HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by orange&white, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Feb 01, 2013, 11:37 AM
Reduce the drama...
USA, OR, Damascus
Joined Apr 2004
4,043 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by brokenenglish View Post
I've made a couple of 600 dpi scans for Steve, and the result, each time, was a file of around 30 mega, far too big for posting.
I welcome any polite suggestions!
Thanks for contributing!
Try scanning at 200 dpi, greyscale.
Regards
Rick
rick.benjamin is offline Find More Posts by rick.benjamin
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 01, 2013, 07:05 PM
Model Designer - AMA 667982
Tucson, AZ, USA
Joined Sep 2000
1,924 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by raglafart View Post
Just a bit of food for though and more of an observation than anything.
When this thread first started there were masses of plans posted and little by way of discussion which lasted for a good 3-400 pages.
Multiple plans per post was the norm with a lot less in the way of the discussion that we see over the last couple of hundred pages.
These days it seems 80-90% of the thread content is discussion and the new plans that are posted count for maybe only one or two per page on average!

Come on guys, dust off those magazine and give the scanner glass a clean and start posting some plans
Well, I for one haven't posted here for fear of the CRP. I posted one design that I no for sure was out of print and out of circulation however the date was off and I removed it at request. Now I saw a design posted several pages back that is still being sold and no one has said a thing about it being removed. So, I will continue to not post anymore scans in this thread. There are more designs and scans now being posted in the Control Line, Boat and Free Flight forums than here as the restrictions are far less. No offense pointed at anyone, Just My Thoughts.
starcad is offline Find More Posts by starcad
Old Feb 01, 2013, 07:14 PM
Tucson, AZ, USA
Joined Sep 2000
1,924 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by brokenenglish View Post
Rags, that's a good point...
I have quite a few that I would like to post (from magazines).
However, maybe I need some advice (not to mention treatment!).
In the past, I've made a couple of 600 dpi scans for Steve, and the result, each time, was a file of around 30 mega, far too big for posting.
To aggravate the problem, I have a fairly poor Internet and it thus takes a long time to upload onto "Dropbox", which is the only way I can transfer the file.
Finally, I only have a basic Epson A4 printer to scan with.
I welcome any polite suggestions!
BrokenE, first after the scan it has to be for want of a better word, "processed". The scan should be at at least 400dpi in gray scale and then imported into either Photo Shop or Gump for alignment, scaling, posterized and conversion to a black and white image and then cleaned of any imperfection. Then a PDF is created from the resulting image. If done correctly the result will be a lot smaller file.

Here is a link to a tutorial that may be of some help.
Old Feb 01, 2013, 07:18 PM
Australia, NSW, Lane Cove West
Joined Jul 2008
258 Posts
For those that would like to post some plans here and are not quite sure how to go about it there are some excellent tutorials at Steve's Outerzone site.
Here's the link; http://www.outerzone.co.uk/tutorials/index.asp

As for file sizes it's one of the things I've struggled with myself. One of the best ways to radically reduce the file size is once you've got a well sorted drawing that you've cleaned up in Photoshop or Gimp is converting it to first "Grayscale" then into a "Bitmap"

Anyway have a read of the tutorials and that should help some.

I feel strongly that it's far better for us all to contribute, we're all winners that way.

Cheers John
raglafart is online now Find More Posts by raglafart
Old Feb 02, 2013, 12:49 AM
Joined Jan 2013
4 Posts
Thank you for posting the URL on tutorials. I am just learning GIMP, and stitching plans would otherwise have posed a huge headache. I hope to contribute FF and scale plans shortly.
Stuck in the 60s is offline Find More Posts by Stuck in the 60s
Old Feb 03, 2013, 07:06 PM
Tucson, AZ, USA
Joined Sep 2000
1,924 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuck in the 60s View Post
Thank you for posting the URL on tutorials. I am just learning GIMP, and stitching plans would otherwise have posed a huge headache. I hope to contribute FF and scale plans shortly.
Actually Stuck. start with one that is a full plan in a magazine. The better the quality of the magazine paper the better the resultant scan will be. After the conversion to a Bit Map image it will be easier to clean as you are only dealing with 2 colors, black and white. I usually "zoom" in to about 1/4 of the image and from there you can see the imperfections and can easily clean them up with the paint brush function. It takes practice but the results are really worth the effort you put into each and every scan. I've started another tutorial but haven't had time to finish it, hopefully in the next several weeks if flying weather doesn't get in the way.
Old Feb 04, 2013, 02:44 PM
High Exalted Poohbah
Atlanta, GA USA
Joined Sep 2001
1,861 Posts
[QUOTE=brokenenglish; I have quite a few that I would like to post (from magazines).
However, maybe I need some advice (not to mention treatment!).
In the past, I've made a couple of 600 dpi scans for Steve, and the result, each time, was a file of around 30 mega, far too big for posting.
[/QUOTE]

There is a trick to this.

