HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by orange&white, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Oct 16, 2012, 01:01 PM
UK, Forest of Dean, Westbury-on-Severn
Joined Dec 2010
34 Posts
Not free, but ESSCO has a large selection of Wasp manuals advertised here: http://www.esscoaircraft.com/c-7487-...sp-series.aspx
bjrn is offline Find More Posts by bjrn
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 16, 2012, 01:31 PM
Joined Oct 2012
7 Posts
Scaleviews

Many thanks for posting the Curtiss OX5 details, Very useful.
Regarding the Neito Curtiss Robin drawings. I regret that the drawings I used were featured
in a MAN issue 1968 as a small illustration about 2 X 1". I did a high res scan and was able to get a fair degree of detail, enough to generate a plan. The Neito drawings you posted are
far superior to the scan I have.
I do have a fairly good 3 view of the Curtiss Robin I aquired online from the Canadian Aviation Historical Society. It has sections and float detail. I used this drawing as a cross
reference to produce my plans.
I will post here in a few days time.
Thanks again Scaleviews for your help. Much appreciated.
propellerheads is offline Find More Posts by propellerheads
Old Oct 16, 2012, 09:14 PM
Joined Jan 2011
150 Posts
Swan Canard

Hello everyone,

I have a particular request.

Andy Lennon's Swan canard design featured on October 1989 Model Builder.

This plan should not be posted here, so please, would you send me a PM in case some one finds it?

All the best.

Ar.
argat1 is offline Find More Posts by argat1
Old Oct 17, 2012, 10:33 AM
United States, FL, The Villages
Joined Nov 2008
191 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjrn View Post
Not free, but ESSCO has a large selection of Wasp manuals advertised here: http://www.esscoaircraft.com/c-7487-...sp-series.aspx
so does aero-stuff.com

http://aero-stuff.com/
mikempp is offline Find More Posts by mikempp
Old Oct 17, 2012, 03:49 PM
Joined May 2012
50 Posts
Old staff

Few trully old staffs today, first is plan of Czeslaw Tanski aparatus "Lotnia". Tanski is recognised as one of airplane and modelling pioneers (first rubber powered model in 1893). This sailplane was sucessfully used in 1896 (honestly this were more several meters jumps than flights). Planes were published in 1952 by Liga Lotnicza where prepared by Zdzisław Gryglicki. In the same publication you can find plane defined as also Tanski work. This is aparently mistake as this plan is showing airplane designed by Czeslaw Zbieranski and Stanislaw Cywinski. Plane was successfully flown in September 25th 1911 (in Pola Mokotowskie - today part of Warsaw) piloted by M.Scipio del Campo. I'm showing you plan of this plane with corrected title. Airplane is treated as one of firsts successful airplane projects aparently after "Jaskolka" designed by E.Libanski.

Basic data:
Wing span 10m
Length 8,5m
Height 3,3m
Area 31m2
Total weigh 340kg
Speed 70km/h
Engine: ENV type D, 39KM
Propeller dimeter 2,25m

Data after book "Polskie konstrukcje lotnicze tom I" Andrzej Glass
DukeRoger is offline Find More Posts by DukeRoger
Last edited by DukeRoger; Oct 17, 2012 at 04:31 PM.
Old Oct 17, 2012, 08:54 PM
Joined Jan 2011
150 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DukeRoger View Post
Few trully old staffs today, first is plan of Czeslaw Tanski aparatus "Lotnia". Tanski is recognised as one of airplane and modelling pioneers (first rubber powered model in 1893). This sailplane was sucessfully used in 1896 (honestly this were more several meters jumps than flights). Planes were published in 1952 by Liga Lotnicza where prepared by Zdzisław Gryglicki. In the same publication you can find plane defined as also Tanski work. This is aparently mistake as this plan is showing airplane designed by Czeslaw Zbieranski and Stanislaw Cywinski. Plane was successfully flown in September 25th 1911 (in Pola Mokotowskie - today part of Warsaw) piloted by M.Scipio del Campo. I'm showing you plan of this plane with corrected title. Airplane is treated as one of firsts successful airplane projects aparently after "Jaskolka" designed by E.Libanski.

