HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by orange&white, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Jan 25, 2013, 02:00 AM
Coming home to Canada soon
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Jan 2002
565 Posts
Anyone got a scan of Chips by Randy Randolph?

Mark.
Mark Winstanley is offline Find More Posts by Mark Winstanley
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 25, 2013, 05:04 AM
United States, TN, Memphis
Joined Dec 2012
1,083 Posts
That "Bump" on your middle finger

George/Dave,

You forgot "rabbit" bags, sleeve guards, eraser shields, sanding blocks, electric erasers that would drill a hole through mild steel, drafting tape that would stick to butter, purple lead pencils, ammonia blue print machines, and that hump you develop on your middle finger from holding the pencil for 9 hours a day....mine still has yet to subside.

HOWEVER, I wonder how many of "us" still tape a set of plans down "corner-to-corner" and strike a centerline (while rotating the pencil) down the axis of the fuselage...

Talk about old habits.....but I wouldn't trade those skill for anything....

Now, back to AutoCAD !
Old_Pilot is online now Find More Posts by Old_Pilot
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: First Flight in 39 years
Old Jan 25, 2013, 05:48 AM
WMD
Bradford, UK
Joined Jan 2010
1,134 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhsmith1 View Post
Does anyone out there have the printwood for the Sterling 65" PT 17?
Smitty
I've just got an email sent in from MikeB saying he has some xerox copies of the die cut sheets for this kit (but may be incomplete, not sure yet). Hopefully they can be scanned and emailed in the next few days.
WMD is offline Find More Posts by WMD
Old Jan 25, 2013, 06:01 AM
WMD
Bradford, UK
Joined Jan 2010
1,134 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by planeman View Post
Shucks, WMD, you stole my thunder! I ran across the "dust and scratches" filter in Photoshop and found it works on getting rid of those tiny scattered dots. I didn't know you had posted it. Oh well, it saves me from having to write it up. . . . . unless others still want it.

Planeman
Ah, no worries. Tutorial 6 is from October, so it's not new. But I'd love to hear how other people approach this. There is always more to learn, more hints and tips out there..
Old Jan 25, 2013, 09:22 AM
ParkScaleModels
United States, PA, Loganville
Joined Feb 2002
4,133 Posts
what plane is that in your Avatar WMD?
zbrubaker is offline Find More Posts by zbrubaker
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Shop remodeling continues...
Old Jan 25, 2013, 09:52 AM
WMD
Bradford, UK
Joined Jan 2010
1,134 Posts
It's the Frog Jupiter, from here - http://www.outerzone.co.uk/plan_details.asp?ID=2290
Old Jan 25, 2013, 10:30 AM
High Exalted Poohbah
Atlanta, GA USA
Joined Sep 2001
1,863 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1967250s View Post
I must say, I do love the old hand drawn plans, especially the Sterling and Berkeleys. I save them just to see the beautiful work. They are just such a womderful melding of engineering and art.
If you really want to see some beautiful "artistic" hand-drawn plans look at some of Emmanuel Fillon's plans!

Planeman
planeman is offline Find More Posts by planeman
Old Jan 25, 2013, 12:18 PM
United States, VA, Alexandria
Joined Sep 2008
987 Posts
Thanks, Planeman, though I must say, the French do come up with the goofiest designs, though they did have the most wonderful writer, possibly the best to describe flying and life, Antoine St. Exupery. If anyone here has not read him, I really urge you to do so.
1967250s is offline Find More Posts by 1967250s
Old Jan 25, 2013, 01:12 PM
United States, MA, Waltham
Joined Dec 2001
6,895 Posts
Looking up from the table and getting a pounce bag in the mouth. A diopter or two in my glasses' prescription from lettering BOM's all day. Parallel rule with annoying wires that stuck a little. Those little rotating plastic sharpeners that would dump graphite powder all over (not often).

I guess I almost have geezer credentials now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old_Pilot View Post
George/Dave,

You forgot "rabbit" bags, sleeve guards, eraser shields, sanding blocks, electric erasers that would drill a hole through mild steel, drafting tape that would stick to butter, purple lead pencils, ammonia blue print machines, and that hump you develop on your middle finger from holding the pencil for 9 hours a day....mine still has yet to subside.

