HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 18, 2011, 04:17 PM
United States, NJ
Joined Jun 2004
1,746 Posts
captaingeek, bricking is harder to do than you might think. I've been playing with these MCUs for a while now and I think I have a fair knowledge of their working. Bricking them will only occur if you deliberately set fuses to a problematic value. Granted, some programs make it too easy to screw these up but that's why it's best to either use a command line or eepe.

leifster,
Dumb question. Did you connect your board to a USB port? Did you install the driver?
erazz is offline Find More Posts by erazz
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 18, 2011, 06:43 PM
no pain, no pain
Brazil, PR, Curitiba
Joined Dec 2006
175 Posts
try to install the latest usbasp drivers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by leifster View Post
I've just installed my smartieparts board and have some questions regarding the flashing with eepe.

In the quickstart section (http://code.google.com/p/eepe/) it says "Set the programmer name, port and the relevant arguments."
Which settings should I use?

If I use the default "usbasp" programmer and "usb" port and then try to read the memory of the transmitter I get the following error message:

Code:
=================================================================================
Started AVRDUDE
C:/Program Files (x86)/eePe/avrdude.exe -c usbasp -p m64 -P usb -U eeprom:r:D:/Turnigy/ER9X/default.bin:r
=================================================================================
avrdude.exe: error: could not find USB device "USBasp" with vid=0x16c0 pid=0x5dc

AVRDUDE done - exit code 1
What does this error mean?
marcioh is offline Find More Posts by marcioh
Old Feb 18, 2011, 09:15 PM
USA, SE Wisconsin
Joined May 2009
2,375 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by captaingeek View Post
whats an eepe?
eepe is the program used to program the custom firmware in the radio. It is also used as a simulator for model setups.

I know the threads are overwhelming but asking more specific questions will usually get better answers. There has been a lot of repeated questions over time.

Did you read through the stock manual for the radio yet?
crucial is offline Find More Posts by crucial
Old Feb 18, 2011, 09:44 PM
Naperville, IL
Joined Mar 2009
832 Posts
Eepe

http://code.google.com/p/eepe
gohsthb is offline Find More Posts by gohsthb
Old Feb 19, 2011, 01:48 AM
All mouth and no trousers
Southern England
Joined Jul 2005
180 Posts
Quote:
I've just installed my smartieparts board and have some questions regarding the flashing with eepe.

In the quickstart section (http://code.google.com/p/eepe/) it says "Set the programmer name, port and the relevant arguments."
Which settings should I use?

If I use the default "usbasp" programmer and "usb" port and then try to read the memory of the transmitter I get the following error message:

Code:
================================================== ===============================
Started AVRDUDE
C:/Program Files (x86)/eePe/avrdude.exe -c usbasp -p m64 -P usb -U eeprom:r:/Turnigy/ER9X/default.bin:r
================================================== ===============================
avrdude.exe: error: could not find USB device "USBasp" with vid=0x16c0 pid=0x5dc

AVRDUDE done - exit code 1
What does this error mean?
If the post above didn't help and my interpretation of the error message is right then you might want to try this driver for 64 bit systems.
I had the same problem including trying to find a signed driver, the one below is and suitable for Vista/Win7.

Also the latest driver I found for 32bit windows also didn't work, I ended up reverting to a 2006 driver to fix that system (can't remember where from I'm afraid)

http://code.google.com/p/er9x/downlo...o.zip&can=2&q=
FE Obsessed is offline Find More Posts by FE Obsessed
Last edited by FE Obsessed; Feb 19, 2011 at 01:51 AM. Reason: Inaccurate
Old Feb 19, 2011, 01:57 AM
Registered Loser
Canada, BC, Central Okanagan H
Joined Jun 2010
3,251 Posts
For Win 32-bit, the official drivers are the ones to use

Incidentally... I decided to Google some more and I see that LibUSB has updated their drivers and they reportedly work fine with Win 64, which means we now have "official" USBasp drivers for all Windows version. The installation of them isn't entirely straightforward, but its not too bad.

First, go to this page: http://sourceforge.net/projects/libu...in32-releases/
Click on the latest release (at this moment, it is 1.2.2.0)
You'll probably see 4 files in there... you want the zipped package (eg. libusb-win32-bin-1.2.2.0.zip)
Download and unzip that onto your computer somewhere and go to the unzipped folder.
[at this point make sure your USBasp programmer (smartieparts programmer if that's what you're using) is plugged into your computer!]
Inside the "bin" folder, run inf-wizard.exe. It'll ask you to choose your usbasp programmer from the list.
Click Next a couple times (not changing any settings) and it asks you to save an inf file somewhere. It really doesn't matter where
Once saved, there's a convenient button that says "Install Now" and it does its magic.

You'll have to OK a few windows and warnings but otherwise its pretty automagic.

This SHOULD work on all versions of Windows but I haven't tested it on anything but my system, which is Win 7 32-bit.

- Steven
s_mack is offline Find More Posts by s_mack
Last edited by s_mack; Feb 19, 2011 at 02:20 AM.
Old Feb 19, 2011, 02:57 AM
Joined Dec 2010
37 Posts
Yes, the driver was missing... I was a bit quick in reading the manual. All that stuff about various AVR programmers and supporting SW and then at the end "oh, but with eepe it is all so much easier" led me think I could skip the sections above.
And besides it doesn't really say which programmer the smartieparts board is using?
Still I'm unsure what programmer to select in eepe, but I assme it's the usbasp since no one corrected me there and I appear to be able to read the radio.

