Old Nov 09, 2010, 01:49 PM
Always Fly 2 Mistakes High!
Houston, Texas
Joined Mar 2010
3,635 Posts
Bouncy Flight?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reco View Post
Have the CG issues been worked out or was the bouncy flight sue to that setup? How much up elevator does this thing need?
If you are referring to my flight...the CG was perfect. I thought the flight was smooth and stable...the landing...well that was just pilot error and lack of plane familiarity. I had at least 3 or 4mm of up elevator set as default and it still took a couple of clicks up elevator to trim it just right. But it took full speed to get it to loop. When I tried from about 60% throttle it just stalled (looked like I planned a hammerhead but I didn't). Make sure you have 100% elevator control on your maiden, is my advice. I balanced it upside down per Dynam recs and it was fine.

Sure would be nice to have tougher landing gear! I landed too hard but it would not have torn out landing gear on any other plane that I own. It did epoxy right back in but still...

Russ
RGS2010 is offline Find More Posts by RGS2010
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Catch Up 2013-2014
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 09, 2010, 10:23 PM
Newton and I are good friends
United States, NC, Asheville
Joined Jan 2009
2,050 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYGUY24/7 View Post
DJ Hott setup for A-10 has been shipped
Great news Chuck cant wait to set it up buddy....DJ
olwarbirds is offline Find More Posts by olwarbirds
Old Nov 09, 2010, 10:35 PM
Joined Jan 2009
2,050 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RGS2010 View Post
If you are referring to my flight...the CG was perfect. I thought the flight was smooth and stable...the landing...well that was just pilot error and lack of plane familiarity. I had at least 3 or 4mm of up elevator set as default and it still took a couple of clicks up elevator to trim it just right. But it took full speed to get it to loop. When I tried from about 60% throttle it just stalled (looked like I planned a hammerhead but I didn't). Make sure you have 100% elevator control on your maiden, is my advice. I balanced it upside down per Dynam recs and it was fine.

Sure would be nice to have tougher landing gear! I landed too hard but it would not have torn out landing gear on any other plane that I own. It did epoxy right back in but still...

Russ
Russ...Dude great job guys !!!...Russ congrats on a very nice maiden...now u see why mine nosedived i didnt have the 3-4mm up elevator there now suggesting....so what that means is there is a horizontal stab incidence issue which im working on fixing now...flyn with 3-4mm of up elevator is unacceptable for me thats like haven an airbrake deployed...LG totally agree they do come off a bit too easily, instead of epoxy im using gorilla glue and going to up the lg wire size on my stock setup....happy flyn guys....DJ
Old Nov 10, 2010, 01:23 AM
CSI
I promise, just ONE more order
Del Rio Intl, Texas, United States
Joined Feb 2004
3,983 Posts
I was happy to receive my 'green' version yesterday. I was a bit worried about what the condition of the parts might be as I opened it up, but luckily all the parts came out fine.
The problem was the packing....I mean the parts were just sitting inside surrounded by cardboard, but no cushion anywhere. The foam parts were allowed to just rattle around inside the main box. I couldn't believe they weren't bent or gouged out.
I have the 'kit' version and just got 2 Don's wicked 4800kv motors/64mm EDO fan unit combos to install. I also have my micro air retract set to install.

I am real impressed so far with the foam parts. Everything seems strong, well engineered with a nice painted finish.
I have to finish up a couple of other projects first, but hope to get working on this plane soon.

I am real interested in your work on the stab incidence DJ. I will also be looking to try and fix this...I agree, it's just not right to have to fly around with the controls displaced to compensate for a design issue.

Keep up the good work guys!
Ken
CSI is offline Find More Posts by CSI
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 10, 2010, 05:17 AM
Joined Jan 2009
2,050 Posts
Ken, welcome to the crew ....look forward to seeing your retract installation....

Horizontal wing incidence .... what im looking at doing is..instead of 3mm of up elevator im going to put a wedge in to make the whole horizontal stab rise at te 1.5mm...that should give it the lift it needs plus it will look the way a real A-10 is...DJ
Old Nov 10, 2010, 07:57 AM
Some Girls r Bigger thn Others
USA, UT, Cedar Hills
Joined Jun 2010
1,301 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSI View Post
I
I have the 'kit' version and just got 2 Don's wicked 4800kv motors/64mm EDO fan unit combos to install. I also have my micro air retract set to install.
War Eagle!

What size shaft does the kit allow?

TIA

-swps
swps is online now Find More Posts by swps
Old Nov 10, 2010, 08:57 AM
Houston, Texas
Joined Mar 2010
3,635 Posts
Larger LG Wire

Thanks DJ for the kind words.

