Closed Thread
Old Jul 04, 2010, 03:31 PM
AMA # 949551
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined Oct 2009
1,953 Posts
Welcome...

Mikey!

It was exhilarating lifting off the first time wasn't it?

Did you build it from the ground up?

Brian
rikybob is offline Find More Posts by rikybob
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 04, 2010, 04:40 PM
Joined Jul 2010
8 Posts
Wiring of Spektrum receiver

Guys
I am close to finishing the build on the HK-450MT kit, but am not sure on the powering of the Spectrum receiver. I am using a AR6110E and I assume the THRO has the voltage from the Turnigy ESC and that powers the receiver, with the throttle curve signal on the signal ( 3rd ) wire. I read that the BATT connection on the AR6110 is for binding, but does it need constant power too?
The documentation on the AR6110E seems to be non existent.

Brian- In your earlier post you mentioned the need for a BEC, while Simon disagreed. So what is the problem / need ?
I note the wiring for a [URL="http://http://www.rcsuperstore.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=CSECCBEC&click=2"] BEC basically is a parallel supply to BATT ?? and only the signal and neg go to the ESC in the drawing. But the documentation for the BEC states its only needed for greater than 3S battery packs, whereas a 3S is what I have.
So do / or do I not need a BEC to get this thing running?

Geoff
kiwigeoff is offline Find More Posts by kiwigeoff
Old Jul 04, 2010, 05:13 PM
Resident Skeptican
USA, AL, Hanceville
Joined May 2008
4,323 Posts
Whether or not you use a BEC doesn't have so much to do with what size battery you fly as what type of servos you run. The reason they advise to use one if flying over 3s is that most ESC in that size range don't have a BEC built in.

Basically if you're going to fly with all digital servos you need an external BEC. It really depends on the total amperage draw of your servos under load. A digital servo under load draws in excess of 1 amp. If you add up 4 of them that's 4 amps load going through the ESC's BEC. Most ESC only come with a 2 or 3 amp BEC built in.

Even Castle Creation's Phoenix ESC advise to run an external BEC if you're going to run more than 1 digital servo with it.
Barak1001 is offline Find More Posts by Barak1001
Old Jul 04, 2010, 05:16 PM
Joined Jul 2010
8 Posts
Bec

Thanks,

More shopping then...

Geoff
kiwigeoff is offline Find More Posts by kiwigeoff
Old Jul 05, 2010, 07:48 AM
AMA # 949551
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined Oct 2009
1,953 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwigeoff View Post
Thanks,

More shopping then...

Geoff
Geoff,

Tony and Finless I believe provide for a BEC and rightly so as I have flown both with and without using the power sensitive Spektrum Rx and did get a brown out!

Buy the Castle BEC for 21 bux from amy Fleabay vendor. the directions are straight forward!

As for servo placement on Rx maybe Tony can advise as I am not near my bird.

B
Old Jul 05, 2010, 08:02 AM
Nottinghamshire, UK
Joined Dec 2009
582 Posts
Brownout Elimination Circuits

^ Re external BEC's - I'm still resisting, but I realise I'm in for some stick if I ever sheepishly post "guess what i had a brownout"

(I can get my Brushless Big Lama to brownout )

The external BEC is an extra insurance & its a matter for the individual to decide if its right for their heli. I fly with hxt900 cyclic servos and a flysky radio - what does that tell you??
sgbfly is offline Find More Posts by sgbfly
Old Jul 05, 2010, 08:23 AM
Nottinghamshire, UK
Joined Dec 2009
582 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rikybob View Post
Simon,
Just watched your servo test vid and youR flying skills are ncreasing well!

Smooth video as well! Looking forward to more!

Bb
Hi Brian,

Thanks mate! I have forgot to post the vid to which you refer!

You want more I'm a little worried that I might get boring Guess I will have to risk it

OK guys I had this little problem with a jittery servo.....

HK-450GT HXT900 servo problem.avi (2 min 12 sec)

So I swapped it out for a brand new hxt900 and the problem was gone a shown in this next vid.

HK-450GT Post Servo Swap xvidmp3.avi (3 min 40 sec)

Then I set about correcting a couple of vibrations. The first was a wobble on the main gear. A close look revealed that the gears were not warped but rather the problem as free play between the main shaft and the one way bearing shaft. This was even worse with the eBay spare I had in my parts tin. So I ordered genuine Align main shafts (HS1280) and one way bearing shafts (HZ026) which fitted together snugly. On installing to my heli and running on my desk (w/out main blades lol) I could see my gear wobble was gone!

