SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
This thread is privately moderated by orange&white, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Jan 26, 2013, 03:10 PM
Ajax, Ontario, Canada
Joined Oct 2004
2,610 Posts
>cutting by hand is almost out of the formula anymore. Nothing like having laser cut leading and trailing edges cut for that elliptical wing or spars cut that just drop in to align the ribs where hand cut would just not cut the mustard.

Really? I prefer to do it 'my way'. All of it.
Applehoney is online now Find More Posts by Applehoney
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 26, 2013, 03:24 PM
Balsa breaks better
Buchanan Mi
Joined Apr 2005
2,220 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old_Pilot View Post
I should have mentioned that she was in MAN, Sept 1968, which I don't have
Does anyone have the plans in pdf?
PM me if you can help.

Thank You,
Joe
Thermaler is offline Find More Posts by Thermaler
Old Jan 26, 2013, 03:59 PM
I don't want to "Switch Now"
Toronto (Don Mills), Canada
Joined Dec 2002
17,100 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thermaler View Post
PM me if you can help.

Thank You,
Joe
It is on the Outerzone

http://www.outerzone.co.uk/plan_details.asp?ID=3719
pmackenzie is offline Find More Posts by pmackenzie
Old Jan 26, 2013, 04:18 PM
Joined Sep 2011
69 Posts
Vic Smeed's Mam'selle

Here is a cleaner copy of the Mam'selle article

Roger
rogerc41 is offline Find More Posts by rogerc41
Old Jan 26, 2013, 04:47 PM
I like real wooden aeroplanes!
South-west France
Joined Sep 2007
5,003 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Applehoney View Post
>cutting by hand is almost out of the formula anymore. Nothing like having laser cut leading and trailing edges cut for that elliptical wing or spars cut that just drop in to align the ribs where hand cut would just not cut the mustard.

Really? I prefer to do it 'my way'. All of it.
Me too Jim. And if my bits didn't "cut the mustard" just as well as laser cut ones (but without the burnt edges!) I would be very disappointed. I hope we don't get to the stage where models only get built if laser cut parts are available, variety is the spice of life.
Sundancer is online now Find More Posts by Sundancer
Old Jan 26, 2013, 05:01 PM
High Exalted Poohbah
Atlanta, GA USA
Joined Sep 2001
1,884 Posts
Some of you asked if I would go ahead and post my "how to" on eliminating those many scattered dots using Photoshop in scanned plans even though WMD has it on his site. Well, here it is.

Planeman

Here is the step-by-step process for the removal of scattered tiny dots. I am using Photoshop CS3 Extended.

1. At the top of your Photoshop screen in the menu look for a menu called “Filter”. Open “Filter” and you will see a list. Click on “Noise”.

2. A small window will open with another list. Click on “Dust and Scratches”

3. A window will open that will give you an enlarged view of a small portion of your screen image. You can shift this view around to select any par of your image. The screen will also have two slide bars at the bottom called “Radius” and “Threshold”. Play with these two slider bars to see what you get. If you don't like it you can always go back a step (under “Edit” in the menu) and try something else.

You can do the above with the entire image (plan) or select a portion of the image (plan) using the “Polygonal Lasso tool” at the top of your Tool Bar

You can also remove white specks in a solid black area by inverting the image (plan) from black on white to white on black (“Image” in the menu, then select “Adjustments, then select “Invert”). When finished, re-invert the image again.
planeman is offline Find More Posts by planeman
Old Jan 26, 2013, 05:10 PM
Joined Nov 2011
39 Posts
"CAD is cold, sterile, and has no human feelings or warmth, I still prefer hand drawings. I just dislike CADS drawings. They are good for architect or engineering plans but not for model airplanes."
Eduardo ,l it's strange that you have said this as you told us all, that you had acquired a laser cutting machine!. How do you enter your data?

W
Wikiflieger is offline Find More Posts by Wikiflieger
Old Jan 26, 2013, 05:11 PM
High Exalted Poohbah
Atlanta, GA USA
Joined Sep 2001
1,884 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by WMD View Post
Can anyone help out with this? I have just got the email in with (most of the) formers for the big Sterling Stearman PT17 plan. This will need work, and I am frankly going to need some help with it.

It is a single PDF file with 31pages, and at a filesize of 11MB is way too big to post here. I have uploaded it to the holding bay in Outerzone at http://www.outerzone.co.uk/advanced/..._bay/index.asp as printwood_1 and you are free to grab it and do with it what you will.

What I am hoping is that someone (someone better than me at editing bitmap plans) will volunteer to clean this up into a usable single pdf file. Anyone who can help with this, please jump in, grab the file and have a go.
I'm going to take a stab at it. Lord, I hate the idea of having to open up that Sterling Stearman plan again! It is so large that it takes hours at each step to calculate. And I have a very fast computer. Don't be in any rush to get it. It may take a few weeks to get it all together.

Planeman
planeman is offline Find More Posts by planeman
Old Jan 26, 2013, 05:36 PM
I don't want to "Switch Now"
Toronto (Don Mills), Canada
Joined Dec 2002
17,100 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by planeman View Post
I'm going to take a stab at it. Lord, I hate the idea of having to open up that Sterling Stearman plan again! It is so large that it takes hours at each step to calculate. And I have a very fast computer. Don't be in any rush to get it. It may take a few weeks to get it all together.

Planeman
FWIW, that is one plan that could be broken up into 4 pages.
Each file would be smaller, it would match up to how the original plan was broken up into sheets and it would be easier to print.

If not 4 files, then 4 pages in the one pdf

As far as the CAD versus hand drawn, I can see the merits of both.

But I think Hogal does a superb job of giving his CAD versions some "soul".

