Closed Thread
Old Jun 28, 2010, 07:58 PM
AMA # 949551
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined Oct 2009
2,176 Posts
Discussion
Coaxial Convertz!!!

For those of you who flew COAXIALS and enjoyed same but just wanna move to something more challenging!

I enjoyed the Blade CX2 and the Esky Big Lama and decided to take the plunge and go with full CP!

I had trials and tribulations with same but became successful and would like to share stories of your endeavors into the CCPM realm!

Open discussion!

Brian
rikybob is offline Find More Posts by rikybob
Last edited by rikybob; Jun 29, 2010 at 07:00 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 28, 2010, 09:33 PM
Fix, Fix, Fly, Fix, Fix, Fly
Colorado
Joined Apr 2009
635 Posts
Hey Brian, great thread idea! There have got to be a few of us crazy enough to go from the coax straight to the CP!

I just made the jump from coax (Lama V4 modified to fly outdoors) to full CP (HK450)! I just finished my build and have only made my first real hovers tonight!! Still like the coax for some mindless, relaxing flying but the 450 is WAY FUN!! Can't wait to be able to do some forward flight and more...
mountainsax is offline Find More Posts by mountainsax
Old Jun 29, 2010, 05:54 AM
AMA # 949551
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined Oct 2009
2,176 Posts
Fellow convert!!!

Hi Mountainsax,

Glad you have come aboard! I will be shipping my BOL this morning to a lucky buyer.

The though of a "hanger queen" didn't work for me as I was no longer even enjoying the mindless flying!

Just my "personal build"!

I read about your problem on the other thread with "glitching". I, by NO MEANS know what I am talking about but did you put a BEC in your build??

It prevents "brown out" to your critical systems due to lack of voltage. I actually got to experience brown out when I put metal servos on board and went digital. They require more juice and it I experienced what happens when you got to Low Voltage at the end of a pack!

A BEC is money well spent!

Film your event and post it here and here!

Best to ya!

Brian

PS if you want to enjoy my flying evolution. Click here!
Last edited by rikybob; Jun 29, 2010 at 06:16 AM.
Old Jun 29, 2010, 06:42 AM
Nottinghamshire, UK
Joined Dec 2009
582 Posts
Hi Brian,

Good idea this thread Although my Big Lama's are uneasy about the word "converts"!

An external BEC is something I have resisted on my HK450-GT and so far after 20 lipo's no sign of a brownout. I'm not convinced an external BEC is needed for the majority of builds unless you use power hungry servos etc. The Hobbywing Pentium / Turnigy Plush 40A esc's have 3A BEC's which are serving me well.

A point of interest related external BEC's is the Spektrum rx's seem to have poor low voltage performance and are more vulnerable to brownouts than most (read here about half way down).

Also, I have now wired a xt60 onto this well priced lipo and hope to test later. GePower is a good brand in my experience.

Simon
sgbfly is offline Find More Posts by sgbfly
Old Jun 29, 2010, 07:06 AM
AMA # 949551
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined Oct 2009
2,176 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgbfly View Post
Hi Brian,

Good idea this thread Although my Big Lama's are uneasy about the word "converts"!

An external BEC is something I have resisted on my HK450-GT and so far after 20 lipo's no sign of a brownout. I'm not convinced an external BEC is needed for the majority of builds unless you use power hungry servos etc. The Hobbywing Pentium / Turnigy Plush 40A esc's have 3A BEC's which are serving me well.

A point of interest related external BEC's is the Spektrum rx's seem to have poor low voltage performance and are more vulnerable to brownouts than most (read here about half way down).

Also, I have now wired a xt60 onto this well priced lipo and hope to test later. GePower is a good brand in my experience.

Simon
Mornin' Simon!

"Convertz" with a "z" by definition doesn't disinclude the opportunity to enjoy the Coaxial just to include the use of a CP bird!

