HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by orange&white, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Jun 12, 2012, 11:02 PM
Model Designer - AMA 667982
Tucson, AZ, USA
Joined Sep 2000
1,939 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonquinn View Post
is there a problem with Outerzone? I haven't been able to view it today, and yesterday got to thefront page but couldn't download anything.

This is what I got.

The page cannot be displayed
The request cannot be processed at this time. The amount of traffic exceeds the Web site's configured capacity.
starcad is online now Find More Posts by starcad
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 13, 2012, 01:21 AM
Joined Jul 2011
182 Posts
Outerzone is back up and running now
Ratracer is offline Find More Posts by Ratracer
Old Jun 13, 2012, 02:40 AM
WMD
Bradford, UK
Joined Jan 2010
1,134 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratracer View Post
Outerzone is back up and running now
Morning, friends. Sorry. Outerzone does go down once in a while (say about once every 14 days). The short answer to this is - wait a bit, then come back later. About 6 hours later.

The longer answer is: like I say on the FAQ page - Because it is hosted on a budget server, to save on running costs. When Outerzone gets too busy, ie when many users are downloading many plans at the same time, the site will shut down for a few hours. Then it will pop back up again and everything will carry on as before. So if you can't access the site, the solution really is just to wait a few hours and come back later.

An even longer answer would be: I have just checked the download log for last night, and there were none between 01:56:33 and 07:12:16 (UK time). So that was the outage persiod, give or take a minute either way. Normally there are downloads in the log for every minute of every day. Total downloads (since 28/06/11) are 1,565,204. Last month the site overall got 1,438,886 hits.

I appreciate that downtime is a disturbance to users. But it's a free service, volunter run with no subscriptions and free access to all users. Downloads are free - and I am determined that they will be free for ever. A better hosting service will cost more money. I am not inclined to spend more of my money than I already am on hosting the site, not right now. But I am always happy to talk about how this might all work out in the future.

Steve
WMD is online now Find More Posts by WMD
Old Jun 13, 2012, 03:29 AM
Ελλάδα, Ανατολική Μακεδονία Θράκη, Βιστωνίδα
Joined Jul 2006
434 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by keven64 View Post
hlsat,

Thanks - that's great - but your link is 'all Greek' - to most of us

By the way - with respect - the English phrase is 'high wing' - not 'upwing'...

Keven.
Read the technical characteristics of Greek in the correct terminology in high wing if it bothers the terminology within the photo did not mind this detail.

Okay Keven we are Greeks and our communication language has features in our daily lives like yours. I understand the difficulty you can watch us but so are these. But if the will and pay a good effort all made in present day. All other beliefs that are simply excuses. The communication effort is the end result.

But Thanks for your efforts to those who visited.

Elijah.
hlsat is offline Find More Posts by hlsat
Last edited by hlsat; Jun 13, 2012 at 03:38 AM.
Old Jun 13, 2012, 03:43 AM
Model Designer
United Kingdom, England, Burnley
Joined Apr 2001
5,490 Posts
Elijah,

My recent comments were solely to illustrate that the use of translation sites does not work well.

I assumed that is what you use when translating (model) aeroplane terms...

...because if you did know more than the basic English - you would not have been calling high wing models 'upwing' all this time !

Keven.

edit: ...at times - even the English is "all Greek to me" - as above... ( ? ! ? )
...but this has no relevance to your efforts with the plans, eh ?
keven64 is offline Find More Posts by keven64
Last edited by keven64; Jun 13, 2012 at 08:56 AM. Reason: added comment
Old Jun 13, 2012, 03:55 AM
Flying Low
United States, VA, Petersburg
Joined Mar 2012
577 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by WMD View Post
Morning, friends. Sorry. Outerzone does go down once in a while (say about once every 14 days). The short answer to this is - wait a bit, then come back later. About 6 hours later.

The longer answer is: like I say on the FAQ page - Because it is hosted on a budget server, to save on running costs. When Outerzone gets too busy, ie when many users are downloading many plans at the same time, the site will shut down for a few hours. Then it will pop back up again and everything will carry on as before. So if you can't access the site, the solution really is just to wait a few hours and come back later.

An even longer answer would be: I have just checked the download log for last night, and there were none between 01:56:33 and 07:12:16 (UK time). So that was the outage persiod, give or take a minute either way. Normally there are downloads in the log for every minute of every day. Total downloads (since 28/06/11) are 1,565,204. Last month the site overall got 1,438,886 hits.

