HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by orange&white, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Oct 24, 2010, 04:48 PM
Telford,PA.USA
Joined Apr 2007
77 Posts
American Aircraft Modeler went out in the early 70's, no one has picked up that line to sell and the only ones I have seen offered pop up on the web or in the AMA plans that were once John Ponds. Makes me wonder what the status is on them and if the masters still exist.
dartgw is offline Find More Posts by dartgw
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 24, 2010, 07:22 PM
Edubarca
Colombia, South America
Joined Oct 2009
1,260 Posts
Hello, do you still need Berkeley's F8U and B25? I have them. I can scan and email them to you. Let me know to my email edubarca1946@gmail.com. Greetings from Colombia!!
Eduardo
Edubarca is offline Find More Posts by Edubarca
Old Oct 25, 2010, 12:52 AM
High Exalted Poohbah
Atlanta, GA USA
Joined Sep 2001
1,884 Posts
Here is the Grumman Gulfhawk by Comet plan that was posted a few post back cleaned up. I'm a Comet fan and just had to do it. Its VERY detailed!

Planeman
planeman is offline Find More Posts by planeman
Old Oct 25, 2010, 01:49 AM
Be Happy, Lower Your Standards
Mosier, Oregon
Joined Oct 2004
181 Posts
You guys are correct. As an owner of several copyrights I can tell you that the copyright is only as good as your willingness to defend it. In the last case I heard of it cost $50,000 just for a cease and desist order.

Millions of dollars must be a stake before it is worth defending a copyright.

Royalties from copyrights are usually in the 2% range. Walt Disney is a huge exception, they charge 8%. A million dollars (USD) in sales would generate $20,000 to the copyright owner.

No money is being made by these plans posted here. If there is a copyright owner of these plans we owe it to them to pay them a small fee, a few dollars at best.

Paul McCartney (sp) owns the copyright to the graduate school I attended, the University of Wisconsin-Madison. Every time we sang "On Wisconsin" we had to pay him $35. When I was there, the university tried to get him to sell it back to the school, but he wouldn't give it up.

But I still agree with Planeman, we should not offer plans here that have a questionable copyright ownership; as a matter of courtesy if nothing else.

Arthur
kineticartist is offline Find More Posts by kineticartist
Old Oct 25, 2010, 07:02 AM
Joined Aug 2010
9 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by planeman View Post
Here is the Grumman Gulfhawk by Comet plan that was posted a few post back cleaned up. I'm a Comet fan and just had to do it. Its VERY detailed!

Planeman
Wow - now that is a beauty. When you see it all joined up like that you can appreciate the complexity of the kit and the designer's obvious love of the subject. It's a masterpiece. And I see you cleaned up all the printwood scans, too. Thank you!
Stu B is offline Find More Posts by Stu B
Old Oct 25, 2010, 08:21 AM
pd1
United States, MA, Haverhill
Joined Jun 2006
2,157 Posts
Planeman, thanks for cleaning up the Gulfhawk. The original is blue lined on very yellowed paper and I spent a couple days on it. Yours looks so much nicer.

Paul
pd1 is offline Find More Posts by pd1
Old Oct 25, 2010, 10:47 AM
East Anglia, UK
Joined Sep 2002
29,705 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kineticartist View Post
You guys are correct. As an owner of several copyrights I can tell you that the copyright is only as good as your willingness to defend it. In the last case I heard of it cost $50,000 just for a cease and desist order.

Millions of dollars must be a stake before it is worth defending a copyright.
In other words, 'publish and be damned'.
If someone is really upset and can clearly prove title, take the plans down. Really, the true situation is that no one cares much.
vintage1 is offline Find More Posts by vintage1
Old Oct 25, 2010, 11:16 AM
Fly Lite Fly Right
Joined Aug 2004
1,150 Posts
65 Inch Boynton Plans

Hi all
These plans came to me by way of Ted Petrolia and look to be copies from an original pencil drawn plan .
Can't say enough about Ted , we are suppose to meet sometime this winter .

Span 65 -- Area 664 -- CL OT Type PY -- Designer Boynton -- Date 1941
Happymcc is offline Find More Posts by Happymcc
Last edited by Happymcc; Nov 01, 2010 at 08:53 AM.
Old Oct 25, 2010, 11:21 AM
High Exalted Poohbah
Atlanta, GA USA
Joined Sep 2001
1,884 Posts
PD1 you spent a couple of days on cleaning up the Comet Gulfhawk and I know I spent a LOT of time cleaning up the Gulfhawk. That plan must mean a lot to both of us. Thanks for your efforts. The Gulfhawk lives again!

