HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 01, 2010, 10:53 AM
Heli Humbled Daily
Riverside, CA
Joined Jul 2006
2,973 Posts
As you saying the switches need to be in the up position or the down? Mine is a V2.and flashes fine... But I always leave the switches up/back
Telemachus is offline Find More Posts by Telemachus
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 01, 2010, 11:07 AM
USA, SE Wisconsin
Joined May 2009
2,375 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Telemachus View Post
As you saying the switches need to be in the up position or the down? Mine is a V2.and flashes fine... But I always leave the switches up/back
I think a better way to describe it would be if they are pushed towards the front or towards the back.
crucial is offline Find More Posts by crucial
Old Jul 01, 2010, 01:49 PM
Johannes
Switzerland, Vaud, Lausanne
Joined May 2010
23 Posts
@telemachus: can you flash it regardless of the thr and ail switch position? For my th9x, MISO/MOSI have high potential if the switches are in the position that would give `switch error` at startup that is the 'up position'!
joan is offline Find More Posts by joan
Last edited by joan; Jul 03, 2010 at 04:41 AM.
Old Jul 01, 2010, 04:47 PM
Heli Humbled Daily
Riverside, CA
Joined Jul 2006
2,973 Posts
I have only tried it with the switches in standard position, and will probably continue to do so.
Telemachus is offline Find More Posts by Telemachus
Old Jul 01, 2010, 04:57 PM
Johannes
Switzerland, Vaud, Lausanne
Joined May 2010
23 Posts
well, you could simply try if your programmer connects to your Tx with avrdude. If it doesn't work avrdude states a wrong signature...

but thats interesting, your v2 is different from mine... I wonder whose Tx is the weird one, I guess mine is a monday morning Tx
joan is offline Find More Posts by joan
Last edited by joan; Jul 01, 2010 at 05:55 PM.
Old Jul 01, 2010, 10:23 PM
LI, NY,
Joined Oct 2008
1,964 Posts
I programed & flew 3 models today. I have slight servo movement when I switch between high and low rates, not all surfaces just some, elevator was one of em. I used the new dual rate menu.

Because it was windy I couldn't tell the effect on the trim. Tomorrow morning if the wind is down I'll see if there is any effect on the models.

But there really shouldn't be any servo movement at all.

Overall though the lastest release is a big improvement, I'm happy. Ya gotta love the price of this thing and what you're able to do with it now.

I don't fly helicopters so I really have no idea how hard it would be to program one.

Thus...You Rock!
reacher10 is offline Find More Posts by reacher10
Old Jul 01, 2010, 10:28 PM
R.I.P, Aardvark.
Holt, MI
Joined Jan 2009
1,554 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by reacher10 View Post
Because it was windy I couldn't tell the effect on the trim. Tomorrow morning if the wind is down I'll see if there is any effect on the models.

But there really shouldn't be any servo movement at all.
How much trim and subtrim do you have on the affected channels? If you have a lot of subtrim, it sounds like it gets reduced by the dual rate just like stick movement does.

If you have your subtrims zeroed do you see any movement with dual rates? If not, then it's a software error not holding the trimmed neutral position, and is instead acting like your radio has mechanical trims.
F-111 John is offline Find More Posts by F-111 John
Old Jul 02, 2010, 06:36 AM
LI, NY,
Joined Oct 2008
1,964 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by F-111 John View Post
How much trim and subtrim do you have on the affected channels? If you have a lot of subtrim, it sounds like it gets reduced by the dual rate just like stick movement does.

If you have your subtrims zeroed do you see any movement with dual rates? If not, then it's a software error not holding the trimmed neutral position, and is instead acting like your radio has mechanical trims.
I don't think there really is subtrim. When I trim the surfaces to nuetral for the first flight the I have to use the trim buttons. Then I go to the trim menu and set those trims as the base.

It's at this point that I notice the trim change between high and low rates. If I go to like max trim it doesn't change trim when rates are changed but this is a radical trim change and the surfaces are maxed in one direction so the model is way to far out of trim to fly.

Once the plane is flying I then trim it for flight. So I end up with two sets of numbers, trim and base. The only way to trim the servos is with the trim buttons. They are not two different types of trim as they should be.

Again...subtrims are to center your servos and trims are to adjust servos for flight. I don't think this is being addressed correctly.