But when I try to flash I have another problem which doesn't look to be covered in the troubleshooting section. The flasher says:

Code:
avrdude.exe: Device signature = 0x1e9602
avrdude.exe: reading input file "D:/Turnigy/ER9X/er9x.hex"
avrdude.exe: ERROR: address 0x0810 out of range at line 129 of D:/Turnigy/ER9X/er9x.hex
avrdude.exe: write to file "D:/Turnigy/ER9X/er9x.hex" failed
How can I fix this?
leifster is offline Find More Posts by leifster
Old Feb 19, 2011, 04:28 AM
I don't speak German ....Yet !
Germany, Baden-Württemberg, Weissach im Tal
Joined Dec 2010
774 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by s_mack View Post
For Win 32-bit, the official drivers are the ones to use

Incidentally... I decided to Google some more and I see that LibUSB has updated their drivers and they reportedly work fine with Win 64, which means we now have "official" USBasp drivers for all Windows version. The installation of them isn't entirely straightforward, but its not too bad.
This SHOULD work on all versions of Windows but I haven't tested it on anything but my system, which is Win 7 32-bit.

- Steven
Or use a Mac no "extra" driver needed, it just works (I'm so gonna get slammed for this comment)

@leifster
are you using the correct selections for programming ? See here, the hex file should be firmware so the buttons on the right.
GrootWitBaas is offline Find More Posts by GrootWitBaas
Old Feb 19, 2011, 05:32 AM
Joined Dec 2010
37 Posts
GrootWitBaas, you are right. I used the wrong selection.
I have managed to flash it now. Thanks for all the help.
leifster is offline Find More Posts by leifster
Old Feb 19, 2011, 09:03 AM
United States, NJ
Joined Jun 2004
1,746 Posts
Excellent. Now you can start to see the real potential of the radio

Groot, you're not gonne get slammed. Did you know that MAC is actually classified as a UNIX OS? These things are so much simpler in Linux/Unix. Kind of makes you wonder why ppl use Windows.
erazz is offline Find More Posts by erazz
Old Feb 19, 2011, 09:19 AM
I don't want to "Switch Now"
Toronto (Don Mills), Canada
Joined Dec 2002
16,711 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by erazz View Post
Excellent. Now you can start to see the real potential of the radio

Groot, you're not gonne get slammed. Did you know that MAC is actually classified as a UNIX OS? These things are so much simpler in Linux/Unix. Kind of makes you wonder why ppl use Windows.
The desktop in my shop cost less than $300. Added a $60 video card and it can run any CAM,CAD,flight sim program I have tried in it.
It has a real serial port.
Tons of freeware,shareware and -ahem- sort of free programs are widely available. Every R/C device that has a USB dongle works on it. (Castle Link,Spartan,Hacker,Hextronic, for example)

And of course eepe runs perfectly on it ( Other than the minor problem that the auto updater only works if you put the exe in a folder with no spaces in the path)

About the only things MACs have going for them is that they can also boot up into windows

Pat MacKenzie
pmackenzie is offline Find More Posts by pmackenzie
Old Feb 19, 2011, 09:46 AM
Naperville, IL
Joined Mar 2009
832 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmackenzie View Post

About the only things MACs have going for them is that they can also boot up into windows
Even in Linux. I run Micro$oft windows as a program under Virtualbox. Or you could set up a dual-boot and choose which you want when you start your computer.

People seem to think windows is easier to use. And yes it is, until something goes wrong and the error message is something like "Error: 0x0032147838dnbdfvl" Then the people say, Huh?
gohsthb is offline Find More Posts by gohsthb
Old Feb 19, 2011, 12:54 PM
Registered Loser
Joined Jun 2010
3,251 Posts
Computers have gotten interesting. Which one is right really depends on what you're doing with it and how good you are at figuring things out. And its no longer as simple as saying, "if you're a computer dummy use this" etc.

Take Linux as an example. In the past, that was reserved only for the uber-geek really. In many ways, it still is. But if you're a super computer-dummy and you can barely click... what's the best tool for you? A fool-proof Internet appliance that runs on - you guessed it - Linux.

Macs, in general, are better for the computer-dummy crowd because it makes very simple tasks... well... very simple. They're also very good for industry-specific professionals (do you know any graphic artists, sound professionals, or publishers that don't use a Mac?).

But let's be real. I still think that the VAST majority of casual to advanced computer users out there, especially in the business world, belong on a PC.

OK, now I'm gonna get slammed

Leifster - When I get some time I'm going to improve my website because you pointed out some glaring deficiencies (nothing actually says its a USBasp). I'm glad you got it working.

- Steven
Old Feb 19, 2011, 01:44 PM
Cumbria in the U.K
Joined Jan 2008
1,927 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewju View Post
captaingeek, check this post - it gives a basic overview and some additional links to study, if you feel interested: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...27&postcount=1
(I know, I know - there are 300+ more pages coming afterward...)
I started at page 1 and got to the end...... phew!
It was worth it though as I now have the firmware installed and it was perfectly trouble free.

I have got to page 55 on a post on another group and the total is over 600.... I guess i need to keep going !
sparklet is offline Find More Posts by sparklet
Old Feb 19, 2011, 02:14 PM
Registered Loser
Joined Jun 2010
3,251 Posts
Its too bad nobody's ever come up with a forum with some artificial intelligence where it automatically gleans new/important posts and highlights them so useless posts (like this one) can just be skimmed over.