http://www.x-flight.com.hk/index.php?p=6&lang=en&id=67
RugFlyer is offline Find More Posts by RugFlyer
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 30, 2010, 07:07 PM
Newton and I are good friends
United States, NC, Asheville
Joined Jan 2009
2,050 Posts
Rug, tks for the link ...those look alot like the rclanders...wonder if changesun makes theirs, it wud not surprise me....the same size in a eflite runs about 50$ more and u dont get the suspension struts with that....is this the first application you have used them in ? look forward to seeing your upgrade using them... if they work well for ya i might have to put a set in my hobbyshopwarehouse extreme 4s setup cuz i know the stock lg is not gonna handle my 4s setup, it barely supports the stock 3s....DJ
olwarbirds is offline Find More Posts by olwarbirds
Old Oct 30, 2010, 08:55 PM
Always Fly 2 Mistakes High!
Houston, Texas
Joined Mar 2010
3,635 Posts
carbon rods

Thanks guys...looks like i'll be doing that mod...nice pic...thanks!

Russ
RGS2010 is offline Find More Posts by RGS2010
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Catch Up 2013-2014
Old Oct 31, 2010, 06:18 PM
United States, OH, Dayton
Joined Aug 2010
163 Posts
Well got to the field today and took my A10 for the maiden. Unfortunatly I decided to not taxi it out to the runway. We sat it directly on the asphalt runway and spooled up the engines. My partner held on to it until we were spooled up and then released it. As a suggestion to all of those out there, since there is no rudder on this, only a steerable tailwheel, you might want to set a low rate on your rudder so that it doesnt go as far when trying to take off. Watched a guy with much more expierence than me almost total a F15 a few weeks ago because his nosewheel turned to fast for the speed he was traveling. Upon release it started to zoom down the runway. It turned left and before I could catch it, it had gone off the runway and ripped out the nose gear and right main. CA them back in and waited an hour for them to dry. The left turn was credited to Crosswind, and ill trimmed nose gear wheel. After gluing it back and waiting, checked the rudder trim and got it setup ok, One hour later we decided to try again. This time I wanted to taxi out to see what kind of difference it made. tracked it straight and true. I brought the speed up quicker and whiz bang we are in the air. Wasnt really planning to do so, but hey it went... I had no idea how much time I would get out of the lipos on a calm day, however as the winds were 8-10 mph, I really wasnt sure how long they would go. I am not fully aware of how to test the drain on the battery to figure out how long i should fly it. Anyway the wind picked up, it seemed to fly ok, but about half way through the flight it just seemed to be very weak. Initially I thought perhaps that the lipo had gone down faster than expected, or had an engine failure. So I line up to land, and like I said Earlier crosswind. SO I came in on approach and put ti dwon the left side of the runway. Next Thing I know I miss the runway and get into the grass which of course tears the main gear completely off the bottom of the airframe. I have yet to seal up the nacelles, how much positive yield does this give you?
Kwilletts is offline Find More Posts by Kwilletts
Old Oct 31, 2010, 06:59 PM
Joined Jan 2009
2,050 Posts
KW, tks for the report man..I noticed same thing about the steering i adjusted the rate on the steering servo way down, have learned about that with edf's with my rcl panther. Better the lg comes off than busting something ....Ive found when i sealed up that seam on the nacelles that more air was pulled into the cooling hole i had made, tested this with paper..prior to sealing it up paper did not suck up to the hole, after sealing it up it did. Now how much more thrust it creates I cant answer but sealing up the seam is similiar to putting in thrust tubes im sure. If you have a postal digital scale you cud test the thrust difference. Ive already sealed mine up so i cant do that test, wish i had thought about it sooner...with the stock 2200mah lipo ive got my timer set for 4 mins, but ive yet to get a full flight to test how much was left in lipo after 4 mins....

KW...where did u have ur cg set at? did u have 3mm of up elevator to start with? DJ
Old Oct 31, 2010, 08:43 PM
United States, OH, Dayton
Joined Aug 2010
163 Posts
Dont you hate it when you write a long in depth response and you hit the touchpad on the laptop and go back to the previous page and loose everything that you have written...

Ok so here we go again.... DJ......

1. CG- I had forgot to check it at the house, and with the 8mph base and 16 mph gusts didnt help setting CG. We were about 1/3 of wing back form leading edge, which after referring to the manual, I see was probably a bit back. Also the velcro came loose from the fuselage and the lipo was moving about.

