HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 13, 2010, 11:17 AM
Powered by Flux Capacitor
New Jersey
Joined Oct 2007
61 Posts
I just got one of the Telemetry units a couple of days ago. Its a v2 unit and based on cursory tests the only major issue is that it reads Cell #6 voltage 0.07V too high. As long as this is reading is consistent, I'm don't think its going to be a big deal.
Since the flexible antenna is not available at this time - I am thinking of breaking off the plastic casing in the included antenna to save some weight. Has anybody done this ? I would have created my own antenna with a piece of wire but unfortunately the connector on the transmitter is too shallow and I'm unable to get a standard connector to thread in.
tinkerguy is offline Find More Posts by tinkerguy
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 13, 2010, 05:01 PM
ancora imparo
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Jul 2005
5,638 Posts
These are nice and there will be lots more radios with telemetry coming I'm sure. Multiplex, Graupner and the new Spektrum Dx8 come to mind. It's the way of the future for sure and one of the nice advantages of spread spectrum.

The Quanum doesn't really compete with these. It's an adequate add-on at low cost for folks who don't want to buy new radio gear or do a full 2.4 module update.

John
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbear_fin View Post
HI!

If you want pro telemetry systems which monitors current, voltage and consumed amps look this.

Jeti Duplex 2.4 GHz system
http://www.jetimodel.com/index.php?p...d=0&category=4
http://www.jetimodel.com/index.php?page=product&id=22

"MUI sensors allow setting of acoustical signals in order to announce violation of set parameters. Such alarms may be set for measuremets of maximum current and minimum voltage as well as for a maximum of consumed battery capacity. The sound signal is generated by a siren integrated in the transmitter module. For better differentiation are the particular alarms distinguished by Morse alphabetic letters. The acoustical alarm generation in case of parameter violation is working even if the JETIBOX is not connected. With the JETIBOX in place the LCD display shows which parameter has been violated. In case of violation of several parameters the alerts alter consecutively as well as the indications on the LCD display."
jj604 is online now Find More Posts by jj604
Old Sep 10, 2010, 04:21 AM
Joined May 2009
154 Posts
Is there any updates coming to quanum telemetry? I have used v2 with good results. I will buy that mah module to make it even better system.
bigbear_fin is offline Find More Posts by bigbear_fin
Old Sep 11, 2010, 09:44 AM
Canada, Quebec, Mercier
Joined Dec 2008
586 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbear_fin View Post
Is there any updates coming to quanum telemetry? I have used v2 with good results. I will buy that mah module to make it even better system.
They are back in : http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...dProduct=11251
Batch1 is offline Find More Posts by Batch1
Old Sep 14, 2010, 03:09 AM
Sunnyvale, CA
Joined Jun 2010
34 Posts
Sorry for the newbie question... will the Quanum Telemetry System work with the JR x9503? I am using the satellite module only with my JR.

Thanks!
John
jharrison5 is offline Find More Posts by jharrison5
Old Sep 14, 2010, 04:16 AM
ancora imparo
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Jul 2005
5,638 Posts
John, the radio is irrelevant. The Quanum is a completely stand alone unit (That's why it is attractive for many).

It plugs into the balance connector of your flight pack - which fortuitously has nothing else to do while it is airborne. The Transmitter is self contained and powered by the flight battery through the balance connector. It transmits on only one 2.4GHz frequency, uses very little bandwidth because of the low data rate, and seems to be completely well behaved as far as choosing a non-interfering frequency. No reports I know of any adverse effects on either 35/36/40/72MHz or 2.4GHz. If you want to add the current/mAh/temperature sensor then that has to plug in the power leads between the Flight Battery and the ESC but again no connection to the radio is needed.

John
Quote:
Originally Posted by jharrison5 View Post
Sorry for the newbie question... will the Quanum Telemetry System work with the JR x9503? I am using the satellite module only with my JR.

Thanks!
John
Old Sep 15, 2010, 01:37 PM
United Kingdom, Bracknell
Joined Nov 2000
11,019 Posts
I got mine today, as an aside the transmitter doesn't weigh 16 grams ... it's 18.3 grams as supplied, of which more than half (9.7 grams) is the antenna. I've got a wire one on the way.
Bill Glover is offline Find More Posts by Bill Glover
Old Sep 15, 2010, 01:58 PM
Joined Nov 2000
11,019 Posts
Hmm ... left it on charge for an hour (screen shows "USB power connected" and the charging symbol), but once disconnected the RX just gives a single beep with a completely blank display each time I press the power button. Will leave it on charge for longer, but getting a bit worried now

No problem getting the TX into bind mode though, which seems to be the most common problem?
Old Sep 15, 2010, 02:42 PM
Joined Nov 2000
11,019 Posts
OK noob alert over ... you have to hold the power button, rather than just press it
Old Sep 15, 2010, 04:33 PM
Joined Nov 2000
11,019 Posts
I didn't like the supplied receiver mount as it stopped the antenna on my 35 Mhz TX from retracting, which meant it wouldn't fit in it's case. So a simple mod. - a small tool clip covered with heatshrink - and the mount goes on and off in a second:

Old Sep 19, 2010, 05:35 PM
Sunnyvale, CA
Joined Jun 2010
34 Posts
I got my Quanum and it works great with my Turnigy battery!!

