HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 28, 2010, 08:03 PM
United Kingdom, Bath
Joined Apr 2007
193 Posts
Discussion
DIY Remzibi inspired OSD

Ever since I saw Remzibi 's OSD thread two years ago, I wanted to make my own OSD. I fact, I almost had it working, until someone stole my laptop and I lost all of my code!! I've kind of lost interest in it since.

This is what I had two years ago, it's a MAX7456 driven by Arduino, almost exactly the same hardware as Remzibi:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...42&postcount=8
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...1&postcount=18

Luckily, in the past two years both Arduino the Remzibi OSD have taken off and became hugely popular, and pretty much everything you can think of someone have done for you before, and fully documented. So this made my job of restarting my project much easier, being able to steal various bits and pieces from a number of projects, including the home arrow graphics from Remzibi, GPS code from ArduPilot, and loads of other code from the MAX7456 thread on the Arduino forum.

My requirement for my OSD:
1. No units!!! Why do you need units? If it's your OSD, you should know when it says 200, it's 200 metres or feet or whatever! Waste of space! I mean, seriously...
2. Ability to turn on a "minimal" mode using the RC Tx, in which only the home vector is displayed. (I have not implemented it yet, but should be easy)
3. Accurate variometer, not calculated from GPS altitude. I get my data from the SIRF binary protocol, where it tells you the vertical velocity calculated from Doppler information, just like ground speed.
4. Has course (heading) information. I find that it's quite important to know your course on a windy day, so you know which way you are going with respect to the wind.
5. Can display negative altitude. Useful if you launch from the top of a slope!

Finally, a video my new OSD flying for the first time:

DIY OSD Test (3 min 2 sec)

The climb/dive arrow characters are missing, and I'm using a 1Hz EM406 GPS, so everything lags a bit...

I'm not planning to sell this at all. In fact, the Remzibi is a pretty good deal. This is more aimed at people who maybe interested in building their own. I will be releasing all of my code in as soon as I get everything working. The code should also work on the Remzibi board, but I'm not 100% sure.

You can put together an OSD for $20 + GPS, if you get the MAX7456 chip from Maxim as a sample and do everything yourself, or around $50+GPS if you use this: http://www.sparkfun.com/commerce/pro...oducts_id=9168

For more info, see: http://www.arduino.cc/cgi-bin/yabb2/...m=1220054359/0
zitron is offline Find More Posts by zitron
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 28, 2010, 08:48 PM
Bugs!!!!!!!
USA, OK, Wayne
Joined Sep 2009
222 Posts
viper6549 is offline Find More Posts by viper6549
Old Jun 30, 2010, 12:38 PM
Videopilot
United States, NC, Charlotte
Joined May 2009
2,720 Posts
Wow, like it.
Derek_S is offline Find More Posts by Derek_S
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Iconic X
Old Jun 30, 2010, 12:48 PM
Houba ! Houba !!
United Kingdom, England, Milton Keynes
Joined Sep 2003
6,045 Posts
Clean neat to the point. I like it! However in my opinion the characters are little bit too big.
I am not sure I get the point of the "horizon bar "
I think you would be better served by a "+" right in the middle of the screen
rcmonster99 is offline Find More Posts by rcmonster99
Old Jul 01, 2010, 03:33 PM
United Kingdom, Bath
Joined Apr 2007
193 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcmonster99 View Post
Clean neat to the point. I like it! However in my opinion the characters are little bit too big.
I am not sure I get the point of the "horizon bar "
I think you would be better served by a "+" right in the middle of the screen
My idea of the "horizon bar" is to show you when the plane is level, and the drooping arms are for 45 degrees bank angle, which is a good angle for riding out thermals. It also serves as a centre reference for the side slip indicator which is yet to be implemented. I do think it is a bit too thick though...

I like big numbers for things that are important. I was planning to use smaller characters for GPS sats and climb rate and such, but was too lazy to code it. It's on the to do list...
zitron is offline Find More Posts by zitron
Old Jul 01, 2010, 03:49 PM
Houba ! Houba !!
United Kingdom, England, Milton Keynes
Joined Sep 2003
6,045 Posts
Good idea ! the horizon bar makes sense now
On the other hand (just to be picky ) you say, no units are necessary, but there is a big N,E,W,S in the heading bar which seems totally unnecessary if you are aviation savvied, they seem out of place and out of format in that box.

Like I said... just being picky... I wish I had the know how to put these things together and here I am criticising...

Nice job, really well done
rcmonster99 is offline Find More Posts by rcmonster99
Last edited by rcmonster99; Jul 01, 2010 at 03:55 PM.