SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jun 28, 2010, 02:16 PM
Joined Aug 2008
7 Posts
I am having problems trying to flash my 9x. When I connect the radio to the PC via this basic AVR the radio will not power up. The radio is fine if not connected to the PC though. Any suggestions on what to check for problems? Or is there a reason I can't use this AVR?

Thanks
Dale

Edit:
I have now been able to get the radio to power on by using a DAPA interface schematic. http://my.opera.com/CrazyTerabyte/bl...troller-part-2 It still will not flash though, but at least the screen blanks then returns as described when trying to flash.
Still awaiting my usbtiny interface delivery as the long term solution.
Dale3701 is offline Find More Posts by Dale3701
Last edited by Dale3701; Jul 02, 2010 at 01:22 PM. Reason: more info
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 28, 2010, 02:36 PM
USA, SE Wisconsin
Joined May 2009
2,375 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale3701 View Post
I am having problems trying to flash my 9x. When I connect the radio to the PC via this basic AVR the radio will not power up. The radio is fine if not connected to the PC though. Any suggestions on what to check for problems? Or is there a reason I can't use this AVR?

Thanks
Dale
That programmer says it is for an atmega 128. Our chip is an atmega64.

Edit:
Further reading in the comments shows that it will work with all AVR micro controllers that support ISP programming interface.

Can you post a pic of your wiring to the chip? Next guess would be something is wired wrong.
crucial is offline Find More Posts by crucial
Old Jun 28, 2010, 02:49 PM
Heli Humbled Daily
Riverside, CA
Joined Jul 2006
2,973 Posts
are shorting something to ground, and are likely to ruin the chip if not careful.
Telemachus is offline Find More Posts by Telemachus
Old Jun 28, 2010, 04:34 PM
United States, NY, Shirley
Joined Oct 2008
2,015 Posts
I had my wiring wrong and with crucials help was able to correct it. Although mine powered up but I was just not able to flash it. I ended up buying a USB programmer and with the wiring correct it flashed.

I'm not an expert on AVR programming but where is your programmer getting it's power from? As far as I know all the serial programmers that have been used for this need 5V+ from the radio.
reacher10 is online now Find More Posts by reacher10
Last edited by reacher10; Jun 28, 2010 at 04:47 PM.
Old Jun 28, 2010, 04:57 PM
Northern Alabama, USA
Joined Apr 2003
684 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by reacher10 View Post
Have you noticed the dead band at the end of the sticks?
Just checked, and yes. The Hitec Aurora 9 has the same issue on some transmitters. Mine had it. Hitec added some trim pots to fix the issue. Since the original Turnigy firmware doesn't have it, Thus can probably fix it in firmware. This website explains the issue on the Aurora, and I'm betting it is a similar issue here.

http://www.rcmodelreviews.com/aurora9issues.shtml

My V1 9x had the problem with the original Turnigy firmware, but I fixed the problem by twisting the locating tab on the pots slightly. If I had known at the time how to recalibrate the sticks with the original firmware, I might have been able to fix the problem that way.
jonlowe is offline Find More Posts by jonlowe
Old Jun 28, 2010, 05:19 PM
Joined Oct 2008
2,015 Posts
The stick problem only appeared after I installed Thus FW.

I posted the 2 problems we're having with trims and sticks in 2 places:

http://www.rclineforum.de/forum/thre...27#post3547227

and here

http://code.google.com/p/th9x/issues...&ts=1277758437

I hope we can get these things fixed.

Crucial, when you reinstalled the original FW you didn't happen to notice if the dead band went away, did you?
Last edited by reacher10; Jun 28, 2010 at 05:36 PM.
Old Jun 28, 2010, 05:34 PM
Joined Jun 2010
2 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale3701 View Post

Thanks
Dale
I have had problems with my Eurgle-Transmitter, too. The problem was that my prog-interface did not get any 5V-power from my computer. So i connected the 5V inside the transmitter by using the big AVCC-pad, and that works. I have always to switch on my transmitter to program, but i have added a jack to program the chip without opening the transmitter ...
Killozap is offline Find More Posts by Killozap
Old Jun 28, 2010, 05:40 PM
Joined Jun 2010
2 Posts
I have added some more issues to the official site. These are:

Have you ever tried to use the minus-key when using switches? The switches can be negated, then the switches have a reading like !RUD, but they do not function as suspected.

Some additions will be cool, the maximum amount of mixers (20) is not big enough for big sailplanes with four flaps.
Killozap is offline Find More Posts by Killozap
Old Jun 28, 2010, 05:48 PM
Joined Oct 2008
2,015 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Killozap View Post
I have added some more issues to the official site. These are:

Have you ever tried to use the minus-key when using switches? The switches can be negated, then the switches have a reading like !RUD, but they do not function as suspected.

Some additions will be cool, the maximum amount of mixers (20) is not big enough for big sailplanes with four flaps.
I've also noticed that switch settings with the ! (ELE!) don't work as they are designed which is to reverse the switch. I think I've gotten it to work once but I'm really not sure but they should just work as programmed. I suspected it was somthing I was doing wrong but now I think it's a bug also.
Last edited by reacher10; Jun 28, 2010 at 05:54 PM.
Old Jun 28, 2010, 06:08 PM
TH9X Firmware: Thus NG
Joined Mar 2010
159 Posts
Quote:

Promix it looks like you're our man!
uups...hope you are not expecting too much. I am only a happy user of the Thus FW like you or all other guys here and was beginning as a noob with all this stuff some month ago.
The only advantage I have is that I can read and write the German languarge and have some professional electronic skills.

