Posted the issues.
reacher10 is online now Find More Posts by reacher10
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 03, 2010, 01:58 AM
Heli Humbled Daily
Riverside, CA
Joined Jul 2006
2,973 Posts
Again, I think Thus is making remarkable advances, but still not stable enough for me to trust any of my models on.

I have flashed back to what I think is HK Turnigy V2 (somehow my original back up of flysky firmware didn't take).

I think it might be a good idea to post a link to original firmware a beginning of this thread...

Here is a link that includes V1 and V2 firmware in .hex format, although no EEPROM:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=2530

And here is what I believe is the most recent V2 with EEPROM in .bin:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=2550

Please correct me if I am wrong.
Telemachus is offline Find More Posts by Telemachus
Last edited by Telemachus; Jul 03, 2010 at 02:12 AM.
Old Jul 03, 2010, 04:54 AM
Germany
Joined Apr 2009
9 Posts
Here is my v14, complete with eeprom as bin-file.
It is from a flysky with telescope Antenna and I'm successful reflashed my TX after use thus firmware.

Flysky
Andree_ is offline Find More Posts by Andree_
Old Jul 03, 2010, 10:43 AM
Northern Alabama, USA
Joined Apr 2003
684 Posts
Andree,
Thanks for posting this. It is the ONLY original firmware I've been able to reinstall in my Turnigy 9x. I can flash Thus's firmware fine, and yours, but nobody elses. THANK YOU!!!

What programmer did you use to copy these from your Tx?

Jon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andree_ View Post
Here is my v14, complete with eeprom as bin-file.
It is from a flysky with telescope Antenna and I'm successful reflashed my TX after use thus firmware.

Attachment 3337813
jonlowe is online now Find More Posts by jonlowe
Old Jul 03, 2010, 12:52 PM
Germany
Joined Apr 2009
9 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonlowe View Post
What programmer did you use to copy these from your Tx?
This programmer:
http://cgi.ebay.de/AVR-Atmel-ISP-par...item2a08451c10

Software:
WINAVR and AVRDUDE GUI, sometimes PonyProg.

More Information:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=1700

Fine to hear to help someone
Old Jul 03, 2010, 01:14 PM
Northern Alabama, USA
Joined Apr 2003
684 Posts
I just tried saving the V2 firmware and eeprom data from my V2 Turnigy 9x, and copied and verified it. However, it does NOT work in my V1 hardware. However, if I use Andree's FlySky firmware, and my V2 eeprom file, that works. In fact, I had a model with two elevator servos activated in my V2 in ailvator. That works, however, I cannot change the values in the ailvator setup. I can seem to change them, but if I save them and then go back into that menu, the old values are right back. Ailvator does not work at all in the FlySky firmware he posted. If I reset the eeprom, by holding Exit and turning on the 9x, it resets the values in ailvator to zeros, and I cannot save new values. This tells me that while the V1 firmware recognizes the values stored in the eeprom, the firwmare cannot save new values. Very weird.

I also noticed that dual rates and expo seem to work fine in his V1 firmware. They would not work at all in my original V1 Turnigy firmware.

If I write just his firmware, no eeprom data, it complains that the eeprom is corrupt, as normal. If I try a reset on the eeprom (Exit and power on) it tries to initialize, and fails.

I'm beginning to think there were two versions of V1 firmware, one where DR/Exp didn't work together, and another where they did. Ailvator didn't work in either.

All of this still doesn't explain why his firmware and Thus's are the only ones that work in my V1 9x, using the same programmer.
Old Jul 03, 2010, 01:47 PM
Germany
Joined Apr 2009
9 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonlowe View Post
If I write just his firmware, no eeprom data, it complains that the eeprom is corrupt, as normal. If I try a reset on the eeprom (Exit and power on) it tries to initialize, and fails.
My first try's fails also. Flash thus-firmware, get eeprom error, switch TX off and on, get eeprom error.

