SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Nov 15, 2010, 05:55 PM
Newton and I are good friends
United States, NC, Asheville
Joined Jan 2009
2,050 Posts
Russ, positive side, least ya wasnt airborne when it failed....was that the stock banana plug, ec3 or deans ??? DJ
olwarbirds is offline Find More Posts by olwarbirds
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 15, 2010, 09:24 PM
United States, OH, Dayton
Joined Aug 2010
163 Posts
Well after adjusting reading your responses, and some other threads as well, I adjusted the CG a bit, tried to "reset" my esc's, staged up to a 35c 2100 mah lipo, and readjusted the trim on the elevator. Make it to the field, and 15-18 mph winds. the only fortunate part about the wind was it was straight down the runway.... kinda... so powered up and away we went. Jumped into the air. nose kept pointing to the ground like a compass to north. Trimmed about 3/4 and got it straightened out. Seemed much quicker. After a few rolls, and some stalls at safe altitude to see what it would do. Brought it in a few approaches to just see how it would settle in. Fianlly had good wind down the runway and brought it in for a picture perfect landing, which was celebrated with me and my buddy yelling and jumping around. Put her on the table for an adjustment or two and through in a new lipo. Up, up, and away... Once again great flight and brought her back around for landing, this time not so picture perfect, hard landing, but only bent the gear.... Anyway thanks for your help guys. I was very happy to see this thing fly like I thought it would. Cant wait to get her back up, hawggin the airspace. Thanks

Kyle
Kwilletts is offline Find More Posts by Kwilletts
Old Nov 16, 2010, 04:40 AM
Joined Jan 2009
2,050 Posts
Kyle, im still tryn to get an answer from dynam on how to program those esc's...So do you think that your lack of power was the lipo, im sure that 35c livens it up nicely...im planning on running at least a 40c or higher in all my edf's it does make a big difference.. glad you had some good flights....DJ
Old Nov 16, 2010, 08:29 AM
Always Fly 2 Mistakes High!
Houston, Texas
Joined Mar 2010
3,635 Posts
ED3 Connector

Quote:
Originally Posted by olwarbirds View Post
Russ, positive side, least ya wasnt airborne when it failed....was that the stock banana plug, ec3 or deans ??? DJ
The connector was my own EC3 so nobody to blame but me. It gave me a chance last night to solder on some bigger gauge wire to better match the ESC size wire...actually a little bigger...with new EC3 connector and now it's connecting every time! Bench testing is always a good idea! Duh !!!

I have it in my trunk and it's burning a hole until this afternoon, hopefully.

I just got in my first order from HK USA Warehouse...3S-2650 30C Turnigy and it arrived in 4 days from the time hit the order key on my keyboard. It looks like a great fit for the A-10. It's a bit longer than the normal Rhino's and Turnigy's but that's no big deal and the weight isn't that much more either.

Russ
RGS2010 is offline Find More Posts by RGS2010
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Catch Up 2013-2014
Old Nov 16, 2010, 04:47 PM
Joined Jan 2009
2,050 Posts
Russ, ive had probs a few times with ec3's not soldering good, had that happen on helis. Really need to tin them good first...that lipo shud give it some more power for sure....DJ
Old Nov 17, 2010, 10:03 AM
Houston, Texas
Joined Mar 2010
3,635 Posts
Battery Disaster!

I went out to the flying field for a second flight of the A-10 last night. Time is short after work so I got to the flying field with about 45 of good flying time left. I set up and ran up the engines and all was well. I balanced the battery in the plane and had to reposition it once and when I did, the velcro came half off...since I was in a hurry I just stuck it back on 'cos it was new velcro o a new battery so I thought it would stick okay for the flight....WRONG!

I took off and it climbed out nicely and at about 30 feet up it turned on its tail and went straight up (battery came loose) and then nosed over and crashed straight down on its nose!

All electronics are fine including battery (@#@$@%@^#$) and the wing was undamaged also...not a scratch...sure glad I didn't decide to epoxy it to fuselage.

Also glad I bought that extra air frame at the same time I bought the original...first time I ever did that...must have been fate. So started migrating electronics last night...it begins anew.

Be SURE that I will build in some type of battery hold down this time...other than just velcro!

Russ
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 17, 2010, 11:35 AM
"LiPo-Blaster"
Duluth, GA
Joined Apr 2009
932 Posts
Sorry to hear about that Russ. Glad you have that extra airframe, maybe I should get one too. $45.00 from Nitroplanes is hard to beat.
I'll make sure I have a secure battery box after seeing this. Wiring in my 60A esc's now, then the assembly begins.
RugFlyer is offline Find More Posts by RugFlyer
Old Nov 17, 2010, 12:49 PM
Team Wack-a-Mole
Maryland
Joined Oct 2008
8,439 Posts
yea, velcro is one thing if you strap it down.