You have to get rid of all unnecessary image digital information. Plans are black and white so you don't need any "color" or "gray" information. To eliminate this extraneous information you have to save your image file as a bitmap file (.BMP).

However the problem with bitmap is the lines in the plan tend to be “jaggy” and they lose their smooth flow. There is a trick to dealing with this:

1. If you happen to be working in color (God forbid!), change the file to “grayscale”. Always work in plans in grayscale as there is much less for a computer to calculate and things will go faster – much faster. I always scan and prepare my plans at 300 dots per inch (dpi). When you are finished preparing the plan are are ready to wind it up, do the following.
  2. Change the plan resolution from 300 dpi to 900 dpi. Sometimes when I am working on a small plan I even change it to a higher resolution like 1200 dpi.
  3. While at the greater resolution the next step is to get rid of all shades of gray and turn the image into one of pure black and pure white. The best way to do this for plans is to use the “Posterize” feature in Photoshop (Image – Adjustments – Posterize). NOTE: “Posterizing” is an old photographic trick used a number of years ago done in a darkroom on an enlarger that forces various shades of a color into only one or a very limited shades of a color. This was to prepare a color photo for the limited number colors used by the silk screen process when printing posters. It often gives a pleasing artistic effect that designers like so this has been enabled as a digital process in Photoshop.
    What this process does for you is to force all grays above 50% to a pure black and to force all grays 50% and below to pure white. It will also eliminate little hints of light gray smudges in your plan and make it look very clean. To do this with the “Posterize” feature, when you bring up “Posterize” (Image – Adjustments - Posterize), a small window will open that shows a slider bar and a small window labeled “Levels”. Using the slider, set the “Levels” to 2 and press “O.K.”
    You will get a better idea of what this feature does by doing this with a color photo and playing around with the slider. You will find it interesting.
  4. Now that you have “posterized” at the high resolution, the next step is to change the file type from “grayscale” to “bitmap”. You do this by finding the bitmap command under the “image” menu (Image – Mode – Bitmap). A small window will open up that gives you choices of what type of bitmap you want under “Method”. Select “50% Threshold”. NOTE: “50% Threshold” does essentially what you did with “Posterize”, however “Posterize” does a much cleaner job. Don't change any other settings in that window. Press “O,K,”.
  5. Now that you have saved the file as a high resolution bitmap file, you need to lower the resolution to make a smaller file. Change the resolution of your image from a high resolution back to 300 dpi. (Image – Image Size – Resolution). Note: I have found that doing the bitmap at a high resolution and then lowering the resolution gives a better result than just doing the bitmap at the lower resolution. Why, I don't know.
  6. You are now finished working on your image. Make the final “Save File”.
  7. But you are still not quite finished. You want to save this file as an Adobe Acrobat file (.pdf). Open the file in Acrobat and save as a .pdf file. NOTE: Acrobat further compresses the bitmap image file you made by converting the image to a “vector” image that is no longer made of small dots (.bmp) but converted into a mathematical calculation. Acrobat also has a “smoothing” algorithm built in that smooths curved lines which improves the bitmap image some. NOTE: The Acrobat vector image has the advantage of being able to be enlarged or reduced without affecting the resolution of the image – handy for enlarging plans.
    I recommend that you now compare the file size of your original grayscale plan image you started with to the file size of the final Acrobat .pdf file. You will see a HUGE difference. I have found that I can get very large plans (36” x 120” or more) into the maximum 3 megabytes file size allowed by this RC Groups website without any loss of clarity of plan line using this method.
Planeman
planeman is offline Find More Posts by planeman
Old Feb 04, 2013, 05:57 PM
Tucson, AZ, USA
Joined Sep 2000
1,924 Posts
Yep! And that is how it is done. It's not very hard but will take a few times to get used to what needs to be done to the scanned image. The other links posted will guide you through how to straighten the image and scale it to the proper size. I printed the instructions above when Planeman first presented them and after around three hours of playing with the setting in Photo Shop, I was able to produce a very nice scan.

There are literally thousands of plans that still haven't been added here or in the other threads in this forum. So, if you need help with setting up or scanning please post your questions along with your scans.

One other note. While Acrobat remains the top performer for creating a PDF file, there are freeware solutions that will achieve the same desired results.
Old Feb 04, 2013, 06:10 PM
United States, MA, Waltham
Joined Dec 2001
6,831 Posts
I put together this collection of links to interesting old glider plans for a friend who sometimes builds old designs. For instance, he built a Sinbad, and a German glider from the '70's that I forget the name of.