Unfortunately, the balance port on the Thunderpower has pins too tight together to plug into. Is there a simple adapter to get or do I just need to make one? If I need to make one, what connectors do I need to get?

Thanks,
John

Bill - great idea on your mount!
Last edited by jharrison5; Sep 20, 2010 at 12:21 PM. Reason: Changed to the correct battery name!
Old Sep 20, 2010, 05:41 AM
Joined Nov 2000
11,019 Posts
The pin spacing on the TX is for a JST-XH balance plug, which is becoming the standard nowadays. You should be able to buy converter leads for packs that have other connectors (intended for use with chargers). Search for 'balance adapters'.
Old Sep 20, 2010, 07:54 AM
ancora imparo
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Jul 2005
5,638 Posts
Unfortunately it's not quite that simple if you are trying to keep it light. You need a LIGHTWEIGHT, FEMALE JST-XH to MALE Thundercell adapter (I've no idea what that is - did you mean Thunder Power?). I'm pretty sure you won't find one with all three of the critical features. You might find one here that does the job and if weight isn't an issue that's the best solution as suggested by Bill.

http://www.rclipos.com/Accessories.htm

But they will be a bit heavy. You could make one from a female JST fly lead soldered to a Thunderpower spacing header (I'm guessing 1mm??) or by shortening one of the commercial adapters.

Alternative is the brute force and ignorance solution - bend the pins of the Quanum together slightly to fit in the Thundercell/Thunderpower balance connector. It will work just fine. The Quanum doesn't need a high current connection. Won't work if you need to swap between Thunder Power and JST-XH on the Turnigy though.

If it was me, I would change the Thunderpower balance connector to a JST-XH (and curse the mess that is the totally unnecessary non- standard balance connector situation).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Glover View Post
The pin spacing on the TX is for a JST-XH balance plug, which is becoming the standard nowadays. You should be able to buy converter leads for packs that have other connectors (intended for use with chargers). Search for 'balance adapters'.
Last edited by jj604; Sep 20, 2010 at 08:00 AM.
Old Sep 20, 2010, 11:58 AM
Sunnyvale, CA
Joined Jun 2010
34 Posts
Thanks for the great ideas! Oops, I did mean Thunderpower. Grrr, sure would be nice if we could have some standard connectors! Everyone has to be different. Definitely want to keep it light so I may purchase one and adapt it if needed. thx John

Quote:
Originally Posted by jj604 View Post
Unfortunately it's not quite that simple if you are trying to keep it light. You need a LIGHTWEIGHT, FEMALE JST-XH to MALE Thundercell adapter (I've no idea what that is - did you mean Thunder Power?). I'm pretty sure you won't find one with all three of the critical features. You might find one here that does the job and if weight isn't an issue that's the best solution as suggested by Bill.

http://www.rclipos.com/Accessories.htm

But they will be a bit heavy. You could make one from a female JST fly lead soldered to a Thunderpower spacing header (I'm guessing 1mm??) or by shortening one of the commercial adapters.

Alternative is the brute force and ignorance solution - bend the pins of the Quanum together slightly to fit in the Thundercell/Thunderpower balance connector. It will work just fine. The Quanum doesn't need a high current connection. Won't work if you need to swap between Thunder Power and JST-XH on the Turnigy though.

If it was me, I would change the Thunderpower balance connector to a JST-XH (and curse the mess that is the totally unnecessary non- standard balance connector situation).
Old Sep 20, 2010, 12:06 PM
Joined Jul 2010
58 Posts
I've browsed to the various posts about this Quanum gadget, but cant find the answer.
Can you also use just the temperature reading of the add-on current/temp sensor? Im not interested in current readings.

Or needs this add-on sensor its operating power from the power connection between lipo and ESC? I'm just interested in Temperature telemetry in my RC project en dont want the hassle of soldering the sensor in between the lipo's and batteries.

Thanks for reply up front.
HenryV is offline Find More Posts by HenryV