Closed Thread
Old Jul 24, 2010, 11:55 PM
Member of the RC OCD Group
United States, WA, Gig Harbor
Joined Jan 2010
553 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rikybob View Post
The big culprit was the simply worn out belt!!

Apparently you can only get 100ish flights out of the stock belt before it dies!!

I eventually will pry said wallet open to see if I can buy an Align tail for this thang!

But until then its the 15 bux version from HK!

Brian

Brian, This video was taken with my slightly upgraded tail parts and original belt with well over 100 flights now.

I flew 9 times today But just goofing around out front. I will hit the field tomorrow afternoon and hopefully try some head in

GY48V Gyro on a CopterX 450Pro V3 (2 min 53 sec)

Dan
bbrstorm is offline Find More Posts by bbrstorm
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 25, 2010, 09:53 AM
AMA # 949551
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined Oct 2009
2,096 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbrstorm View Post
Brian, This video was taken with my slightly upgraded tail parts and original belt with well over 100 flights now.

I flew 9 times today But just goofing around out front. I will hit the field tomorrow afternoon and hopefully try some head in

Dan
Dan,

I enjoyed the video. It could have been filmed in Florida save those hilly, mountainany things!

I still have the short "2 blinks" on my HK401B "Cyro" after flights in H/H but it doesn't really affect the flight characteristics. Odd.

As for the belt on the HK it, according to the Align snobs is made of an amagamation of butter, jello and monkey hair!!

Mine held well through 2 crashes and a myriad of flights. I semi look forward to experimenting with assembling a nice tail (read: Frankensteining) parts to make a better bird! The tail assembly is definiatly a weak spot considering it spins MANY times faster than the head!

Filled out my application and will soon mail in to this flying club 11.1 miles from the house!

Brian

PS put some clothes on the thing, it's nekkid!
rikybob is online now Find More Posts by rikybob
Last edited by rikybob; Jul 25, 2010 at 09:59 AM.
Old Jul 25, 2010, 11:54 AM
Nottinghamshire, UK
Joined Dec 2009
582 Posts
Hi Dan,

Which parts did you replace on the tail? My tentative first nose-in's are in the vid below

Hi Brian,

"Cyro" on the label is funny . If I do a succession of pyro's and hard ascents my cyro will occasionally blink for a second or two.

Anyway, here is a vid where I get brave and try a little nose-in flight. Sure, its only for a moment but I will practice and build on this. Obviously in the garden there is less scope for error so you will understand my caution

Skip to 55s, 2:58, 3:35, 4:30 & 4:45 and you might just be able to see me on the heli-cam!

HK-450GT First Nose in Flight Attempt.avi (5 min 18 sec)

Simon
sgbfly is offline Find More Posts by sgbfly
Old Jul 25, 2010, 12:07 PM
Nottinghamshire, UK
Joined Dec 2009
582 Posts
Hi Guys,

Another vid. Momentary nose in at 55 secs again, rapid ascent at 1:40, piros at 3mins & a nice side on at 3:40 revealing where the chickens were hiding!

HK-450GT A Little More Flying.avi (5 min 46 sec)

As you guys know I'm using a cheapo Flysky CT6A with a lipo. I always wondered if the transmitter LED would be a good battery indicator when using a lipo. Turns out it is! The LED starts to flash yellow when the transmitter lipo voltage is 3.55V per cell.

Best to all!

Simon

ps. Cool vid Dan, but I'm glad I was not onboard
Old Jul 25, 2010, 01:46 PM
Forever WTTM Pilot #7
Daytona Beach, Florida, United States
Joined Aug 2002
11,240 Posts
Quote:
Dan,

I enjoyed the video. It could have been filmed in Florida save those hilly, mountainany things!

I still have the short "2 blinks" on my HK401B "Cyro" after flights in H/H but it doesn't really affect the flight characteristics. Odd.

As for the belt on the HK it, according to the Align snobs is made of an amagamation of butter, jello and monkey hair!!

Mine held well through 2 crashes and a myriad of flights. I semi look forward to experimenting with assembling a nice tail (read: Frankensteining) parts to make a better bird! The tail assembly is definiatly a weak spot considering it spins MANY times faster than the head!

