Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
This thread is privately moderated by orange&white, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Nov 03, 2012, 11:00 PM
Independence, KY and Brandon, MS
Joined Jun 2000
697 Posts
Stan - shuyge - sent me a note reminding me that back in October 2010 (post 694) I mentioned that I had an old JETCO Trooper kit and would scan the plan to post here. I was traveling at the time of that post and apparently forgot to scan the plan when I got home.

It is now two years later and my efforts to scan the plan did not produce the level of quality that I would be happy with. After investing more time then it was worth in trying to overcome the limitations of my scans, I decided to just redraw the plan using CAD. That way I would know that things were accurate and that the parts would fit.

Here is my CAD redraw of the original JETCO kit plan for the Trooper. The kit lists the wing span as 30". The flat plan layout has the span at 30 3/4".

Paul Bradley
PaulBrad is offline Find More Posts by PaulBrad
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 03, 2012, 11:13 PM
CV-15 VB-16
USA, TX, Friendswood
Joined Jul 2007
1,369 Posts
That's some really nice work, Paul. Better late than never.

g
giuseppi is offline Find More Posts by giuseppi
Old Nov 03, 2012, 11:16 PM
Joined Jul 2011
182 Posts
Thats a beautiful plan Paul thanks for taking the time to restore this classic.

Ratracer
Ratracer is offline Find More Posts by Ratracer
Old Nov 03, 2012, 11:44 PM
Reduce the drama...
USA, OR, Damascus
Joined Apr 2004
4,043 Posts
Paul
Outstanding CAD work!
I can see you put a LOT of time into it
Thank you
Rick
rick.benjamin is offline Find More Posts by rick.benjamin
Old Nov 04, 2012, 03:13 AM
Ελλάδα, Ανατολική Μακεδονία Θράκη, Βιστωνίδα
Joined Jul 2006
432 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulBrad View Post
Stan - shuyge - sent me a note reminding me that back in October 2010 (post 694) I mentioned that I had an old JETCO Trooper kit and would scan the plan to post here. I was traveling at the time of that post and apparently forgot to scan the plan when I got home.

It is now two years later and my efforts to scan the plan did not produce the level of quality that I would be happy with. After investing more time then it was worth in trying to overcome the limitations of my scans, I decided to just redraw the plan using CAD. That way I would know that things were accurate and that the parts would fit.

Here is my CAD redraw of the original JETCO kit plan for the Trooper. The kit lists the wing span as 30". The flat plan layout has the span at 30 3/4".

Paul Bradley
Hello Paul.

Great design.
Perfect job.
Some subjects and some information about this work?

Elijah Greece.
hlsat is online now Find More Posts by hlsat
Old Nov 04, 2012, 11:23 AM
United States, FL, The Villages
Joined Nov 2008
195 Posts
Anyone have the Ace 4-40 plans? Always looked like a great model.
mikempp is offline Find More Posts by mikempp
Old Nov 04, 2012, 02:45 PM
United States, IL, Edinburg
Joined Dec 2010
162 Posts
Robinson Spirit of Saint Louis Planview

Here are page-sized 200 dpi PDF format (2.5 MB) scans of the Robinson planview and detail drawings for the Spirit of Saint Louis that were published in the June 1977 issue of Model Aviation. A very sincere thanks to Charlie (packardpursuit) for sending me the source material to make these scans. Because these drawings were published in 1977 I have placed them on File Dropper instead of here in the vintage plans thread:

http://www.filedropper.com/spiritofsaintlouissheet1
http://www.filedropper.com/spiritofsaintlouissheet2

The Robinson drawings are quite nice. They contain some detail I haven't seen documented on any other drawings of the Spirit of Saint Louis.

Unfortunately, I'm not skilled enough to generate larger scaled PDF enlargements of these that are anywhere close to the maximum PDF file size allowed by rcgroups.com without butchering the drawing. The issue is the background - I've tried a number of techniques for removing the background from the scans that have proven effective for cleaning up backgrounds of lighter tone, such as the yellowing that is typical of old magazines. But the darker than normal background on this one is giving me no joy.

I use an antique version of Paint Shop Pro for bitmap editing, so maybe one of the plans restoration gurus here who is more skilled with Photoshop or some other higher powered graphics application knows how to do this. If so and you want to take a shot at these, here are 600 dpi full-color TIFs (52 MB):

http://www.filedropper.com/spiritofsaintlouis1
http://www.filedropper.com/spiritofsaintlouis2

I'm also wondering if perhaps the Robinson Spirit of Saint Louis drawings have ever been published in some other venue? They were published in Model Aviation labeled as 1/72 scale, but I assume the original planviews were actually drawn by Robinson at a somewhat larger scale...

Bob Keller
www.scaleviews.com
scaleviews.com is offline Find More Posts by scaleviews.com
Old Nov 04, 2012, 03:35 PM
WMD
Bradford, UK
Joined Jan 2010
1,134 Posts
Hi Bob,

Not that I consider myself a guru... but I can have a go. What size printout do you want? This here is same as the original, at 8.5 x 11. Any good?

Steve
WMD is online now Find More Posts by WMD
Last edited by WMD; Nov 04, 2012 at 03:43 PM. Reason: added page 2
Old Nov 04, 2012, 04:49 PM
Model Designer
United Kingdom, England, Burnley
Joined Apr 2001
5,490 Posts
...images !

