HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by orange&white, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Sep 05, 2012, 08:31 PM
Joined Feb 2010
68 Posts
GP not putting out

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnsPop View Post
Dynaflite was absorbed by Great Planes. They don't market the PT-19 anymore though..... shame.
I know that they absobed Carl Goldbergs RC stuff from Lanier. The Control-Line division was bought by Brodak and they have reproduced all the original Ukie models. It's unfortunate that no one producer isn't doing the doing the other cool models like the Junior Skylark, and the FF line of kits. I know that there is a Jr.Falcon kit from someone. I haven't searched for the others as I now have all the plans for them. I did parts sheets for the Jr. Facon and Jr. Skylark kits but they have been posted.

I wish Great Planes would produce Goldberg's Bucker Jungman Kit that flew so well. I need to check GP's product list and see what is available and complain to them about not making it. The last time I complained was when they used "Pilot Kits" 1/3.5 Pitts plan from the short lived kit they made in 1980 maybe and used it to produce the GP Pitts ARF. "Pilot's" factory burned in about '81 and they never rebuilt. The ARF flew beautifully and everbody thought it was an S1. People redecorated it as such without knowing it was a 2 seater. A pet peeve of mine. Anyone with the ARF can compare it to the plans on Outerzone. GP did use the wire gear in the first ones but went to a one piece with attached legs. A good idea.

Doesn't matter but why buy a company and not produce their best sellers. Unless they were their park -flyers. And that Dyna-Flite PT-19 and Chipmunk were big, great and affordable. An avid scratch builder, I did like kits that had good value and could be embellished as much as the modeler wanted. I'm done.

Cheers, Bill
bee banger is offline Find More Posts by bee banger
Last edited by bee banger; Sep 05, 2012 at 08:37 PM. Reason: spealink
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 05, 2012, 09:27 PM
Joined Feb 2010
68 Posts
Sterling E14 kit plan

Quote:
Originally Posted by giuseppi View Post
This is the plan for the Sterling E14 model picture I have posted. Sorry no patterns. I have the original plan. My uncle built one for a museum. He was my main inspiration for building models. Playing in his home with my cousin who 20 minutes younger than me and models hanging everywhere. He built my fathers RCAF instructors teaching aids. Super realistic Harvards and others. One that lost a wing somehow became an inseperable toy. Simply spellbound. When dragged to other people's homes flying models were often on display in living rooms and on display as special things. Mostly scale models, all flying models, and on display, beautifully detailed. Out of reach. Built by thinking talented men that needed an outlet for it. We also built boats when I was older. My father always gave full size boat building lessons on the various bases we lived on. There was always a work and tool shop on the base. The base accomodations were small. Even for ranking officers.

I must check my plan. It came from my uncle and may have the patterns on the back. If it does I'll be back. If it shows enough bullkheads to interpolate the others it can be done. Shown is the big Pilot Pitts I interpolated the missing parts from with the few sections shown on the plan. It just takes patience. Also I am in the DH82A shown. We couldn't loop it anymore. One old airplane.

EDIT:
Sorry Gents if I lead people to believe to believe I had either the PT-19 plans scanned or still had the Pitts Plans at all that I illustrated in the photo below. The (1/3.5" scale Pitts S2-A Photo Shown) was intended to demonstrate "one" method of interpolating or reverse engineering a Pilot, Sterling or Guillows type plan from a minimum of sections shown on the plan. The firewall is an important section to have but can be taken from a cowl possibly, but of the 12 bulkheads I have shown, there was the firewall and maybe 2 complete and 3 partial sections shown on the building sheet. I can't remember if there was a top view. In this method I used a baton to fair the fuselage into shape but if there were no sections shown it would be impossible to do with that method. Cross sections of the scale drawing could be used for same method a lot more easily. I never did build this Pitts and the plans that referred to on OZ for it were for a smaller scale I believe. This photo was from a scanned 35mm photo and was done in 2000. I gave the plans and patterns away before scanning the lot. It seemed back then like it would ever be worthwhile. Sorry. Pilot did include a full size pattern sheet in smaller models and I think a "reduced parts key sheet" with this kit. I never had this kit and the plan I had was poor but gold at the time. It goes against my core interests but at the time the ARF was identical and so well done. It was the logical answer at the time. It even had the bulkheads for the forward cockpit, not that it was opened up for the front seat. Later versions changed to eliminate unnessecary parts.

