HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 31, 2012, 01:16 AM
Czech Republic, Olomouc
Joined Sep 2010
576 Posts
Do you know what fuses are in eePe software? I ever did not use it. Do you think is it useful?
Is it safe?
pavn is offline Find More Posts by pavn
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 31, 2012, 02:03 AM
Slovenia, Ljubljana
Joined Sep 2011
1,500 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pavn View Post
Do you know what fuses are in eePe software? I ever did not use it. Do you think is it useful?
Is it safe?
In eepe you can set fuses to protect eeprom. Or reset fuses to erase eeprom when flashing new version of er9x.
er9xuser is offline Find More Posts by er9xuser
Old Jul 31, 2012, 08:05 AM
Naperville, IL
Joined Mar 2009
832 Posts
Programming fuses from eepe is safe. Just select which option you want. Erase all of you models when you flash new firmware, or keep them when you flash.
With either one of my smartieparts boards. I have about 30 seconds to start a programming operation or it will fail with a strange error. (target doesn't answer, something timed out, whatever) I think it has something to do with the usbasp software, it just doesn't seem to like sitting idle. My answer has always been to wait until I was ready to read or write to the Tx and then plug it in. Recently I did have to clean the contacts for one of my boards, but it has been installed for > 1 year, so that is ok.
-Gohst
gohsthb is offline Find More Posts by gohsthb
Old Jul 31, 2012, 09:11 AM
Registered Loser
Canada, BC, Central Okanagan H
Joined Jun 2010
3,251 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gohsthb View Post
I have about 30 seconds to start a programming operation or it will fail with a strange error. (target doesn't answer, something timed out, whatever) I think it has something to do with the usbasp software, it just doesn't seem to like sitting idle.
Hmm... I wonder if you're on to something! I believe I had that USBasp plugged in for hours as I was making changes to the radio. I thought I buggered something up on the pcb! But then simply unplugging/plugging it fixed it up. If it happens with both the SmartieParts board and a generic USBasp, then the only two possibilities (besides coincidence) are: some change in the eePe software (this really only if yours, gohst, was unrelated to the mine and the other recently reported one... I mention it because of the odd timing of his and mine); as you say, something with the USBasp firmware.

- Steven
s_mack is online now Find More Posts by s_mack
Old Aug 02, 2012, 12:40 PM
Rookie
Australia, VIC
Joined Jun 2011
1,460 Posts
Been using er9x for about a week now and loving it
Getting very comfortable with the navigation and setup now
Have setup 2 models with a heap of mixes, all working perfectly!

I had a few questions;
When I open eePe after a while, there is usually a new .hex file available
I usually download this to the default folder and save it over the old .hex file
If I am not mistaken this is an updated version of the er9x software?

If I load this software onto the transmitter my settings will be lost right?
How do I go about saving my settings then uploading the new .hex file then loading my settings again?
Or is it not necessary to load the new .hex file?

Also I am wanting to load a custom splash screen, which I have picked out
Followed the instructions up to the part where you save it on to the .hex file
Done that, saved it to the new .hex file I just downloaded when I opened eePe..
But that brings me back to my first set of questions;
Loading this .hex file to load my splash screen will wipe my settings right?
planex is online now Find More Posts by planex
Old Aug 02, 2012, 03:50 PM
Poole, England
Joined Mar 2008
1,389 Posts
Several ways.
In the Burn menu there is an option:
Read EEPROM Memory to file
This fetches your settings and stores them on you PC.
Then you have:
Write EEPROM Memory from file
This puts your settings back.

You also have:
Read memory from Tx, and
Write Memory to Tx.
This are similar, but instead of using a file, your settings are are kept in the program where you can alter them.

Also in the Burn menu you have:
Set Fuses to protect EEPROM
If you use this, then flashing a new program will not lose your current settings, although it is often recommended that you should save your settings to a file anyway.

Mike.
Mike Blandford is offline Find More Posts by Mike Blandford
Old Aug 02, 2012, 03:50 PM
Joined Jul 2009
648 Posts
eePe has a function that protects the content of the eeprom when flashing the firmware.

With the default settings of the fuses ( a kind of permanent switches within the ATMega chip), the EEPROM is cleared when the firmware is flashed. So you have to rewrite the EEPROM with your setup (models) after every flashing with firmware.

The eePe function "Set fuses to protect EEPROM" modifies the fuses in the ATMega chip so that flashing the chip with a new firmware does not touch the EEPROM. The EEPROM is protected.

But with the function "Write EEPROM memory from file" you can rewrite the EEPROM at any time, even when it is protected.

Reinhard
ReSt is offline Find More Posts by ReSt
Old Aug 02, 2012, 06:58 PM
I don't want to "Switch Now"
Toronto (Don Mills), Canada
Joined Dec 2002
16,676 Posts
I wonder if eePe could have a single commend to read the eeprom, flash the code, then re-write the eeprom?
It would save some mouse clicks.

Pat MacKenzie
pmackenzie is online now Find More Posts by pmackenzie
Old Aug 02, 2012, 09:36 PM
Naperville, IL
Joined Mar 2009
832 Posts
Check out companion 9x, I believe I heard it has this feature.
-gohst
gohsthb is offline Find More Posts by gohsthb
Old Aug 02, 2012, 10:04 PM
Australia, VIC, Hampton Park
Joined Feb 2011
622 Posts
By ticking the box in C9x it will do just that... Save eeprom. flash FW, re-write eeprom...
Fugbucker is online now Find More Posts by Fugbucker
Old Aug 02, 2012, 10:48 PM
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Aug 2006
1,843 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by reacher10 View Post
Yeah I already tried plugging things in one at a time with no change, did that a while ago.