Any time I have a "hatch" I rubberband it down wrapped around the fuse. I don't trust the magnets either. A guy at my field had an electric trainer, did a loop and the battery came out and lost the hatch too!
Melnic is offline Find More Posts by Melnic
Last edited by Melnic; Oct 13, 2011 at 08:52 AM.
Old Nov 17, 2010, 01:09 PM
Houston, Texas
Joined Mar 2010
3,635 Posts
Yeah, I thought okay if it comes loose the hatch will still hold it in (not 100% but you know) but I didn't count on it slipping backwards so far!

Russ
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 17, 2010, 03:19 PM
Joined Jan 2009
2,050 Posts
Russ, sorry to see that one, your carnage looks the about the same as mine did. No wing or horizontal stab damage just fuselage....what I do to secure the lipo better is I got some long lengths of velcro from walmart, its cheap a couple $...I adhere it to the fuse on both ends and both sides with epoxy or gorilla glue, so then u have the piece down the middle underneath and a hook and loop on each end so its secured in 3 places.Its a light weight and inexpensive fix and you get plenty to do lots of planes. In my crash the lipo even stayed in place...DJ
Old Nov 17, 2010, 03:22 PM
Joined Jan 2009
2,050 Posts
If needed i can post pics of how i do this...let me know... DJ
Old Nov 18, 2010, 07:31 AM
Houston, Texas
Joined Mar 2010
3,635 Posts
Build in Progress

Pics are always nice ...thanks.

I have hold-downs on my other planes but I just got too much in a hurry to fly and it cost me. I'm thinking about putting a piece of foam in one of the "slots" behind the battery to keep it from sliding backwards again in addition to whatever kind of strapping system I use.

Since I'm building from kit...I'm putting in a jet pilot figure, threadlocking fan to motor and taking time to give it some quality attention. The motors were installed in nacelles last night, glued in nacelle clips to get them screwed in later tonight...will make sure that I get a really airtight fit.

Did you guys glue your horizontal stab or just use screws? I glued my first one so it's unusable now...will have to do the carbon fiber mod again but still have some left from last time.

This airframe fuselage I'm working with now is BARELY glued together at all. I picked it up and the nose almost split in two. Will give it a good expoxy job from nose to tail down the seam tonight.

Other scratch building tips?

Thanks,
Russ
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 18, 2010, 08:18 AM
Joined Jan 2009
2,050 Posts
Russ, I did not glue my horizontal stab on. Very good idea to threadlock the edf unit. I noticed same thing on all three of my fuselages that the two halves were poorly put together, I do believe they used hotglue to do that. I will be working on my stock version today and soon as im done doing all my build upgrades i will get some pics posted

Where did u find a jet pilot figure to fit??? DJ
Old Nov 18, 2010, 12:03 PM
Houston, Texas
Joined Mar 2010
3,635 Posts
I"ve had it for years!

I'm pretty sure I got it from Hobby Lobby when they were pretty much the only game in town...as far as I knew...probably back in the late 90's. It's a shoulder bust that looks like it was made for the space, I only had to glue a small piece of ply on bottom to make him sit up enough to see over dash but still get canopy on. I'll post pics when I'm done with him. He has a red helmet and oxygen mask on his face. He has a kinda scared look on his face 'cos he saw the other A-10 airframe!!!

Russ

P.S. I ran up the engines last night for the first time after the crash and both were still humming along in perfect unison. I took the opportunity to put a watt meter on it and with a 30C 3S-2650, it pulled 35 amps WOT. It was something over 400 watts but couldn't see it well 'cos I was holding both engines in my hands while going WOT. I also put a piece of dense foam rubber (about 1/4 to 3/8") between the two 40 amp Dynam ESC's and put one piece of electrical tape around the whole thing to keep 'em separated and cooler, I hope. Also put electrical tape on all motor connectors just as added piece of mind.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by RGS2010; Nov 18, 2010 at 12:10 PM.
Old Nov 19, 2010, 10:24 AM
Joined Jan 2009
2,050 Posts
Russ, that pilot wanted to know "wheres my legs dude, I wanna run!! " ...

Good idea on the esc seperation, i did same along with electrical tape around all the bullet connectors, they were too loose and i didnt trust them at all...glad to hear your edf units are good and not sounding like a podracer from starwars...tryn to get both mine done so i can post pics...soon...DJ