Curses! Foiled again!
Mr. Universe is offline Find More Posts by Mr. Universe
Old Oct 04, 2010, 11:20 PM
EPP Extrordinare
United States, CA, San Clemente
Joined Feb 2008
3,327 Posts
All Done!!!!!

Well she's finally done !!! I'm very happy the way it turned out, especially being a first scratch-build from balsa. The only real tricky part was the spring and string system for the controls, but I got it dialed in now. The servos are not very precise, so centering is off by just a hair, but it'll be very miniscule in flight. Another issue was glassing. Because it was moist today, the epoxy just didn't wanna grab a hold, so I'm holing the fin and glass for prob. 20 min. and it's still isn't hardening . So I tried using Gorilla Glue with fiberglass, which worked out nicely (especially when the epoxy finally got a hold of the glass). I still need to trim off and soak the glass a little more so the fibers aren't going everywhere, but so far it's super strong and light.

Anyways, the target weight I was going for was 160grams at the least, but when I weighed her, the result was.....

157grams (and I'm actually a bit nose-heavy!)!!!!!!!!!!!
Mr. Combat Certain is offline Find More Posts by Mr. Combat Certain
Old Oct 05, 2010, 02:23 AM
Define "interesting..."
Corralitos
Joined Jan 2006
1,087 Posts
Nice job! Looking forward to a flight report.

Kirk out
Cap'n Kirk is offline Find More Posts by Cap'n Kirk
Old Oct 05, 2010, 02:32 AM
EPP Extrordinare
Joined Feb 2008
3,327 Posts
Thanks Kirk!

However I have one teeny problem, the elevator servo is acting kinda funky. Almost every time I move the servos and then let go of the stick, the elevator servo "jitters" back and forth about 1/32" back and forth around the center rapidly. However, the jitter is unoticable when I look at the elevator due to the tension spring. It's not a huge deal, but I'd like to troubleshoot it before it gets worse. I also noticed that a couple times, the servo cuts out completley . If the problem continues, I'll go ahead and try to clean out the servo and try again. Anyone else have any imput on this?
Old Oct 05, 2010, 11:14 AM
Sane til the lift starts!
Laguna Beach, CA
Joined Jun 2008
10,193 Posts
^ Do you mean that you literally let go of the stick? Could it be that the stick is just bouncing around center before it stops moving?

Try some more trouble shooting as well. Disconnect the pushrod from the servo and see if it still acts weird (there might be some binding in the pushrod). Plug that servo into your rudder channel and see if it does the same thing when you move the left stick (receiver might be bad). Try using a different battery pack (might have low voltage or bad battery wires) Try using a different servo on the elevator channel (might have bad servo or bad wires). All these things are quick and easy to check, and can help narrow down if the problem is the servo, the receiver, or the battery.
kpeevyhouse is offline Find More Posts by kpeevyhouse
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 05, 2010, 12:05 PM
EPP Extrordinare
Joined Feb 2008
3,327 Posts
Crash :(!!!

Well the elevator servo was working fine this morning, so I went to go and try it out. Boy, does it fly nice ! I flew for a good 30 minutes and then the wind picked up. I am sooo glad the tail is glassed; I launched and circled back downwind, and as I was comin in, a small rotor pulled my plane down onto one of the rafters at my apartments . Well I was high enogh that I didn't land on it, but instead the plane's tail hit the rafter, and it swung so the nose faced straight down. It fell out of the rafters right onto the fragile nose . The fuse was cracked in about 5 places, and I tried glassing over it with Gorilla Glue again. It seems stirdy, but also heavy. So I'm trying to decide whether I want to keep going, or just build another fuse (super easy to do, just a couple pieces and sanding). I think I'll just go get some more epoxy and build another one, and this time I'll glass it
Old Oct 05, 2010, 12:35 PM
Laguna Beach, CA
Joined Jun 2008
10,193 Posts
Some titanium rod and carbon fiber will fix that nose right up!
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 06, 2010, 12:14 AM
Torn 'twixt buildin' and flyin
United States, TX, Austin
Joined Oct 2007
7,189 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by orni-freak View Post
Well the elevator servo was working fine this morning, so I went to go and try it out. Boy, does it fly nice ! I flew for a good 30 minutes and then the wind picked up. I am sooo glad the tail is glassed; I launched and circled back downwind, and as I was comin in, a small rotor pulled my plane down onto one of the rafters at my apartments . Well I was high enogh that I didn't land on it, but instead the plane's tail hit the rafter, and it swung so the nose faced straight down. It fell out of the rafters right onto the fragile nose . The fuse was cracked in about 5 places, and I tried glassing over it with Gorilla Glue again. It seems stirdy, but also heavy. So I'm trying to decide whether I want to keep going, or just build another fuse (super easy to do, just a couple pieces and sanding). I think I'll just go get some more epoxy and build another one, and this time I'll glass it
A couple of strips of carbon wouldn't hurt. You can put it either on the inside or outside, a 1/4" strip, or maybe 6K two flattened to 1/4" along each side and along the centerline of the bottom. If you're going to light-glass that fuse, use 0.5 or 0.75 ounce glass at the heaviest. Lay the carbon first, under the glass.

That might not help a whole lot to protect the nose if you're going to drop it right on it, though. Got a source for titanium foil, maybe?
TheNightowl is offline Find More Posts by TheNightowl
Last edited by TheNightowl; Oct 06, 2010 at 01:14 AM.
Old Oct 06, 2010, 01:08 AM
EPP Extrordinare
Joined Feb 2008
3,327 Posts
Well I went ahead and decided to make a new fuse, and I glasse dit on the bottom as well as both sides. It came in at a little heavier, 164grams. Still flies fine though, but I'm still having difficulty with the centering of the surfaces. Pics and flight report to come...
Old Oct 06, 2010, 01:16 AM
Torn 'twixt buildin' and flyin
United States, TX, Austin
Joined Oct 2007
7,189 Posts
I'm a little curious as to how you bent 1/16th sheet to cover the ribs. That's pretty thick wood to bend in a short arc to maintain the airfoil. Did you use a template and check the airfoil after you got it done?
TheNightowl is offline Find More Posts by TheNightowl
Old Oct 06, 2010, 01:59 AM
You can't stop the signal. . .
Corralitos, CA
Joined Dec 2007
5,172 Posts
Hmmm. . . All this talk about planes. . .

Squirrel!
Mr. Universe is offline Find More Posts by Mr. Universe
Old Oct 06, 2010, 02:06 AM
Laguna Beach, CA
Joined Jun 2008
10,193 Posts
Snakes!
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 06, 2010, 02:07 AM
EPP Extrordinare
Joined Feb 2008
3,327 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNightowl View Post
I'm a little curious as to how you bent 1/16th sheet to cover the ribs. That's pretty thick wood to bend in a short arc to maintain the airfoil. Did you use a template and check the airfoil after you got it done?
It was really light grain, so it was already pretty bendable, Just some weight and CA did the trick...
Old Oct 06, 2010, 02:10 AM
EPP Extrordinare
Joined Feb 2008
3,327 Posts
snake?