Filled out my application and will soon mail in to this flying club 11.1 miles from the house!

Brian

PS put some clothes on the thing, it's nekkid!
Hey, Brian.....

Which field are you flying at? That club has 3 locations. 1 indoor arena and 2 outside fields. There is an East and West flying site. I hope you're not on the West side. I was hoping for something like the East field because that's where I used to drag race and it's only a 45 minute drive from here.

Do you have a phone number by which to reach them?

Next time we get together you WILL NOT believe what I'm creating now.
I'm waiting for additional parts... but if this works out, I should be ready to try it soon. I talked my wife out of furniture shopping!! That's a first!

Buzz
Buzz is offline Find More Posts by Buzz
Old Jul 25, 2010, 06:57 PM
Joined Jan 2010
553 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgbfly View Post
Hi Dan,

Which parts did you replace on the tail? My tentative first nose-in's are in the vid below

Simon
Excellent Videos Simon!

I love flying this sooooooo much better than the BOLs lol. I haven't even fixed either one sine I spun the top gears of the outer shafts on both of them doing High Speed Piros over 2 months ago lol.

Tail parts I have replaced (Due to crashes ):

Align Sport Tail Blade Grips
Align Metal Bearing slider
Align Sport slider parts
Micro Heli aluminum Ball Arm thingy at the bottom that connects to the slider and linkage

Dan
Old Jul 26, 2010, 06:54 AM
AMA # 949551
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined Oct 2009
2,096 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgbfly View Post
Hi Dan,

Hi Brian,

"Cyro" on the label is funny . If I do a succession of pyro's and hard ascents my cyro will occasionally blink for a second or two.

Anyway, here is a vid where I get brave and try a little nose-in flight. Sure, its only for a moment but I will practice and build on this. Obviously in the garden there is less scope for error so you will understand my caution

Skip to 55s, 2:58, 3:35, 4:30 & 4:45 and you might just be able to see me on the heli-cam!

Simon
Great vids Simon,

I think Polly and Anna officially "fear you" as the BOL's were not a threat. The 450 is a much more scarry creature!

I envy you as I have a "compass detent" that when rotating the bird slowly stops at 271deg and 91deg respectively.

I will, however bring it "toward me" in FF as it is very stable and rotate with it upon passing. Scares the crap out of me to "bring it around" though!

Glad you are progressing well!

Brian
Old Jul 26, 2010, 06:59 AM
AMA # 949551
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined Oct 2009
2,096 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz View Post
Hey, Brian.....

Which field are you flying at? That club has 3 locations. 1 indoor arena and 2 outside fields. There is an East and West flying site. I hope you're not on the West side. I was hoping for something like the East field because that's where I used to drag race and it's only a 45 minute drive from here.

Do you have a phone number by which to reach them?

Next time we get together you WILL NOT believe what I'm creating now.
I'm waiting for additional parts... but if this works out, I should be ready to try it soon. I talked my wife out of furniture shopping!! That's a first!

Buzz
Hi Buzz,

The West Orange field is nearest my house and I look to start going down there "sans helo" to get a feel of what they do and how they do it.

I am certain I can meet you east as well! After the 1st I should have a good grip on whats going on and how! No Px that I can find.....just email!

That is, the manners and etiquette and safety!

Glad you weaseled out of furniture shopping alas, I have not and will pick up next weekend I imagine!

Off to fly!

Brian
Old Jul 26, 2010, 07:02 AM
AMA # 949551
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined Oct 2009
2,096 Posts
Quote:
Excellent Videos Simon!

I love flying this sooooooo much better than the BOLs lol. I haven't even fixed either one sine I spun the top gears of the outer shafts on both of them doing High Speed Piros over 2 months ago lol.

Tail parts I have replaced (Due to crashes ):

Align Sport Tail Blade Grips
Align Metal Bearing slider
Align Sport slider parts
Micro Heli aluminum Ball Arm thingy at the bottom that connects to the slider and linkage

Dan
Hiya Dan,

I fired my BOL some time back! Some dood got a freaking steal to get it out of my garage!

He got ALL KINDS of GOODIES!

I, in turn, got a phat PayPal account and goodies for the 450 and even bought a 250 (whos belt is made of butter)!