2. 3mm elevator, I cant seem to find a suggested "3mm" Statement in the manual. That would probably have helped a bit. What is a good battery to use with this beast.
Kwilletts is offline Find More Posts by Kwilletts
Old Oct 31, 2010, 09:17 PM
Joined Jan 2009
2,050 Posts
KW mine likes to tell me im not logged in into rcg so i know the feeling.

If yours didnt go into a bad nose dive then u must be close on a good cg...several of the guys have the front of there stock 2200mah lipo to the back of the third rib from nose.. the 3mm up elevator is not in the manual it was on a seperate piece of paper in the boxes of my two new A-10's....mine seemed to have plenty of power with the stock 2200mah 25c lipo, I test fitted a 4s 4000mah for my extreme setup and still had plenty of room, so i would think that any 25c or more at 2200-3200mah would be good for the 3s stock setup, any bigger in mah im sure you wud have to beef up the lg a good bit, plus the extra weight might not be worth the more flyn time, im planning on running a 11.1v 2650mah 45c in my stock setup and a 4s 4000mah 45c in my extreme setup...in my 4s setup im doing a bit more cf rod reinforcement...1 across the elevator and horizontal stab...1 down each side of the fuse...and thinking about reinforcing the vertical stabs too, I dont think the main wing needs anymore since there is a good bit already built in from factory...we are predicting 110mph plus speeds on my extreme setup so I hope ive beefed it up enough....DJ
Old Nov 02, 2010, 03:31 PM
Houston, Texas
Joined Mar 2010
3,635 Posts
Nitroplanes Picture on Web Site!

You gotta love this picture...I am hoping to LOVE this plane but you have to wonder when you see a picture like this on their web site...look at landing gear...especially nose and left gear!

Russ
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 02, 2010, 03:55 PM
Joined Jan 2009
2,050 Posts
Russ....hahaha...nice catch!!!!...the LG is the weakest point on this A-10 but kind of sad for a business to have pics like that posted or too delete an honest review like i posted on there website concerning this plane....

This A-10 is a nice airframe and rather durable, considering how hard I hit the ground on two occassions and it didnt really turn into a pile of foam dust...
Old Nov 03, 2010, 09:32 PM
Houston, Texas
Joined Mar 2010
3,635 Posts
Horizontal Stab and Elevator

I just unboxed the new plane and it looks great. After inspecting everything and verifying no damage...whew...I have one minor concern. The elevator is quite stiff to move up and down. Did y'all (Yes I'm from Texas) experience the same? Just move it up and down repeatedly to free up? I can't imagine a 9g servo being able to move it without loosening it up.

Russ
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 03, 2010, 09:40 PM
RC Fanatic
USA, NC, Greensboro
Joined Mar 2002
1,379 Posts
You can unhook the control clevis and work it back and forth. Ya'll (From N. Carolina) have a good one....
Reco is offline Find More Posts by Reco
Old Nov 04, 2010, 05:01 AM
Joined Jan 2009
2,050 Posts
my first one and the two i just got all needed the elevator worked a bit to loosen up, Russ what color did yall get...FL/WV so i can relate with yall ... DJ
Old Nov 04, 2010, 06:00 AM
Houston, Texas
Joined Mar 2010
3,635 Posts
Thanks Y'all

I have army green version. The elevator is comes NOT connected to pushrod so that won't be a problem. My other airframe should be here today (spare parts) and I'll be interested to see if the other one is the same.

I wonder if coating the landing gear with epoxy resin (minus the "spring") would strengthen it at all and keep from bending so easily???

Later yous guys,
Russ
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 04, 2010, 06:17 AM
Joined Jan 2009
2,050 Posts
Russ, it might be better at first if you leave it too bend, better it bending than breaking out the foam around the lg mount. Mine didnt bend all that badly and was really easy to bend back to shape. I would think that the resin would just crack away. Figured id just let my stock one bend and later on get a bit heavier piano wire to make new lg with. I like that green camo but was afraid id loose it in the tree line around my flyn areas. Ive got a desert camo and a gray finish, have to admit the gray one looks really good, but im afraid i might loose it on a cloudy day...yous, youns hahaha happy flyn.. DJ
Old Nov 04, 2010, 08:00 AM
Houston, Texas
Joined Mar 2010
3,635 Posts
Thanks DJ

That's what I'll do then...now off to go find some 5/6mm carbon fiber rod and get new connector so I can replace stock one with EC3, which I like for all my planes. Everyone cross your fingers for good weather this weekend!

Russ
RCG Plus Member