Anyway, I thought some of the people on this list would enjoy it too. Especially those of you who can read French, Slovak, Czech, or Italian, or at least have a lot of patience and don't mind guessing.

http://gprc.free.fr/construire/cb28/cb28.htm
You may have to download and save before you can view the plans. (two buttons that say "Click", just over halfway down.)
pics of above:
http://gprc.free.fr/construire/cb28/cb28-oh/cb28-oh.htm
article:
http://www.retroplane.net/forum/files/cb28_mra_189.pdf
------------
Lots of great stuff here:
http://claudel.dopp.free.fr/Les_plan...e_antiques.php
Check out the AS25, the 1953 Kavka, the Uranio and the Zehrovice II.
Might be easier to look through the pictures here:
http://claudel.dopp.free.fr/Les_plan...tm#liste_plans
------------
http://www.sam78.cz/apr_list/samlist...=1&orderby=rok
Good stuff, including some of the plans missing in the previous list.
-------------
http://www.riviste-di-aeromodellismo...x_eng_bis.html
Not a lot of detail on most of these, but interesting. I like the GF20. Check out the Treviso, it looks like the Shuttle (notoriously weird looking rc sailplane from some years back)
_______
http://www.sam119.sk/index.php?optio...d=17&Itemid=19
Some good stuff including:
http://www.sam119.sk/images/sam119/d...amod/kavka.pdf
http://www.sam119.sk/images/sam119/d...mod/sokol1.pdf
a few more from same site:
http://www.sam119.sk/index.php?optio...rove&Itemid=27
--------------------
http://clap54b.free.fr/vollibre/musee/musee.htm

Lincoln
lincoln is offline Find More Posts by lincoln
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: paper blast tube test
Old Feb 04, 2013, 11:59 PM
United States, MA, Waltham
Joined Dec 2001
6,831 Posts
two more plans

First one is called "Twin Boom Jetex" and is from M.A.N., June, 1950. I found this on Colin Usher's site, where he has a bunch of magazines scans made by Zoe Quilter:
http://www.colinusher.info/Model%20Aircraft/images.html

The second one is Alan D. Booton's Fokker G-1 from the April 1937 Air Trails, which I scanned a while back. It's 1/2 inch to 1 foot, so presumably the model's span is around two feet or so. I did a bit of editing with my really lame copy of Paint, so the sizes are probably messed up, but they should all be messed up to the same proportion.
lincoln is offline Find More Posts by lincoln
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: paper blast tube test
Old Feb 05, 2013, 04:55 AM
Heads up...
United States, VA, Stafford
Joined Jun 2009
744 Posts
What ever happened with the Stearman cut sheets...
RMCCOR7737 is offline Find More Posts by RMCCOR7737
Old Feb 05, 2013, 08:19 AM
USA, Mt, Billings
Joined Mar 2009
307 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMCCOR7737 View Post
The folks working on them were pretty clear that it was going to take a while. It hasn't, apparently, been "a while" yet. There is a LOT of work that needs doing on those, I imagine it is quite time consuming.
NOISY MUSE is offline Find More Posts by NOISY MUSE
Old Feb 05, 2013, 01:52 PM
High Exalted Poohbah
Atlanta, GA USA
Joined Sep 2001
1,861 Posts
Quote:

Yeah, the idiot that took on this job (me) is juggling previously committed to obligations. It will take some time for me to finish the Stearman parts. But you may keep on reminding me and I won't take offense. Of course I will expect that you won't take offense when I keep dragging my heels.

Planeman
planeman is offline Find More Posts by planeman
Old Feb 05, 2013, 03:55 PM
Reduce the drama...
USA, OR, Damascus
Joined Apr 2004
4,043 Posts
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOISY MUSE View Post
The folks working on them were pretty clear that it was going to take a while. It hasn't, apparently, been "a while" yet. There is a LOT of work that needs doing on those, I imagine it is quite time consuming.
Quote:
Originally Posted by planeman View Post
Yeah, the idiot that took on this job (me) is juggling previously committed to obligations. It will take some time for me to finish the Stearman parts. But you may keep on reminding me and I won't take offense. Of course I will expect that you won't take offense when I keep dragging my heels.

Planeman
Planeman is one of several folks finding time to reconstruct the parts.
I've been working on them every day since Steve asked for help.
29 January, I posted a clip of my CAD desktop.
"dirty" scans, invisible parts, missing sheets.

When will the Stearman parts sheets be done?
Ask again in 10 minutes.
rick.benjamin is offline Find More Posts by rick.benjamin
Old Feb 05, 2013, 04:38 PM
Experienced Balsa Mangler
United States, AL, Tillmans Corner
Joined Oct 2012
581 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by planeman View Post
...Yeah, the idiot that took on this job (me) is juggling previously committed to obligations....
As another who said he'd try tackling these drawings, I resemble that remark...
cpmcgraw is online now Find More Posts by cpmcgraw