IHAVAWDY is offline Find More Posts by IHAVAWDY
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 29, 2012, 11:28 PM
IT'S NOSE HEAVY!!!!!!!
United States, CA, San Jose
Joined Mar 2012
3,007 Posts
sigh/grrr/?!?!?

I put a small $300 deposit on an old Toyota Corolla off craigslist last week, felt 100% "positive energy" from her and the car was nice and she had stacks of paperwork from the one single mechanic she's ever seen...she said she needed it exactly nine more days before she moved. I totally thought I got her phone number, but didn't (insert forehead smack here) and of course, the emails are going through Craigslist...which she is likely deleting since she was relieved to not have to deal with more CL people since I truly was going to buy her car.

I'm an idiot because I've only been to "her house" and don't have her phone # or email...I suck...

Hopefully she'll actually call my cell tomorrow.
Or maybe her "nine days" was less literal and meant more along the lines of "end of the month"....

Did I mention yet that I suck?!
cityevader is offline Find More Posts by cityevader
Old Dec 30, 2012, 12:02 AM
IT'S NOSE HEAVY!!!!!!!
Joined Mar 2012
3,007 Posts
I wish I was confrontational.

I'm the type who has a "confrontation" and only a half day later come to my senses to know what I should have said/done...in the actual line of fire I'm a useless dud... and I admit freely to my weaknesses...

So...I have my 2 year old this weekend, and after the morning rains, leisurely stroll, lunch, nap, etc...I decided to head to another park -local Rancho San Antonio- to see the sights. It's a local multi-purpose hiking/biking/open space park that graciously allows us to fly. Granted, it's been recently very restricted compared to no-rules before, but there were still three guys flying.

So the "large-60-ish"-wooden-3D electric plane with a good 12" prop lands...

(There's a "fence" consisting of a split-wood-rail about 20" off the ground to serve as a dividing line between the "pits" and row of spectator benches butting against the bumpers of the 40 or so cars of the parking lot.)

...so after landing, he taxis through the flight line and through the ONE SINGLE OPENING in the fence and into the parking lot area and turns directly towards me and my boy. His entire line of sight towards me is blocked by the new sign stating the new rules, so he can't even see me and my boy sitting on one one the benches.
He stops 3 or 4' away and "shuts down". As he walks towards his car right behind me he's holding his transmitter by the handle and the plane's control surfaces are twitching wildly. My initially-raised feet to avoid the spinning prop then dug into the earth as I twisted my body to shield my little boy whilst scooping him up and noodling between cars. (I once had a friend with finger/prop damage so my reaction was to flee and not to fight).

I was in utter useless shock as he threw his plane and transmitter into the car and left.

I wish wish wish wish wish I was confrontational... I wouldn't have verbally ripped him a new a..hole, it would have been a literal, actual, brand new a..hole.
Old Dec 30, 2012, 12:02 AM
IT'S NOSE HEAVY!!!!!!!
Joined Mar 2012
3,007 Posts
just not my day, huh?
Old Dec 30, 2012, 02:39 AM
Egads! It's a GIRL!
Joined Jul 2011
3,324 Posts
Nope, not your day. Should'a gone to Baylands for the comedy routine there. I wanted to try out that stabilizer, but bought the wrong adapters. Then I decided I wanted to fly anyways, and sloshed through the flooded field to the other side, and slogged across, dragging out the hi-start. Then I assemble and plug in the Gentle Lady, and the battery watch/lost plane alarm counts out three volts, and then starts ringing like a telephone. Low batt. Great.

So I set the plane on a table, walk back to the truck, put the batt on the charger, and grabbed the Radian. (I came up with a name for it. I always find myself saying "well, lets use plan B", so I'm naming it "Plan B". So I fire it up and get a nice launch, just as the clouds move in and the lift gradually dies. After a couple climb, settle, climb cycles, I get a phone call that I was expecting yesterday, and had to take. Glad I use the neck strap-- I hold the Tx in the right hand and fly the plane down to a beautiful grease landing, while discussing legal and income issues with the phone in the left hand. (Bad time for all this stuff that's been going on to happen, right at the beginning of a new job, with too many half weeks for the holidays.)

