SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Reply
Thread Tools
This thread is privately moderated by orange&white, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Jan 27, 2013, 02:31 PM
Registered User
Mooney_Driver's Avatar
USA, WA, Ellensburg
Joined Mar 2004
206 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old_Pilot View Post
Here you go
Yes but the text on the Kestrel plan is all reversed. The drawing is reversed too but text is hard to read when you have to use a mirror to read it.
Mooney_Driver is offline Find More Posts by Mooney_Driver
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 27, 2013, 02:50 PM
Registered User
hogal's Avatar
United Kingdom, Tonbridge
Joined Oct 2011
199 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooney_Driver View Post
Yes but the text on the Kestrel plan is all reversed. The drawing is reversed too but text is hard to read when you have to use a mirror to read it.
Mirror image attached.
hogal is offline Find More Posts by hogal
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2013, 02:50 PM
WMD
Registered User
WMD's Avatar
Bradford, UK
Joined Jan 2010
1,244 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rick.benjamin View Post
Stearman PT-17 Stearling kit FS20
Have finished FS20-3 and FS20-4
Will email dwg files to Steve later
Outstanding. This looks great to me. Fine work.

What I would suggest (if no-one else objects) is that you post all further completed parts on here, as you go along, so that others can see which work does not need duplicating. Of course, everyone is free to do whichever work they like, but I would hate to find someone else spends a week on this then comes back to find it's all been completed.

There will be more scans too. MikeB said, quote: "I have an additional 4 long sheets that my scanner cannot handle and I will see if I can send them along later. I am not sure how complete these are but I think most of the important stuff Is there"

Ahem.

These are of course CAD-drawn files. I really do hope we can all accept that, and move forward with this project. Frankly, for me CAD is obviously the best tool for this job - of redrawing and restoring lost templates. I cannot understand why some users feel the need to repeatedly state their own personal preference in this regard, over and over (and over) again. I heard you. Are you suggesting that CAD-drawn files should be outlawed from this thread? Me, I think that would be unworkable. But state your case.

Just my 2c

Steve
WMD is online now Find More Posts by WMD
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2013, 03:36 PM
Ad eos qui nesciunt crepitus
Old_Pilot's Avatar
United States, TN, Memphis
Joined Dec 2012
1,300 Posts
Oops

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooney_Driver View Post
Yes but the text on the Kestrel plan is all reversed. The drawing is reversed too but text is hard to read when you have to use a mirror to read it.
Wrong side......here ya go
Old_Pilot is offline Find More Posts by Old_Pilot
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: 45" Nas-Tee built up
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2013, 03:47 PM
Ad eos qui nesciunt crepitus
Old_Pilot's Avatar
United States, TN, Memphis
Joined Dec 2012
1,300 Posts
Kestrel LH and RH

Sorry for the confusion.....I mirrored the plans so that I'd have both sides of the wing......and I grabbed the wrong one when I posted.....gettin old is tough !
Old_Pilot is offline Find More Posts by Old_Pilot
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: 45" Nas-Tee built up
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2013, 04:56 PM
CV-15 VB-16
giuseppi's Avatar
USA, TX, Friendswood
Joined Jul 2007
1,385 Posts
....gettin' old is tough!

Yeah. But it sure beats the alternative.

g
giuseppi is offline Find More Posts by giuseppi
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2013, 05:08 PM
CV-15 VB-16
giuseppi's Avatar
USA, TX, Friendswood
Joined Jul 2007
1,385 Posts
Steve,

I'm not entirely sure but that some of the re-posting ( is that even a word ) of the cad "cold and sterile" comment might be intended as sarcasm?

g
giuseppi is offline Find More Posts by giuseppi
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2013, 05:49 PM
Ad eos qui nesciunt crepitus
Old_Pilot's Avatar
United States, TN, Memphis
Joined Dec 2012
1,300 Posts
Bcakwarsd palns

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooney_Driver View Post
Yes but the text on the Kestrel plan is all reversed. The drawing is reversed too but text is hard to read when you have to use a mirror to read it.
"Yeah, but Miss Baby, she was awright 'til me an' Junior turn her head back around." from kick thy ownself, Brother Dave Gardner ~1960
Old_Pilot is offline Find More Posts by Old_Pilot
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: 45" Nas-Tee built up
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2013, 06:21 PM
High Exalted Poohbah
planeman's Avatar
Atlanta, GA USA
Joined Sep 2001
1,884 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by WMD View Post
Outstanding. This looks great to me. Fine work.

What I would suggest (if no-one else objects) is that you post all further completed parts on here, as you go along, so that others can see which work does not need duplicating. Of course, everyone is free to do whichever work they like, but I would hate to find someone else spends a week on this then comes back to find it's all been completed.