Yeah, mebbe that was my issue with the Spektrum Rx in that as you know I experienced brown out with the new servos.

I do recall the 72mhz system giving trouble when the Rx too near the brushless motor but I am really at a loss.

ESC's do go bad though.

Hope your tried and true GE's work to specs!

Glad you are visiting.....didn't want to wear out my welcome on the BOL thread!

Brian
Old Jun 29, 2010, 02:52 PM
Forever WTTM Pilot #7
Daytona Beach, Florida, United States
Joined Aug 2002
11,786 Posts
Brian! Help me! LOL!

I get my 450 back sometime this week. Just got off the phone with Tony and he's still adjusting it for the "perfect trim". We need to get together soon so you can get me up to speed on the 450... I kept 2 coaxials... again, for lazy mindless flying. The 450 wants to kill you and anyone around you!

Good idea for us to get out of the BOL thread instead of tying it up with talk about the 450. I'll be frequently checking this thread now too.

Buzz
Buzz is online now Find More Posts by Buzz
Old Jun 29, 2010, 03:06 PM
AMA # 949551
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined Oct 2009
2,176 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz View Post
Brian! Help me! LOL!

I get my 450 back sometime this week. Just got off the phone with Tony and he's still adjusting it for the "perfect trim". We need to get together soon so you can get me up to speed on the 450... I kept 2 coaxials... again, for lazy mindless flying. The 450 wants to kill you and anyone around you!

Good idea for us to get out of the BOL thread instead of tying it up with talk about the 450. I'll be frequently checking this thread now too.

Buzz
Hi again Buzz!

Welcome, I don't know that it will be all that popular a thread but a nice place to talk about the otherwise considered off topic on the BOL thread.

Folks there have really, really been tolerant of our dallying and I just want to give them a break!

I am leaving on annual leave tomorrow and won't be back till the 13th then possibly deployed to the panhandle........if I am not on rotation (I won't know prolly for some days) I can help you when I get back!

I really recommend that you have a pal when you fire that baby up and I know it has been some days and yer prolly ready but I have pretty good experience with that platform!

But if you can hold on I promise to catch up with you if I can before deployment!

If you can't just go slooooowwww!

Lemme know!

bb
Last edited by rikybob; Jun 29, 2010 at 03:20 PM.
Old Jun 29, 2010, 03:40 PM
Forever WTTM Pilot #7
Daytona Beach, Florida, United States
Joined Aug 2002
11,786 Posts
[QUOTE=rikybob;15431347]Hi again Buzz!

Welcome, I don't know that it will be all that popular a thread but a nice place to talk about the otherwise considered off topic on the BOL thread.

Folks there have really, really been tolerant of our dallying and I just want to give them a break!

Yeah, I felt sort of bad about interrupting them too. I don't think you'll find a better group of people from all over the world than the guys at RCU on the BOL thread. I fully intend to keep in touch with them.

I am leaving on annual leave tomorrow and won't be back till the 13th then possibly deployed to the panhandle........if I am not on rotation (I won't know prolly for some days) I can help you when I get back!

Lord, what a mess BP has made out of our coast up there. I'm feeling it would be very hard to contain that oil spill before it gets to the Gulf Stream east of me.

I really recommend that you have a pal when you fire that baby up and I know it has been some days and yer prolly ready but I have pretty good experience with that platform!

Well, Tony and I were talking and although I've flown them before... it was a long time ago and this is a totally different animal. I had the C/G so far off on the 450, it took off backwards. That's what caused the crash.

But if you can hold on I promise to catch up with you if I can before deployment!

I hope they don't deploy you up there for a long time. Things are going to get rough .. we haven't seen anything yet! Oil up that side arm, and be careful my friend. I'll probably play with all of the settings on the 450 when it gets here and I have to put the tail, head and drive gear on.... plus the belt. But, that's the way you learn... I hope you have a laptop to take with you so you can stay in touch here.

