HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by orange&white, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Jan 31, 2012, 06:54 AM
Southampton, UK
Joined May 2007
792 Posts
"WMD
Does anyone have the article text to go with this? I'd like to read that."

WMD,

Is this what you want which is for the Mk3 design, whereas I think the plan you have put up is the MkIV
I have now attached the build instructions for what I think is the MkIV which is the grey pages.
If anyone has the more detailed instructions for the MKIV , they would be appreciated

I have got the MkIV parts laser cut to start in the not too distant future altho I altered the construction to similar to Vic Smeed's Mamselle construction based on crutch and full size formers.

A picture of the Mercury (mkIV I think) can be seen in this video -

Vintage Model Flying (7 min 46 sec)

( plug for my eaglet flying as well as a brief appearance of yours truly having a sandwich with my 3 models in front - KK Eaglet, Southerner ( 60 scaled to 72" ) and Majestic Major )

John
John38 is online now Find More Posts by John38
Last edited by John38; Jan 31, 2012 at 07:14 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 31, 2012, 06:59 AM
GEE,...it BEE model time
Interlochen, MI
Joined Dec 2009
1,660 Posts
Thank you, John38, for the Mercury instructions! This really is a beautiful vintage model.

Soft landings,

Joe
piperjoe is offline Find More Posts by piperjoe
Old Jan 31, 2012, 07:59 AM
USA, Mt, Billings
Joined Mar 2009
323 Posts
SURELY pretty much every model plan ever produced has found it's way into this thread, so maybe I'm out of luck...but...

Does anyone have a plan (pref. 40-60"-ish) for a Curtiss "Pusher", something Model A to Model D, 1910-14 range?

Alternatively, an Ingram-Foster ca. 1914 which was pretty much a clone of the Model D "headless"?

The Curtiss is fairly significant historically...the earlier version was the first plane to cross the Continental Divide outside Helena, MT (lowest pass on the Divide) flown by Cromwell Dixon.

The somewhat later version was flown off the roof of the (then) new Multnomah Hotel in DT Portland, OR. This flight was recreated in 1995 by the director of restorations from WAAM who was the guest speaker at my dad's flying club's banquet a couple weeks ago before he had to dash off to make sure snow didn't sink his float plane on the Columbia River.

Anyway...if anyone can help with plans I'd very much appreciate it.

Thanks!
NOISY MUSE is offline Find More Posts by NOISY MUSE
Old Jan 31, 2012, 08:19 AM
WMD
Bradford, UK
Joined Jan 2010
1,139 Posts
Thanks John38, that's good stuff. It's interesting to see some background on the Mercury. A very pretty design, I like this one a lot.

Steve
WMD is online now Find More Posts by WMD
Old Jan 31, 2012, 09:24 AM
Making wood fly since 2007
USA, MN, Rochester
Joined Mar 2008
2,450 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Agassiz View Post
...Until and unless that happens I'm for for having a ball and posting everything we can lay our hands on...

Sam
The good moderators here at RCGroups will disagree with you on this one. There was another thread started somewhere here and it was for plans from the 70's I believe and the moderators shut it down almost as soon as the first plans were posted. Believe me when I say this thread is being monitored for copyright violations. Stick to the rules and all will be good, stray too far and .....

Wayne
Windependence is offline Find More Posts by Windependence
Old Jan 31, 2012, 10:49 AM
Ashford. Kent. England
Joined Feb 2005
6,836 Posts
copyright....where do we stand?????
davereap is offline Find More Posts by davereap
Old Jan 31, 2012, 11:05 AM
Ashford. Kent. England
Joined Feb 2005
6,836 Posts
And then I think ... its all a mess cause its copyrighted hobby material......it fair does my head in ..lol
davereap is offline Find More Posts by davereap
Old Jan 31, 2012, 11:07 AM
Just Me
United States, OR, Salem
Joined Apr 2006
819 Posts
Copyright....Copyright....Copyright....

