HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by orange&white, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Feb 07, 2013, 06:49 AM
Northumberland, England
Joined Jan 2007
624 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMCCOR7737 View Post
I been wanting to build a CR-32 and ran across this beautiful set of plans but they are in Italin. Any suggestions on an easy way to convert an Italian plan into good ol' English? I tried OCR recognition to no avail......
The publication date apears to be March, 2009 & all the specified hardware is current stuff.
This is the vintage model section & this thread is for pre 1960. I suggest you try the scale board.
patmcc is online now Find More Posts by patmcc
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 09, 2013, 03:34 AM
WMD
Bradford, UK
Joined Jan 2010
1,131 Posts
Sure is quiet around here. Hope no-one minds me filling this thread up with PT-17 related stuff in the interim. Have just been sent a copy of the missing illegible text of 'Step 5' on sheet 3, thanks to Andy. This (apart of course from the printwood) I think now makes the 4 plan sheets complete.

Edit: Also, Andy has a page with great photos of his build of the Stearman PT17 here - http://www.mfc-kleve.de/abteilung2/0...802/index.html - it is in German though.
WMD is online now Find More Posts by WMD
Last edited by WMD; Feb 11, 2013 at 05:06 AM.
Old Feb 09, 2013, 07:17 AM
Edubarca
Colombia, South America
Joined Oct 2009
1,064 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by planeman View Post
Yeah, the idiot that took on this job (me) is juggling previously committed to obligations. It will take some time for me to finish the Stearman parts. But you may keep on reminding me and I won't take offense. Of course I will expect that you won't take offense when I keep dragging my heels.

Planeman
It has taken me more than 40 years trying to obtain this plan and parts. I'm sure I can wait some more time. No hurry!!!! Aeromodelling has taught me to be patient!!!
Edubarca is offline Find More Posts by Edubarca
Old Feb 10, 2013, 12:30 AM
United Kingdom, Tonbridge
Joined Oct 2011
190 Posts
Brooks Biplane and Woodford Special

Good morning all,

Continuing on with the November 1952 Aeromodeller I present the Brooks Biplane and the Woodford Special.

Basil Brooks was the designer and flier of the Biplane. The model had been developed over four years until the stage at which the plans were published. It looks a really interesting and practical build and was even suggested as being suitable for R/C in 1952. It is an interesting design and one that would be well worth building nowadays - especially considering that, according to the article, it meets the pre-1950 deadline. The recommended minimum power is an ED 2.46 Racer with a preference towards a 3.46cc motor. With a wingspan of 56" I think I would tend to start with a OS 40 FS and consider a OS 26 FS after initial flights. However with three channel RC it would give a sweet summer evening treat.

The Woodford Special is a 58" lightweight contest glider designed by Ron Firth. The craft was designed to be quick to build, easy to trim and large enough to be kept in sight up to the end of the maximum. Flying from a 100 metre towline an average time in still air (which is a rarity here in UK) of three minutes plus is claimed. As a contest model it is also recommended to beginners.

As always with my drawings they are only tracings from the original articles and may be subject to faults. If you do notice any please feel free to contact me then I can correct them. I will forward .dwg files to Steve at Outerzone so he may host them. If you do build from my plans please take care and measure at least twice before applying the knife. Most of all - enjoy.

Al
hogal is offline Find More Posts by hogal
Old Feb 10, 2013, 04:43 AM
Joined Mar 2005
63 Posts
Not sure if this has been posted earlier, but a simple to blow a plan up or down is to use the existing(or create a) pdf file then use the scale setting for the scale. The Foxit pdf program is free and works well.
Farm Flyer is offline Find More Posts by Farm Flyer
Old Feb 10, 2013, 07:16 AM
Joined Mar 2005
63 Posts
Further to #11330 above, we have an inexpensive HP flat plate printer, scanner, copier, that will produce great pdf as well as jpeg scans. It producers excellent results.
Farm Flyer is offline Find More Posts by Farm Flyer
Old Feb 10, 2013, 07:19 AM
Edubarca
Colombia, South America
Joined Oct 2009
1,064 Posts
The Brook's biplane has been a "must build" for me for several years and I will probably make it this year. I am sure that this model, built light, covered with Monokote or similar, with standard servos (3 channel) can fly with a Chinese ASP .21 even at my altitude of 2.650 meters. I have an RCM Draggin bye, made of plywood (the fuselage) with similar wings and weighing almost 4 pounds all-up and it is overpowered with the .21 which is a little gem!!!!
I use Photoshop to enlarge or reduce plans simply with the "Image" "Image size". Then write the new size of the plan. Of course, one must know a real measurement like wheels diameter, spinner etc. in order to calculate the increase. Really easy!! It might not come out 100% accurate, but a difference of a few millimetres is no harm.
Old Feb 10, 2013, 09:23 AM
Ajax, Ontario, Canada
Joined Oct 2004
2,566 Posts
Al,

A nostalgic post for me.

