HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 28, 2010, 07:02 AM
The Netherlands, Utrecht, Amersfoort
Joined Oct 2004
2,192 Posts
New Product
HobbyKing Variable 6S 50W 5A Balancer/Charger with accessories

HobbyKing Variable 6S 50W 5A Balancer/Charger with accessories:

The HobbyKing Variable 6S is a rapid balance Charger with high performance microprocessor and unique operating system. Equipped with the very accurate factory calibrated variable resistors to balance and charge Lithium Polymer and NiMH batteries.

The HobbyKing Variable charger will handle LiPo/LiFe up to 6S and NiMH/NiCd up to 15S and shows individual cell voltage during charge with realtime updates throughout the charge cycle.

The intuitive menu system means charging and cycling is an easy process and can be done quickly and accurately either at the field by using a 12v input such as a car battery or at home with a 12v power supply.
Bundled with the HobbyKing Variable 6S is a bunch of input and output wires which should satisfy any charging requirement.

This charger is very accurate, being configured and calibrated at the factory, plus you can recalibrate it yourself if required.

Features:
Microprocessor controlled
Automatic charging current limit
Capacity limit
Temperature threshold
Delta-peak sensitivity (NiMH/NiCd)
Individual cell balancing
Li-ion, LiPo and LiFe capable
Ni-Cd and NiMH capable
Large range of charge currents
Store function, allows safe storage current
Time limit function
Input voltage monitoring. (Protects car batteries at the field)
Data storage

Specifications:
Input Voltage: 11~18v
Circuit power: Max Charge: 50W / Max Discharge: 5W
Charge Current Range: .1~6.0A
Ni-MH/NiCd cells: 1~15
Li-ion/Poly cells: 1~6
Pb battery voltage: 2~20v
Weight: 193g

http://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=11668
CrashingDutchman is offline Find More Posts by CrashingDutchman
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 28, 2010, 09:23 AM
Air, Ground & Water
Canada, ON, Rockland
Joined Aug 2008
23,798 Posts
The price seams right, but still just like the other of its kind. Its only 50W and it does not even have AC input.

But over good, are you advertizing for them or you have one?
freechip is online now Find More Posts by freechip
Old Jun 28, 2010, 09:49 AM
Joined Oct 2004
2,192 Posts
How can I have one if they just put it on their website?
Old Jun 28, 2010, 11:03 AM
Air, Ground & Water
Canada, ON, Rockland
Joined Aug 2008
23,798 Posts
I do not know I was just asking if you had one and was going to ask if you liked it. Cause for the price it would be a great little field charger for myself.

I failed to see any date or indication that it was just recently posted on their website and now that I think about it after paying for shipping I mite as well get something else for us vendor. Better for me.
freechip is online now Find More Posts by freechip
Old Jun 28, 2010, 11:34 AM
United States, WA, Seattle
Joined Jan 2007
5,230 Posts
This is just YET ANOTHER Bantam/Accucel-6 clone that HK warns you AGAINST buying on the Accucel-6 page.

This one is a buck cheaper.

Confusing, eh? Gotta love it.
flydiver is offline Find More Posts by flydiver
Old Jun 28, 2010, 11:46 AM
Joined Oct 2004
2,192 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by freechip View Post
I do not know I was just asking if you had one and was going to ask if you liked it. Cause for the price it would be a great little field charger for myself.

I failed to see any date or indication that it was just recently posted on their website and now that I think about it after paying for shipping I mite as well get something else for us vendor. Better for me.
It's ok. I used the 'New product' label with my first post so people can see it's new.
Old Jun 28, 2010, 12:56 PM
Denmark
Joined Feb 2005
11 Posts
This one looks to have a mini-USB output and use a seperate board for balancing. I think this is the first of the cheap 50W chargers to come with these features.

Very usefull I think.
Forse is offline Find More Posts by Forse
Old Jul 24, 2010, 11:15 AM
India, Delhi, New Delhi
Joined Jan 2010
168 Posts
this is not a good charger... does not have a calibration menu... so how would you know that calibration is needed or not...
anam_funny is offline Find More Posts by anam_funny
Old Jul 24, 2010, 05:17 PM
Canadian Bacon
Kingston, Canada
Joined Jun 2004
12,739 Posts
It's been out for almost a month. Read the REVIEWS section at the site. Looks like a good one to stay away from. Accucel 6 would be a better choice if your looking for one.

Gord.
flypaper 2 is online now Find More Posts by flypaper 2
Old Jul 31, 2010, 12:35 AM
Joined Aug 2007
231 Posts
Mine stops charging well before reaching 4.2V per cell... Is the final voltage per cell adjustable via the menu?
Roo2 is offline Find More Posts by Roo2
Old Jul 31, 2010, 01:13 PM
NorCal
Joined Dec 2009
1,716 Posts
When this unit is in charging mode there is a line of zeros in the lower right of the screen. As it charges the numbers increase, is that function showing mAmp input? Can't seem to find any info in the manual.
Raften is offline Find More Posts by Raften
Old Jul 31, 2010, 06:18 PM
Canadian Bacon
Kingston, Canada
Joined Jun 2004
12,739 Posts
That's right. Left is time.
Old Oct 08, 2010, 06:37 PM
NorCal
Joined Dec 2009
1,716 Posts
ok, something I don't understand about this charger. When I have both the power plug and the balance plug in operation, I get just about half the mA's put back in compared to when I just have the power plug connected. Is that normal?

Just what is the procedure to charge/balance a battery? Also, how do you read the voltage of each cell? I can't find any answers in the manual that came with it.
Old Oct 08, 2010, 07:14 PM
Canadian Bacon
Kingston, Canada
Joined Jun 2004
12,739 Posts
With both connectors plugged in, it will charge the batt. but not balanced. If you push the + button while it's charging, it will show the indivual cell voltages. In order to get it to balance, before you set the start button to balance, hit the + button and the screen will say balance charge. Now hit the start button and hold it down to charge and it will do a balance charge. It will take longer to charge as it requires more time to balance the cells. I only balance mine about every 6 charge cycles. Hope this helps.

Gord.
Old Oct 08, 2010, 09:44 PM
NorCal
Joined Dec 2009
1,716 Posts
Thanks Gord, that helps. Just to be sure, in the procedure you outlined to balance charge, both plugs are used, yes?