Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
This thread is privately moderated by orange&white, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Mar 02, 2013, 05:29 AM
Dorset, England
Joined Aug 2005
179 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RFJ View Post
Bridon,

Doc Mathews Fly Baby from October 1989 Model Aviation. 300 dpi/greyscale.

Ray
Cheers Ray....I know what I will be doing this afternoon now...

Bridon
Bridon is offline Find More Posts by Bridon
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 02, 2013, 04:11 PM
Dorset, England
Joined Aug 2005
179 Posts
Nice link earlier from Trisquire
https://library.modelaviation.com/ma/1989/10/

Spent a very relaxing few hours trawling this one...any other good links like these around?

Regards

Bridon
Bridon is offline Find More Posts by Bridon
Last edited by Bridon; Mar 02, 2013 at 05:28 PM.
Old Mar 03, 2013, 12:25 AM
Napa, CA
Joined May 2007
610 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RFJ View Post
First published in Aeromodeller February 1949.

Ray
Ray
Do you happen to have a scan of this?

Thanks,
Chuck
tri-pacer is offline Find More Posts by tri-pacer
Old Mar 03, 2013, 03:31 PM
WMD
Bradford, UK
Joined Jan 2010
1,134 Posts
Skylane 62

Another request for help.

I have some raw scans here just arrived of the (circa 1960?) Carl Goldberg Skylane 62 plan, posted in thanks to JimScott. That's 2 full sheets plus a bonus third of hand-traced formers. The plan is old and tatty and badly in need of a clean-up, and I don't have the time to do that, also frankly I am not that skilled. I have too much to do already running Outerzone, and there are I think better skilled people than me for this job. Any takers?

About a month ago I did this with the big Sterling Stearman PT17 plan, starting here - http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...ostcount=11217 - with a request for help with cleaning up that plan. That project has gone very quiet now... anyone got news on that?

Steve
WMD is offline Find More Posts by WMD
Old Mar 04, 2013, 01:03 AM
Reduce the drama...
USA, OR, Damascus
Joined Apr 2004
4,043 Posts
"the big Sterling Stearman PT17 plan, starting here - http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...ostcount=11217 - with a request for help with cleaning up that plan. That project has gone very quiet now... anyone got news on that?"

Still working on it. About half done on the printwood.
Thanks to John Karmis for scanning and e-mailing his kit parts. Even sheets 11 and 20!
rick.benjamin is offline Find More Posts by rick.benjamin
Old Mar 04, 2013, 05:12 AM
The original Flying Pigs Sqd.
Netanya, Israel
Joined Aug 2002
9,954 Posts
I'm not intending on hijacking the thread, but have a question you gents will probably able to answer.

I downloaded the plans of the Wolf glider from Outerzone. I like the wingplan (close to my beloved Bird of Time R.I.P.), and the fuse is relatively simple and nice & square-ish.
The plan is for a 75cm wingspan. I want to enlarge it to 150cm.
I've build from scratch, plans, kits and modded ARF's, so I am no stranger to balsa bashing. But I've never dealt with something like this.

Printing the plan enlarged (tiled on A4 pages) is no problem. And I realise that 1mm ribs do not become 2mm ribs etc. But how about the rib spacing, and the number of ribs needed? Is there some formula for this? Likewise with the fuse. I'm sure the formers (size and number) needs adjusting to allow for a proper strong fuse, but how do I decide?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Rene
Up&Away is offline Find More Posts by Up&Away
Old Mar 04, 2013, 06:39 AM
AMA 8711, FCC K4WZA
Salem, SC
Joined Mar 2003
517 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Up&Away View Post
I downloaded the plans of the Wolf glider from Outerzone. (snip)
The plan is for a 75cm wingspan. I want to enlarge it to 150cm.

Thanks,
Rene
To keep the same wing-cubed loading, strength and flying characteristics, just double everything, *including* the rib thickness. Actually, it'll fly slightly better since the Reynolds nbr will increase slightly. Decrease part thickness only if you think it's overbuilt. Feel free to exercise judgement.

