HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by orange&white, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Jan 14, 2013, 10:15 PM
Joined Jan 2007
20 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old_Pilot View Post
I looked at the Jasco C wing and tried to figure out how to adapt the airfoil to the Jetco C leading edges and taper, and just couldn't come up with a good way. The Jetco C airfoil has a flat bottom and squared ends for the LE and TE. Also, the Jetco wing tapers from the root airfoil all the way to the wingtip.....The Jasco wing has parallel LE and TE with elliptical tips. The Jetco tip is "square".

So I ended up with a basic 1/3-2/3 foil.

But thanks for trying to help. I know I need all that I can get !
O_P
You done good. I can break out the kit if anyone's really interested and provide scans of the ribs, but the ones you drew up will probably do much better. As someone else mentioned, the Jetco Thermic C airfoil is nothing more than a simple arc centered at 50% chord that blends with the angles of the common LE and TE stock wood. Your 1/3-2/3 would be a great improvement and still very simple to cut.
keeferm is offline Find More Posts by keeferm
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 14, 2013, 10:26 PM
United Kingdom, Tonbridge
Joined Oct 2011
190 Posts
Forwarder, Globe Swift and AM Aircoach

Morning Folks, sorry I haven't posted for a while but this is because of sickness (normal winter type virus problem) and helping Steve at Outerzone get some .dwg files on his site. So now to continue with the Aeromodeller of September 1952.

First up is the Forwarder. A glider designed either for open or A2 contests. Nothing unusual in that you say but how about sweptback wings mounted low on the fuselage? Not many of them around but the Forwarder is the one. The designer, W. Tinker, wanted to get out of the rut, which he most certainly did, and the design had the added bonus of excellent towline characteristics. I have never had this verified and never seen one on the field so here is your chance to make history, if you are so inclined.

Next is the Globe Swift, a 40 inch wingspan control line scale model by Ian Buxton. Engine size for this design is 5 to 6.5 cc (.29 to .30 cu.ins). This is a scale model of a plane that entered several full size races with varying degrees of success, however its size and shape are ideal for control scale. The side mounted motor all but disappears in the cowl and a drop of undercarriage will enhance the looks whilst in flight.

Finally there is the AM Aircoach designed by Vic Dubury, a prolific designer of the time. The design was a centrefold plan designed to allow people experience the joy of twin rubber powered jobs with only a small outlay of cash. A nice easy design which would only involve a few nights work but it certainly looks very scale like - except for the nacelles which are relatively large due to the fact that they contain the motors. It would, for all that, still be an entertaining build.

As with all my offerings the plans are only CAD tracings of scans from the original articles and so may well contain errors. If you do decide to build from them please take care and measure twice before cutting. If you do notice mistakes let me know and I can rectify them. Steve from the Outerzone site is hosting .dwg files of plans so these may be available there for those with cutting devices.

Al
hogal is offline Find More Posts by hogal
Old Jan 14, 2013, 11:15 PM
Balsa&Tissue
United States, OR, Beaverton
Joined Jan 2011
2,138 Posts
Hogal,

Nice images. The Global Swift plan is really nicely restored.

Dave
payne9999 is offline Find More Posts by payne9999
Old Jan 15, 2013, 07:51 AM
United States, TN, Memphis
Joined Dec 2012
950 Posts
According to Newtonian physics, Bernoulli's equations for fluid flow at low mach numbers, and the laws of consevation of energy.....yes
Old_Pilot is offline Find More Posts by Old_Pilot
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: 60" Aileron Trainer...
Old Jan 15, 2013, 08:32 AM
Joined Dec 2012
950 Posts
First attempts with paper and dope

All,

After 40 years.......

The silver and red bird is a Square Soar 72 set up for 2-channel

The red and white bird is a Shoo-Fly.......

It gets easier with practice......now on to the Jetco Thermic C

Calm winds

O_P
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 15, 2013, 11:10 AM
Old Timer
CARMICHAEL, CALIFORNIA USA
Joined Apr 2001
3,842 Posts
Quote:
Now tell me you buuilt a multi-engine version too......LOL
No, I'm strictly a single engine guy.
California Condor is offline Find More Posts by California Condor
Old Jan 15, 2013, 03:17 PM
Just Me
United States, OR, Salem
Joined Apr 2006
804 Posts
The best ones to use are the deer flys....makes some awesome warplanes. Gnats work too but you need a ton of them....lol
Brner is offline Find More Posts by Brner
Old Jan 15, 2013, 03:24 PM
Intermediate Multi
Columbus, OH
Joined Mar 2005
3,216 Posts
If smaller works better, maybe fruit flies are the answer. They're certainly easy to breed.
Trisquire is offline Find More Posts by Trisquire
Old Jan 15, 2013, 03:28 PM
Joined Dec 2012
950 Posts
Fly Power

