HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 29, 2012, 10:58 PM
United States, CT, Bridgeport
Joined May 2012
1,516 Posts
Ok, I was thinking of a clamp AMP meter that also has a DC setting. Like the regular ac amp meters, you can measure DC amps without cutting into the wire. I have one that I use on my planes on the ground.

If quanum had a mini-clamp that could be put around one of the battery leads, it would be a nice addition. But it doesn't seem like quanum is on HK's development fast track. It seems like Eagletree has something like that though.
stevea3342 is online now Find More Posts by stevea3342
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 29, 2012, 11:07 PM
ancora imparo
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Jul 2005
6,909 Posts
The clamp idea is attractive but I suspect mechanical size and ruggedness would be a problem.

All clamp meters are a bit susceptible to orientation and placement.
Agree if they could devise a neat rugged reliable simple one it would be good. Needs an innovative company with good R&D skills like Eagletree. However As far as I know their current sensor is just a normal through hole Hall Effect and you have to cut the battery wire.

Quanum isn't that kind of mob though. They are just using off the shelf components and software programming.
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevea3342 View Post
Ok, I was thinking of a clamp AMP meter that also has a DC setting. Like the regular ac amp meters, you can measure DC amps without cutting into the wire. I have one that I use on my planes on the ground.

If quanum had a mini-clamp that could be put around one of the battery leads, it would be a nice addition. But it doesn't seem like quanum is on HK's development fast track. It seems like Eagletree has something like that though.
jj604 is offline Find More Posts by jj604
Old Dec 30, 2012, 06:26 AM
Western Europe 52.7 N 8.9 W
Joined Jul 2007
2,619 Posts
I remember in some of the earlier posts on this thread there were complaints that it was a problem to move the Quanum kit from one plane to another ..... i.e. hard wiring the kit .....

I hope this approach is not being used now ....
hobie14 is offline Find More Posts by hobie14
Old Dec 30, 2012, 09:54 AM
United States, CT, Bridgeport
Joined May 2012
1,516 Posts
Has anyone bound more than one telemetry unit to the base? It doesn't look like the base supports multiple model configurations but wanted to know if you could still use several different remote units with the same base (or if you have to bind every time etc)
stevea3342 is online now Find More Posts by stevea3342
Old Dec 31, 2012, 09:38 AM
Fuzzy Member
Renton WA
Joined Oct 2001
825 Posts
When I tried, it didn't work. I makes sense though, since the display is getting a signal from the remote unit, It would be a little like trying to bind one Spektrum RX to respond to several Tx's at once. It would have to remember each remote's code.

As far as the future of the unit, Even though other Tx's are starting to go to Telemetry, I think there is still a market for the unit. I am not ready to throw away all my old Rx's and high end transmitters just to lock into one company's telemetry.
lupy is offline Find More Posts by lupy
Old Jan 09, 2013, 12:43 PM
United States, DC, Washington
Joined Mar 2012
138 Posts
Anyone want my Quanum?

I have a Quanum base unit transmitter, and amp/temp sensor board that I simply cannot get the transmitter to bind, and/or the voltage/current reads 0 (zero).

Anyway I have three pieces, the reciever, the transmitter and the amp/temp board with deans soldered on for sale as is PM me with an offer if your interested in them priority mail to lower 48 states. You may be able to use these pieces, I cannot.
Tom.in.Maryland is offline Find More Posts by Tom.in.Maryland
Old Apr 17, 2013, 07:07 PM
Joined Apr 2013
1 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by phil_g View Post
Sorry I wasnt referring to the regulator dropout and its minimum input voltage, what I meant is that if the 2S input is held at 8v using a 7808 regulator, then the 3S point can only be a maximum of 5v above that (5v per cell max for the Quanum A/D inputs) hence if 2S is held at 8v the max it could monitor at the 3S pin would be 13volts, not quite enough for a leisure battery.
We'd have to go to the 4S input which would give an input limit of 18 volts, which is 8v(at the 2S input) +5v max(at the 3S input) +5v max(at the 4S input) if you see what I mean. With an LDO 8v regulator you might get a range of 9v to 18v:

