Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Closed Thread
Old Dec 03, 2010, 04:15 PM
AMA # 949551
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined Oct 2009
2,096 Posts
Just back in....

from flyin' 5 packs after some days on the ground due to high winds!

Amazing how fast you get rusty!

I did a bunch of nose ins after having trimmed the Terror Pigeon's cyclics perfectly.

What a difference!

I never really knew how out of trim I really was as I tend to naturally, without my conscious knowledge, simply "fly" the bird without thinking.

Hope all is well in your worlds!

b
rikybob is offline Find More Posts by rikybob
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 05, 2010, 08:14 AM
AMA # 949551
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined Oct 2009
2,096 Posts
Bloggie...........

blog, blog!

Enjoy and Buzz, the weather and obligations have conspired against us!

I will shoot you a coupla dates!

Brian
Old Dec 05, 2010, 10:40 AM
Forever WTTM Pilot #7
Daytona Beach, Florida, United States
Joined Aug 2002
11,243 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rikybob View Post
blog, blog!

Enjoy and Buzz, the weather and obligations have conspired against us!

I will shoot you a coupla dates!

Brian

I was just getting ready to call you .... There's no way we can fly over here tomorrow. The wind off the Atlantic is howling.... and it's cold!
It's going to be even colder with more wind tomorrow. We'll have to try it again when you have the time. I have 2 good places picked out to fly... plenty of room.... but not in this wind! Shoot me an email when it looks better for you. My son and I changed the oil in both of our Porsches yesterday. Started at 10am and finally finished up at 6pm. We couldn't get the second oil filter off my car and I had to fabricate a "tool" that would grip it better and it finally came off. 24 qts of oil between the two cars and four oil filters. It's a real job, but it's certainly better than having the dealership do it... we saved about $200 each.

La Nina is racing high and low pressure areas all over the state. But, it did save us from some ugly hurricanes. I don't like El Nino winds... that spells hurricanes! Take care and stay in touch.

Buzz
Buzz is offline Find More Posts by Buzz
Old Dec 05, 2010, 12:56 PM
Resident Skeptican
USA, AL, Hanceville
Joined May 2008
4,323 Posts
You can usually just jam a screwdriver through the filter and get it off if it's obstinate. I've had two or three of those oil filter wrenches over the years, though I never seem to have one on hand when I actually need it.
Barak1001 is offline Find More Posts by Barak1001
Old Dec 05, 2010, 01:48 PM
Forever WTTM Pilot #7
Joined Aug 2002
11,243 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barak1001 View Post
You can usually just jam a screwdriver through the filter and get it off if it's obstinate. I've had two or three of those oil filter wrenches over the years, though I never seem to have one on hand when I actually need it.
On a Porsche? LOL? We were talking about that, but the filters on a Porsche are THICK walled and slim/long in shape. I have to admit that I've done that screwdriver trick more than once on American made cars, but on the Porsche... there are two.. one to filter oil coming out of the oil tank, and the other is WAAAY up in there, and it filters the oil coming out of the engine and going back into the tank. It's a dry sump system... uses 12 quarts of oil which is sprayed onto the crank/rods, etc. then pumped back into the tank. It's easier to keep your oil temp down because with 12 quarts moving through... it doesn't get as hot. The only tool made to remove Porsche filters is a huge socket that slides over the the entire lower filter, and when turned it tightens against the filter. But, the only way I've ever gotten it to work is by putting torn strips of sandpaper on the inside of the socket and when it tightens down on the sandpaper... it won't slip.. I should patent that! Anyway... we're going to start racing again now that it's cooling off. My tires are about shot, so I guess I'll burn the rest of the rubber off. lol

You should be getting something really cool in the mail this week!

Buzz
Old Dec 06, 2010, 07:25 PM
AMA # 949551
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined Oct 2009
2,096 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz View Post
On a Porsche? LOL? We were talking about that, but the filters on a Porsche are THICK walled and slim/long in shape. I have to admit that I've done that screwdriver trick more than once on American made cars, but on the Porsche... there are two.. one to filter oil coming out of the oil tank, and the other is WAAAY up in there, and it filters the oil coming out of the engine and going back into the tank. It's a dry sump system... uses 12 quarts of oil which is sprayed onto the crank/rods, etc. then pumped back into the tank. It's easier to keep your oil temp down because with 12 quarts moving through... it doesn't get as hot. The only tool made to remove Porsche filters is a huge socket that slides over the the entire lower filter, and when turned it tightens against the filter. But, the only way I've ever gotten it to work is by putting torn strips of sandpaper on the inside of the socket and when it tightens down on the sandpaper... it won't slip.. I should patent that! Anyway... we're going to start racing again now that it's cooling off. My tires are about shot, so I guess I'll burn the rest of the rubber off. lol

You should be getting something really cool in the mail this week!

Buzz
When I was kid I had a friend whose dad raced 1/4 mile in the amateur class.

I learned a LOT about normal aspirated engines. There wasn't anything I couldn't do!

Now, I don't do anything to an automotive engine but I recall that you put a layer of oil over the the oil filter gasket and having MADE CERTAIN that the other old gasket is REMOVED you simply since down the new filter, snug.

I never had to use a wrench to install or remove any oil filter on any engine that I worked on.

Back on topic.

