HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by orange&white, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Sep 10, 2012, 02:41 AM
Italy, Lazio, Poggio Mirteto
Joined Apr 2012
33 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColinNZ View Post
Maybe this short film. Just turn the volume off

http://www.europafilmtreasures.eu/PY...flying_machine
It says the film is french, but that's wrong. It was taken in Rome, during Wright's italian tour. From the aerial view you can also see some roman ruins and the "Aqua Claudia" aqueduct, built by the Emperor Claudius around the years 40-50 after Christ and still perfectly efficient. Sadly, almost all that romantic scenery today is just a concrete block.
Edimodel is offline Find More Posts by Edimodel
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 10, 2012, 12:43 PM
Recycled Modeller
Dungiven, Northern Ireland
Joined Apr 2008
235 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColinNZ View Post
Maybe this short film. Just turn the volume off

http://www.europafilmtreasures.eu/PY...flying_machine
Fascinating, that's the first film I've seen of the Flyer landing, and that must be some of the earliest aerial filming ever done.
Wilf is offline Find More Posts by Wilf
Old Sep 10, 2012, 09:17 PM
Joined Feb 2010
68 Posts
Answer to unemployment

[QUOTE=Thayer;22686561]If you want a great PT-19 kit, you won't do better than the new 1/5 scale kit from Aviation Concepts. it began as a replacement wing or fuselage (I don't remember which) for an old Dynaflite airframe. As these things go, it made more sense in the end to just do the entire airframe.

http://www.hangtimes.com/aviationconcepts.html

Thayer[quote]

$669 short kit and they are flying off the shelves. Encouraging.
bee banger is offline Find More Posts by bee banger
Last edited by bee banger; Sep 10, 2012 at 09:44 PM. Reason: spelling always spelling, but sometimes grammar
Old Sep 11, 2012, 05:16 AM
Joined Jun 2012
2 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Stein View Post
Here's a little treat from the Frank Zaic Model Aeronautics Yearbook collection. (And by "little" I mean 15inches.) It's a canard glider that I built a copy of several years ago... it floated like a dream until a friend decided he HAD to try it indoors. (Don't try that... it is NOT easily contained in a meeting room or gym!)

I found it both airworthy and beautiful.... enjoy!
where is the c.o.g. for this plane i need help to trim
thanks ed.b.
ejboerner is offline Find More Posts by ejboerner
Old Sep 11, 2012, 12:05 PM
CV-15 VB-16
USA, TX, Friendswood
Joined Jul 2007
1,378 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ejboerner View Post
where is the c.o.g. for this plane i need help to trim
thanks ed.b.
I don't see it anywhere, either. Maybe you just add clay/plasticine 'til it flies right.

I'm still trying to figure out how Jasco graded their balsa; ie., Long Mr6 Jasco 3" and Long RAF 32 Jasco 2".

Any help with this will also be much appreciated.

g
giuseppi is offline Find More Posts by giuseppi
Old Sep 11, 2012, 06:44 PM
I don't want to "Switch Now"
Toronto (Don Mills), Canada
Joined Dec 2002
16,811 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by giuseppi View Post
I don't see it anywhere, either. Maybe you just add clay/plasticine 'til it flies right.

I'm still trying to figure out how Jasco graded their balsa; ie., Long Mr6 Jasco 3" and Long RAF 32 Jasco 2".

g
Pretty sure M-6 and RAF 32 are airfoil sections. I assume the "long" parts means they have been stretched.

RAF32 can be seen here:
http://www.ae.illinois.edu/m-selig/a...lots/raf32.gif

M-6 here
http://www.ae.illinois.edu/m-selig/ads/afplots/m6.gif

Pat MacKenzie
pmackenzie is online now Find More Posts by pmackenzie
Old Sep 11, 2012, 07:23 PM
CV-15 VB-16
USA, TX, Friendswood
Joined Jul 2007
1,378 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmackenzie View Post
Pretty sure M-6 and RAF 32 are airfoil sections. I assume the "long" parts means they have been stretched.

RAF32 can be seen here:

M-6 here

Pat MacKenzie
Excellent, Pat.

Thanks for clearing that up for me. Although its something I should probably have already known.

g
giuseppi is offline Find More Posts by giuseppi
Old Sep 13, 2012, 06:28 PM
Stockton, CA
Joined Sep 2007
10 Posts
Scientific Plans/Kits

Does anyone know of a comprehensive list of Scientific Kits/Plans...

Have heard that they made a kit of the New Standard D25????

I would appreciate any assistance in this area.