Cheers, Bill

http://www.hippocketaeronautics.com/...?image_id=2014
Last edited by bee banger; Sep 11, 2012 at 10:08 PM. Reason: spelling always spelling
Old Sep 05, 2012, 09:57 PM
CV-15 VB-16
USA, TX, Friendswood
Joined Jul 2007
1,371 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bee banger View Post
This is the plan for the Sterling E14 model picture I have posted. Sorry no patterns. I have the original plan. My uncle built one for a museum. He was my main inspiration for building models. Playing in his home with my cousin who 20 minutes younger than me and models hanging everywhere. He built my fathers RCAF instructors teaching aids. Super realistic Harvards and others. One that lost a wing somehow became an inseperable toy. Simply spellbound. When dragged to other people's homes flying models were often on display in living rooms and on display as special things. Mostly scale models, all flying models, and on display, beautifully detailed. Out of reach. Built by thinking talented men that needed an outlet for it. We also built boats when I was older. My father always gave full size boat building lessons on the various bases we lived on. There was always a work and tool shop on the base. The base accomodations were small. Even for ranking officers.

I must check my plan. It came from my uncle and may have the patterns on the back. If it does I'll be back. If it shows enough bullkheads to interpolate the others it can be done. Shown is the big Pilot Pitts I interpolated the missing parts from with the few sections shown on the plan. It just takes patience. Also I am in the DH82A shown. We couldn't loop it anymore. One old airplane.

Cheers, Bill

http://www.hippocketaeronautics.com/...?image_id=2014
Uh, oh!

Well, at least the WS was (almost) correct (32-7/8")

g
giuseppi is offline Find More Posts by giuseppi
Old Sep 05, 2012, 11:56 PM
Joined Feb 2010
68 Posts
Tigermoth

Quote:
Originally Posted by giuseppi View Post
Uh, oh!

Well, at least the WS was (almost) correct (32-7/8")

g
Your knowledge of the DH82 models is impressive. The plan you posted would be a better candidate for a diesel or glow engine and has a more rugged airframe in general. The 33 inch Sterling E14 is very light and intended for rubber with provisions for powered FF or CL with a Cox .020. to increase sales. I think many of this type make better static models.

If a builder with good trimming skills built the model from scratch using the kit parts as a guide and used SIG contest, or any real contest balsa and yellow colored tissue with a single coat of dope and employed all the other FF techniques it may fly okay. I built the Sterling Cub and many others. The Cub had about a 32 inch span with a TD .049 and Perfect tank. It had a nicely carved balsa cowl and I made a few little mods to it. Flew beautifully as a CL model. It wouldn't do the pattern but would loop and it looked Great!!! All these stick and tissue kits from Sterling and others had to be qualified on a kit by kit as to their highest and best use I think. But some guys can make anything fly so..... and it's not like anybody asked.

Cheers, Bill
Last edited by bee banger; Sep 05, 2012 at 11:58 PM. Reason: Carved an engine, right
Old Sep 06, 2012, 09:47 AM
Joined Oct 2011
37 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Winstanley View Post
Have you looked on the OUTERZONE web site - there are a few PT-19s there.

Mark.
Thanks Mike. Yes I have checked OUTERZONE but they do not have the California kit. I built that kit when I was eleven and flew it all through my teen years. I would like to build another one if I can find the plans.
Newt
Newtmagick is offline Find More Posts by Newtmagick
Old Sep 07, 2012, 04:54 PM
Joined Feb 2010
68 Posts
Sterling DH82C with patterns

