SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jun 26, 2010, 11:06 PM
USA, CA, Santa Clarita
Joined May 2010
193 Posts
Build Log
T-Rex 450 clone build and possible qustions

Hello everyone!!

I have completed my CopterX 450 Pro V3 about 2 mths ago, and by now I have 50 flights without a crash . Just about to master head in and then it's on to idle up. I am performing a few changes to my setup and I wanted to ask for your guys' opinion.

Here's my current setup:

- CopterX 450 Pro with Align tail boom/linkage rod and metal servo arm
- Alpha 400, 3500KV motor
- 30A Volcano Series ESC
- Futaba S9257 tail servo
- 3x EXI D213F cyclic servos
- GY48V Gyro at 90%
- using a bunch of 2200mah 11.1V 3S 20C Lipos for now

I just bought the Align 430X motor (4050KV) and I am debating between two options for an ESC; I could get a brand new Align 35A RCE-BL35X for $40 shipped, or hobbywing's / ExceedRC's 40A ESC option for $26 shipped. Now, I realize the great deal for the Align ESC ($55 usually), but nonetheless, is it worth the $14 more to get Align, which actually has 5A less? Eventually, I want to go for Castle Creations Ice 50A along with a nice cyclic servo upgrade, but that's just reaching a bit to deep in my pocket at the moment...

Thanks in advance!! I will post some pics soon, but I am still waiting for my new canopy
EmRen is offline Find More Posts by EmRen
Last edited by EmRen; Aug 21, 2010 at 07:48 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 27, 2010, 01:02 AM
USA, CA, Santa Clarita
Joined May 2010
193 Posts
Anyone think it's worth the money for Align?
Old Jun 27, 2010, 07:41 AM
dont play with rc anymore
United States, MO, St Joseph
Joined Feb 2005
1,249 Posts
I would go Align on the esc. You'd be surprised at how much smoother/better a motor will run with an esc that was designed for it.
micronut is offline Find More Posts by micronut
Old Jun 27, 2010, 08:34 AM
dze
Joined Jan 2008
5,917 Posts
+1, i wouldnt trade an align35 for 4 exceeds or volcanos .. the absolute numbers wont mean much when your comparing a namebrand to a generic esc, a 25 amp namebrand will likely take more abuse than a 50A generic and as was said above the align will be 10X smoother ...
dze is offline Find More Posts by dze
Old Jun 27, 2010, 10:39 AM
Axes & Blades-Cutlery & Helis
West Monroe NY
Joined Feb 2009
3,374 Posts
Hmmmm, why are you changing the motor/ESC. For your current flying that motor and ESC seem fine. Do you feel you need allot more power? Could be your throttle curve and swash mix. I have a EXI450V2 with that same motor and ESC, my throttle curve is 0,35,70,85,100, with swash mix of 65 on all three gives me +/-10 deg.

I have lots of umph.

BTW, that GV48 is a good low cost gyro but that is a good first upgrade, I'm debating the GY520 and the Quark.

Good luck
ewoodcox is offline Find More Posts by ewoodcox
Old Jun 27, 2010, 10:58 AM
Beaverton, OR
Joined Nov 2006
93 Posts
" EXI D213F cyclic servos " Are these good servo ?
I bought the T-Pro MG90S 9G Metal Gear Servos, but it seems hard to fit inside the frame, and the servo's arm is too thick ...
love_misa is offline Find More Posts by love_misa
Old Jun 27, 2010, 12:17 PM
Joined May 2005
223 Posts
hi i have the EXI D213F servo's in my exi for cyclic
and they are fine you will have to do a little filing or cutting on the
servo case to get them to sit flat on the frame but thats no big deal.
the next set of cyclic servo's im going to get will be these
EMAX-ES08MD
http://www.bmkdesigns.net/emax-es08md-servo.html
the specs look pretty good and so is the price
FLYING-HIGH is offline Find More Posts by FLYING-HIGH
Old Jun 27, 2010, 06:58 PM
Beaverton, OR
Joined Nov 2006
93 Posts
Yah, Emax servos is awesome.
I have been using the Emax ES08MA ( not a digital ) for 8 months. I don't know how many did I crash, but I could say that's really awesome servo.
Old Jun 27, 2010, 07:03 PM
NYC, NY
Joined Jul 2007
1,800 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ewoodcox View Post
I'm debating the GY520 and the Quark.