The 2 issues you are mentioned above are already under investigation by Thomas and Josef I guess.
I learned that it was first intentional to have it this way, but Josef now added some setting options in the limit menue page.
It`s not finished yet so we have to be a little patience.

I was playing around a little bit with V14 and Thus and now I see how the dead band looks like and interact with the trim. But with V14 I also have some dead band with some trim settings and it is even not perfect.

I am sure, they have a lot of workload with all these minor and major bugs and wishes, and doing all this things in there spare time.
And for us it`s all for free.

Why to be patience ?
We have some disadvantages:

- we have summertime
- We have holidays
- we have soccer World championship
- we have.... better to waste some time sitting in the pool and have cool drinks rather than to fix the damn bugs
Promix is offline Find More Posts by Promix
Last edited by Promix; Jun 28, 2010 at 06:29 PM.
Old Jun 28, 2010, 08:22 PM
USA, SE Wisconsin
Joined May 2009
2,375 Posts
I started playing around with the trim settings a little more and i think I figured out what is causing it.

First, it appears that after centering the control surface and setting the base trim you lose some movement at one of the ends of that channel. When you move a stick and the display follows, if the display reaches the end of the line and there is still stick movement available it stops sending the signal to the servo to keep moving. If you extend the endpoint in menu "LIMITS 7/7" to 125 you extend the reach of the display and also what is sent to the servo regaining that lost movement. What this is telling me is that when moving the base trim setting you are moving the entire range of the movement bar left or right. This cuts off the signal to the servo at the end that "falls off the end of the display"

In testing, I tried setting all trims to neutral and then adjusting the LIMITS of a channel and it doesn't extend the travel of the servo. You have to change both the LIMIT setting and the PRC setting in the MIXER to actually extend the endpoints.

After all this I was able to setup my ELEVON mix and have full range of motion in both surfaces with even movement between both. I will explain how this was done.
1. Setup the mixes to enable elevons.
CH1 100% AIL
100% ELE
CH2 100% ELE
-100% AIL
2. Set the LIMIT settings for those 2 channels to 125
3. move the trims for those channels around until my servos were both centered
4. Set those trims as the base trim, adjusted my linkage to center the surfaces and tested for proper movement.

This also resulted in no dead spots at the end of the stick movement because I had extended the LIMIT setting to 125 for each. Effectively extending the dead zone.

This works differently than I am used to but it ultimately seems to be working ok.
Old Jun 28, 2010, 08:36 PM
USA, SE Wisconsin
Joined May 2009
2,375 Posts
The main thing that makes this difficult is that the moving of the "bar" or range of movement is that it effects whatever you are mixing with that channel. For example, if I center my Elevator servo using the base trim setting and then mix the ELE to the AIL it moves the Aileron servo the amount that the ELE base trim is set.

This seems counter-intuitive and contrary to how most other radios I have used work.
Old Jun 28, 2010, 10:14 PM
Joined Oct 2008
2,015 Posts
I just tried it with a new blank model and still have the dead spots.

We put the feelers out so it's a wait and see situation.

Edit: Got a responce over here: http://code.google.com/p/th9x/issues/detail?id=23

"Check in Analog diagnose (ANA 6/7) the second and third column behind A1-A4.
In Column 2 you see the raw values of the analog inputs. Check if they are very assymetric. Normally the value in the middle is near 0x200.
Then check the third column. Ideally the value goes from -100 to +100.
But If the range is very assymetric, then one value reaches the +-100 but the other value gets larger than 100.
Trims do not work with curves, see issue 19"

The plot thickens
Last edited by reacher10; Jun 28, 2010 at 10:21 PM.
Old Jun 28, 2010, 10:35 PM
Joined Oct 2008
2,015 Posts
Killozap, Thanks for the responce over in the German forum. At least we have some lines of communication open now. I did a quick check of limiting the mix to less then 100%, dead spot is the same.

Hittin the hay.
Old Jun 28, 2010, 10:42 PM
USA, SE Wisconsin
Joined May 2009
2,375 Posts
Quote:
I just tried it with a new blank model and still have the dead spots.

We put the feelers out so it's a wait and see situation.

Edit: Got a responce over here: http://code.google.com/p/th9x/issues/detail?id=23

"Check in Analog diagnose (ANA 6/7) the second and third column behind A1-A4.
In Column 2 you see the raw values of the analog inputs. Check if they are very assymetric. Normally the value in the middle is near 0x200.
Then check the third column. Ideally the value goes from -100 to +100.
But If the range is very assymetric, then one value reaches the +-100 but the other value gets larger than 100.
Trims do not work with curves, see issue 19"

The plot thickens
My pot values are
-110 100
-102 100
-110 100
-106 103

What were your's after calibration?

Also are you getting the dead spots with the trim and base trim values at 0 and on all sticks? If you are then this is a separate issue from what I described above.