HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by orange&white, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Jun 02, 2012, 06:35 PM
Reduce the drama...
USA, OR, Damascus
Joined Apr 2004
4,044 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOISY MUSE View Post
In the mid-late 1970's I built a thermal duration glider (complete with DT fuse, etc) from plans. It was called the Quickee 2 (or Quickie A2, or....?) and I'd like to revisit that build. It flew quite well, especially for a first-time plans builder...I was ecstatic.
Has anyone seen a plan for this or, better yet, have one? I have no idea whether the plan is pre- or post-1960, if post-1960 please hit me up off-line.
Many thanks!
Scottrik
Scott
Algy2 posted it on 5 Sept 2011
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=5741
rick.benjamin is offline Find More Posts by rick.benjamin
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 03, 2012, 02:03 AM
USA, Mt, Billings
Joined Mar 2009
333 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by WMD View Post
Hi Scottrik,

Just had a look. You're right, that plan http://www.outerzone.co.uk/plan_details.asp?ID=308 seems highly unreliable. The wing panels are certainly scaled differently to each other, and I can't get either of them to fit correctly against the rib shown in the fuse side view. I recommend you simply ignore that version of the plan and refer to the alternative (more original) copy of the Plecan Widgeon plan at ID=653 ie here http://www.outerzone.co.uk/plan_details.asp?ID=653 - that's the one done by pd1.

Steve
Roger that--thanks Steve. At least I know it's not just "me"...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pd1 View Post
Scottrik
I redrew the Widgeon. The scan here is from an original plan not a magazine, so it should be a little more accurate. I added the missing wing and fuselage half.

Sometimes when working with the magazines, sections get scanned at different DPI. This can create scaling errors later. I suspect this could have happened on the other plan.

Sometimes when scanning, the paper doesn't always lay perfectly flat and small errors also creep in. Hopefully this one should be close. The wingspan is 40 inches.

If you need a larger printout, pm me your e mail address and I'll rescale it for you.

Paul
Many thanks Paul. I'll take this one in and get it printed. See where we're at when we've got it on paper and on the table.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Applehoney View Post
Scottrick - assume you mean Ray Monks' "Quickie" A/2 Aeromodeller March 1952.

Good airplane, builds fast, flys very well
Quote:
Originally Posted by rick.benjamin View Post
Scott
Algy2 posted it on 5 Sept 2011
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=5741
Sorry guys--that's not the one. I'd seen it before and hope sprang up...but no joy. Thanks much though. Easy to see where "Quickie A2" (A2 referring to a competition class) could be mistaken (in either direction) for Quickie 2 (by which I assume "2" refers to a second generation or some such).

The glider I built ...having to think back 35 or more years now and THAT is suspect at best...had a balsa-sheeted wing. If I recall it was thin sheet curved over ribs and a spar with steam, hope, and good ol' Testors Wood Glue in the green tube.
NOISY MUSE is offline Find More Posts by NOISY MUSE
Old Jun 03, 2012, 07:59 AM
sambino
Waterloo Ontario Canada
Joined Mar 2010
9 Posts
G44 Widgeon

Paul;
There is a problem with the drawing in that the X and Y coordinates are scaled differently. The wheel is a good reference... it measures about 1.9" across and 2.125 high.
Sam
yosemitealoha is offline Find More Posts by yosemitealoha
Old Jun 03, 2012, 09:00 AM
pd1
United States, MA, Haverhill
Joined Jun 2006
2,157 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by yosemitealoha View Post
Paul;
There is a problem with the drawing in that the X and Y coordinates are scaled differently. The wheel is a good reference... it measures about 1.9" across and 2.125 high.
Sam
I just checked the original scan. This is what I got for measurements:
Wheel Vertical 2.135
Horizontal 2.125
0.01 difference with Photoshop.

I then checked the wing /fuselage saddle to the chord of the wing from the wing plan.

Fuse plan measures 7.251
Wing plan root 7.309
difference of 0.058
A little less than 1/16 of an inch.

I also over layed rib 1 and rib 8 from the rib drawings onto the wing plan form and they fit length wise and spar spacing.
Tolerance within the drawn lines .

The plan is quite old and not in good condition, there could have been wrinkles or shrinkage to vary the drawings over all these years.
It looks like the plan is still build able.

I took these off the original scan, I think when I made the file smaller my computer shrunk the plan incorrectly.
I'll go back and see if I can get the file small enough to post without distortion..

ERROR FOUND

I redid the file and it now is correct.

Thanks for pointing the error out.

Paul
pd1 is offline Find More Posts by pd1
Last edited by pd1; Jun 03, 2012 at 09:17 AM.
Old Jun 06, 2012, 03:50 AM
New Zealand, Auckland, Papakura
Joined Nov 2006
362 Posts
Smoky

This Paul Plecan plan is from a very old (1947) Bill Winter's Plan book I have. Thought some may be interested in this old design. Has an interesting 'stepped' dihedral, something I haven't seen before.
Teals1 is offline Find More Posts by Teals1
Old Jun 06, 2012, 03:58 AM
Perth WA
Joined Feb 2007
1,041 Posts
Whilst on the Smokey theme.
Modelholic is offline Find More Posts by Modelholic
Old Jun 06, 2012, 05:18 AM
New Zealand, Auckland, Papakura
Joined Nov 2006
362 Posts
Thanks

Brilliant Modelholic. You must have the same book I do!!
Teals1 is offline Find More Posts by Teals1
Old Jun 06, 2012, 04:46 PM
USA, Mt, Billings
Joined Mar 2009
333 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pd1 View Post
IERROR FOUND[/B]
I redid the file and it now is correct.