After ending the call, and waiting for a large 3D plane to come in and land, I bring the Radian back to the tables, fetch my battery (and field another phone call. Sigh.), and slog across the marsh again to launch the Gentle Lady. There was absolutely NO wind at all so far, but once I get to about 300-400 feet, I start getting some interesting, confused stuff. Nothing strong, just weird. First launch good, found a bit of sink, but failed to find the matching lift, so I marched back to the chute to try again. After the big, red 3D lands, of course. The second launch went well, until the chute fails to slip off the hook. I have never had this happen before. EVER. I hollered to the regular flight line that I was stuck, and to keep away, and I circled, spun, dove and twisted, trying to get loose. 50' to go and I gave up, and just spun in, emergency dive style, to land. 6" off the grass the chute comes off. D'oh! Probably the drag from the grass paddy. Sploosh, sploosh, sploosh, across I go. Again. I fetch the plane, and marsh march back to the flight line, where I ditch plane and Tx with friends.

By the time I get there, a breeze comes up. By the time I get back to the hi-start to feel it in, it's blowing almost 30 MPH. This is where I'm thinking how LUCKY I was, unballasted, to get stuck on the line and be forced to come down. Now I'm wondering why I really got stuck. As I was leaving, I watched a Hobby King foamy of some sort fighting it out, and get blown across the freeway downwind of the field, and make an amazing recovery. He went on for another five minutes before packing up. Nutso!

I now have he proper connectors, so I'll be trying again tomorrow, this time at a better field.
Lil Stinkpot is offline Find More Posts by Lil Stinkpot
Old Dec 30, 2012, 03:07 AM
IT'S NOSE HEAVY!!!!!!!
Joined Mar 2012
3,007 Posts
hmmm..."thermal cycle"?
Maybe the wind was from a monstrous thermal that woulda taken you Lady into the stratosphere?

FYI, still planning to show up Monday evening to check out yer truck.
OH...and I just got a Gentle lady kit to go along with a Robart incidence meter (I've somehow lost mine) for $70..glad I stayed up late.

OH..and the lady with the Corolla connected with me and all is kosher.
Will be nice to get mid to high 20's rather than 15mpg!
Old Dec 30, 2012, 09:33 AM
Egads! It's a GIRL!
Joined Jul 2011
3,324 Posts
Nice!

Monday evening still sounds OK.
Old Dec 30, 2012, 07:47 PM
Egads! It's a GIRL!
Joined Jul 2011
3,324 Posts
How's the gyro fly? Like it's on rails. It felt as if I were flying a big four meter, instead of my little Gentle Lady. If I were to let to of the sticks, the plane would keep going in a straight line. I dialed the pitch gain way back, it was acting funny, and I might move back the yaw a little, too. I had fun playing with it. I got multiple four minute flights of of lift that would have had me landing in two. I'm working now on putting it the Spirit. I think I have an idea to get around the single AIL IN slot.
Old Dec 31, 2012, 10:58 AM
Sane til the lift starts!
Laguna Beach, CA
Joined Jun 2008
10,199 Posts
*sigh*

3 days down, and 6 more to go before my weekend. This is a tough way to return to work after vacation.

Wish me luck tonight. I have a feeling the natives will be restless and rambunctious when I punch in. I *might* let the patients stay up until just after midnight, as long as they're behaving themselves. Otherwise, I'll have to put on my frowny face and play the role of mean babysitter.
Oops, I mean ..... yep, that's the frowny face I'll use.
kpeevyhouse is offline Find More Posts by kpeevyhouse
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 31, 2012, 11:22 AM
Sane til the lift starts!
Laguna Beach, CA
Joined Jun 2008
10,199 Posts
By the way.... I love the newest RCG logo!
Happy New Year everybody!

kpeevyhouse is offline Find More Posts by kpeevyhouse
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 31, 2012, 12:31 PM
Torn 'twixt buildin' and flyin
United States, TX, Austin
Joined Oct 2007
7,239 Posts
Yeah.. Happy New Year! I hope all my friends have a peaceful, joyous and prosperous New Year in 2013, with lots of new building and flying going on!
TheNightowl is offline Find More Posts by TheNightowl
Old Dec 31, 2012, 01:08 PM
registered weapon
United States, MT
Joined Mar 2008
3,293 Posts
Ya mon, Happy New Years bradda's & sista... be careful out there tonight KPV!
Old Jan 01, 2013, 01:04 AM
registered weapon
United States, MT
Joined Mar 2008
3,293 Posts
I've got THE only post in the year 2013... yea!!!
Old Jan 01, 2013, 01:17 AM
It's not going to build itself
Aliso Viejo,CA
Joined Aug 2005
6,531 Posts
Happy New Year everyone! I'm going to go tuck in the kids now.
Tom
TRISME is online now Find More Posts by TRISME
Old Jan 01, 2013, 01:34 AM
Egads! It's a GIRL!
Joined Jul 2011
3,324 Posts
It's not 2013 yet.