HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by orange&white, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old May 01, 2012, 10:34 PM
Joined Jan 2006
108 Posts
Chris, try here...

http://www.oldversion.com/PDFCreator.html
Couch-pilot is online now Find More Posts by Couch-pilot
to remove ads between posts
Old May 01, 2012, 10:42 PM
United States, MD, Ellicott City
Joined Dec 2002
92 Posts
Thank you Couch-pilot.
That's a good site, I'll save that one.

Chris
ChrisB101 is offline Find More Posts by ChrisB101
Old May 02, 2012, 12:27 AM
United States, WA, Eastsound
Joined Feb 2011
31 Posts
Large format PDF files

I use a MAC so this might not work on the other type of computer. Here is a trick I found a way to work around the limitations on PDF file format;

When I click print I have the option to output to a printer or create a PDF file. The PDF file format is limited to the printer specified. For example, the largest paper size my printer can handle is legal size. When I want to save a larger format I have to have a larger printer so that the computer accepts the format size that is larger than legal size. Since I don't have such an animal I trick my computer into thinking I do. I set up an alternate printer, like one of the large format roll printers HP makes. Since I don't actually have one or afford one, I tell the computer a little fib: it is connected via Blue Tooth. When I want large format PDF files, I specify this printer and I can make PDF files up to 68" wide (or is it more, I can't remember) and up to any length I want (how long is a roll of paper?). Then I hit print PDF which makes the PDF file in the format I asked for. The computer never went looking for the actual printer, just the printer driver and sure enough, big formats are OK so who cares, least of all my computer. The fact that I actually don't have such a printer is never an issue. The computer isn't fussy--it's lazy and never goes to see if I might have been kidding.

This may or may not work for you but sure does a fine job for me.I can Email the file to one of the copy houses and pick up the print at my convenience. I live on an island where the cost to print large format prints is double what it costs in town on the main land so this is a great way to go for me.
Ibid is offline Find More Posts by Ibid
Old May 02, 2012, 07:33 AM
Canada, ON, Hamilton
Joined Oct 2005
2,747 Posts
Tri-pacer, Sundancer, John38 and Applehoney- thanks for the help. Iíll try this first on a constant cord wing first (dropping the perpendiculars or stretching in cad). If Iím successful, then maybe onto a tapered wing. I have been known to make up new ďpartsĒ when I get the over whelming urge to just jump in with something new and cut up balsa. As an aside, for the larger models (more modern) I have often used a foam core and sliced off the ribs, finishing them off with cap strips. Makes for accurate ribs, quick, very light, and cheap.
Thanks everyone.
John
JohnAV8R is offline Find More Posts by JohnAV8R
Old May 02, 2012, 10:56 AM
Southampton, UK
Joined May 2007
868 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnAV8R View Post
. As an aside, for the larger models (more modern) I have often used a foam core and sliced off the ribs, finishing them off with cap strips. Makes for accurate ribs, quick, very light, and cheap.
Thanks everyone.
John
John,

see the video of my 3 times mamselle at 108" span here

Johns Mamselle (9 min 15 sec)

The 18 chord wing was built with ribs exactly as you intend to do and with capping to keep heat off when shrinking the solartex. Recently recovered with doped polyester dress lining and to keep the dope away from the foam, I capped the 1/2" wide 1/16th capping with another cap 1/4" wide to act as a step to absorb any dope that got thru the fabric - worked ok but I may just have been lucky.

when I hot wired the long blank, I cut the spar slots at the same time - slightly undersized and just smeared some pva in and squeezed the spars home into the ribs - easiest wing I ever built. I did do a test rig 1st just to check everything out. I used cheapie white foam ( £2 for a big sheet ) 1" thick and cut blanks which were then bolted together for hot wiring.