How will you get the larger wire to stay in place? Assuming that you will drill out the current mount??? ...use different mounts??? I would love to use the shock absorbing kind of LG...I noticed a set at HK for $16 that I thought about monkeying around with...only thing is that they are white, would have to paint 'em.

Russ
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 10, 2010, 09:19 AM
Team Wack-a-Mole
Maryland
Joined Oct 2008
8,439 Posts
CSI,
Most the foamies don't take much damage cause the foam is light and don't bend/dent under their own weight (usually). Airfield(FMS) does a better job of taping things down than say Dynam does though. Air retracts? cool, I'd love to see that. We have to belly land on our grass field for stuff this small.
Melnic is offline Find More Posts by Melnic
Last edited by Melnic; Oct 03, 2011 at 08:24 AM.
Old Nov 10, 2010, 10:33 AM
Joined Jan 2009
2,050 Posts
Quote:
Thanks DJ for the kind words.

How will you get the larger wire to stay in place? Assuming that you will drill out the current mount??? ...use different mounts??? I would love to use the shock absorbing kind of LG...I noticed a set at HK for $16 that I thought about monkeying around with...only thing is that they are white, would have to paint 'em.

Russ
Russ, yw...yup just drill out the stock mounts, im not going that much bigger since my piano wire is of better quality than the chinese monkey metal they used...now on my 4s setup im working on using electric retracts with suspension struts....i think that set at hk wud work nicely for the stock setup

Swps, wish i cud answer ur ? but my nacelles are all buttoned up and sealed now...DJ
Old Nov 10, 2010, 10:38 AM
Houston, Texas
Joined Mar 2010
3,635 Posts
Shock Absorbing LG link

Forgot to include link with last note:

HK landing gear:
http://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store...idProduct=4681

Russ
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 10, 2010, 11:29 AM
"LiPo-Blaster"
Duluth, GA
Joined Apr 2009
932 Posts
Quote:
Forgot to include link with last note:

HK landing gear:
http://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store...idProduct=4681

Russ
Yea I've put a few of these HK sets on two different T-28's, they were $14.00 last year...go figure.

The legs have a little rotational slop in them & the weak point is in the thin plastic base that the aluminum legs attach to. The mains on both my planes have broken there.

But with some added epoxy at the plastic base and a few adjustments they're a cool addition for anyone wanting a scale looking LG with suspension!
RugFlyer is offline Find More Posts by RugFlyer
Last edited by RugFlyer; Nov 10, 2010 at 02:28 PM.
Old Nov 10, 2010, 01:07 PM
Houston, Texas
Joined Mar 2010
3,635 Posts
Magic Carpet Man

You were reading my mind...I have a T-28D that I was considering these LG for later in addition to the A-10!

Thanks,
Russ

Quote:
Originally Posted by RugFlyer View Post
Yea I've put a few of these HK sets on two different T-28's, they were $14.00 last year...go figure.

The legs have a little rotational slop in them & the weak point is in the thin plastic base that the aluminum legs attach to. The mains on both my planes have broken there.

But with some added epoxy at the plastic base and a few adjustments the're a cool addition for anyone wanting a scale looking LG with suspension!
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 10, 2010, 01:23 PM
Joined Jan 2009
2,050 Posts
Ken, im using two of the edo 4800kv motors and fans in my 4s setup...it will be interesting to see how they compare..too bad we are not closer so we could do a side by side comparisom...

rug dang man thats a 15% price increase...dont inflation suck !!! haha... DJ
Old Nov 10, 2010, 02:33 PM
"LiPo-Blaster"
Duluth, GA
Joined Apr 2009
932 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by olwarbirds View Post
Ken, im using two of the edo 4800kv motors and fans in my 4s setup...it will be interesting to see how they compare..too bad we are not closer so we could do a side by side comparisom...

rug dang man thats a 15% price increase...dont inflation suck !!! haha... DJ
Yea, my thoughts exactly!
Keep us posted on your A-10 build w/ the edo 4800kv motors and fans on 4s, should be a Rocket!
RugFlyer is offline Find More Posts by RugFlyer
Old Nov 10, 2010, 05:12 PM
CSI
I promise, just ONE more order
Del Rio Intl, Texas, United States
Joined Feb 2004
3,983 Posts
I will keep things posted as I go with the build. I went with the Don's wicked 4800 motors so I could have the option of using 3 s or 4s lipos. All my other jets are on 4s only, so am hoping these higher KV motors will work on 3s as a pair. At least I have plenty of 4s packs as needed!

I got the micro air retracts last year from HC. I have 2 sets of them that have just been patiently waiting for a plane. They have felt pretty lonely sitting in the package all this time..................
Ken
CSI is offline Find More Posts by CSI
RCG Plus Member