Here we go again...
Brner is offline Find More Posts by Brner
Old Jan 31, 2012, 11:24 AM
AMA 667982 KG7NKY
Tucson, AZ, USA
Joined Sep 2000
1,973 Posts
MAN August 1955 Ken Willard - Breezy

MAN August 1955 Ken Willard - Breezy

Sorry guys as this was the best I could do as my time was limited today. Have to go save the internet in a few minutes called in early something big happening.
starcad is online now Find More Posts by starcad
Old Jan 31, 2012, 11:25 AM
Joined Jan 2009
1,422 Posts
"The somewhat later version was flown off the roof of the (then) new Multnomah Hotel in DT Portland, OR. This flight was recreated in 1995 by the director of restorations from WAAM who was the guest speaker at my dad's flying club's banquet a couple weeks ago before he had to dash off to make sure snow didn't sink his float plane on the Columbia River."

Since 2007, WAAM is now the home of my 1938 Areonca KCA. I sure miss her.

http://www.popularaviation.com/PhotoGallery/3646.JPG
packardpursuit is offline Find More Posts by packardpursuit
Last edited by packardpursuit; Jan 31, 2012 at 11:27 AM. Reason: add link
Old Jan 31, 2012, 12:02 PM
Sticks, Tissue & old Diesels
France, Centre, Amboise
Joined Nov 2011
1,517 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by WMD View Post
Thanks John38, that's good stuff. It's interesting to see some background on the Mercury. A very pretty design, I like this one a lot.

Steve
Hi Steve and John38,
A couple of remarks...
I think David Boddington, while on visit to South Africa, persuaded Mick Smith to provide the Mk III version, to allow AMI to publish the Mercury without treading on anyone's toes. The III and IV are very similar, but the IV has a deeper fuselage, which looks nicer.
The March 63 Aeromodeller does state that full instructions are issued with each plan, as was normal at the time. However, it's a pretty straightforward (easy) model to build, and I don't think any vintage builder today would need instructions.
Finally, Vintage1 has done it again... The drawing is great (so is John Coasby's original), but how did Mick Smith become "RH"?
I'm sure I've seen a photo of a Mk II in an early Aeromodeller and, while looking for it, I found photos and text for the Mk III, in the AM June 1946!
Brian
brokenenglish is online now Find More Posts by brokenenglish
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by brokenenglish; Jan 31, 2012 at 01:11 PM.
Old Jan 31, 2012, 12:03 PM
AMA 667982 KG7NKY
Tucson, AZ, USA
Joined Sep 2000
1,973 Posts
Jerry Nelson - Qualifier

Jerry Nelson - Qualifier - A quickie from the scanned image sorry about the quality.
starcad is online now Find More Posts by starcad
Old Jan 31, 2012, 12:13 PM
Master
Weilbach, Germany
Joined May 2001
2,467 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke S View Post
Moving right along,

here is what can only be described as a CL ekranoplan from the Soviet magazine Modelist Konstruktor.
Luke

Do you have a scan of the Ekranoplan build article (I understand a little Russian).
It was posted on Page 448.

This model is fabulous !

I can't work out how the front trim flap is supposed to be set. There seems to be a set of holes on the motor pylon and a deliberate gap between the flap and the wing.

Chris P
ChrisP is offline Find More Posts by ChrisP
Old Jan 31, 2012, 12:31 PM
Joined Mar 2005
227 Posts
@Windependence #8345

Moderators call the shots. Their decisions might not survive strict legal scrutiny, but it ain't worth testing it. That's why I've been a good boy and asked for a ruling on '61 stuff ;-)

Sam
Sam Agassiz is offline Find More Posts by Sam Agassiz
Old Jan 31, 2012, 02:26 PM
United Kingdom, Tonbridge
Joined Oct 2011
190 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by WMD View Post
Mercury, by RH Smith - 8ft span power model suitable for radio control. 1250 sq in area. Weight 80oz. Power 10-16cc motors. From Aeromodeller March 1953.

This would keep you busy in the shed for a while. Need a big shed, too.

This plan was posted as raw scans back here - http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...82&postcount=8 by vintage1, back in 2008. I have just stumbled upon it now, and done some stitching/cleaning.

Does anyone have the article text to go with this? I'd like to read that.
Lets try this then. I haven't drawn the plan up because the article cunningly overlaid the two sheets.

Mercury Text
hogal is offline Find More Posts by hogal