I'm glad to see that there are aunch of us that can beat the hair off a dead horse......(fly)
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 15, 2013, 04:02 PM
United States, MA, Waltham
Joined Dec 2001
6,769 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hogal View Post
snip
Finally there is the AM Aircoach designed by Vic Dubury, a prolific designer of the time. The design was a centrefold plan designed to allow people experience the joy of twin rubber powered jobs with only a small outlay of cash. A nice easy design which would only involve a few nights work but it certainly looks very scale like - except for the nacelles which are relatively large due to the fact that they contain the motors. It would, for all that, still be an entertaining build.

Al
The Globe Swift is, of course, very pretty. The Aircoach reminds me of a design by Jim Longstreth, a fictional twin called the C-130.5 Twin Hercules. It's just over 17 inches (almost the same size) and I wonder if Longstreth was influenced by the much earlier Aircoach.
http://ep.yimg.com/ca/I/yhst-1684276..._2240_23307811
The plan was in Flying Models in 1999.
--------------------------

Quote:
by packardpursuit in post 11114: Both of them, but for crying out loud, it ain't exactly rocket science, is it?
Quote:
According to Newtonian physics, Bernoulli's equations for fluid flow at low mach numbers, and the laws of consevation of energy.....yes
I think rocket science has been static for a century or more. Rocket engineering is another matter entirely. Low Reynolds number aerodynamics is one of those resistant areas that is still not 100 percent worked out, or if so very recently. So you could say it's not rocket science, it's harder. ;-)

I think Bernoulli's equations would fall under Newtonian Physics, wouldn't they? Pretty much a development of the implications of F=MA. Not sure if conservation of energy comes from Newton, but I'd suspect so.
lincoln is offline Find More Posts by lincoln
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 15, 2013, 04:03 PM
United States, MA, Waltham
Joined Dec 2001
6,769 Posts
BTW, per the fly powered airplane article, they tried twins but had trouble synchronizing engines. They suggested, but had not yet tried, tandems.
lincoln is offline Find More Posts by lincoln
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 15, 2013, 04:43 PM
Edubarca
Colombia, South America
Joined Oct 2009
1,015 Posts
I'm so sorry that the plans posted by "Hogal" are CAD. I would prefer the original magazine scan which is much better and it shows the style of the guy who drew them. CAD plans are always very cold and inhuman and not very accurate simply because they are NOT the originals.
Sorry for my mistake!! Fortunately the plans were posted as the original magazine plans.
Edubarca is offline Find More Posts by Edubarca
Old Jan 15, 2013, 04:44 PM
Since 1952
Canada, AB, Edmonton
Joined Oct 2004
1,191 Posts
We built many fly-powered models as kids in the 1950s. Growing up in Southern Africa, we had a truly awesome variety of winged bugs to choose from. The ones we used were about an inch long, kind of like giant houseflies (I forget exactly what they were). They had all kinds of power and could lift a pretty good load. We lost many a model to "flyaways".

We also used to fly them control line. About 4 or 5 feet of cotton thread, glued directly to the bug with balsa cement. No auxiliary structure. When released, they would just fly round and round in circles, seemingly forever, probably wondering why they weren't going anywhere. We even had races with them, kind of like team racing without any stops. We got tired before the bugs.

Good times. Sorry for the diversion.
Harry D is offline Find More Posts by Harry D
Old Jan 15, 2013, 05:14 PM
Intermediate Multi
Columbus, OH
Joined Mar 2005
3,216 Posts
That's hilarious. Now I want to move to Africa just for the flies.
Trisquire is offline Find More Posts by Trisquire
Old Jan 15, 2013, 06:33 PM
Joined Dec 2012
950 Posts
Fly Power

Quote:
Originally Posted by lincoln View Post
BTW, per the fly powered airplane article, they tried twins but had trouble synchronizing engines. They suggested, but had not yet tried, tandems.
Now I've got the sillies....

So I'm wondering if someone designed and built a micro-towline to be hauled into the sky using a dragonfly.......much better power to weight ratio, not to mention wingspan
RCG Plus Member