HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 29, 2010, 12:55 AM
"Where are the shovels?"
Joined Apr 2010
818 Posts
Discussion
Horizon vs Great planes vs futaba vs ???

Horizon hobby is based in Champlaign, IL.

Great planes is based in...... CHAMPLAIGN, IL....

Horizon runs Spektrum and JR

Great planes runs Futaba

Could these really just be spinoffs by the same guy?
wise guy is offline Find More Posts by wise guy
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 29, 2010, 01:44 AM
WARNING: May contain spam
United States, CA, Alpine
Joined Oct 2007
20,963 Posts
Doubt it, Spektrum is the better half if so.
Xpress.. is online now Find More Posts by Xpress..
Old Jun 29, 2010, 06:48 AM
Old age is not for sissies
Dayton Intl, Ohio, United States
Joined Jan 2000
7,986 Posts
Tower hobbies was started in a dorm room in Champaign by a couple of students trying to pay for their hobby. Great Planes started by Don Anderson as a kit manufacture. Morphed into the Hobbico conglomerate. JR was initially imported by Circus Hobbies, a division of Circus Circus in Las Vegas. Several hobbico employees branched out on their own as Omni Models and I'm pretty sure Horizon. They're not related.

I would also think that with the university in Champaign, that there is a relatively cheap part time labor pool available.

Azarr
Azarr is offline Find More Posts by Azarr
Last edited by Azarr; Jun 29, 2010 at 10:16 AM.
Old Jun 29, 2010, 01:24 PM
Time for me to Fly...
United States, MI, Fenton
Joined Jan 2000
8,639 Posts
Wasn't Horizon born when someone bought out Indy and their distributorships?

I remember when Tower was the only big mail order company out there. Me and my buddies would spend hours looking through their huge catalog. These days I hardly give it a second look.
Mr. Wiz is offline Find More Posts by Mr. Wiz
Old Jun 29, 2010, 02:39 PM
Joined Jan 2000
7,986 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Wiz View Post
Wasn't Horizon born when someone bought out Indy and their distributorships?

I remember when Tower was the only big mail order company out there. Me and my buddies would spend hours looking through their huge catalog. These days I hardly give it a second look.
No, they were founded in 1985 and bought out Indy in 1998.

I'm not at my computer right now, but their history is on their site.

Azarr
Old Jun 29, 2010, 03:35 PM
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2004
6,032 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azarr View Post

Azarr

1985??? I could swear I was buying from them in the early 70's...

Started in 1971 by their web site.... sounds right to me... I remember when Monokote came out then the iron on Super Monokote, and remember Satellite City Ca? That revolutionized building....
Evan D is online now Find More Posts by Evan D
Old Jul 02, 2010, 01:17 PM
I think I forgot how to fly RC
United States, WA, Woodinville
Joined Mar 2007
8,063 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xpress.. View Post
Doubt it, Spektrum is the better half if so.
hmm, perhaps the more "popular half", but not the better half.
cryhavoc38 is offline Find More Posts by cryhavoc38
Old Jul 03, 2010, 01:54 AM
Lexington, KY
Joined Oct 2009
701 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azarr View Post

Azarr
Tower Hobbies was definitely founded earlier than 85', I have an 82' and 78' catalog in my closet. I still enjoy looking through those every now and then. All the Kyosho cars were SOO cool.
cannondale1974 is offline Find More Posts by cannondale1974
Old Jul 03, 2010, 02:09 AM
"Where are the shovels?"
Joined Apr 2010
818 Posts
Not to mention the kraft rc gear
wise guy is offline Find More Posts by wise guy
Old Jul 03, 2010, 03:05 AM
Promoting Model Aviation...
United States, OK, Henryetta
Joined Nov 2005
25,303 Posts
Quote:

From Bruce Holecek, Founder of Tower Hobbies

I started Tower Hobbies in 1971. It all began with a love of hobbies, $800.00 in personal savings, and a dream. A dream to create the largest and finest hobby mail-order company in the world. A dream that has come true even beyond my wildest expectations!
During the first year my brother Mark joined me in this fledgling venture and in 1972 Jeri and I were married and this brought our total employee roster up to three! During those early years we ate, breathed, slept, talked and dreamed about nothing but Tower Hobbies. Tower Hobbies grew quickly as it revolutionized the radio control industry with toll-free "800" WATS lines, an in-house mainframe IBM computer, annual catalogs that are the "bibles" of the industry, a multiple-award-winning web site and most importantly a determined commitment to low prices, excellent service, and our "customers are Kings" attitude.

In the mid-'70s, Mark left Tower Hobbies to start a different business on his own. In 1984 Clint Atkins, a local Champaign businessman joined Tower Hobbies in an ownership capacity. Clint brought considerable strengths to Tower Hobbies that enabled it to provide even better prices, products and services than ever before. In 2005, Clint, Jeri and I sold Tower Hobbies to an employee stock ownership plan (ESOP) but continue on in a leadership role. Now, the employees of Tower Hobbies own the company and have a real investment in 100% customer satisfaction.