Good luck
I wouldn't debate it that long, I had some of the clone 401 gyro's, I got myself a Quark and the heli is like on rails now, no drift, easy setup and worth the money!
MrRetro is offline Find More Posts by MrRetro
Old Jun 28, 2010, 03:56 AM
Helis crashed while you wait.
Bremerton, WA
Joined Jun 2010
69 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by micronut View Post
I would go Align on the esc. You'd be surprised at how much smoother/better a motor will run with an esc that was designed for it.
I just s-canned my Vocano 30A and replaced it with an Align 35A ESC. Wow.. what a difference in throttle response. Someone the entire things just seems to run smoother, plus the variable motor speed I could hear with the Volcano (RPM drift of some sort) is totally gone. I also like the Align's super-soft startup. Saved me some pain when I bumped the off-switch on my transmitter, thing started to spool up! But it was nice and slow so by the time the radio re-bound it was not even close to taking flight. I have an Alpha400 motor (not the Align) and it seems much happier with the Align ESC. Worth the money, I think.
DesmoDave is offline Find More Posts by DesmoDave
Old Jun 30, 2010, 05:44 AM
USA, CA, Santa Clarita
Joined May 2010
193 Posts
Thanks so much for all your opinions!!! My buddy just switched out his tail blade grips and other parts around the tail for original Align parts. The difference in quality is more than noticeable. No question you pay for it, but the quality is far superior. Naturally, that must almost count double for electronics.

I will report back with more to come, foremost pics...

PS: I got the new motor, because my Alpha 400 started to make very strange noises and the shaft became very loose, screws needed tapping to even get an inside look. With a superb deal on the 430X, I just went with it. But now I am having tail boom issues after performing fast piros. It moves around and after each flight, my belt tension is virtually non-existent. Going to perform finless Bob's little screw trick and I am thinking about a TT upgrade
Last edited by EmRen; Jun 30, 2010 at 05:54 AM.
Old Jul 10, 2010, 12:04 PM
Italia, Emilia Romagna, Modena
Joined Mar 2009
413 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYING-HIGH View Post
hi i have the EXI D213F servo's in my exi for cyclic
and they are fine you will have to do a little filing or cutting on the
servo case to get them to sit flat on the frame but thats no big deal.
the next set of cyclic servo's im going to get will be these
EMAX-ES08MD
http://www.bmkdesigns.net/emax-es08md-servo.html
the specs look pretty good and so is the price
EMAX-ES08MD caused a lot of interference in my 450...i don't know if it's normal...but i crashed for it!
arnaldo26 is offline Find More Posts by arnaldo26
Old Jul 13, 2010, 04:53 AM
Beaverton, OR
Joined Nov 2006
93 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by arnaldo26 View Post
EMAX-ES08MD caused a lot of interference in my 450...i don't know if it's normal...but i crashed for it!
Yah, I heard ES08MD isn't good enough from some friends.
You should try ES08MA
Old Jul 13, 2010, 10:27 PM
Sippin the Koolaid!
United States, NC, Hertford
Joined Oct 2007
16,468 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by love_misa View Post
" EXI D213F cyclic servos " Are these good servo ?
I bought the T-Pro MG90S 9G Metal Gear Servos, but it seems hard to fit inside the frame, and the servo's arm is too thick ...
My brother put them in his exi 450 and compared to my hs65mgs servos they STINK. They are not bad servos but compared to a good servo you can tell they are cheap. Again If I hadnt had my heli to compare it too he would have thought nothing of it and he would have been totaly happy BUT since he flew mine he wasnt
losifanatic is offline Find More Posts by losifanatic
Old Jul 22, 2010, 09:52 PM
USA, CA, Santa Clarita
Joined May 2010
193 Posts
Update on my CopterX 450 Pro:

I just received the rest of my upgrade parts, a brand new complete Align TT unit, so all the mechanical parts are now original Align TRex 450 Pro. No more belt drive for me

As my skills have improved over the past few weeks, I have been noticing weak spots in my electronics. Especially in FF/Fast Reverse and fast piros I noticed the GY48V gyro not holding as well as it should (but for $15 Im not complaining) I think I've heard people say to upgrade the gyro before the cyclic servos? Which I was planning to upgrade soon as well. Hitec 65-MG's is what I'm going for.

Current setup:

- GY48V gyro

- 3x DF213's cyclic

- Futaba S9257 (awesome servo obviously)

- Infinite Brushless Motor 3600KV (Scorpion clone motor)

- 35A Align ESC

For the gyro I was thinking CY Mini-G or Align GP750. I've been reading about way to many people having issues with the Align GP780. Spartan DS760 is a bit too pricey right now. I can get the CY Mini-G for $129 shipped and the GP750 for about $90. I've heard mixed opinion about the Futaba GY401. Is it ok to just go with the gyro upgrade first and leave the cyclics alone? I also cannot get my hands on a camera to finally take some pics....LOL. Anyways, appreciate any input regarding my gyro situation.
Last edited by EmRen; Jul 22, 2010 at 09:58 PM.