Planeman
planeman is offline Find More Posts by planeman
Old Oct 25, 2010, 11:28 AM
pd1
United States, MA, Haverhill
Joined Jun 2006
2,157 Posts
Fokker D VII and D VIII

Fokker D VII and D VIII
pd1 is offline Find More Posts by pd1
Last edited by pd1; Dec 02, 2010 at 10:24 AM.
Old Oct 25, 2010, 11:31 AM
Since 1952
Canada, AB, Edmonton
Joined Oct 2004
1,373 Posts
Regardless of copyright legalities, whether in reality anyone would actually pursue an infringement, and so on, we still need to be very, very careful here. It seems that RCG admin will not hesitate to instantly pull a thread - no questions asked - if there is even one complaint, or the slightest possibility of a copyright-related problem. As other RCG members can attest to.

This thread is too valuable to lose. So far everyone has been very sensible about it. Let's keep it that way.
Harry D is offline Find More Posts by Harry D
Old Oct 25, 2010, 11:43 AM
AMA 964040
USA, MA, Worcester
Joined Oct 2008
221 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vintage1 View Post
In other words, 'publish and be damned'.
If someone is really upset and can clearly prove title, take the plans down. Really, the true situation is that no one cares much.
True, Vintage. I would be absolutely amazed if any kind of actual legal action resulted from something posted in this thread. I don't think anyone here should have any worries about that at all. The issue, however, is if RCG is going to yank this thread. That, unfortunately, is much more likely to happen if there is even a whiff of a copyright infringement issue. So, by all means, post plans that are not under current copyright, and, if unsure, you can always put up a post that says you have a copy of the plan available for anyone who wants it by email. Also, don't hesitate to yank a plan if anyone thinks there might be an issue with it.

In other words, don't worry about getting in trouble, but DO worry about losing this thread. The point at which someone takes issue with the copyright of a plan in one of our posts may be too late.

By the way, thank you to everyone who has contributed to this thread, especially Rufus. I have been very busy scaling and printing many of these plans lately, and I will now officially never run out of planes to build. Of course, there was no chance of that even before this thread.

Keep up the great work, gentlemen. Even though I have no hope of ever building all of these, I can't wait to see what comes up next!
MAP123 is offline Find More Posts by MAP123
Old Oct 25, 2010, 11:46 AM
AMA 964040
USA, MA, Worcester
Joined Oct 2008
221 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry D View Post
Regardless of copyright legalities, whether in reality anyone would actually pursue an infringement, and so on, we still need to be very, very careful here. It seems that RCG admin will not hesitate to instantly pull a thread - no questions asked - if there is even one complaint, or the slightest possibility of a copyright-related problem. As other RCG members can attest to.

This thread is too valuable to lose. So far everyone has been very sensible about it. Let's keep it that way.
Thanks, Harry, I agree. It seems we were typing the same thing at the same time.
MAP123 is offline Find More Posts by MAP123
Old Oct 25, 2010, 12:14 PM
East Anglia, UK
Joined Sep 2002
29,705 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAP123 View Post
True, Vintage. I would be absolutely amazed if any kind of actual legal action resulted from something posted in this thread. I don't think anyone here should have any worries about that at all. The issue, however, is if RCG is going to yank this thread.
I doubt it. More likely to delete the offending posts.
Anyway I am sure I can find space somewhere for all the plans, online, if needs be.

Quote:
That, unfortunately, is much more likely to happen if there is even a whiff of a copyright infringement issue. So, by all means, post plans that are not under current copyright, and, if unsure, you can always put up a post that says you have a copy of the plan available for anyone who wants it by email. Also, don't hesitate to yank a plan if anyone thinks there might be an issue with it.
Reasonable.
Quote:
In other words, don't worry about getting in trouble, but DO worry about losing this thread. The point at which someone takes issue with the copyright of a plan in one of our posts may be too late.

By the way, thank you to everyone who has contributed to this thread, especially Rufus. I have been very busy scaling and printing many of these plans lately, and I will now officially never run out of planes to build. Of course, there was no chance of that even before this thread.

Keep up the great work, gentlemen. Even though I have no hope of ever building all of these, I can't wait to see what comes up next!
No, indeed. Its more a question of 'what planes would you die utterly miserable never having built...?'
vintage1 is offline Find More Posts by vintage1
Old Oct 25, 2010, 01:17 PM
Fly Lite Fly Right
Joined Aug 2004
1,150 Posts
No, indeed. Its more a question of 'what planes would you die utterly miserable never having built...?

LOL
I also would hate to see anything happen to this thread .
Though I am an RC'er I like to have one OT'er around for when you just want to
relax .
Happymcc is offline Find More Posts by Happymcc