HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 13, 2011, 06:14 AM
Sao Paulo, Brasil
Joined Aug 2004
600 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by scott page View Post
It's official. My Futaba 7C has been replaced by er9X.
You're not alone on that battle.

One of my friends bought a Futaba 12ZH a time ago (a ~$2800 box). The unit was used for less than 3 months when stopped working. Probably it was due to an error when writing model configuration to memory (the infamous "backup error"). The local distributor asked around $1000 to fix.

He saw several friends flying ER9x and loved it. So, he decided to bought one, plus backlight and FrSky telemetry combo.

Since he has now soldering skills, currently his radio is on my bench for this, tomorrow I will return it and he will finally able to flight again.

BTW, he has a 72MHz Futaba also, the FlySky V2 module from 9x will be modified and installed on it :P

Of course the V2 module+RX are not as reliable as Futaba FASST, but from my tests they showed pretty close (I guess 6830m range-test is enough).

Actually they far more reliable than DSM2, so many colleagues that used DSM2 also migrated to ER9x
alexcmag is offline Find More Posts by alexcmag
Last edited by alexcmag; Aug 13, 2011 at 06:19 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 13, 2011, 06:30 AM
Quads, 4 times the fun.
Australia, NSW, Brookvale
Joined Apr 2011
724 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DTROWBRIDGE View Post
I just got ER9X flashed to my radio... I am having a problem using the radio with AFPD simulator (it will not see the radio) . I have instaled the FrSky DIY module (non-telemetry). I seem to remember reading somewhere that I should not have to do the resistor mod with the FrSky module. Is there something in the FW that I need to turn on or off for this to work or do I need to do the resistor mod?
The resistor mod, while done on the radio, is actually a fix for a problem with the stock module, so it is unnecessary if you have done the FrSky DIY mod. I have the same setup but with the stock firmware (waiting for my smartie board to arrive). Try just plugging in the sim cable without turning the radio on. The LCD should turn on but the red FrSky LED will remain off. That should work with the simulator. If you turn the radio's power switch on the FrSky LED will light up and it will no longer send a signal to the simulator.

Hope that helps.
rogueqd is offline Find More Posts by rogueqd
Old Aug 13, 2011, 06:44 AM
Joined May 2011
3 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogueqd View Post
The resistor mod, while done on the radio, is actually a fix for a problem with the stock module, so it is unnecessary if you have done the FrSky DIY mod. I have the same setup but with the stock firmware (waiting for my smartie board to arrive). Try just plugging in the sim cable without turning the radio on. The LCD should turn on but the red FrSky LED will remain off. That should work with the simulator. If you turn the radio's power switch on the FrSky LED will light up and it will no longer send a signal to the simulator.

Hope that helps.
I have plugged the cable in without turning the radio on. The LCD lights up and the FrSky LED does not come on. AFPD will see the cable (the Ikaurus USB cable that it came with) but it says transmitter not found.
Thanks,
Dave
DTROWBRIDGE is offline Find More Posts by DTROWBRIDGE
Old Aug 13, 2011, 07:25 AM
USA, SE Wisconsin
Joined May 2009
2,375 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DTROWBRIDGE View Post
I have plugged the cable in without turning the radio on. The LCD lights up and the FrSky LED does not come on. AFPD will see the cable (the Ikaurus USB cable that it came with) but it says transmitter not found.
Thanks,
Dave
http://er9x.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/doc/PPMinFix.pdf

Here is a tutorial for the resistor mod.

There is lots of information on the er9x code page.

http://code.google.com/p/er9x/
crucial is offline Find More Posts by crucial
Old Aug 13, 2011, 07:37 AM
Joined May 2011
3 Posts
Thanks, I will try the resistor mod and see what happens.

Dave
DTROWBRIDGE is offline Find More Posts by DTROWBRIDGE
Old Aug 13, 2011, 08:37 AM
Joined Jan 2011
98 Posts
Hi,

Someone discovered the Turnigy 9x with original Rx has failsafe function :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9h633AcRnLw

You just need to rebind Tx & Rx after failsafe setting/activation... (with Turnigy original FW)
http://www.modelisme.com/forum/aero-...ml#post1789554

But er9x does not have failsafe menu, does it ?
Orphee is offline Find More Posts by Orphee
Old Aug 13, 2011, 09:04 AM
France
Joined Jan 2011
78 Posts
HY on the next french post they said that failsafe is associated with FM Tx & Rx no in 2.4 ghz
jmi
JEANALTAYR is offline Find More Posts by JEANALTAYR
Old Aug 13, 2011, 09:14 AM
Naperville, IL
Joined Mar 2009
832 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwiltshire View Post
I bought a 9x and am having trouble getting the flaps switch to move my flaps down.
I have the flaps on ch.6 but when i flip the switch nothing

as you can tell im new at this stuff
any help would be great
First have you upgraded to Er9x? If not go ask in this forum: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1035575