I appreciate that downtime is a disturbance to users. But it's a free service, volunter run with no subscriptions and free access to all users. Downloads are free - and I am determined that they will be free for ever. A better hosting service will cost more money. I am not inclined to spend more of my money than I already am on hosting the site, not right now. But I am always happy to talk about how this might all work out in the future.

Steve
Just checked out this site and it is sweet Found a sweet 100" wingspan Curtis Jenny. May be my next project after I finish the 30% Cap 232 I'm building.
cbarnes0061 is offline Find More Posts by cbarnes0061
Old Jun 13, 2012, 04:34 AM
Model Designer
United Kingdom, England, Burnley
Joined Apr 2001
5,490 Posts
Quote:
Steve said (snip)

Steve
I shall send you a message later - I need to go out immediately.

Keven.
keven64 is offline Find More Posts by keven64
Old Jun 13, 2012, 11:46 AM
Joined Jul 2011
182 Posts
Outerzone

It's only a miner inconvenience Steve.

All great website need a little downtime for maintenance every now and then.
Old Jun 13, 2012, 11:49 AM
MnM
Portugal, Porto
Joined Aug 2001
69 Posts
Outerzone: 1.5 million downloads!!! What would be even more amazing would be 1.5 million new models built and flying, but human nature is what it is (me included!!)

Elias, congratulations on your effort, don't worry about some tranlator quibbles that are not your responsibility anyway!
MnM is offline Find More Posts by MnM
Old Jun 13, 2012, 11:52 AM
MnM
Portugal, Porto
Joined Aug 2001
69 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibid View Post
Ah, yes. That's what Google Translate is for. It's not perfect but opens up the rest of the world that doesn't speak english to us.

Isn't that cool?
You got it the other way round. Most of the "rest of the world" speaks English (me included ), it's not our fault if you English native speakers speak no Restoftheworldish
MnM is offline Find More Posts by MnM
Old Jun 13, 2012, 12:28 PM
Joined Jul 2011
182 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MnM View Post
You got it the other way round. Most of the "rest of the world" speaks English (me included ), it's not our fault if you English native speakers speak no Restoftheworldish
Agreed

lbid
The bottom line is (Google Translator SUCKS)
Last edited by Ratracer; Jun 13, 2012 at 12:33 PM.
Old Jun 13, 2012, 12:58 PM
United States, WA, Eastsound
Joined Feb 2011
31 Posts
Google Translate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratracer View Post
Agreed

lbid
The bottom line is (Google Translator SUCKS)
It is easy to be critical of the imperfections inherent in such complex processes. The fact is the English language as spoken in north america is so littered with colloquial expressions as to make the process almost impossible. Try iliminating these expressions from your own conversation for even an hour and you will see the difficulty.
Ibid is offline Find More Posts by Ibid
Old Jun 13, 2012, 01:22 PM
Ελλάδα, Ανατολική Μακεδονία Θράκη, Βιστωνίδα
Joined Jul 2006
434 Posts
Elias, congratulations on your effort, don't worry about some tranlator quibbles that are not your responsibility anyway![/QUOTE]

Thanks frend.
hlsat is offline Find More Posts by hlsat
Old Jun 13, 2012, 04:07 PM
USA, Mt, Billings
Joined Mar 2009
316 Posts
re: Plecan Grumman Widgeon from Air Trails Dec 1942

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOISY MUSE View Post
**EDIT** Never mind Paul...I found and downloaded the most recent version. Just measuring it up on the monitor it looks like our X-Y problem is gone. Off to the printer...again. As they say, third time's a charm Thanks--SS
Got the plans printed, at 100% they come in at 39-11/6" which is WELL within rounding "error" for the designer to call 40". BTW printing at 101% nails 40" spot-on.

The not as good news...these appear to be pretty much for a static only model. For old free-flight birds I don't expect moving control surfaces, etc, but the plan shows no provisions for power at all, motor or rubber.

Ah well, looks like I get to "downsize" one of my larger plans.

Many thanks to pd1--we gave it a heck of a shot!!

Traveling for the last week and out another week. Visiting my folks, building a Dumas Ercoupe (design by Pat Tritle, prototype build thread here on RC Groups). Seems like a pretty neat kit, albeit modern (and a kit).
NOISY MUSE is online now Find More Posts by NOISY MUSE
Old Jun 13, 2012, 04:08 PM
USA, Mt, Billings
Joined Mar 2009
316 Posts
Double post--sorry. Not my computer.
NOISY MUSE is online now Find More Posts by NOISY MUSE