HOWEVER, I wonder how many of "us" still tape a set of plans down "corner-to-corner" and strike a centerline (while rotating the pencil) down the axis of the fuselage...

Talk about old habits.....but I wouldn't trade those skill for anything....

Now, back to AutoCAD !
lincoln is offline Find More Posts by lincoln
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: paper blast tube test
Old Jan 25, 2013, 03:10 PM
Granby, CT, USA
Joined Jan 2001
939 Posts
Vic Smeed's Mam'selle

Anybody have the Aeromodeller magazine article they can post here for this model? Fifty years ago I built and flew one FF, I'd love to build another for electric r/c. Still a beautiful model, sez me.

Thanks, folks.
PeterH is offline Find More Posts by PeterH
Old Jan 25, 2013, 03:55 PM
I like real wooden aeroplanes!
South-west France
Joined Sep 2007
4,429 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterH View Post
Anybody have the Aeromodeller magazine article they can post here for this model? Fifty years ago I built and flew one FF, I'd love to build another for electric r/c. Still a beautiful model, sez me.

Thanks, folks.
There you go Peter, this is the text from the December 1956 Aeromodeller. Sorry the qualitym is not great, best my scanner could manage from the faded old magazine. The plan was posted on this thread, Page 10, Post # 150.

It's a great little model, if you build it I hope you will enter it for our "Britplan" Build Off - http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1796717 - which runs until June 30th 2013.
Sundancer is online now Find More Posts by Sundancer
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 25, 2013, 05:09 PM
WMD
Bradford, UK
Joined Jan 2010
1,134 Posts
Can anyone help out with this? I have just got the email in with (most of the) formers for the big Sterling Stearman PT17 plan. This will need work, and I am frankly going to need some help with it.

It is a single PDF file with 31pages, and at a filesize of 11MB is way too big to post here. I have uploaded it to the holding bay in Outerzone at http://www.outerzone.co.uk/advanced/..._bay/index.asp as printwood_1 and you are free to grab it and do with it what you will.

What I am hoping is that someone (someone better than me at editing bitmap plans) will volunteer to clean this up into a usable single pdf file. Anyone who can help with this, please jump in, grab the file and have a go.

Here is a slightly rubbish jpg showing what the scans look like at a tiny resolution.

Just in case two or 3 gurus might happen upon this at the same time, I suggest anyone who can fix this and plans to do so, posts to a message here to that effect. To save others working on it.
Last edited by WMD; Jan 25, 2013 at 05:14 PM.
Old Jan 25, 2013, 06:20 PM
Experienced Balsa Mangler
United States, AL, Tillmans Corner
Joined Oct 2012
607 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by WMD View Post
Can anyone help out with this? I have just got the email in with (most of the) formers for the big Sterling Stearman PT17 plan. This will need work, and I am frankly going to need some help with it.

(SNIP)

Just in case two or 3 gurus might happen upon this at the same time, I suggest anyone who can fix this and plans to do so, posts to a message here to that effect. To save others working on it.
I've downloaded the PDF, and I'll see what Inkscape/GIMP might be able to do. My first look at the scans suggest it will take some "deep cleaning" to see the shapes...
cpmcgraw is offline Find More Posts by cpmcgraw
Old Jan 25, 2013, 08:56 PM
Reduce the drama...
USA, OR, Damascus
Joined Apr 2004
4,043 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpmcgraw View Post
I've downloaded the PDF, and I'll see what Inkscape/GIMP might be able to do. My first look at the scans suggest it will take some "deep cleaning" to see the shapes...
I'm in, Will start at page 31 and work forward.
rick.benjamin is offline Find More Posts by rick.benjamin
Old Jan 26, 2013, 02:24 AM
Tampere, Finland
Joined Nov 2004
4,186 Posts
It isn't one of the Sterling PT-17 plans that are up on HPA?
perttime is online now Find More Posts by perttime