Here are six simple .jpg images - taken from the folder from which I made Model Aviation .pdf files - after the link was posted somewhere in this thread.

The two pages with the scale drawings - along with the article published with them.

Keven.

edit - the images in my folder are twice as big as they appear here !
keven64 is offline Find More Posts by keven64
Last edited by keven64; Nov 04, 2012 at 04:52 PM. Reason: added comment
Old Nov 04, 2012, 05:08 PM
Joined Dec 2010
162 Posts
Technique and Dithering

Quote:
Originally Posted by WMD View Post
Hi Bob, Not that I consider myself a guru... but I can have a go. What size printout do you want? This here is same as the original, at 8.5 x 11. Any good? Steve
Hi Steve,

Are you able to pull out the background without dithering all the way down to 2 colors (black and white)?

The general procedure I use for making PDF enlargements from magazine scans is:

(A) I do a grey scale scan at 600 dpi.

(B) I then typically make several passes on the scanned image with Paint Shop Pro using image color adjustments that can independently skew the lighter tones towards white and the darker tones towards black. This essentially increases the contrast, but with more control than a simple contrast filter provides.

The goal and effect is to brighten the background until it reaches pure white, while maintaining dark lines on the drawing.

(C) I then do clean-up on the background, which almost invariably has spots here and there, either due to artifacts that are left over from the contrast increasing adjustments, or due to actual spots on magazine page. This step is typically the most time consuming and can involve quite a bit of time depending on how emotionally attached I am to that particular plan or planview.

(D) I leave the grey scale palette at 256 on work that is for my personal use where minimizing the file size isn't a critical issue. My local blueprint shop can handle even gigabyte size images without issue.

But on drawings to be uploaded to this forum I typically reduce the image's grey scale palette from 256 to 16 colors. The dither down to 16 colors helps considerably with the final file size, but leaves some "life" in the drawing. Dithering down to 2 colors (black and white) reduces the final file size even further of course, but I don't like the resulting jaggies, and to my eye dithering all the way down to black and white just sucks the "life" completely out of the drawing.

(E) Archive this master image as an uncompressed TIF.

(F) I then open the image in Open Office and use various tools in that application to resize the image and page to some particular scale (usually full-size on a construction plan) using a given metric on the plan, or an otherwise known dimension, such as the wingspan. Open Office provides better tools for doing this than Paint Shop Pro. Paint Shop Pro also lacks the ability to open or save PDF format files.

(G) I then export the image from Open Office as a PDF file - 150 dpi without compression usually produces a full-size PDF plan that is within the 3 MB limit on PDFs posted to this forum.

Bob Keller
Last edited by scaleviews.com; Nov 04, 2012 at 06:19 PM.
Old Nov 04, 2012, 06:01 PM
WMD
Bradford, UK
Joined Jan 2010
1,134 Posts
Guess I can't help then. 2 colour bitmaps is all I do.
Old Nov 04, 2012, 06:10 PM
Joined Dec 2010
162 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by WMD View Post
Guess I can't help then. 2 colour bitmaps is all I do.
Hi again Steve,

Hmm... I haven't noticed pronounced jaggies on your PDFs like I do on mine when I dither the scan all the way down to black and white. What resolution do you typically save your PDFs at?

Bob Keller
Old Nov 05, 2012, 03:26 AM
WMD
Bradford, UK
Joined Jan 2010
1,134 Posts
I used to always say at 300dpi, but nowadays I say 400 dpi. But down to as low as 200 if the plan is huge and I'm trying to keep filesize down.

But I'm very much just a one trick pony. I have this method that works for me, it's really for producing full size plans printed out at say 4' x 3' with readable print quality, no wasted ink, low filesize... this is probably not what you want if your motivation is to produce an 8"x10" greyscale 3-view at 1/72 scale. Probably best waiting for a real guru to have a go.
Old Nov 05, 2012, 04:20 PM
United Kingdom, Tonbridge
Joined Oct 2011
190 Posts
Piper Pacer and Hawker Hind

From the May and June 1952 Aeromodellers we have two scale models at different ends of the spectrum.

The first from the simple end of the spectrum is the Piper Pacer from the pen of Vic Dubery. At 14" wing span the model is designed essentially as a rubber powered flying model, that it possesses relatively scale like outlines (tail and prop are excluded) is a bonus. Keep it light and I reckon you would have one sweet model to play with.

At the other end of the spectrum is the Hawker Hind of D. Marsh. The detail on this plan is stunning. The model presented is for free flight so there has been a slight increase in tail area to improve stability, it has a wing span of 37" and is suitable for engines between 0.5 and 0.87 cc. A comment extracted from the original article is that, because of the large number of parts, the build will be more than a week's spare time. You bet it will be, unless you are a retired insomniac of course!!

Enjoy the plans and if you do decide to build from them please exercise extreme caution and measure well before cutting.
hogal is offline Find More Posts by hogal
Old Nov 07, 2012, 02:23 PM
USA, CT, Farmington
Joined Nov 2003
866 Posts
Hey Guys,

On page 224, post 3350 are the plans for the Convair XF-92. It was published by Air Trails and I don't know the year or month. Does anyone have the construction article for this model that they could post? I think with a few changes it would make a neat EDF project. Can anybody help me out. TIA!

R
imodel is offline Find More Posts by imodel