The wind NEVER let up here so's I installed my computer to my living room home theater. Lookin' forward to having some SIM time.

In the mean time I did a partz list on my 500......we shall see! 250 bux is a LOT less than the 800 USD on an Align!

Best to all!

b
Last edited by rikybob; Dec 06, 2010 at 07:32 PM.
Old Dec 06, 2010, 07:44 PM
Forever WTTM Pilot #7
Joined Aug 2002
11,243 Posts
Yep, there was a lot more "hands on" tuning you could do with a normally aspriated engine. That's one reason, when we rebuilt the 68 Camaro we used a 4bbl carb that looked like a toilet bowl.! That's why I like the older Porsche engines. They all have carbs!

Re: filters.... Porsche USE a lot of oil, without burning it. It's over lubricated, which is why you seldom see one blow the engine. And, yep.... we fill the filters with new oil, lubricate the rubber gasket with oil, then we only put on on hand tight. Believe me, you don't want to cinch them down too much or you'll never get them off.

Keep us filled in with the 500. That's a much larger frame and you should be able to fly in windy weather..

Buzz

Quote:
When I was kid I had a friend whose dad raced 1/4 mile in the amateur class.

I learned a LOT about normal aspirated engines. There wasn't anything I couldn't do!

Now, I don't do anything to an automotive engine but I recall that you put a layer of oil over the the oil filter gasket and having MADE CERTAIN that the other old gasket is REMOVED you simply since down the new filter, snug.

I never had to use a wrench to install or remove any oil filter on any engine that I worked on.

Back on topic.

The wind NEVER let up here so's I installed my computer to my living room home theater. Lookin' forward to having some SIM time.

In the mean time I did a partz list on my 500......we shall see! 250 bux is a LOT less than the 800 USD on an Align!

Best to all!

b
Old Dec 11, 2010, 04:29 PM
AMA # 949551
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined Oct 2009
2,096 Posts
Hey KIDZ I hope all is well!

b
Old Dec 12, 2010, 10:37 AM
Forever WTTM Pilot #7
Joined Aug 2002
11,243 Posts
Quote:
Hey KIDZ I hope all is well!

b
Ohhhh, yeah! Beautiful nose in take off! If you can take off nose in, it's not real hard to land nose in either. Big improvement bud! I've been flying the Gaui nose in .... and it's VERY intimidating with 4 screaming props in your face.

Ok, careful with the trade secrets! Remember, I'm 50% invested with Tony.
All I'll say is this ... you 450 pilots better get ready for some cool stuff that's very reasonably priced. We aren't set up yet.... parts and pieces are coming in... but Tony's running around like a wild chicken talking people all over the world down on their prices! Hahaha.... the man is gifted.

Buzz
Old Dec 12, 2010, 03:55 PM
AMA # 949551
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined Oct 2009
2,096 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz View Post
Ohhhh, yeah! Beautiful nose in take off! If you can take off nose in, it's not real hard to land nose in either. Big improvement bud! I've been flying the Gaui nose in .... and it's VERY intimidating with 4 screaming props in your face.

Ok, careful with the trade secrets! Remember, I'm 50% invested with Tony.
All I'll say is this ... you 450 pilots better get ready for some cool stuff that's very reasonably priced. We aren't set up yet.... parts and pieces are coming in... but Tony's running around like a wild chicken talking people all over the world down on their prices! Hahaha.... the man is gifted.

Buzz
Thanx Buzz. Only second one (nose in liftoff) but whats funny is, is that the bird is so dialed in that it doesn't require anything but collective!

No worries on industrial espionage! I just look forward to you guys doing well for yourselves!

As far as Tony being "gifted" OMG I just had to pull up my breaches so as not to be caught in the deluge!!

Now to sit back and enjoy the glorious weather for the next three days! Grrrrr

Perhaps I can dial in my Tx on Phoenix??

Will see.

b
Old Dec 13, 2010, 10:50 AM
Forever WTTM Pilot #7
Joined Aug 2002
11,243 Posts
Quote:
Thanx Buzz. Only second one (nose in liftoff) but whats funny is, is that the bird is so dialed in that it doesn't require anything but collective!

Well, you made it look easy. I can see a lot of improvement.

No worries on industrial espionage! I just look forward to you guys doing well for yourselves!

Ha! That was a joke. Actually, I won't make much income from it... I'm just helping Tony get off the ground so I can get free parts. lol

As far as Tony being "gifted" OMG I just had to pull up my breaches so as not to be caught in the deluge!!

LOL! Well, there went your chances of beta testing! Hahaha!

Now to sit back and enjoy the glorious weather for the next three days! Grrrrr

Perhaps I can dial in my Tx on Phoenix??

Will see.

I HATE IT! It's cold and the wind blew a tree over in the driveway.

b
Buzz'
Old Dec 28, 2010, 10:44 AM
AMA # 949551
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined Oct 2009
2,096 Posts
Hi all!

The holidayz have been VERY VERY VERY busy for me so no much postin' or flyin'!

I originally splintered off to this make this thread as the former place I hung out at was getting kinda uncomfortable as my skillz took me to other types of helis.

One of the originators of the "other forum" started this thread as he transitioned as well and in a measure to reduce redundancy I have placed my efforts there. Soon I will end this thread so......

Come say "Hi" over here and happy new year!

Brian
Closed Thread