I started, and we continue today, with a very simple game plan: offer the finest products available at the lowest prices and to provide absolutely the finest service. This game plan is a lot more than just a plan it's a promise. A promise that is honored by each and every dedicated employee of Tower Hobbies. Together, we are Team Tower Hobbies and our personal and professional commitment to excellence is your guarantee of total satisfaction and outstanding value.

Clint, Jeri and I thank you for your loyal support all these years. Our employee-owners will continue to do everything we can to constantly improve Tower Hobbies to serve you even better in the future. You always have been and certainly continue to be absolutely the most important reason for our very existence, and we promise never to forget this simple truth.

Remember, your total satisfaction is personally guaranteed by the best team Tower Hobbies ever put together. We invite you to become and stay a satisfied customer-and welcome you to the exciting world of hobbies the Tower Hobbies Way!

Sincerely yours,

Bruce Holecek

Founder, Tower Hobbies

http://www.towerhobbies.com/thistory.html

I like Tower. One of my favorite top 5.

Frank
Murocflyer is offline Find More Posts by Murocflyer
Old Jul 03, 2010, 03:07 AM
Joined Nov 2005
25,303 Posts
Horizon Hobby History

Quote:
Horizon Hobby began in 1985 to fill a significant need in the North American radio control (R/C) marketplace.

Hobby retailers needed an alternate distributor that could offer high-quality, personal, customer service along with the best products possible for them to sell. That alternative became Horizon Hobby.

Rick Stephens, Vice President and then President of Great Planes Model Distributors between 1980 and 1985, teamed up with Eric Meyers, Janet Ottmers and Debra Love to form Horizon near Champaign, Illinois. Their combined thirty years of experience in the hobby industry provided all the contacts necessary to begin a new distribution company.

Hobby retailers and R/C suppliers alike welcomed Horizon, due to the good reputation of the people involved and the need for a quality distributor to compete with Hobbico. From its very first day of operation, Horizon experienced tremendous support from the industry resulting in very fast growth.

In 1986-just one year after the company was formed-Horizon opened a West Coast facility to better serve its customers in the western United States.

In the early 1990s, Horizon Hobby began to develop its own stable of exclusive products. This was enhanced in 1992 when Horizon acquired Hobby Dynamics Distributors, and, with it, the exclusive rights to several leading R/C product lines, including their anchor brand, JR radios. Since that time, Horizon has added or developed other exclusive brands, including Saito engines, Hangar 9 airplanes and accessories, Team Losi cars and trucks, Dynamite car accessories, Expert electronic products, JR helicopters, Revolution heli accessories, MDS engines, ABC Boats, ProBoat boats, Ultracote, Zenoah engines, HobbyZone beginner R/C products, and others. Together they form the Horizon Hobby family of products that the company markets and services in North America.

During the '90s, Horizon also broadened its distribution base by adding static model kits, general hobby items and Model Railroad products. These are important categories for retailers to stock, allowing them to now get more of what they need from one source; Horizon Hobby.

The advent of the World Wide Web created a new need for Horizon: to develop an effective avenue for direct contact with hobby consumers. In 1998, Horizon acquired a mail-order company, Indy RC, and converted it into the Horizon Hobby Catalog Division-the premier information and problem-solving resource for hobby consumers. Information and services circulated through the Catalog Division and its Web site will continue to drive demand for Horizon Hobby products, primarily through retail shops due to it's pricing and marketing policies.

Horizon has become known for its high-quality attention to customer needs, product expertise and integrity in the way that it does business. Its philosophy and concern for people is the primary reason for its growth and success.

http://www.horizonhobby.com/Horizon/HorizonHistory.aspx
Old Jul 03, 2010, 03:10 AM
Joined Nov 2005
25,303 Posts
And from Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hobbico

http://www.hobbico.com/career.html

(That I did not know) Very interesting

Frank
Old Jul 03, 2010, 10:19 AM
Joined Jan 2000
7,986 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cannondale1974 View Post
Tower Hobbies was definitely founded earlier than 85', I have an 82' and 78' catalog in my closet. I still enjoy looking through those every now and then. All the Kyosho cars were SOO cool.
I never said Tower was formed in 1985, my comments were about The founding of Horizon Hobby which from the history on their web site was formed in 1985 as an outgrowth of
Circus Hobbies.

Azarr
Old Jul 03, 2010, 10:56 AM
jrb
Edina, MN, USA
Joined Oct 1999
11,433 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wise guy View Post

Horizon runs Spektrum and JR

HH owns Spektrum; distributes JR in USA.

I think this is why there's been issues lately w/JR radios that do Spektrum -- 9503.

Will HH do JR much longer?
jrb is offline Find More Posts by jrb