HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 09, 2012, 04:48 PM
Theoretical Modeler..
Joined Oct 2007
2,124 Posts
Already a member, and got the plans... full size print and digital pdf... just need the wood and some free time...

Thanks Cap'n... I will drop him a line. What is he charging for the kit?
plane_tech is online now Find More Posts by plane_tech
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 09, 2012, 07:52 PM
Define "interesting..."
Corralitos
Joined Jan 2006
1,083 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by plane_tech View Post

Thanks Cap'n... I will drop him a line. What is he charging for the kit?
The kit looks great, was well packaged and arrived promptly. $15.25 + S/H.

Kirk (just got the carbon, need covering) out
Cap'n Kirk is offline Find More Posts by Cap'n Kirk
Old Nov 09, 2012, 08:56 PM
Theoretical Modeler..
Joined Oct 2007
2,124 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNightowl View Post
Okay, whoever is looking to build a Bug... here. I think ya gotta belong to the group to download the .pdf file of the construction article, but it's located here: http://f1.grp.yahoofs.com/v1/4HydUB0...BugArticle.pdf

Owl, that gives you a 404 page...

Here is the PDF...
Old Nov 09, 2012, 09:34 PM
United States, CA, San Jose
Joined Mar 2012
2,785 Posts
Why isn't there a metric unit of time. Who in the world came up with the terribly cumbersome 24:60:60 thing anyways?
Dumb.
cityevader is offline Find More Posts by cityevader
Old Nov 09, 2012, 09:54 PM
Theoretical Modeler..
Joined Oct 2007
2,124 Posts
Well...

Technically..
Quote:
The official SI definition of the second is as follows:[41][42]
The second is the duration of 9,192,631,770 periods of the radiation corresponding to the transition between the two hyperfine levels of the ground state of the caesium 133 atom.
At its 1997 meeting, the CIPM affirmed that this definition refers to a caesium atom in its ground state at a temperature of 0 K.[41] Previous to 1967, the second was defined as:
the fraction 1/31,556,925.9747 of the tropical year for 1900 January 0 at 12 hours ephemeris time.
The current definition of the second, coupled with the current definition of the metre, is based on the special theory of relativity, which affirms our space-time to be a Minkowski space.
and
Quote:
The average length of a solar day on Earth is about 86,400 seconds (24 hours) and there are about 365.2422 solar days in one mean tropical year.

As far as the "Metric Time"...

Quote:
Decimal and metric time
Main article: Metric time
In the 19th century it had also been suggested to make a decimal fraction (1⁄10,000 or 1⁄100,000) of an astronomic day the base unit of time. This was an afterglow of decimal time and calendar, which had been given up already for its difficulty to comply with familiar units. The still most successful candidate is the centiday = 14.4 minutes, as a shorter quarter of an hour and also close to the SI target kilosecond and old Chinese ke.
Old Nov 09, 2012, 11:19 PM
Joined Mar 2012
2,785 Posts
ummm... dumb... I thought? Or think?

I don't know where I stand anymore...except here of course.
Old Nov 09, 2012, 11:23 PM
Joined Mar 2012
2,785 Posts
We use "tenths" at work.

Funny looks when somebody asks how long to get from point A to B and I say three tenths.

18 minutes is 3/10 of 60 out of 60 out of 24...dumb
Old Nov 09, 2012, 11:41 PM
Theoretical Modeler..
Joined Oct 2007
2,124 Posts
You piqued my interest further...

Decimal Time
Old Nov 09, 2012, 11:53 PM
It's all fun till Crunch!
InSane Diego
Joined Jan 2002
1,949 Posts
As I remember from an old, old Physics class, Everyone in old Europe thought having day that was divisable by 2,4, 6, 8, 12 was so easy and cool, it stuck.
A thousand or two yers later everyone was all for Decimal grouping, except the clocks were stuck on 24 hours, so only weight & measures did the dance to Metrification (Napolian use it as a major platform in his campions!)

Now we here in the States had our own version of how big a gallon was & how long a mile was, etc. so we're stuck with an archaic system based on Kings fingers, & noses, & proof based on flamibility not % alcohol. In the early 70's we started on Metrification, but PTA Moms couldn't deal with it so they lobbied for a return to Imperial units, except they didn't realize the rest of the world was going metric anywy.

So here we are! And if we use 24 hour time we get all kinds of weird looks and "That's so
European" comments, even though the entire rest of the world easily understands 24 hr time.
As my friend Bill the Cat said "Wayne, We're goverened and sourounded by a bunch of illerit morons"!
Capt. Crunch is offline Find More Posts by Capt. Crunch
Old Nov 10, 2012, 12:15 AM
Torn 'twixt buildin' and flyin
United States, TX, Austin
Joined Oct 2007
7,164 Posts
Sorry about the 404... When I tried the link I still had the original page up in another window and it took me right to it. Don't know what the problem is now.
TheNightowl is offline Find More Posts by TheNightowl
Old Nov 10, 2012, 10:08 AM
Sane til the lift starts!
Laguna Beach, CA
Joined Jun 2008
10,193 Posts
cat: "Hmmm.... is this my lunch?"
eagle: "Hmmm.... is this my lunch?"

An eagle visits my cat (0 min 25 sec)
kpeevyhouse is offline Find More Posts by kpeevyhouse
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 10, 2012, 10:16 AM
Egads! It's a GIRL!
Joined Jul 2011
3,293 Posts
A friend of ours used to live in the Santa Cruz mountains, and one morning all the cats were lined up at the porch's sliding glass door, perfectly still, watching and wishing. Outside on the porch railing was a golden eagle, also watching and wishing, each hoping that, somehow, the other would come to the other side of the barrier.

I love that last second of the video there -- The second cat on the deck isn't too sure about that big bird. Not sure at all, judging by the fat bottlebrush tail he's sporting.
Lil Stinkpot is offline Find More Posts by Lil Stinkpot
Old Nov 10, 2012, 10:41 AM
Theoretical Modeler..
Joined Oct 2007
2,124 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNightowl View Post
Sorry about the 404... When I tried the link I still had the original page up in another window and it took me right to it. Don't know what the problem is now.
its all good.. thats why i just posted the file. I joined the yahoo group back when I ordered the plans, but for some reason can no longer log in. Glad I saved it when I did.
Old Nov 11, 2012, 06:20 PM
You can't stop the signal. . .
Corralitos, CA
Joined Dec 2007
5,125 Posts
We're on page 2. Sheesh. I get too sick to move for 2 days, and we wind up on page 2?
Mr. Universe is offline Find More Posts by Mr. Universe
Old Nov 11, 2012, 06:40 PM
Sane til the lift starts!
Laguna Beach, CA
Joined Jun 2008
10,193 Posts
I was kinda sick too. Stupid back pain.... right between the shoulder blades. Couldn't sleep, could barely go to work.
kpeevyhouse is offline Find More Posts by kpeevyhouse
RCG Plus Member