On the main screen with numbers instead of bars the trim change on one model for goes from

Rudder..... -11.6 to -7.3
Aileron....... 2.2 to 4.3
Elevator......2.0 to 2.2

I'll set up trims before dual rates and visa versa (not sure how I did it yesterday) and see if there is any difference. I'll also set trims to zero and see if there is a change.
Last edited by reacher10; Jul 02, 2010 at 07:34 AM.
Old Jul 02, 2010, 06:45 AM
R.I.P, Aardvark.
Holt, MI
Joined Jan 2009
1,554 Posts
Quote:
Again...subtrims are to center your servos and trims are to adjust servos for flight. I don't think this is being addressed correctly.
I think you have the right idea, that the trims are not being addressed correctly by the software.

I agree that subtrim is used when setting up the model on the ground to center the surfaces, and trim is used in flight. Then often after landing a trimmed aircraft, you take out the flight trim and put in more subtrim, so the model is now trimmed for flying with the trims zeroed. This is because there is usually less travel available in flight trim than there is in subtrim, so during flight you want the most trim possible available, so normal flight should be with zero flight trim.

However, the neutral position of the servo should be calculated by the stick being in center position and then trim and subtrim added (or subtracted) to that value. When the stick is fully deflected, the servo should go to endpoint position. When dual rates are used, the center position of the servo shouldn't change, but the endpoint position is reduced by the dual rate percentage.

You should experiment with both the subtrim settings and the front panel trim button settings to find out which one (or both) causes the center of your servo to change, then the software developers can fix how they handle dual rates.

This is the advantage of electronic flight trims over mechanical trims. With mechanical trims, you are actually rotating the joystick pots slightly, and there is no way for the radio to distingush between stick movement and trim movement, so trim will change with dual rates. With electronic flight trim, the servo center shouldn't be affected by dual rates.
F-111 John is offline Find More Posts by F-111 John
Last edited by F-111 John; Jul 02, 2010 at 06:50 AM.
Old Jul 02, 2010, 10:02 AM
USA, SE Wisconsin
Joined May 2009
2,375 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by F-111 John View Post
I think you have the right idea, that the trims are not being addressed correctly by the software.

I agree that subtrim is used when setting up the model on the ground to center the surfaces, and trim is used in flight. Then often after landing a trimmed aircraft, you take out the flight trim and put in more subtrim, so the model is now trimmed for flying with the trims zeroed. This is because there is usually less travel available in flight trim than there is in subtrim, so during flight you want the most trim possible available, so normal flight should be with zero flight trim.

However, the neutral position of the servo should be calculated by the stick being in center position and then trim and subtrim added (or subtracted) to that value. When the stick is fully deflected, the servo should go to endpoint position. When dual rates are used, the center position of the servo shouldn't change, but the endpoint position is reduced by the dual rate percentage.

You should experiment with both the subtrim settings and the front panel trim button settings to find out which one (or both) causes the center of your servo to change, then the software developers can fix how they handle dual rates.

This is the advantage of electronic flight trims over mechanical trims. With mechanical trims, you are actually rotating the joystick pots slightly, and there is no way for the radio to distingush between stick movement and trim movement, so trim will change with dual rates. With electronic flight trim, the servo center shouldn't be affected by dual rates.
This is exactly the same problem I was explaining earlier which caused problem when mixing channels and reducing travel at the end of the stick movement.
crucial is offline Find More Posts by crucial
Old Jul 02, 2010, 10:28 AM
LI, NY,
Joined Oct 2008
1,964 Posts
OK, as soon as I add any difference in dual rate it throws the trim off.

So the trims really need to be written completely different in the software.
Old Jul 02, 2010, 12:13 PM
Northern Alabama, USA
Joined Apr 2003
684 Posts
Quote:
OK, as soon as I add any difference in dual rate it throws the trim off.

So the trims really need to be written completely different in the software.
reacher10,
Please write this up as an issue at the firmware site, here:

http://code.google.com/p/th9x/issues/list

Jon
jonlowe is online now Find More Posts by jonlowe
Old Jul 02, 2010, 02:58 PM
TH9X Firmware: Thus NG
Joined Mar 2010
159 Posts
Can anybody else confirm issue 27 ?
Promix is offline Find More Posts by Promix
Old Jul 02, 2010, 03:30 PM
Northern Alabama, USA
Joined Apr 2003
684 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Promix View Post
Yes, just confirmed it on my system. Seems to only do it on channel 4. Definite bug.

Jon
jonlowe is online now Find More Posts by jonlowe
Old Jul 02, 2010, 06:01 PM
LI, NY,
Joined Oct 2008
1,964 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Promix View Post
It's on CH 4 & Ch 5 on my radio. Servos are jittery in one direction.