Steve

I have been working away at the Sterling Stearman PT-17 printwood scans too. I started at the beginning scan. This thing is a BEAR! I have developed a method of figuring out which scan goes with which other scans to make up a sheet, but it has taken some time. Then the scans have to be straightened and assembled. Then the tracing begins. Now the other major problem is some of the scans are so indistinct that the part cannot be made out. Almost all of the ribs have this problem. I am trying to use the very few rib outlines shown on the plan to rebuild each rib. What a nightmare! Truthfully, with the formers and the ribs drawn, almost all the other parts can be taken from the plan itself. Add to this I find my plan is not to scale. This will be cured and the parts and the plan will match and the plan will be enlarged to meet the stated wingspan. I'll post it all here. But don't hold your breath.

Planeman
planeman is offline Find More Posts by planeman
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2013, 08:42 PM
Heads up...
RMCCOR7737's Avatar
United States, VA, Stafford
Joined Jun 2009
744 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by planeman View Post
Add to this I find my plan is not to scale. This will be cured and the parts and the plan will match and the plan will be enlarged to meet the stated wingspan. I'll post it all here. But don't hold your breath.

Planeman
Whew! I thought the scaling issue was something I did when I opened and re-saved to file....
RMCCOR7737 is offline Find More Posts by RMCCOR7737
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2013, 11:34 PM
Registered User
thechannelmast's Avatar
martinsville indiana
Joined Dec 2007
531 Posts
Apprentice

i like to add my share. i hope the plan is okay if not plz tell me and i will remove it i don`t know what year it is or were i got it . ps these plans were in bad shape there my first with photoshop .
thechannelmast is offline Find More Posts by thechannelmast
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2013, 02:15 AM
Registered User
USA, Mt, Billings
Joined Mar 2009
332 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by planeman View Post
I have been working away at the Sterling Stearman PT-17 printwood scans too. I started at the beginning scan. This thing is a BEAR! I have developed a method of figuring out which scan goes with which other scans to make up a sheet, but it has taken some time. Then the scans have to be straightened and assembled. Then the tracing begins. Now the other major problem is some of the scans are so indistinct that the part cannot be made out. Almost all of the ribs have this problem. I am trying to use the very few rib outlines shown on the plan to rebuild each rib. What a nightmare! Truthfully, with the formers and the ribs drawn, almost all the other parts can be taken from the plan itself. Add to this I find my plan is not to scale. This will be cured and the parts and the plan will match and the plan will be enlarged to meet the stated wingspan. I'll post it all here. But don't hold your breath.

Planeman
Thanks very much for taking this task on! Awaiting results but breathing comfortably with knowledge that a wait is inevitable.

Scott
NOISY MUSE is offline Find More Posts by NOISY MUSE
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2013, 11:17 AM
Registered User
Joined Oct 2012
217 Posts
Hi all,

Re the 'CAD vs hand-drawn' thing, I must admit I love the feel of rolling out a fresh piece of lining paper and sharpening my pencil. I've also drawn plans in Illustrator and was quite happy to do it (glad I did it that way with my O/D Sopwith Tabloid as I later needed to re-size it) but on the whole I still prefer pencil and paper...maybe it makes me feel like a full-size designer back in the old days, lovingly toiling over a drawing board. Who knows?

As for laser-cut parts, I've never yet tried it, as I prefer to cut every part myself - maybe again I'm putting myself in the place of the factory worker many years ago, hand-crafting each part.

Probably the simple reason is that I enjoy all aspects of modelling equally; the drawing, cutting, constructing and flying.

Regards
Harry
Harry Rule is offline Find More Posts by Harry Rule
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2013, 01:57 PM
Registered User
Ajax, Ontario, Canada
Joined Oct 2004
2,609 Posts
>I enjoy all aspects of modelling equally; the drawing, cutting, constructing and flying.

In a nutshell, Harry! Well said.
Applehoney is offline Find More Posts by Applehoney
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2013, 04:34 PM
Registered User
Gold Coast Australia.
Joined Jan 2005
2,536 Posts
[QUOTE=Harry Rule;23968164]Hi all,

Re the 'CAD vs hand-drawn' thing, I must admit I love the feel of rolling out a fresh piece of lining paper and sharpening my pencil. I've also drawn plans in Illustrator and was quite happy to do it (glad I did it that way with my O/D Sopwith Tabloid as I later needed to re-size it) but on the whole I still prefer pencil and paper...maybe it makes me feel like a full-size designer back in the old days, lovingly toiling over a drawing board. Who knows?

As for laser-cut parts, I've never yet tried it, as I prefer to cut every part myself - maybe again I'm putting myself in the place of the factory worker many years ago, hand-crafting each part.

Probably the simple reason is that I enjoy all aspects of modelling equally; the drawing, cutting, constructing and flying.


I'm glad I'm not alone.
gossie is offline Find More Posts by gossie
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Gallery Vintage & Old-Timer Plans built gallery orange&white Vintage & Old-Timer Designs 429 Dec 15, 2014 11:46 AM
Discussion Best source for Vintage/Old Timer plans? river-studio Vintage & Old-Timer Designs 18 Nov 09, 2012 08:56 AM
For Sale Old timer Sal Taibi plans Biper/Piper Aircraft - Fuel - Airplanes (FS/W) 2 Aug 15, 2011 10:30 AM