transmitter dont turn the servo adjuster all the way up till u get the feel for the plane cause it can be very very touchy but all in all a great plane at a great price.also i would recommend after market trans and rec for the plane just so u have a better feel in the air hope this helps everyone
chrisb22 is offline Find More Posts by chrisb22
Old Jul 21, 2010, 12:20 PM
Team Wack-a-Mole
Maryland
Joined Oct 2008
8,439 Posts
Larry, this is the one you have?

I fly off a grass field and have been flying the A4 alot but was looking at the A10. I"d be taking the landing gear off and belly landing. Anyone here belly land theirs?
Melnic is offline Find More Posts by Melnic
Last edited by Melnic; Jan 06, 2012 at 02:34 PM.
Old Jul 21, 2010, 05:18 PM
Joined Jan 2009
2,050 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisb22 View Post
i as well have this plane it has tones of power.but like the other posts have said the landing gear is crap and it flys great just like the nitroplanes video just gotta push the batt back a little and the cg will be perfect but other wise great plane wouldnt use as a beginner edf has alot of power and if ur using the stock transmitter dont turn the servo adjuster all the way up till u get the feel for the plane cause it can be very very touchy but all in all a great plane at a great price.also i would recommend after market trans and rec for the plane just so u have a better feel in the air hope this helps everyone
Chrisb tks much for the input into r new thread, nice to hear others having success with this nice looking A-10....

What is the distance back from LE for the cg u found to be good with the stock lipo?....landing gear is an easy fix, just get retracts or make a new set out of some piano wire, after i get mine (soon) I plan on putting in electric retracts....I will post the pics on how i do this...i can never leave anything stock, will probable upgrade motors too eventually.....

Melnic, I can answer that ? for Larry, yes that is the plane were talking about ....happy buildn and flyn.... DJ
Old Jul 21, 2010, 08:47 PM
Joined Nov 2009
20 Posts
Guy's I flew the A-10 again today for 5 min., flew great. I added 2 air scoops to help cool the ESC's, one intake in the bottom front and air exhaust on the bottom just ahead of the wing.
With the bigger wheels I'm not having any problems with the landing gear, I even taxied the aircraft out and made a 90* turn before takeoff.
I'm finding that the published CG is working fine for me, the front of the battery is even with the back of the second rib on the sidewalls of the fuselage.
As chrisb suggested the servo adjust needs to be turned down unless you want ultra quick snap rolls, mine is set in the 2 o'clock position.

Melnic the aircraft flies great off grass if you put bigger wheels on it, I put a 2.5" DU-BRO micro sport wheel on the front, and 1.86" DU-BRO micro sport wheels on the mains, use wheel collars on both sides of each wheel.
We had no luck trying to hand launch but that could be my fault, if you don't want landing gear than a catapult launch might be best.
Looking forward to hearing other flight experiences, this plane flies great when it's trimmed right.
Old Jul 31, 2010, 10:41 AM
Joined Jan 2009
2,050 Posts
Guys how bout some pics of your upgrades....

Got mine ordered, still waiting on delivery

Will post assembly pics and upgrades as I go, nitro planes has a cheaper 72mhz version for those wanting to use there own radio gear.. DJ
Old Jul 31, 2010, 10:55 AM
Joined Jul 2009
697 Posts
I just ordered the ARF version from nitroplanes after crashing and totaling my BlitzRCWorks aka Starmax A-10 from BH... The retracts on the BH plane were cheap and couldn't take much less than a perfect landing. Since the Dynam is about the same size, and $60 cheaper w/o retracts I figured I'd try it out. From photos, I think the Starmax model looks more realistic (wheels aside), such as nacelle shape, angle of the vertical stabs, and shape of the fuse, but For $60 savings I'm willing to give this one a shot.

I'm wondering if the Nitroplanes ARF comes with servos or not (only says ESC and motors)? If not, no big deal as I have plenty of spares to throw in. I didn't want the stock radio system, and the 72mhz was $15 more than the ARF version.

When I get this bird, I'm interested to see how flimsy the gear are. I will definitely be putting more scale wheels on it. I hate black hubs when they should be white (how hard is it to mold white plastic vs black?), plus they're way too small for this plane's size.

I will also be looking to modify how the vertical stabs mount, as they should be rotated forward more.

Lastly, I will see if I can engineer a way to mount the ESCs to get some air flow, but if it's too much of a hassle I'll forget it. I've only heard of one person that potentially had an ESC overheat/shutdown issue.

A-10's rule, and I want to maintain one in my active fleet. If this one ends up being terrible and dies, I'll be keeping my eye on the monster LX 70mm A-10 that is in the works.
AirChime is offline Find More Posts by AirChime
Old Aug 04, 2010, 03:09 PM
Joined Jan 2009
2,050 Posts
Looks good

Woohoo got mine today...dont see any probs with the appearance at all...was packed very nicely, double boxed etc....only things im not to crazy about are...the pwr connector on the lipo to esc is something i havnt seen yet...sure ill be changing that...and im gonna upgrade the landing gear to electric retracts very soon....will post pics on all soon as im done...sure is a small lipo for a 2200mah....DJ
Last edited by olwarbirds; Aug 04, 2010 at 03:22 PM.