I remember 'Taxi' Brooks often at Fairlop around 1950, flying a couple of the biplanes. He would pitch a tent, fly till dusk and be out again early next day.

Ron Firth - a longtime associate of mine in the Northern Area
Applehoney is online now Find More Posts by Applehoney
Old Feb 10, 2013, 09:41 AM
Edubarca
Colombia, South America
Joined Oct 2009
1,064 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Applehoney View Post
Al,

A nostalgic post for me.

I remember 'Taxi' Brooks often at Fairlop around 1950, flying a couple of the biplanes. He would pitch a tent, fly till dusk and be out again early next day.

Ron Firth - a longtime associate of mine in the Northern Area
By the way is Mr. Basil Brooks still around?
Old Feb 10, 2013, 09:48 AM
AMA 34191
Fayetteville, PA
Joined Dec 2002
219 Posts
I just want to take the time to thank everyone for their work! I go through this thread from time to time and I'm always finding something thing new, and many of the plans bring back lot's of great memories!

I'm also getting plenty of ideas for new R/C projects!

Thanks again!
Vulgar Vulture is offline Find More Posts by Vulgar Vulture
Old Feb 10, 2013, 01:11 PM
Ajax, Ontario, Canada
Joined Oct 2004
2,566 Posts
>By the way is Mr. Basil Brooks still around?

Sadly, no.
Applehoney is online now Find More Posts by Applehoney
Old Feb 11, 2013, 05:03 AM
WMD
Bradford, UK
Joined Jan 2010
1,131 Posts
More Stearman PT-17 printwood news, just in. Andy has emailed me some drawings. The files are over 3MB so again I have posted this up on Outerzone in the Holding bay area at http://www.outerzone.co.uk/advanced/..._bay/index.asp for anyone who wants to grab the files and have a go. Its the file called printwood_03.zip This zipfile contains 4 pdf files that's a total of 21 pages of A4 drawings and 1 page of text notes. Here is a thumbnail of what that all looks like.

These are (I think) all hand drawn from the original kit printwood, and look like they should nicely fill in all the gaps we had before.
WMD is online now Find More Posts by WMD
Last edited by WMD; Feb 11, 2013 at 05:14 AM.
Old Feb 11, 2013, 01:26 PM
High Exalted Poohbah
Atlanta, GA USA
Joined Sep 2001
1,861 Posts
[QUOTE=More Stearman PT-17 printwood news, just in. Andy has emailed me some drawings. These are (I think) all hand drawn from the original kit printwood, and look like they should nicely fill in all the gaps we had before.[/QUOTE]

Thanks!!!

These will simplify things a LOT!

Planeman
planeman is offline Find More Posts by planeman
Old Feb 11, 2013, 06:49 PM
Granby, CT, USA
Joined Jan 2001
939 Posts
peregrine

I noticed (and downloaded) the Peregrine from Aeromodeller in 1954. Has anyone built one of these and if so can the builder share his experience with us and maybe even tell us about weight and rigging? Sign me Ever Hopeful.

Thanks.
PeterH is offline Find More Posts by PeterH
Old Feb 12, 2013, 09:44 AM
Nearly everything that flies
Smalltownboy Germany
Joined Feb 2011
7 Posts
My own interest

Quote:
Originally Posted by planeman View Post
Thanks!!!

These will simplify things a LOT!

Planeman
I know this thread is not about discussion or chit & chat, but I like to thank all people, who are involved in solving the problems of the Stearman printwood files.

I would have done my maiden flight by now, if I would know, that I could rebuild her (of course in the worth case )

It seems to me, that there are several kits still unbuild in their boxes?! (At your place?! So get a pencil! This beauty must kept alive!)
Stearmanandy is offline Find More Posts by Stearmanandy