HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by orange&white, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Feb 23, 2013, 11:49 AM
United States, TN, Memphis
Joined Dec 2012
1,035 Posts
Onion skin

Dave,

Paint, holds very well.....and it fills the pores on one medium pass....I used
a rust-oleum enamel on the large glider, and a Testors model airplane enamel on a smaller one........high gloss urethane works well too for the au natural look.

As far as prep, I lightly sanded the whiskers and rags at the seams and edges, wiped the surface with a clean t-shirt, and then painted it.......

don't get it too wet when you shrink it.....it doesn't take much moisture to shrink it.

The Rust-oleum is a lot cheaper than the Testors.....and I can't tell the difference.
Haven't tried Krylon yet, but I don't see why it won't work.

Also, if you prefer two light coats, you don't have to worry about sanding through the paper before the second coat.
Old_Pilot is offline Find More Posts by Old_Pilot
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Fane AOP - circa 1941
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 23, 2013, 12:08 PM
5,200 Led Lighted Bike-Bob P.
USA, MA, Swansea
Joined Mar 2003
2,760 Posts
Old Pilot,
I am interested in covering a very large plane with Silkspan. Do you find this tracing paper or onion skin having better qualities in strength than silkspan? I would be sticking it to the bare wood by brushing on Polyurethane waterbase paint. I know you do it dry. I am wondering if I sprayed overall with a water mist and brushing on the polyurethane paint over all the woodlading edge and perimeter of the wing area through the top of the misted paper if it would work well also. I have done Silkspan this way before.

Or do I wet the wood with Poly-U or stick pen it to the wood first and let it dry, then give it a coat of sprayed on PolyU waterbase clear afterwards. The water base paint will seal and tighten the paper in one step. Am I correct? What are your views on this. The wing is 14 inch cord and 80 inches long. I am just verifying in my mind what you are conveying here to apply your thoughts.
Thanks for all the help.
**Neons** Bob
**neons** is offline Find More Posts by **neons**
Last edited by **neons**; Feb 23, 2013 at 12:13 PM.
Old Feb 23, 2013, 03:06 PM
Joined Dec 2012
1,035 Posts
Onion skin

Bob,

Well, I haven't used silkspan in 40 years, so I can't speak to it's comparative strength or ease of application.

I've had zero luck with wet paper of any sort....and if onion skin gets a little too wet, well, I don't have the touch to work with it.

The onion skin adhered well to bare wood with all the adhesives I tried. I used the Tite-bond for the big glider because I knew the paper would pull tighter than a glue stick would hold over such a large area,it gives me more working time .... make sure the glue is dry !

Polycrylic holds well.....I can't address the urethane question.

I never depended on my finish coat to shrink my covering....I always misted and dried it first......it gives me a chance to work out a stubborn wrinkle by selectively re-misting and re-drying.....but that's probably due to my lack of ability rather than anything else.

My suggestion is to get some onion skin, put it on a test frame and see what happens........what's the worst thing that can happen.....you end up with a $6 roll of paper you can use for tracing, etc if it doesn't fit your needs as a cover.....
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 23, 2013, 03:21 PM
Joined Dec 2012
1,035 Posts
Rescued Plans..........again

Gentlemen,

Update on rescued plans....

First off....I accidentally deleted the contents of my PM in/sent mailbox........DOH !

You gentlemen that have reserved plans and not sent me a postage paid envelope, please send me a PM and let me know if you're still interested....I have the reserved plans separated by name, not call sign.

Jim R....the Phaeton 40 and the Pitts will go in the mail Monday.....thanks

Had a cancellation....