The BOL was simply was no longer rewarding to fly!

Brian

Edit: Got to fly the Thunder Chicken 50 minutes this am and what a pleasure! Wind gusted to 15mph and not an issue! I am growing steadily bored with the front yard though!
Last edited by rikybob; Jul 26, 2010 at 10:47 AM.
Old Jul 26, 2010, 11:03 AM
Forever WTTM Pilot #7
Daytona Beach, Florida, United States
Joined Aug 2002
11,240 Posts
Great! I've never flown at a "Heli's only" field. Standard basic protocol is to make yourself known to other pilots, and you may have to call out your intentions. "Helicopter landing left to right", or "taking off left to right" according to the wind direction. You can not step over the flight line unless it is to retrieve your helicopter, and then you have to make that known to everyone. Never fly behind the flight line or over people. We used to have to turn in our transmitters in some places. But with a 2.4g setup that's usually not necessary. That was for the old AM and FM radios. But, I'm sure there are a lot of other things different with helicopters only. Walk around, look around and talk to people there.

I mounted a BOL body underneath the Guai. Yes, I FOUND MY BOX OF VELCRO!!! Boy, it is easier to fly with a fuselage attached. Much easier to keep my orientation.. but, I did a loop and then a barrel roll, lost my orientation and landed on the roof. I'm gonna need a lot more room!

Quote:
Hi Buzz,

The West Orange field is nearest my house and I look to start going down there "sans helo" to get a feel of what they do and how they do it.

I am certain I can meet you east as well! After the 1st I should have a good grip on whats going on and how! No Px that I can find.....just email!

That is, the manners and etiquette and safety!

Glad you weaseled out of furniture shopping alas, I have not and will pick up next weekend I imagine!

Off to fly!

Brian
Buzz is offline Find More Posts by Buzz
Old Jul 26, 2010, 06:22 PM
Joined Jan 2010
553 Posts
One of today's flights that almost ended bad lol

CopterX 450 Pro Orientation Practice with Minor Crash (4 min 31 sec)
Old Jul 27, 2010, 10:04 AM
Nottinghamshire, UK
Joined Dec 2009
582 Posts
Quote:
One of today's flights that almost ended bad lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u970VqA_-z0
Hi Dan,

Nice vid! The sunnies work really well too! Was it the nose-in that caught you out or was it something else?

I still fly my BOL I took it out for a tour of the tree tops yesterday evening for a couple of lipo's - After I had used all 4 I have on the 450 that is! I'm not ready to retire the BOL yet but its defo playing second fiddle to the 450

Simon
Old Jul 27, 2010, 10:22 AM
Nottinghamshire, UK
Joined Dec 2009
582 Posts
Quote:
I envy you as I have a "compass detent" that when rotating the bird slowly stops at 271deg and 91deg respectively.
Brian
Hi Brian,

Thats funny! Mine also has that failsafe but I think I broke it

Glad TC is flying again

Simon
Old Jul 27, 2010, 11:18 AM
AMA # 949551
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined Oct 2009
2,096 Posts
Hi Simon!

Yeah, when I roll that thing toward me it creeps me out!

Here is the vid of my hours and hours of misery building the HK250 GT!

For all the effort it just pales in comparison to the 450!

Yes Tony, you were right!

I have a new HK450 GT in the box and may make a second version and rob the parts off of the little one.

Will see!

Brian
Old Jul 27, 2010, 11:30 AM
Joined Jan 2010
553 Posts
Quote:
Hi Simon!

Yeah, when I roll that thing toward me it creeps me out!

For all the effort it just pales in comparison to the 450!

Yes Tony, you were right!

I have a new HK450 GT in the box and may make a second version and rob the parts off of the little one.

Will see!

Brian
Nice Build Brian,

I thought about getting a 250, but I really want a bigger one So, now it's a matter of Funds, Addiction and Desire. As these all converge I'm sure I will have a 500 or 600 in the near future... lol

Simon, yes it was the orientation. Just a minor stick goof in idle up and straight down it went. lol

I now prefer the agility in idle up for flying The normal mode is losing its heli crack powers... lol

Dan
Closed Thread