Buzz

Lemme know!

SLOW? What is that? Heh, heh, heh.... yeah, I don't think I'll try to take off and hover before you get back..... maybe.

Enjoy your time off!

Buzz
Buzz is online now Find More Posts by Buzz
Old Jun 29, 2010, 04:08 PM
AMA # 949551
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined Oct 2009
2,176 Posts
[QUOTE=Buzz;15431568]
Quote:
Originally Posted by rikybob View Post
Hi again Buzz!

Yeah, I felt sort of bad about interrupting them too. I don't think you'll find a better group of people from all over the world than the guys at RCU on the BOL thread. I fully intend to keep in touch with them.

Lord, what a mess BP has made out of our coast up there. I'm feeling it would be very hard to contain that oil spill before it gets to the Gulf Stream east of me.

Well, Tony and I were talking and although I've flown them before... it was a long time ago and this is a totally different animal. I had the C/G so far off on the 450, it took off backwards. That's what caused the crash.

I hope they don't deploy you up there for a long time. Things are going to get rough .. we haven't seen anything yet! Oil up that side arm, and be careful my friend. I'll probably play with all of the settings on the 450 when it gets here and I have to put the tail, head and drive gear on.... plus the belt. But, that's the way you learn... I hope you have a laptop to take with you so you can stay in touch here.

Buzz

Lemme know!

SLOW? What is that? Heh, heh, heh.... yeah, I don't think I'll try to take off and hover before you get back..... maybe.

Enjoy your time off!

Buzz
Buzz,

Know that I offered!

Remember, BE the helicopter, BE the HELI!

Best to ya!

Brian

Edit: Yeah, the problem is, is that the is a HUGE suspended oil plume in the gulf UNDER the water! It hasn't raised its ugly head yet but is six miles long and hundreds of feet deep!

We will see!
Last edited by rikybob; Jun 29, 2010 at 04:20 PM. Reason: didn't see bold above..........
Old Jun 29, 2010, 04:18 PM
AMA # 949551
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined Oct 2009
2,176 Posts
Hk450 gt...

The new lil BEAST!

The Thunder quail!

I hope all are having a great day!

Brian
Old Jun 29, 2010, 04:48 PM
AMA # 949551
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined Oct 2009
2,176 Posts
Muhooo ha ha haaaaa!

Since I am the moderator of this lil thread/blog I am drunk with power!

I encourage off topic behavior and will start with mine!

A pic of the "office" in which I work on the St. Johns River in the "Mims" area!

Additionally a pic of a stuck airboat from someone who didn't listen when I said that "It won't run dry"!

Too windy to fly!

Cheers!

Brian
Last edited by rikybob; Jun 29, 2010 at 05:17 PM.
Old Jun 29, 2010, 11:29 PM
Member of the RC OCD Group
United States, WA, Gig Harbor
Joined Jan 2010
553 Posts
I agree with this topic. I have zero desire to fly any of my other helis except my 450Pro V3.

I flew 8 batteries today and that was just out front Tomorrow should be hitting up the big field.

Dan
bbrstorm is offline Find More Posts by bbrstorm
Old Jun 30, 2010, 05:53 AM
AMA # 949551
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined Oct 2009
2,176 Posts
Dan,

Glad to have you stop by!

Today I showed amazing restraint!

I came close to buying this but resisted!!!

I still have a 250 to finish the build on!

I MAY be growing up!

Best to all!

Brian
Old Jun 30, 2010, 06:39 AM
Fix, Fix, Fly, Fix, Fix, Fly
Colorado
Joined Apr 2009
635 Posts
One thing at a time Brian!!
mountainsax is offline Find More Posts by mountainsax
Old Jun 30, 2010, 11:12 AM
AMA # 949551
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined Oct 2009
2,176 Posts
Fun stuff to do before

Work!

Thunder Chicken at Butler (4 min 59 sec)

Brian
Closed Thread