Thanks for pointing the error out.

Paul
ARGH!!!!

I wish I'd seen this BEFORE I went and got the first "revised" plan printed. Got the wings the same size, and printing at 113% made the plan a 40" span per specification. There is definitely an X-Y scaling problem. My measurements on the plan show the wheel at 2-1/8" in the X and 2-3/8" in the Y. Then I chose a wing rib at random (W-4 as it turned out) and measured it on the wing plan (which shows the ribs parallel to the Y-axis) AND the rib pattern itself (which shows the rib parallel to the X-axis). The scaling error was pretty much identical with (from memory) the X-axis at 5-1/4" and the Y-axis at 5-7/8". The error is pretty much 1/8" for every linear inch, or twelve and a half percent.

At least I THINK I had downloaded the earlier revision.

Paul, could you do me an ENORMOUS favor and e-mail me the most recent update to noisymuse@gmail.com . Many many thanks--as I'd indicated this size is EXACTLY what I was looking for for a Widgeon (I've got two significantly larger plans) so I'd like to go with this one.

**EDIT** Never mind Paul...I found and downloaded the most recent version. Just measuring it up on the monitor it looks like our X-Y problem is gone. Off to the printer...again. As they say, third time's a charm Thanks--SS

Many thanks,

Scottrik
NOISY MUSE is offline Find More Posts by NOISY MUSE
Last edited by NOISY MUSE; Jun 06, 2012 at 04:57 PM.
Old Jun 07, 2012, 02:42 PM
WMD
Bradford, UK
Joined Jan 2010
1,244 Posts
Does anyone have any more (vintage) plans for the Piper PA-18 Super Cub? Have looked back through the index, and there are about twenty J3 cubs, but only the one PA-18 plan ...posted by Edubarca back here http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=2123 and that's nice, but that one somehow hasn't got me excited enough to start clearing the bench. The PA-18 came out in um 1949 I think, so there must be more plans out there..?
WMD is offline Find More Posts by WMD
Old Jun 07, 2012, 03:53 PM
UP ELEVATOR!!!! OOPS
Houston Tx.
Joined Jan 2006
92 Posts
Pa-18

OK, Web police got me.
Did not know these plans are being sold.
dhsmith1 is offline Find More Posts by dhsmith1
Last edited by dhsmith1; Jun 07, 2012 at 05:59 PM.
Old Jun 07, 2012, 04:10 PM
Edubarca
Colombia, South America
Joined Oct 2009
1,256 Posts
Quote:
Does anyone have any more (vintage) plans for the Piper PA-18 Super Cub? Have looked back through the index, and there are about twenty J3 cubs, but only the one PA-18 plan ...posted by Edubarca back here http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=2123 and that's nice, but that one somehow hasn't got me excited enough to start clearing the bench. The PA-18 came out in um 1949 I think, so there must be more plans out there..?
The Piper Super Cub posted by me some time ago, is an excellent model. It flies beautifully and is rather accurate. However, I agree with you. There has to be more plans for this classic airplane out there. Check the Guillow kit for the Piper Super Cub 95. It is extremely accurate and also flies very well although limited due to high weight. It can be enlarged with Photoshop or similar hardware, lighten the structure and build for RC. It will fly beautifully. If you want a copy of the plan write to me: edubarca1946@gmail.com. I cannot post it here because the kit is still been made. Good luck!!!
Edubarca is offline Find More Posts by Edubarca
Last edited by Edubarca; Jun 07, 2012 at 04:17 PM.
Old Jun 07, 2012, 07:30 PM
CV-15 VB-16
USA, TX, Friendswood
Joined Jul 2007
1,385 Posts
Quote:
Did you see this one @ OuterZone? Same plan but cleaner looking.

http://www.outerzone.co.uk/plan_details.asp?ID=737

Also, not sure where these came from but they were in my plans folder.

g
giuseppi is offline Find More Posts by giuseppi
Last edited by giuseppi; Jun 07, 2012 at 07:41 PM.
Old Jun 08, 2012, 02:23 AM
WMD
Bradford, UK
Joined Jan 2010
1,244 Posts
Hi giuseppi, and thanks. Yes, I have seen that plan at Outerzone thanks as it happens it was me that put the cleaned up plan onto there, yesterday. I was really hoping that some older pre-1960 plans would surface, but thanks for your help.

Steve
WMD is offline Find More Posts by WMD
Old Jun 08, 2012, 05:58 AM
Joined Sep 2011
69 Posts
Quote:
Does anyone have any more (vintage) plans for the Piper PA-18 Super Cub?
The plan for the 18 inch Sterling kit of the PA-18a Super Cub is on Hip Pocket at

http://www.hippocketaeronautics.com/...t_id=60&page=3

Roger
rogerc41 is offline Find More Posts by rogerc41
Old Jun 08, 2012, 07:03 PM
Scott R/C Time Pilot
NorthBend/Coos Bay,Oregon USA
Joined Dec 2009
1,492 Posts
Oops
orange&white is offline Find More Posts by orange&white