I spoke to Erazz on the phone and eepe will set my fuses to what they should be...here goes!!!!

EDIT: IT WORKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It was the fuses!!! Somehow they got reset way back. When the screen 1st went blank after a simple eeprom DL I decided to try the 1mhz oscillator. I don't know if it needed the oscillator or if thats what revived it with the wrong fuse settings or what but it is among the living!!!! YES!!!!!
I'm trying to revive what may be a bricked M64 for a friend. My first one if it is? No wiring errors or shorts were made to the board and it did work.
I have the 1 mhz osc (5v ptp) on pin 24 and a working HK USBasp programmer that works on my 9x. I still get the error message that eepe/avrdude can't talk to the target. The wiring is correct and the board is disconnected from the 9x. I can't read the fuse setting either. Any ideas on what to do next? a new m64 may be in the future if he can afford it. I'm doing this as a favor and to learn more about it so I can use and help I can get for things/programs to try.
His 9x worked but we think his ? programmer may have failed during a second flash and trashed the M64?
Anyone have a good source or an extra M64 in case it comes to that?
Thanks for any help you can provide.
ShowMaster
showmaster is offline Find More Posts by showmaster
Old Aug 03, 2012, 12:32 AM
United States, DE, Newark
Joined May 2011
345 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by showmaster View Post
http://www.mouser.com/Search/Refine....d=atmega64a-au
iksbob is offline Find More Posts by iksbob
Old Aug 03, 2012, 03:20 AM
Australia, WA, Kalgoorlie
Joined Apr 2011
1,405 Posts
Er9x and Eagle Tree Guardian 2D/3D: Setup for Stabilisation Mode and Gain

I’m a total noob at both er9x and the Eagle tree Guardian flight stabilisation system, and spent a bit of time scratching my head to get the Guardian’s flight mode switch set up on the ID0-2 three position switch.

The solution, it seems, is the switch order. To do the “Level flight and trims” setup as well as the TX based programming of the Guardian, the switch needs to move from -100 through 0 to +100, or vice versa. Any other order and it would stubbornly refuse to cooperate!

The method listed below has 2D mode on ID0 (switch upwards), then OFF on ID1 (switch centre), then 3D mode on ID2 (switch downward). You can set it up the other way around of course by swapping the +100/-100 values on ID0 and 2.

I set up remote/master gain on P2. This way when the Pot is centred or at 0 value, master gain will be at 50%, zero gain will be at -100, and 100% gain will be at +100. This means that at Pot centre you will have 50% of whatever values you set up on the Roll/Pitch/Yaw gain dials on the Guardian unit.

I set mine up on CH7 and 8, but any open channels will do.

CH O7 -100%HALF Switch (ID0)
+0%HALF Switch (ID1)
+100%HALF Switch (ID2)
CH 08 +100%P2

Now for most of you this would have been childs play to do, but I’m posting it anyway as I’m sure that somewhere out there, another “technodunce” like myself probably won’t mind skipping the hour’s worth of frustration I just went through

Odd
wizard of odd is offline Find More Posts by wizard of odd
Last edited by wizard of odd; Aug 03, 2012 at 03:28 AM.
Old Aug 03, 2012, 07:49 AM
Registered Loser
Canada, BC, Central Okanagan H
Joined Jun 2010
3,251 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by showmaster View Post
I've still got M128s back from when we thought there might be a possibility of using the extra memory it provides. Without firmware support (which will never happen - its not worthwhile) you don't get to take advantage of the extra stuff, but there's no harm in using it - it is a drop in replacement with the existing firmware.

- Steven
s_mack is online now Find More Posts by s_mack
Old Aug 03, 2012, 11:01 AM
Rookie
Australia, VIC
Joined Jun 2011
1,460 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReSt View Post
eePe has a function that protects the content of the eeprom when flashing the firmware.

With the default settings of the fuses ( a kind of permanent switches within the ATMega chip), the EEPROM is cleared when the firmware is flashed. So you have to rewrite the EEPROM with your setup (models) after every flashing with firmware.

The eePe function "Set fuses to protect EEPROM" modifies the fuses in the ATMega chip so that flashing the chip with a new firmware does not touch the EEPROM. The EEPROM is protected.

But with the function "Write EEPROM memory from file" you can rewrite the EEPROM at any time, even when it is protected.

Reinhard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Blandford View Post
Several ways.
In the Burn menu there is an option:
Read EEPROM Memory to file
This fetches your settings and stores them on you PC.
Then you have:
Write EEPROM Memory from file
This puts your settings back.

You also have:
Read memory from Tx, and
Write Memory to Tx.
This are similar, but instead of using a file, your settings are are kept in the program where you can alter them.

Also in the Burn menu you have:
Set Fuses to protect EEPROM
If you use this, then flashing a new program will not lose your current settings, although it is often recommended that you should save your settings to a file anyway.

Mike.
Thank you both very much
I did both - Read/write from memory/file & set fuses to protect EEPROM
Both worked perfectly!
I did the file option for peace of mind but the fuses option works great
planex is online now Find More Posts by planex