Basic data:
Wing span 10m
Length 8,5m
Height 3,3m
Area 31m2
Total weigh 340kg
Speed 70km/h
Engine: ENV type D, 39KM
Propeller dimeter 2,25m

Data after book "Polskie konstrukcje lotnicze tom I" Andrzej Glass

Thank you so much for this two beautiful plans, Duke!

Ar.
argat1 is offline Find More Posts by argat1
Old Oct 18, 2012, 11:49 AM
United States, IL, Edinburg
Joined Dec 2010
162 Posts
Miss San Diego

Here is a full-size PDF plan and the accompanying construction article for the Elf-powered, 48-inch wingspan "Miss San Diego" parasol type free-flight model, designed by Elbert J. Weathers and published in the October 1939 issue of Model Airplane News. I used the given 24" half-span as a metric to scale the full size plan.

Displacing .136 cubic inches, the "Corn Cob" Elf ignition engine was diminutive among its contemporaries, inspiring the design of a number of "miniature" pre-war gas powered models such as Miss San Diego. There is a nice image of this engine online at:
http://modelenginenews.org/gallery/i...ts_corncob.jpg

Bob Keller
www.scaleviews.com
scaleviews.com is offline Find More Posts by scaleviews.com
Last edited by scaleviews.com; Oct 18, 2012 at 04:07 PM.
Old Oct 18, 2012, 01:40 PM
Joined Dec 2010
162 Posts
June, 1977 Model Aviation Anyone?

I'd like to purchase or borrow a copy of the June 1977 issue of Model Aviation.

A fellow Ryan NYP enthusiast has put me onto planviews of the Spirit of Saint Louis drawn by Harry Robinson that were published in that issue.

The June 1977 issue of MA is online at:
https://library.modelaviation.com/ma/1977/6

I'd like to scan the Robinson drawings to generate high-resolution images suitable for scaling up and serving as the basis for rolling my own construction drawings. Unfortunately, the drawings online in the AMA archive are a little too low res to serve well for this purpose.

Alternately, if anyone who may happen to have that issue of MA could do 600 or 1200 dpi grey-scale scans of the two Robinson drawing sheets and email them to me, I would be most appreciative.

Thanks in advance for any help in obtaining a copy of these drawings.

On a related note, I have obtained a copy of the March 1959 issue of Model Airplane News containing Bjorn Karlstrom drawings of the Spirit of Saint Louis. I've scanned the Karlstom drawings and will post them here after completing some remaining tidying up.

Bob Keller
Last edited by scaleviews.com; Oct 18, 2012 at 03:17 PM.
Old Oct 19, 2012, 03:21 AM
Ελλάδα, Ανατολική Μακεδονία Θράκη, Βιστωνίδα
Joined Jul 2006
407 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by scaleviews.com View Post
I'd like to purchase or borrow a copy of the June 1977 issue of Model Aviation.

A fellow Ryan NYP enthusiast has put me onto planviews of the Spirit of Saint Louis drawn by Harry Robinson that were published in that issue.

https://library.modelaviation.com/ma/1977/6

I'd like to scan the Robinson drawings to generate high-resolution images suitable for scaling up and serving as the basis for rolling my own construction drawings. Unfortunately, the drawings online in the AMA archive are a little too low res to serve well for this purpose.

Alternately, if anyone who may happen to have that issue of MA could do 600 or 1200 dpi grey-scale scans of the two Robinson drawing sheets and email them to me, I would be most appreciative.

Thanks in advance for any help in obtaining a copy of these drawings.

On a related note, I have obtained a copy of the March 1959 issue of Model Airplane News containing Bjorn Karlstrom drawings of the Spirit of Saint Louis. I've scanned the Karlstom drawings and will post them here after completing some remaining tidying up.

Bob Keller
Thanks Bob from beautiful link.
What pages will?
Wrote a page number, will I make the full house plan on file size pdf.

