Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jun 28, 2010, 12:28 PM
Out of helis, sanity returning
Tallahassee, FL
Joined Feb 2009
2,027 Posts
Discussion
Straightening music wire pushrods?

Anyone know a good way to straighten .020 music wire that's been coiled?

The wire that came with my TopSky kit is pretty curved, and I can't help but think that it'd work much better if straight- less friction on the teflon tubing.

Ideas appreciated.

Rick
2400RDR is offline Find More Posts by 2400RDR
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 28, 2010, 01:08 PM
Walter Roos
Canton, Ga.
Joined Aug 2004
3,195 Posts
I once looked into methods to straighten spring steel wire, same as music wire I think, but not for so small a size. It involves using a metal lathe for doing it at home. As best as I can remember the straight spring steel wire you buy was produced on a reel and it has been straightened, which probably accounts for the surface marks you can see on the larger sizes. If someone has an easy way for you that's great, but it's not necessary IMO. You can do a Google search on spring steel wire for the real poop.
I suggest you just use it as is, and forget you were worried about it, or go to your local Hobby shop and buy some straight, if 36" is long enough.

walt
ROOSWH is offline Find More Posts by ROOSWH
Old Jun 28, 2010, 01:34 PM
Tallahassee, FL
Joined Feb 2009
2,027 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROOSWH View Post
I suggest you just use it as is, and forget you were worried about it, or go to your local Hobby shop and buy some straight, if 36" is long enough.

walt
I researched it on the Net, and found nothing that worked either. Being a (recovering) perfectionist, I thought I'd check with the DLG gurus here before I gave up and just used it as is.

Guitar strings of the right diameter can be had, and when you take them out of the package, they are straight, but not long enough.

Rick
Old Jun 28, 2010, 01:49 PM
Steve
USA, PA, Marysville
Joined Nov 2009
442 Posts
to straighten regular wire I chuck it in a drill and clamp the other end. a few turns and its straight but music wire might break
saddlesore is online now Find More Posts by saddlesore
Old Jun 28, 2010, 01:54 PM
Walter Roos
Canton, Ga.
Joined Aug 2004
3,195 Posts
Some of the music wire distributors will sell you the wire in a coil or will straighten it for you, but that's a lot of wire. I seem to remember now something about spinning the wire while putting pressure on it would straighten it out, but to try to do that to a .020" wire would not be fun.

As the young guy at the drive thru window told me, when I asked for a little Dr. Pepper in my Coke " Whatever floats your boat".

walt
PS
Long neck Banjo strings may work. I'm sure there must be some musical instrument that uses long strings.
Old Jun 28, 2010, 03:58 PM
Joined Feb 2009
102 Posts
I haven`t tried this for planes, but im also a guitarist. My strings comes coiled, but when ever i replace the them, they are straight.
So i guess if you strecth it really good, let it stay that way over night, they will probably be straight, or straighter... If you tighten it too much, and cause a break, you can simply buy another one at a music store. They are long enough, and cost nothing. I guess a thin g-string for electric guitar is a good replacement.
Bad scientist is offline Find More Posts by Bad scientist
Old Jun 28, 2010, 04:08 PM
G_T
Joined Apr 2009
5,712 Posts
If you get the stretch tension to the start of the yield point, then when the wire elongates it will straighten and work harden. Assuming it doesn't break.

Gerald
G_T is offline Find More Posts by G_T
Old Jun 28, 2010, 07:32 PM
Joined Jan 2007
4,712 Posts
Don't you weaken it every time you bend it or un-bend it.
prodjx is offline Find More Posts by prodjx
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 28, 2010, 08:32 PM
G_T
Joined Apr 2009
5,712 Posts
Not exactly. It makes it harder and can make it stronger. That is work hardening. But beyond a certain point it makes it brittle and weaker.

Gerald
G_T is offline Find More Posts by G_T
Old Jun 29, 2010, 09:17 AM
Kyle Clayton
United States, VA, Dinwiddie
Joined Feb 2008
2,375 Posts
Easily, two strong guys pulling at each end :-D sorry lol, I had to throw it out there, my dad and I do electrical work every now and then and I'll never forget when I asked him how to straighten out a severely coiled up roll of romex. Without even missing a beat or even a crack of a smile that was his exact words :-)
Wave Glider is offline Find More Posts by Wave Glider
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Helios and XXLite DLG
Old Jun 29, 2010, 11:18 AM
Scott Zastoupil
USA, WI, Waupaca
Joined Aug 2002
1,625 Posts
What great timing as I was just working on installing 0.018" pushrods last night. I tried hand straightening it and ended up with a lot of waviness. Also tried running it along a table edge, but part of it ended up straight and the other part very curly. Finally I just installed the wire in the teflon tubing and layed it along the boom and found it was already very straight. The diameter of a relaxed coil loop is 8-10". So in my opinion, do nothing. Tack one end of your teflon tubing, pull it so it's under tension and tack the other end. It should be straight as an arrow, or straight enough.
szastoupil is offline Find More Posts by szastoupil
Old Jun 29, 2010, 02:35 PM
Walter Roos
Canton, Ga.
Joined Aug 2004
3,195 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by szastoupil View Post
What great timing as I was just working on installing 0.018" pushrods last night. I tried hand straightening it and ended up with a lot of waviness. Also tried running it along a table edge, but part of it ended up straight and the other part very curly. Finally I just installed the wire in the teflon tubing and layed it along the boom and found it was already very straight. The diameter of a relaxed coil loop is 8-10". So in my opinion, do nothing. Tack one end of your teflon tubing, pull it so it's under tension and tack the other end. It should be straight as an arrow, or straight enough.
Scott,
In my experience, especially if using carbon rods in the tubing, if you do not have a really straight run, then it's best to put a straight piece of music wire, of the largest size that will fit inside the tubing to smooth out transitions/bends when glueing to get the minimum friction. I do the same for the stainless steel control wire, but it does have a lot less friction.

walt
Old Jul 12, 2010, 11:34 PM
Congress, AZ
Joined Sep 2001
4,868 Posts
I use stainless steel fishing leader in .020, it's coiled in the pack, but straight after it's taken off the coil. I'd think maybe the problem is the wire. I get mine at Walmart or a large boat store.

Gary
GaryO is offline Find More Posts by GaryO
Old Jul 13, 2010, 07:19 PM
Tallahassee, FL
Joined Feb 2009
2,027 Posts
Well, as it turned out, I used the curved wire as someone suggested, and all was well.

I may look into the wire leader in the future. Also, I have quite a bit of .018 music wire that came coiled loosely enough that it is straight when uncoiled (I built musical instruments at one time and have a lot of this stuff left over). Anyone know if .018 would be OK in place of .020?

Rick
Old Jul 13, 2010, 08:18 PM
Joined Jun 2006
164 Posts
we've been using .039 music wire.
bought it at the local hardware/everything store in town.
its TOO straight to coil. comes in a long tube.
no slop.

-roy
roybe is offline Find More Posts by roybe