Pat MacKenzie
pmackenzie is offline Find More Posts by pmackenzie
Old Jan 26, 2013, 07:05 PM
Reduce the drama...
USA, OR, Damascus
Joined Apr 2004
4,044 Posts
Stearman PT-17 printwood drawings completed

Stearman PT-17 Sterling kit FS20

marinefish666 (John), kindly scanned his sheets with a tape measure next to them. He included an inventory of bundles of balsa, and measured the die-cut wood thicknesses, THANKS JOHN!

2013-02-25 Finished sheets 1A through 8.
2013-03-12 Finished and posted.

PDF files zipped
DWG files zipped (for Steve @ O-Zone) Universal AutoCAD format
TCW files zipped for TurboCAD users.
I included a pdf list to the zips that cross-references parts with sheet numbers and thickness of wood.

Planeman posted the plans here:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...ostcount=11169
Plans are also at Outerzone
http://www.outerzone.co.uk/plan_details.asp?ID=3704
rick.benjamin is offline Find More Posts by rick.benjamin
Last edited by rick.benjamin; Mar 13, 2013 at 05:50 AM. Reason: Drawings of printwood completed
Old Jan 26, 2013, 08:32 PM
Heads up...
United States, VA, Stafford
Joined Jun 2009
744 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rick.benjamin View Post
Stearman PT-17 Stearling kit FS20
Have finished FS20-3 and FS20-4
Will email dwg files to Steve later
You are truly a saint. Thank you sir. Please continue the magnificent work...

Eagerly Awaiting......
RMCCOR7737 is offline Find More Posts by RMCCOR7737
Old Jan 26, 2013, 10:11 PM
Ad eos qui nesciunt crepitus
United States, TN, Memphis
Joined Dec 2012
1,304 Posts
Kestrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thermaler View Post
PM me if you can help.

Thank You,
Joe
Here you go
Old_Pilot is offline Find More Posts by Old_Pilot
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: 45" Nas-Tee built up
Old Jan 26, 2013, 11:55 PM
United Kingdom, Tonbridge
Joined Oct 2011
199 Posts
A small celebration is in order today folks, page 750. Many thanks to Orange and White for starting the ball rolling and all the contributors, including boat and dog lovers, who have helped making this the thread we all love.

My contributions today are the Calamity Jane and Rigid Midget from the Aeromodeller of October 1952. Calamity Jane is a control line stunter and Rigid Midget is a small, all sheet rubber plane.

Calamity Jane is a 50" wingspan stunter for 2.5 to 5cc engines designed by Peter Weaver from Australia. The reason for the Aeromodeller having such interest in this particular design is that is had had a large number of contest successes in the hands of the designer and others. The original was flown with engines ranging in power from a DC 350 up to a Frog 500, and the designer thought that even an Elfin 249 would do the trick. Design features are freely attributed to Bob Palmer which is not really surprising considering the contributions Bob made to CL flying at the time. It is, however, nice to see the acknowledgement. Overall a nice design which would make a good build.

The Ridgid Midget was presented as a centre page free plan and designed by Vic Dubery. The article describes that the trigger for Vic to design this pretty little plane was overhearing a youngster watching a team race event. He therefore designed this all sheet plane on the lines of a team racer. My plan has taken certain liberties in that I have laid it out as I think a plan would be laid out, not as it was published. The design certainly looks good and proved really robust. One for the Grandkids maybe.

As with all my plans they are but tracings from scans of the original magazines articles and may well contain errors. If you chose to build from them please do a lot of measuring and double checking before knife application. If you do notice any errors please send me a message so I can correct them. If you want .dwg files I will be sending them to Steve at Outerzone to host. Most of all enjoy them for what they are.

Al
hogal is offline Find More Posts by hogal
Old Jan 27, 2013, 07:57 AM
Ad eos qui nesciunt crepitus
United States, TN, Memphis
Joined Dec 2012
1,304 Posts
Windshield Patterns

All,

I've noticed that a vast majority of the airplanes submitted to this forum lack the pattern to cut the windshields accurately, especially the gliders.

In my former life, I had several projects that I had to develop the flat patterns for some rather complex shapes. I got tired of the tedium of point-to-point projection, so I wrote a LISP routine to help automate the process.

If any of you guys run into a windshield problem, I'd be happy to "unfold" the pattern for you. If you can send me the three-view of the windshield (or any other compound curved surface for that matter), I'll do my best to unfold it.

Unfortunately though, it'll be in CAD

Calm winds

O_P
Old_Pilot is offline Find More Posts by Old_Pilot
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: 45" Nas-Tee built up
Old Jan 27, 2013, 08:57 AM
United Kingdom, Tonbridge
Joined Oct 2011
199 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old_Pilot View Post
All,

I've noticed that a vast majority of the airplanes submitted to this forum lack the pattern to cut the windshields accurately, especially the gliders.

In my former life, I had several projects that I had to develop the flat patterns for some rather complex shapes. I got tired of the tedium of point-to-point projection, so I wrote a LISP routine to help automate the process.

If any of you guys run into a windshield problem, I'd be happy to "unfold" the pattern for you. If you can send me the three-view of the windshield (or any other compound curved surface for that matter), I'll do my best to unfold it.

Unfortunately though, it'll be in CAD

Calm winds

O_P
OP

Thanks for the offer of doing that.

You are right in that the patterns are often missing and it was often left to the old trick of cutting a template in thin card and trimming to fit.

I have also noticed that on the old plans where templates were drawn they were often a rough guesstimate and not symmetrical. The bad fit I can blame on my bad building, the lack of symmetry, well. Of course symmetry on CAD is not a problem. The bad building, well long may it continue.

Al
hogal is offline Find More Posts by hogal