I have plans for the 141" Cub, the 72" Corsair, and the Tower Trainer

George ???
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 23, 2013, 03:23 PM
Napa, CA
Joined May 2007
610 Posts
One of the best paints in a can that I've found is Design Master Floral paint. It's Acetone based, very light, drys fast and works well with Dope. It comes in a variety of colors, and drys with a nice translucent finish. I've used it on silkspan, polyspan and tissue and all work well with it, so it stands to reason that it would work well with the Onion paper. The only bad thing I can think of is that the smell isn't the most pleasant. I not talking a Dope like smell, just a BAD smell, so keep is out doors until it drys. With all said, it's worth a try.
tri-pacer is offline Find More Posts by tri-pacer
Old Feb 23, 2013, 07:56 PM
martinsville indiana
Joined Dec 2007
529 Posts
thanks for my plans old_pilot
thechannelmast is offline Find More Posts by thechannelmast
Old Feb 23, 2013, 09:05 PM
Joined Dec 2012
1,035 Posts
Plans

Glad you go them...I want to see pictures of the finished birds
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 24, 2013, 04:15 AM
Oldrndrt RCav8r
United States, OK, Ardmore
Joined May 2009
55 Posts
O_P

Sent you another PM...Thanks for all the plans!

George
georgewaldrop is offline Find More Posts by georgewaldrop
Old Feb 24, 2013, 07:21 AM
Joined Mar 2005
63 Posts
Gentlemen., re onion skin.
I may have missed a few posts recently so may be repeating info. I have been using laminating film for covering - 1.7 mil and 3 mil. It is clear when shrunk and very tight. Also then takes paint. In Vancouver, BC, I paid $28 for 2 250 foot rolls, 18 inches wide.
Farm Flyer is offline Find More Posts by Farm Flyer
Old Feb 24, 2013, 07:24 AM
Joined Dec 2012
1,035 Posts
MAN plans catalog

Gentlemen,

I tried to scan the MAN plans catalog in every file format that my scanner will offer. If I set the resolution to anything below 300 dpi, the scan are unreadable. If I set the resolution so that the scan is readable, the file size is immense (30-50 meg).

Scanned image file types available to me are .tiff, .png. jgp, and .bmp.....

any ideas ?
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 24, 2013, 07:28 AM
Balsa breaks better
Buchanan Mi
Joined Apr 2005
2,062 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old_Pilot View Post
Gentlemen,

I tried to scan the MAN plans catalog in every file format that my scanner will offer. If I set the resolution to anything below 300 dpi, the scan are unreadable. If I set the resolution so that the scan is readable, the file size is immense (30-50 meg).

Scanned image file types available to me are .tiff, .png. jgp, and .bmp.....

any ideas ?
Try scanning in b & w or gray scale. Colour will give bigger files.

Joe
Thermaler is offline Find More Posts by Thermaler
Old Feb 24, 2013, 07:37 AM
Joined Dec 2012
1,035 Posts
MAN catalog

Figured it out.....I load the image into PowerPoint then save it out as a PDF
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 24, 2013, 07:56 AM
Joined Dec 2012
1,035 Posts
MAN Catalog II

Page 2
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 24, 2013, 05:49 PM
Joined Feb 2013
1 Posts
Das Ghosten Flugboot

hi all, I have an old pin-pricked copy of Das Ghosten Flugboot plans. I built one around 1980 with a 0.75 engine and 2-ch set which was all I could afford at the time. Thought it was too heavy (balsa covered wings and all) for that little motor, but took it along to Croydon Airport (S.London) and my old buddy was able to do loops and land it safely. I was so impressed (by my model-making skills) I sold it to a school mate. Will probably build another one when I retire in 2030, maybe convert to electric by then. Let me know if I can help, rgs Al
jimaga is offline Find More Posts by jimaga
Old Feb 24, 2013, 11:50 PM
Ashford. Kent. England
Joined Feb 2005
6,760 Posts
have you tried plastic carrier bags for covering micro models... 12micron or 18micron weigh almost nothing and they heat shrink nicely..
I stick them on using uhu por.. then shrink at 107-110 degrees with my modelling iron..
for decor I use solvent based marker pens
davereap is offline Find More Posts by davereap