If you have, try reading the manual. And checking the examples posted here:
http://code.google.com/p/er9x/
gohsthb is offline Find More Posts by gohsthb
Old Aug 13, 2011, 11:04 AM
Joined Jan 2011
98 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JEANALTAYR View Post
HY on the next french post they said that failsafe is associated with FM Tx & Rx no in 2.4 ghz
jmi
After that post about FM, roro33 confirm it works on his Turnigy 9x in 2.4 Ghz and gives the video as a proof.
Old Aug 13, 2011, 11:59 AM
Combat: You're doing it wrong.
United States, UT, Layton
Joined Sep 2009
1,806 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orphee View Post
After that post about FM, roro33 confirm it works on his Turnigy 9x in 2.4 Ghz and gives the video as a proof.
I would like to see the video that proves it.... The video above just shows the motors turning off, which is not failsafe. The ESC turns the motor off when the signal is lost. Failsafe would also require the flight surfaces to return to a preset "nominal" position.
chewbaccah is offline Find More Posts by chewbaccah
Old Aug 13, 2011, 12:07 PM
Joined Jan 2011
98 Posts
I would like to test it myself but I can't restore my Turnigy.hex backup...
EEPROM ERROR at start... I did not save eeprom from Turnigy FW...
Old Aug 13, 2011, 02:08 PM
Joined Jul 2011
112 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by con244 View Post
Hi All
I too am having a problem with ER9x and a simulator. I use Clearview and cannot seem to get it to calibrate the new tx. I have used Clearview with my Hitec Optic 6 Sport with no problems but although the sim sees the transmitter the mapping is crazy and it will not calibrate (every axis is scrambled and jittery). Has anyone been able to get ER9x working with Clearview? I can't find any details on the resistor mod mention above. I have searched under "resistor mod" with little success. Will this help me with my problem?
Thanks in Advance
Con
here's a link to a video on the resistor mode you need to do. I had to do it to use clearview
Hobby King Turnigy 9X Trainer Function and Simulator Modification Fix Resolution DIY (10 min 21 sec)
preston91 is offline Find More Posts by preston91
Old Aug 13, 2011, 02:18 PM
Flying a Chipmunk in Portugal
NRW, Germany
Joined Sep 2010
3,362 Posts
I had problems with 9x and aerofly until today.. it was all over the place.. so, just created a normal 4 channel model, and the trick is to reduce the number of channels output for that model.. Reduced it to 4 channel PPM output on the model settings menu and now works fine.. I think I could put it up to 6 channels without problems..

Joćo
jhsa is offline Find More Posts by jhsa
Last edited by jhsa; Aug 13, 2011 at 02:31 PM.
Old Aug 13, 2011, 04:25 PM
France, Ile-de-France, Plaisir
Joined Sep 2010
461 Posts
Fail-safe or not fail-safe?

Here is what I found, using an oscilloscope, when the signal is lost:

With the Turnigy 9X8Cv2 receiver, on channels 4 and 5 the pulse is maintained at its previous value (HOLD mode), signal disappears (0 volts) from other channels (1, 2, 3, 6, 7, 8).

With HobbyKing HK-TR6A V2 receiver, channels 4 and 5 stay in HOLD mode, signal disappears from other channels (1, 2, 3, 6).

With HobbyKing HK-GT2R receiver, with the CH2 fail-safe disabled, signal disappears from the three channels.

So, if an ESC is used on channel 3, it will cut off in case of signal's loss.

If you use an external fail-safe, like this one, it will never work on channels 4 or 5.

Note that I found only the FlySky 3-channel receiver has an integrated fail-safe feature, not enabled by default. And if you enable it, it will be lost to the next re-bind (this is the only way to disable fail-safe).
jpparisy is offline Find More Posts by jpparisy
Old Aug 13, 2011, 05:15 PM
Poole, England
Joined Mar 2008
1,349 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by showmaster View Post
I couldn't be happier.
I had good test flights yesterday with the FrSky hub. I had displays of battery voltage, battery temperature, RPM, Rx RSSI and Tx RSSI. I added the A1 voltage to the hub display screen. I'm still working on what to display, what should be configurable, and whether anything needs an alarm. If anything does need an alarm, how do we set it, and where do we store the alarm value, preferably without changing the EEPROM structure.

Mike.
Mike Blandford is offline Find More Posts by Mike Blandford