kpeevyhouse is online now Find More Posts by kpeevyhouse
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 30, 2010, 11:41 PM
EPP Extrordinare
United States, CA, San Clemente
Joined Feb 2008
3,324 Posts
Shoot...my printer won't print the proper zoom. It keeps saying 94% instead of 100%. I printed it at first without realizing, so it has a wingspan of 17.75" instead of 19.3" it needs to be . has anyone else had this problem???
Mr. Combat Certain is online now Find More Posts by Mr. Combat Certain
Old Oct 01, 2010, 03:23 AM
Sane til the lift starts!
Laguna Beach, CA
Joined Jun 2008
10,193 Posts
When I printed it at 100%, the half-span came out to 18.75". It's closer than what you got, but it's still a bit smaller than the actual measurement if you want the full 1 meter wingspan.

I re-did the original plan and scaled up 104% to get it to print at the correct size. When you print it, make sure that you select the "Page Scaling" to say None. On my screen it's right below the box where you select the number of copies you want to print.
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 01, 2010, 09:49 AM
Laguna Beach, CA
Joined Jun 2008
10,193 Posts
Ooooo.... it's all foggy outside this morning
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 01, 2010, 10:30 AM
EPP Extrordinare
Joined Feb 2008
3,324 Posts
I've got all my balsa outside, hope it doent warp ...
Old Oct 01, 2010, 05:41 PM
EPP Extrordinare
Joined Feb 2008
3,324 Posts
my wing so far

Well im soo close to finishing the wing, the ribs are glued, trailing edge done, webbers and the bottom sheeting is also done. I couldn't get 1/32" balsa, so I'm sheeting with 1/16" and I'll sand it down. The biggest pain is getting the wings joined. My first attempt resulted in a scewed joiner, so I had to cut through the epoxy and wedge a small piece of wood in so it's straight. So far so good just waiting for epoxy to cure before I continue. Weight right now is 43g, better than it looks thank goodness
Old Oct 01, 2010, 06:29 PM
Laguna Beach, CA
Joined Jun 2008
10,193 Posts
Woohoo!

Balsa bashing!
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 01, 2010, 09:06 PM
You can't stop the signal. . .
Corralitos, CA
Joined Dec 2007
5,141 Posts
^ CRUNCH crackle clatter crumple. . .
Mr. Universe is online now Find More Posts by Mr. Universe
Old Oct 01, 2010, 09:17 PM
EPP Extrordinare
Joined Feb 2008
3,324 Posts
woohooo finished the wing !! it weighs 59g at the moment hope for a 65g weight when done. we'll see...
Old Oct 01, 2010, 11:43 PM
Torn 'twixt buildin' and flyin
United States, TX, Austin
Joined Oct 2007
7,172 Posts
What is the deal with Ebay? Several items I paid for as long as a week ago, I was just notified today are being shipped.

A sketchbook I paid for on 09/22 was just shipped yesterday. They shipped it media mail, with no tracking, so I'll be lucky to get it by the end of next week.

Orni, the Mimi wing looks pretty good. Especially considering how quickly you got it built.
TheNightowl is offline Find More Posts by TheNightowl
Old Oct 02, 2010, 12:17 AM
EPP Extrordinare
Joined Feb 2008
3,324 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNightowl View Post
Orni, the Mimi wing looks pretty good. Especially considering how quickly you got it built.
Thanks. It's my first balsa bash. The parts came together pretty well, so the build was relatively easy. The hard part was cutting out the parts. But it helps when you have a LOT of time on your hands .

Oh, and about the webbers, I did them a little differently than the plans. Wood (or any other material with a 'grain') is strongest when a joint is bent against the grain, right? So to make the wing strongest, I made the spars grain as per the plans, but for the webbers I used 1/6" basswood with the grain going horizontal, not vertical. Wouldn't this make a better wing structurally? I highly doubt there is a huge difference, but I just wanted to be sure the wing can take the launches (not that I can launch very high anyway, but we'll see when she's done ).
Old Oct 02, 2010, 12:30 AM
Joined Oct 2007
7,172 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by orni-freak View Post
So to make the wing strongest, I made the spars grain as per the plans, but for the webbers I used 1/6" basswood with the grain going horizontal, not vertical. Wouldn't this make a better wing structurally?
No. The purpose of the web is to add strength to the wing in bending loads that try to bring the spars closer to each other. If you want to do an experiment, cut some 1/2 x 2 inch pices of balsa, 4 with the grain running lengthwise, and 4 with the grain running across the short measurement. Glue each set of 4 into a square, one with all the grain running horizontally, one with all the grain running vertically. Then, start stacking weight on them and see which one collapses sooner. IDEALLY, spar webbing is actually inserted between the spars (so it looks like an I beam), but that allows much more room for errors in the form of gaps, etc. Gluing it to the face and rear of the spar puts all the stress on the glue joints and is a poor second choice, but still better than no web at all.
Old Oct 02, 2010, 12:55 AM
EPP Extrordinare
Joined Feb 2008
3,324 Posts
Hmmm...thanks for the tips N'Owl! I'll use this for my next wing (we'll see how long this one lasts, it's really stiff as is but planes have a shorter life with me )
Old Oct 02, 2010, 02:24 AM
Laguna Beach, CA
Joined Jun 2008
10,193 Posts
coffee coffee COFFEEEE!
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 02, 2010, 02:42 AM
Joined Oct 2007
7,172 Posts
Man, I get done working tomorrow morning (when my weekend gets here), I swear, I'm going to go to bed and to sleep, and I'm going to stay there from Sunday morning to Monday night. Maybe then I'll feel rested, finally.