Elijah.
hlsat is offline Find More Posts by hlsat
Old Oct 19, 2012, 05:17 AM
WMD
Bradford, UK
Joined Jan 2010
1,103 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by scaleviews.com View Post
https://library.modelaviation.com/ma/1977/6...
Now that's interesting. I did not know that a page by page archived library of Model Aviation magazine was available online, right now. Fascinating.

Wonder if that includes any full size plans in there?
WMD is offline Find More Posts by WMD
Old Oct 19, 2012, 05:25 AM
Turkey
Joined May 2002
2,167 Posts
The MA web site is really interesting. I searched for a specific airplane type, Fairchild 24, and it found an article on that from one of the older magazines.

Thanks for the link.

Bulent
bmutlugil is offline Find More Posts by bmutlugil
Old Oct 19, 2012, 07:36 AM
Blacksburg, VA 24060 USA
Joined Feb 2000
3,002 Posts
scaleviews.com,

I have TIF files of the Lindbergh NYP as drawn by Bjorn Karlstrom, Model Airplane News, March 1959. They look pretty good to me. I can e-mail them to you.

Jim R.
JRuggiero is offline Find More Posts by JRuggiero
Old Oct 19, 2012, 08:08 AM
Joined Dec 2010
162 Posts
Model Aviation Online Archive

Quote:
Originally Posted by WMD View Post
Now that's interesting. I did not know that a page by page archived library of Model Aviation magazine was available online, right now. Fascinating. Wonder if that includes any full size plans in there?
I didn't know this existed either until very recently, when I just stumbled across it in the course of Googling "Model Aviation June 1977" while searching for a copy of that issue for sale:

https://library.modelaviation.com/

Unfortunately the pages in the MA archive are published at relatively low resolution, which is understandable considering AMA is in the plans business. However, the resolution is high enough to read the articles and I think it should be sufficient to scale at least serviceable full-size plans of smaller models.

Probably not a good idea to publish them here though...

Bob Keller
Last edited by scaleviews.com; Oct 19, 2012 at 12:37 PM.
Old Oct 19, 2012, 02:39 PM
Joined Dec 2010
162 Posts
Spirit of Saint Louis Scale Planviews

For those of you who may also be interested in scratch building a scale model of the Spirit of Saint Louis, here are some PDF format planviews. These are the Bjorn Karlstrom drawings of the Spirit of Saint Louis that were published in the March 1959 issue of Model Airplane News. I have included one set of planview sheets enlarged to 1 inch = 1 foot (1/12th scale), and another set enlarged to 1.5 inches = 1 foot (1/8th scale). I employed the 46-foot wingspan of the Spirit of Saint Louis as a metric for scaling these enlarged planviews.

Back in the day I used to laboriously scale up magazine planviews using a ruler, a set of dividers, t-square, triangles, french curves, arithmetic skills, and a lot of scratch paper for doing the math... Hand-held calculators were a big improvement on the process once that technology became affordable to ordinary people, but there was still a significant amount of work involved in scaling up and re-drawing just the planview outlines to serve as the basis for construction plans.

Nowadays I can just scan the magazine or book planviews and enlarge them to whatever scale I want to build at, and have them printed out at our local blueprint shop. Technology can be a truly woundrous thing...

Bob Keller
Last edited by scaleviews.com; Oct 19, 2012 at 03:28 PM.
Old Oct 19, 2012, 05:13 PM
Joined Oct 2011
37 Posts
Back in the day I used to laboriously scale up magazine planviews using a ruler, a set of dividers, t-square, triangles, french curves, arithmetic skills, and a lot of scratch paper for doing the math.

Bob Keller[/QUOTE]

When I was seven years years old (1946) I scaled up Mag. plans using nothing more than a piece of paper, a pin & a pencil. It was crude but I didn't know about drafting tools. I didn't even have a ruller. And yes, I did get workable plans. I just didn't have any balsa or glue. But it was a wonderful self learning experience.
By the way, as I write this I am setting at the very same desk I sat at all those years ago. Some old things are still good.
Newtmagick is online now Find More Posts by Newtmagick
Last edited by Newtmagick; Oct 19, 2012 at 05:20 PM.