Thanks,
Sky9pilot
FreeFlighter
sky9pilot is offline Find More Posts by sky9pilot
Old Sep 14, 2012, 01:11 AM
I like real wooden aeroplanes!
South-west France
Joined Sep 2007
4,791 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sky9pilot View Post
Does anyone know of a comprehensive list of Scientific Kits/Plans...

Have heard that they made a kit of the New Standard D25????

I would appreciate any assistance in this area.

Thanks,
Sky9pilot
FreeFlighter
It won't be a comprehensive list, but Derick Scott lists a lot of Scientific plans at www.model-plans.co.uk
Sundancer is offline Find More Posts by Sundancer
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 14, 2012, 01:46 AM
Reduce the drama...
USA, OR, Damascus
Joined Apr 2004
4,044 Posts
Quote:

g
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmackenzie View Post

RAF32 can be seen here:

M-6 here

Pat MacKenzie
Quote:
Excellent, Pat.

Thanks for clearing that up for me. Although its something I should probably have already known.

g
I think this is what they look like
rick.benjamin is offline Find More Posts by rick.benjamin
Old Sep 14, 2012, 09:55 AM
Stockton, CA
Joined Sep 2007
10 Posts
Scientific Plans/Kits

Thanks Skydancer for the lead...

Much appreciated

Sky9pilot
sky9pilot is offline Find More Posts by sky9pilot
Old Sep 16, 2012, 02:24 PM
United Kingdom, Tonbridge
Joined Oct 2011
190 Posts
Super Saint and Kalpie

Good evening all and I'm now back from my travels for a while so the plans will be a bit more frequent.

This weekend we have the Super Saint and Kalpie from the February 1952 Aeromodeller and two more different models are you ever likely to see together.

The Super Saint is a Class B team racer designed by Ken Marsh. It was designed in 1950 and was entered in a few races but was stopped from getting first place by engine troubles. These were eventually sorted and the plane went on to start winning in 1951 with an ETA 29. An interesting model from the birth of team racing in the UK.

The Kalpie, on the other hand, is an out and out fun free flight model developed for the Kalper 0.32cc diesel motor, a beautiful little motor but not renowned for it's power. The text also recommends enlarging the design by 20% to fit the Dart and other 0.5cc diesels. It was designed by J. T. Robson as a simple to build, trim and fly plane. A beauty she is not, but a functional fun machine to throw around Middle Wallop she is. I have produced both the original and the 120% drawing for you benefit (dead easy when using CAD).

As with all my tracings please be careful if you plan to build from them and double check all measurements before wielding the knife.

Enjoy,

Al
hogal is offline Find More Posts by hogal
Old Sep 18, 2012, 11:46 PM
Joined Feb 2010
68 Posts
Ambroid

Bought a big tube of Ambroid. Need it to apply leather fillets to full bodied stunt models. It does not permeate the fillet like CA or others. This allows the fillet to absorbe the dope and not billow at the meet point.

That's all beside the point. I couldn't imagine building a model with it. Now I can hardley wait to go back in time and use the Ambroid alone for a model.

It appears that more than half of the contributors to this forum are building FF models, rubber powered. This is most encouraging as this is the roots of modelling, or at least it was and the discipline req'd to trim and fly such models is advanced skill despite getting on point to building bigger models. I hope to add some bigger plans. I have yet to get any scanned.

QUESTION: When getting a plans scanned, should I ask for a pdf to "also" be saved at a bigger size file than the generous 3mb allowed here so that I can reproduce a print at a higher res later or share at a higher res where it permits?

Thanks, Lazy Bee building balsa Banger

BTW - Does anyone have a scan of the 60 inch Big Lazy Bee Wing Sheet or have a plan sheet for said wing that they will sell? I know that the 72 inch minus 2 rib bays will produce the same effect but it's just not the same.
bee banger is offline Find More Posts by bee banger
Old Sep 19, 2012, 08:21 AM
Joined May 2012
63 Posts
Welcome and let me introduce RWD-6

Hello to all vintage planes enhusiasts. Your collection and whole this thread is exeptional. Let me share with you something from my collection. This are drawings of RWD-6, polish sport plane which won international tourist aircraft contest Chalange 1932.
DukeRoger is offline Find More Posts by DukeRoger
Old Sep 19, 2012, 12:47 PM
Reduce the drama...
USA, OR, Damascus
Joined Apr 2004
4,044 Posts
DukeRoger;
Welcome to RCG!
Your drawings of RWD-6 are wonderful!
I am amazed at the details, especially the folding wing.
Thank you
Rick
rick.benjamin is offline Find More Posts by rick.benjamin