Larger projects can justify more parts, so you might want to increase the number of ribs & formers. Decrease part thickness inversely with the increase in numbers - if you double the ribs, use balsa of 1/2 thickness, if they wouldn't seem too spindly. (If you double the size, 1mm ribs would become 2mm. If you then double the number of double-size ribs, use 1mm)

-Dave Plumpe
DPlumpe is offline Find More Posts by DPlumpe
Old Mar 04, 2013, 07:34 AM
WMD
Bradford, UK
Joined Jan 2010
1,134 Posts
Skylane 62

Doh. Forgot to say, the un-cleaned scans of this plan are over the 3MB limit, so have put a zipfile up in the holding bay at: http://www.outerzone.co.uk/advanced/..._bay/index.asp - anyone who wants to have a go, just grab it from there and download the file called Skylane_62.zip
Old Mar 04, 2013, 02:25 PM
Reduce the drama...
USA, OR, Damascus
Joined Apr 2004
4,043 Posts
Would it it be possible to put the jpg in a "for restoration" folder instead of converting it to pdf?
rick.benjamin is offline Find More Posts by rick.benjamin
Old Mar 04, 2013, 02:59 PM
WMD
Bradford, UK
Joined Jan 2010
1,134 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rick.benjamin View Post
Would it it be possible to put the jpg in a "for restoration" folder instead of converting it to pdf?
This is how they arrived, as 3 pdf files. I've just put them into a zipfile together. You want me extract each one out as a jpg? I can have a go...
Old Mar 04, 2013, 03:13 PM
Entropy is happening!
Bellingen NSW Australia
Joined Aug 2008
6,555 Posts
Hyphen

I just discovered this huge thread - fantastic bit of nostalgia!

I built and flew a Free Flight model called a "Hyphen" around 50 years ago.
Anyone heard of it? Probably designed circa 1950's.

Jim.
Jim.Thompson is online now Find More Posts by Jim.Thompson
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Yet another light plank!
Old Mar 04, 2013, 04:16 PM
Heads up...
United States, VA, Stafford
Joined Jun 2009
744 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by WMD View Post
Doh. Forgot to say, the un-cleaned scans of this plan are over the 3MB limit, so have put a zipfile up in the holding bay at: http://www.outerzone.co.uk/advanced/..._bay/index.asp - anyone who wants to have a go, just grab it from there and download the file called Skylane_62.zip
There is a set of these plans for $21.95 on e-bay(http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-SKYL...item338025df9b) if your just needing for the plans, and a kit (http://www.ebay.com/itm/Carl-Goldber...item20cfcb7423) for $185.00..
RMCCOR7737 is offline Find More Posts by RMCCOR7737
Old Mar 04, 2013, 04:30 PM
WMD
Bradford, UK
Joined Jan 2010
1,134 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMCCOR7737 View Post
There is a set of these plans for $21.95 on e-bay(http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-SKYL...item338025df9b) if your just needing for the plans, and a kit (http://www.ebay.com/itm/Carl-Goldber...item20cfcb7423) for $185.00..
Good point. Ok, if you buy them, pay the delivery too, then pay to get them scanned at a print shop, then email them over to me as a pdf, I'll happily host them on Outerzone.

I'll stand the website hosting costs. Seems fair.
Old Mar 04, 2013, 06:33 PM
Ajax, Ontario, Canada
Joined Oct 2004
2,568 Posts
"Hyphen"

Howard Gostelow flew one with Dooling .29 for years
Applehoney is online now Find More Posts by Applehoney
Old Mar 04, 2013, 06:43 PM
Entropy is happening!
Bellingen NSW Australia
Joined Aug 2008
6,555 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Applehoney View Post
"Hyphen"

Howard Gostelow flew one with Dooling .29 for years
Thanks AppleH!

That's a start. Do you know Gostelow? Or is he registered on the forums here?

I would love to find an old picture of one. I had an ED diesel (later converted to glow plug) in mine. 2.5 cc. or .15 cu. inch (I think?).
Jim.Thompson is online now Find More Posts by Jim.Thompson
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Yet another light plank!