At last, I try up, down, +, - switch on TX -and suddenly it works.
Old Jul 03, 2010, 02:26 PM
Northern Alabama, USA
Joined Apr 2003
684 Posts
I just found out something else. What works and what doesn't seems to have something to do with the size of the flashfile. The FlySky file is 65362 bytes. The Old Turnigy 9x is 65496. The V2 file is 65418. An old IMAX file that someone posted is 65182, and I just found that it works also, but boy is it buggy!! No DR with expo, no ailvator, beeps CONSTANTLY. A Turnigy file by the same guy doesn't work. I also copied Andree's FlySky file to my 9x, then resaved it to my computer, then recopied it to the 9x, and that all works. And Thus's firmware is a lot smaller than any of the above.

Maybe it has something to do with how the specific programmer terminates the end of the file? Or maybe, the chip erase is not really cleaning all of the old bits out? Or maybe I have some bad flash momory in my chip that won't accomodate a slightly larger file? I noticed that all of the eeprom files are exactly 2048 bytes. Interesting that the flash files sizes are all over the map.

Anyone have any clues?

Jon
Old Jul 03, 2010, 02:58 PM
Heli Humbled Daily
Riverside, CA
Joined Jul 2006
2,973 Posts
I noticed that with the Imax firmware last night. At first, the beep is not nearly as loud as the Turnigy or Flysky firmware, so I thought, "NICE."

Then, when you move around in the menu, it starts beeping constantly and LOUD.

I can't imagine the hardware is different, so I don't know what is up with those Imax flash images.
Old Jul 03, 2010, 03:33 PM
Northern Alabama, USA
Joined Apr 2003
684 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Telemachus View Post
I noticed that with the Imax firmware last night. At first, the beep is not nearly as loud as the Turnigy or Flysky firmware, so I thought, "NICE."

Then, when you move around in the menu, it starts beeping constantly and LOUD.

I can't imagine the hardware is different, so I don't know what is up with those Imax flash images.
Weird, isn't it?

I'm beginning to think there are a few differences in hardware. I just wired up my V2 today so that I could download a copy of its firmware to see if I could get it to load onto my V1. Anyway, when I hooked up the programmer, using programmer power to activate the chip, the beeper constantly gave a low voltage beep. My V1 doesn't do that when running off programmer power. Why, I don't have a clue.

Jon
Old Jul 03, 2010, 03:42 PM
Northern Alabama, USA
Joined Apr 2003
684 Posts
Telemachus,
You are using the Sparkfun AVR Pocket Programmer, aren't you? Are you using avrdude-gui? If so, how did you get usbtiny and the USB port to show up in the interface? It doesn't appear that avrdude-gui is parsing the avrdude.config file properly. Right now, I'm manually changing the command line to correct to the right programmer. I REALLY don't want to use the standard avrdude command line interface!

Jon
Old Jul 03, 2010, 03:59 PM
Johannes
Switzerland, Vaud, Lausanne
Joined May 2010
23 Posts
yeap, avrdude gui 0.20 doesn't support the tinyusb despite its listing in the config file. Other GUI's that work with the tinyusb are listed here:

http://code.google.com/p/th9x/wiki/i...p_the_Software

my v2 also makes the low voltage beeps when powered by programmer... very molesting!
joan is offline Find More Posts by joan
Last edited by joan; Jul 03, 2010 at 04:24 PM.
Old Jul 03, 2010, 06:31 PM
Heli Humbled Daily
Riverside, CA
Joined Jul 2006
2,973 Posts
Jon, I am using command line only, but I have made a series of batch files that I use. If you need them, let me know.
Old Jul 03, 2010, 08:05 PM
LI, NY,
Joined Oct 2008
1,966 Posts
When I went to the USB programmer I disconnected the 5v wire. I was messing with mine tonight and decided to reconnect the 5v. I can save my models!

I'm going to try and load the V2 FW that Andree posted just as a test.

OK. Andree's version works. Now we're getting somewhere.

I'm still going to use thus's FW.

Also I didn't realise there is a subtrim setting on the last page....DOH!
reacher10 is online now Find More Posts by reacher10
Last edited by reacher10; Jul 03, 2010 at 09:10 PM.
Old Jul 03, 2010, 08:56 PM
Heli Humbled Daily
Riverside, CA
Joined Jul 2006
2,973 Posts
so without 5 volts connected to the programmer, you can't backup the EEPROM?

The pocket AVR programmer has a small dip switch that turns the VCC out on the programmer (pin 2 I believe) on and off. I haven't used the VCC lead at all, since the S-Video connection I am using only has 4 pins and ground.