HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 25, 2001, 02:32 PM
California
Joined May 2001
92 Posts
inverted flight with Zagi 400X stock setup?

It seems that I can do certain aerobatics fairly competently with my Zagi 400X stock setup. The only modifcation that I've made to my Zagi is putting on a 5.5x4.5 masterairscrew prop. I also use an 8 cell 1400AE pack. I'm wondering if people have been able to fly their Zagis with this setup while doing inverted flight. I've climbed to "safe" altitudes before and have attempted inverted flight, but almost nose dived my plane into the ground, thus haven't tried it since. How much down elevator is needed to sustain inverted flight? Thanks.

-Michael
177ichael is offline Find More Posts by 177ichael
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 25, 2001, 02:42 PM
Terry Dunn
United States, TX, Lubbock
Joined Jan 2001
874 Posts
The amount of down elevator you need to sustain inverted flight will depend on CG, and speed. Based on my experience with the zagi, the simple answer to your question is "not much".
Keep practicing...it gets easier.
Terry
mopar_man is offline Find More Posts by mopar_man
Old Jun 25, 2001, 03:03 PM
I'm disoriented!
Mt. Laurel, NJ, USA
Joined Aug 2000
948 Posts
Also - try a roll out of inverted instead of an inside loop. You need less altitude.

Ask me how I know this.........
ChrisD is offline Find More Posts by ChrisD
Old Jun 25, 2001, 03:17 PM
Wilsonville, OR, USA
Joined Mar 2000
792 Posts
"safe" alititude AND almost nosed in? Either the alititude wasn't very "safe" or you don't have enough control throw.

I found I had to move the CG back a little to reduce the amount of down elevator required to maintain level inverted flight. If you are at full down elevator now then trying moving the CG back.

Keith
Keith Watson is offline Find More Posts by Keith Watson
Old Jun 25, 2001, 03:26 PM
California
Joined May 2001
92 Posts
Well, I was at maybe too high of an altitude to try inverted flight for my first time. The reason for almost nosing in was that I tried to roll into inverted flight and lost orientation of my Zagi. I think the nose dive was, in part, due to the fact that the plane was so high up and it was difficult for me to tell the orientation of my plane. I'll try it again soon and mess with my CG. Thanks for the input.
Old Jun 25, 2001, 03:31 PM
Fish & Fly
Tyler, TX USA
Joined Jul 2000
1,406 Posts
Put it about 2 mistakes high. That ought to be enough.
DaJudge is offline Find More Posts by DaJudge
Old Jun 25, 2001, 03:53 PM
AMA 697691
Rochester, NY, USA
Joined Aug 2000
8,399 Posts
Don't forget to increase your elevon throws a bit from the stock setup for inverted flight.
Greg Covey is offline Find More Posts by Greg Covey
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Greg's Web Hangar
Old Jun 25, 2001, 04:01 PM
California
Joined May 2001
92 Posts
I use the Hitec focus 5x transmitter and haven't really messed with the exponential throw settings at all. I know there are stock settings, which are stated in the Zagi directions, but I never programmed those into my transmitter. I have been flying my Zagi without any throw modification whatsoever. Does the Focus 5x have some sort of default setting or have I been flying my Zagi with full throws? Thanks for your extremely helpful comments and suggestions.
Old Jun 25, 2001, 06:36 PM
San Ramon, CA
Joined May 2001
77 Posts
I also have the Flash 5X system with my Zagi. To increase your throws you could program the radio to provide greater than 100% throws for the servos. I've heard, however, that this can't be done on some servos as the gears will "run out" of teeth. I have the Hitec HS-81's and know that internally they have a couple of teeth missing, so am not sure if they can go much more than 100%. You could also move the control rod out one hole on the servo, or in one hole on the control horn for the elevon. Doing either would provide you with more throw.

The exponential throw function, will not yield you any greater throws, but allows you to make the controls less sensitive initially.

5teve is offline Find More Posts by 5teve
Old Jun 25, 2001, 07:01 PM
California
Joined May 2001
92 Posts
Stephen? Cool, I'll go for inverted some time this week, weather permitting.
Old Jun 25, 2001, 09:18 PM
heli on the brain
Apple Valley/Victorville, Ca
Joined Apr 2001
544 Posts
...i was able to fly fly my stock zagi lap after lap inverted for as long as i wanted ( i say 'was' because ive since converted to a 450T setup which is awesome!) no problems at all with the suggested throws, and a lower end focus3 fm system. as long as you have the balance set right you should be able to fly inverted indefinately, being that you know how to of course. id recommend doing half a roll then correcting to stay inverted so that you dont loose any altitude as well. after that,hang on, keep it level and have a blast!

DeZ
dezflyer is offline Find More Posts by dezflyer