Before I recovered the model, I was experiening heavy washin only on one wing whenever the model sat in the sun - I put it down to not enough stiffness added by the solartex to the foam ribs wing ( it was a standing joke at the field when I twisted the wing the other way by about 6" to take the warp out enough to fly before each flight. ) Why only one wing and not both ???? Make sure air can expand thru all the wing bay sections to a vent point

still to get a new video of it as the video above is over 20 yrs old

enjoy your project

john
John38 is offline Find More Posts by John38
Old May 02, 2012, 01:48 PM
Canada, ON, Hamilton
Joined Oct 2005
2,747 Posts
Thanks John.
Nice video. Looks like you certainly had a very enjoyable evening. The white glue used for wood (Weldwood) works well for me and also seals the foam. I've been able to lightly dust "dope" over the glued area. Bill will be happy to hear that you also used "foam ribs".
John
Old May 02, 2012, 04:30 PM
Canada, ON, Hamilton
Joined Oct 2005
2,747 Posts
Man 1958

Gaucho
Sorry I could not load the article, kept getting timed out!
Model uses reversible dihedral on the wing.
john
Old May 02, 2012, 04:40 PM
Canada, ON, Hamilton
Joined Oct 2005
2,747 Posts
MAN page 8, 9

Gaucho,
MAN 1958, pages 8, 9
Old May 02, 2012, 04:51 PM
Canada, ON, Hamilton
Joined Oct 2005
2,747 Posts
The Champ- MAN 1958

Rubber power-FF, the Champ.
John
Old May 02, 2012, 06:33 PM
skumgummi dave
Gresham, OR.
Joined Mar 2004
1,959 Posts
John:

Thanks for the Champ plan. It is a beaut!

Dave-
foamdave is offline Find More Posts by foamdave
Old May 03, 2012, 04:31 PM
United Kingdom, Tonbridge
Joined Oct 2011
199 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by WMD View Post
Hogal will have read this by now and (international man of mystery that he is) will either be on the case already, or will be busy with some other project that most likely involves blondes, a gyrocopter, some evil henchmen and lots of explosions.
'An International man of mystery' well I've been called many things before but never that. It may, however, be a bit appropriate at the moment - I've been swanning around parts of the German FachWerk Strassen and some of the towns I was posted to, longer ago that I really like to think possible, for the last 2 weeks or so on my motorbike. Now I'm back and have to start catching up on everything.

The Bowden Contest - interesting!!! Let me finish the Rudder Bug first then I'll have a crack at it - if I can find a decent scan in the first place.

It's great to be back but a shame the bickering still goes on - of course I just skip it and move on.

Al
hogal is offline Find More Posts by hogal
Old May 03, 2012, 11:20 PM
Ashford. Kent. England
Joined Feb 2005
7,023 Posts
cutepdf is another free pdf maker.. that works for me... it works from the print options where you select it as your printer.. it says its printing then opens a save window
davereap is online now Find More Posts by davereap
Old May 04, 2012, 06:09 PM
Joined Oct 2011
9 Posts
de BOLT AIRFOILER

A friend just handed me two old boxes and wanted some explaination what they were. He knew that they were old airplane kits but knew next to nothing re: this. I now have what looks like a complete deBOLT "AIRFOILER" and an EAGLE MODEL AIRCRAFT CO. "The Wanderer" that is not so complete. Does anyone have or could someone point me to a set of plans for "The Wanderer" looks like the rodents had a feast on those in the box.

Bob
bigrip74 is offline Find More Posts by bigrip74
Old May 04, 2012, 06:32 PM
Got Foam?
United States, TN, Greeneville
Joined Sep 2011
283 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigrip74 View Post
A friend just handed me two old boxes and wanted some explaination what they were. He knew that they were old airplane kits but knew next to nothing re: this. I now have what looks like a complete deBOLT "AIRFOILER" and an EAGLE MODEL AIRCRAFT CO. "The Wanderer" that is not so complete. Does anyone have or could someone point me to a set of plans for "The Wanderer" looks like the rodents had a feast on those in the box.

Bob
Is it one of these?
http://www.outerzone.co.uk/search/re...&Submit=Search
mjcmyers is offline Find More Posts by mjcmyers
Old May 04, 2012, 11:54 PM
Reduce the drama...
USA, OR, Damascus
Joined Apr 2004
4,044 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigrip74 View Post

Bob
Bob
"Planeman" posted a pdf of Wanderer in post 1
"Dekan" posted the article in post 5
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1261795
You can buy the full size paper plan (20394) from AMA
http://www.modelaircraft.org/plans/plans.aspx
rick.benjamin is offline Find More Posts by rick.benjamin
Last edited by rick.benjamin; May 05, 2012 at 12:15 AM. Reason: add ama link