The second problem I wanted to address was slop in the tail pitch mechanism. I bought HobbyKing part F029 (from here actually) & the tail slider slop was banished!

A test flight with the cam onboard shows the vibrations to be much reduced. The onboard video which I find a good test for lack of vibrations is as good as I've ever had with any of my heli's

HK-450GT Fixing Vibs.avi (5 min 23 sec)

Best to all!

Simon
Old Jul 05, 2010, 08:47 AM
AMA # 949551
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined Oct 2009
1,953 Posts
Cam

Simon,

Thanks for the vids!

How do you mount the cam?

Off to house shop!

Br
Old Jul 05, 2010, 09:09 AM
Nottinghamshire, UK
Joined Dec 2009
582 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rikybob View Post
Simon,

Thanks for the vids!

How do you mount the cam?

Off to house shop!

Br
Hi Brian,

I was all set to email you a pic last night but I went and broke the elastic band that holds the foam in place before I could snap a pic

Its the same bit of foam I use for my Big Lama. The base plate I made (with the cocktail sticks on) is not used on the HK-450GT because the foam fits perfectly under the bottom plate of the frame held on with an elastic band. I will up a pic oneday soon.

Simon
Old Jul 05, 2010, 05:21 PM
Nottinghamshire, UK
Joined Dec 2009
582 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwigeoff View Post
Thanks,

More shopping then...

Geoff
Hi Geoff!

Hows the build going? Have you had your first completely stumped moment yet??

Simon
Old Jul 05, 2010, 09:17 PM
AMA # 949551
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined Oct 2009
1,953 Posts
SimoGreat flying!

Simon,

Great flying!

Amazing how fast your skills are coming along!
I look forward to mounting a cam!

Bb
Old Jul 06, 2010, 11:09 AM
Member of the RC OCD Group
United States, WA, Gig Harbor
Joined Jan 2010
548 Posts
Crashed again

Why does head in flying have to be so much harder on a 450 than the coaxials..

I was at the field lastnight and doing some huge boxes and zooming around tail in. I was going back and forth across the field turning head in and was doing well when I though I could try a figure eight. When I came back around on the second turn I was flying pretty fast at about 30 feet head in and when I felt I was loosing it a bit. Instead of spinning the tail around quickly to grab back orientation I tried to pull up and actually pulled it straight into the ground at full speed...

Uhg..

Ohwell, time to order some parts
bbrstorm is offline Find More Posts by bbrstorm
Old Jul 06, 2010, 12:03 PM
Forever WTTM Pilot #7
Daytona Beach, Florida, United States
Joined Aug 2002
10,097 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbrstorm View Post
Crashed again

I was at the field lastnight and doing some huge boxes and zooming around tail in. I was going back and forth across the field turning head in and was doing well when I though I could try a figure eight. When I came back around on the second turn I was flying pretty fast at about 30 feet head in and when I felt I was loosing it a bit. Instead of spinning the tail around quickly to grab back orientation I tried to pull up and actually pulled it straight into the ground at full speed...

Uhg..

That's too bad.... Sounds like you lost your orientation. It also sounds like, since the heli was nose in... you reversed your FF and backwards cyclic.
It's easy to get mixed up and pull back on the stick like you would if you were flying an airplane. I've done similar things... but if I lose my orientation at that altitude... I put the heli in a tail rotor spin. It won't go anywhere when you do that. It gives you time to think and regain orientation. Keep trying it! (easy for me to say).
Buzz is offline Find More Posts by Buzz
Old Jul 06, 2010, 02:24 PM
Gravity always Wins :(
USA, NY, Bellerose
Joined Jun 2008
202 Posts
I did build mine from the ground up, researched all the parts and bought what i felt would work best, and yes it was quite exciting the first time. I cant wait to fly it again. Maybe tomorrow morning.

mike
Mikeyburger240 is offline Find More Posts by Mikeyburger240
Old Jul 07, 2010, 08:01 AM
AMA # 949551
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined Oct 2009
1,953 Posts
Dang

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbrstorm View Post
Crashed again

Uhg..

Sorry to here about your crash!

I do fine with FFF nose in cause its so stable I don't have to anything as it passes! Then I am tail in again!

Now that the sting is gone what was the post mortum?

B
Closed Thread