A benefit of connecting it this way is that there is no supply drain from the first two cells of the battery to cause an imbalance - all current comes from the battery pos rail:
can i connect the quanum telemetry with lead acid baterries? what i want to do it?
billismatador is offline Find More Posts by billismatador
Old Apr 18, 2013, 03:23 AM
Austria
Joined Jan 2004
8,069 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by billismatador View Post
can i connect the quanum telemetry with lead acid baterries? what i want to do it?
Yes you can ... but you need to make your custom adapter ... 12V acid battery can be seen ad a 3s Lipo ... but you need provide like 5 to 8V with 30mA on 2S poistion for power the Quantum TX

You may want to use a voltage regulator for it ...
e_lm_70 is offline Find More Posts by e_lm_70
Old May 09, 2013, 05:12 PM
Windsor, Canada, near Detroit
Joined Jul 2007
5,227 Posts
tx blinking

ok folks: seems to be that this thread is loosing its momentum, so am not sure if any1 will be still around to help me:
when i plug in the transmitter ( the 1 that goes in the airplane) the led goes on solid and then jumps into fast blinking. i already have done the binding, so it is not that it needs to do binding, because when i activate the rx (the display that goes on top of the radio tx) it shows that it is getting the readings of voltage in the pack, so it means that it is in contact with the tx, as in normal operational mode. but then, why is it still blinking?
does any1 knows why and what can i do?
i began using this telemetry long ago, but i forgot all and am starting to re-learn it.
and the thread is so long and i have not been able to find an answer to this.
still, if some1 knows that there is a post where this is explained, please bring the #.

thanks
phil alvirez is offline Find More Posts by phil alvirez
Old May 10, 2013, 05:44 AM
Son, Norway
Joined Sep 2004
3,421 Posts
This is the normal operation. LED blinks to indicate that data is transmitted.

Fred
flarssen is offline Find More Posts by flarssen
Old May 10, 2013, 11:24 AM
Joined Jul 2007
5,227 Posts
thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by flarssen View Post
This is the normal operation. LED blinks to indicate that data is transmitted.

Fred
great. thanks.
i forgot this.
Old May 10, 2013, 01:57 PM
Joined Jul 2007
5,227 Posts
2 or more tx's

now, if i have 2 or more tx's (1 per plane) and 1 rx (on the radio), what do i do to have them bound?

does it mean that i have to bind them each time i go from 1 model to another?
Last edited by phil alvirez; May 10, 2013 at 03:02 PM.
Old May 10, 2013, 06:42 PM
rab
----***----
Arlington, Virginia
Joined Aug 2004
702 Posts
Thats what Ive been doing.
rab is offline Find More Posts by rab
Old May 11, 2013, 07:20 AM
Joined Jul 2007
5,227 Posts
binding

this is my 2nd set. the 1st 1 has been doing fine, and i have been using for some time, but now i forgot everything.
instructions for binding say:
hold down transmitter button while connecting the batteries balance plug. once the red light begins to flash, release the bind button. now hold the 'receiver' BIND button and turn the receiver on. wait for the quanum load screen before releasing the BIND button. the system will now be paired & you can view the battery level in real time.
1.- when i plug in the pack's balancing plug, the light is green (not red) (it may not be relevant, just want to mention the discrepancy).
2.-so i press the bind button and plug the pack in, and the light starts blinking fast.
3.-then i release the bind button;
4.-now i hold the receiver bind button and turn the receiver on and wait until the load screen is on and release the bind button. what happens now is that the screen shows readings of the cells. so it is bound.
but the figure of the total voltage of the pack is blinking, and i heard a 4 beeps repeating. and the tx light keeps blinking fast.
why these 3 things?
with the other system this does not happen.
now after going through the screens, the total voltage stopped blinking, but the 4 beeps keep repeating. could it be telling me that the cell needs recharging?
Last edited by phil alvirez; May 11, 2013 at 07:37 AM.
Old May 11, 2013, 07:25 AM
Joined Jul 2007
5,227 Posts
plugging the pack

1 thing that instructions don't show is how to plug in the pack to the tx.

i learned that you have to plug it so the ground (black) wire fits at the bottom pin, when holding the tx with the antenna at the top left.