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMCCOR7737 View Post
Where are the plans for the DH82C? Can you provide me a link? Thank you...
Here is the Sterlng E14 DH82C with parts patterns thanks to some kind soul. Fresh off OZ. The C version has the LG swept forward to offset the weight of canopy and tail wheel assembly. The A only has a skid.
Last edited by bee banger; Sep 07, 2012 at 04:55 PM. Reason: edit
Old Sep 07, 2012, 05:26 PM
LaGrange, GA
Joined Jun 2009
1,813 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bee banger View Post
Doesn't matter but why buy a company and not produce their best sellers.
I agree. I'm sure it's based on some "market analysis" they perform, but it sure is strange sometimes which ones they keep and which ones they dump.....
JohnsPop is offline Find More Posts by JohnsPop
Old Sep 07, 2012, 10:20 PM
United States, MD, Ellicott City
Joined Dec 2002
92 Posts
Quote:
Dynaflite was absorbed by Great Planes. They don't market the PT-19 anymore though..... shame.
If you go here they have the manual and the die-cut patterns.
http://manuals.hobbico.com/dyf/dyf-pt19-manual.pdf
http://www.dynaflite.com/manuals/index.html

Chris
ChrisB101 is offline Find More Posts by ChrisB101
Last edited by ChrisB101; Sep 07, 2012 at 10:32 PM.
Old Sep 07, 2012, 11:16 PM
Joined Feb 2010
68 Posts
Models Gone

Quote:
I agree. I'm sure it's based on some "market analysis" they perform, but it sure is strange sometimes which ones they keep and which ones they dump.....
We have a company up in Canada that has the lions share of the mail order market it seems and several new retail locations.

http://www.greathobbies.com/rcaircraft/

The kits section is listing mostly deleted products. Goldberg by Great Planes is all gone it shows. A whole lot of ARFs as well. This is a massive housekeeping by a growing retailer so something must be changing on a big level..
Old Sep 08, 2012, 06:08 AM
Italy, Lazio, Poggio Mirteto
Joined Apr 2012
33 Posts
Here is a rare one: the Baby Burd (1938). The original plan was given to me by David Baker through Danny Sheelds and I miss both of them.
I simply translated the captions in italian to publish it in Modellismo in the early ninities. The plan is unretouched. Enjoy.
Edimodel is offline Find More Posts by Edimodel
Old Sep 08, 2012, 12:44 PM
Joined May 2010
66 Posts
wright flier plan parade

Quote:
Originally Posted by paperplane View Post
Please help me in getting Wright flyer 1 model plans and drawings, where the rigging and control wire details are given. It will be great, if details of two counter rotating props are given as to which one was rotating clockwise if seen from front of the plane.

I am trying to make model of Wright flyer 1 plane with controls operational, for front rudder (elevator), rudder and wing warping with anhedral drooping wings, close to original plane
Here, a plan parade for Wright Flyers. I hope it will be useful.
regards Pit
p.balsi is online now Find More Posts by p.balsi
Old Sep 08, 2012, 04:17 PM
robinson727
USA, MS, Byhalia
Joined Nov 2010
114 Posts
All..
I'm looking for a little .020 freeflight produced by Berkley called Baby Yank. It was an early ARF with a printed profile fuselage and steam cambered sheet wings.. Flew well and a nice sport model, is there any info out there?
Thank you
Al
robinson727 is offline Find More Posts by robinson727
Old Sep 08, 2012, 08:58 PM
Joined Jul 2011
43 Posts
Ref: Wright flyer prop rotation. Left side prop rotates clockwise when seen from the front of aircraft. I happened to see a short film on starting it. Hope this helps.
One Cut is offline Find More Posts by One Cut
Old Sep 09, 2012, 05:37 PM
Editor - Flying Models
United States, CT
Joined Aug 2003
2,403 Posts
If you want a great PT-19 kit, you won't do better than the new 1/5 scale kit from Aviation Concepts. it began as a replacement wing or fuselage (I don't remember which) for an old Dynaflite airframe. As these things go, it made more sense in the end to just do the entire airframe.

http://www.hangtimes.com/aviationconcepts.html

Thayer
Thayer is offline Find More Posts by Thayer
Old Sep 09, 2012, 05:58 PM
Auckland New Zealand
Joined Aug 2004
932 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by One Cut View Post
Ref: Wright flyer prop rotation. Left side prop rotates clockwise when seen from the front of aircraft. I happened to see a short film on starting it. Hope this helps.
Maybe this short film. Just turn the volume off

http://www.europafilmtreasures.eu/PY...flying_machine
ColinNZ is offline Find More Posts by ColinNZ