HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by orange&white, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Dec 23, 2011, 10:47 AM
AMA 667982 KG7NKY
Tucson, AZ, USA
Joined Sep 2000
2,004 Posts
Here is something really neat. The software that powers this forum has a really neat feature that I just discovered while searching for a design in this long thread. While your in this thread up in the upper right under the pages there is a pull down 'Thread Tool' click on the down arrow and then click on 'Show Attachments in this Thread'. You will be presented with an amazing art gallery that will aid in searching for that perfect design.

Enjoy!

starcad is offline Find More Posts by starcad
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 23, 2011, 12:17 PM
Recycled Modeller
Dungiven, Northern Ireland
Joined Apr 2008
235 Posts
Yes, please keep it .pdf
Wilf is offline Find More Posts by Wilf
Old Dec 23, 2011, 12:21 PM
Recycled Modeller
Joined Apr 2008
235 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by starcad View Post
Here is something really neat. The software that powers this forum has a really neat feature that I just discovered while searching for a design in this long thread. While your in this thread up in the upper right under the pages there is a pull down 'Thread Tool' click on the down arrow and then click on 'Show Attachments in this Thread'. You will be presented with an amazing art gallery that will aid in searching for that perfect design.

Enjoy!

Hey, that's amazing! as you say it makes finding a particular plan SO much easier! Thanks for passing on the information!
Old Dec 23, 2011, 12:23 PM
I like real wooden aeroplanes!
South-west France
Joined Sep 2007
4,779 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by starcad View Post

Enjoy!

Well spotted Guy, that IS extremely cool! Amazing I have been around the forum for so long and never thought to try it - thanks!
Sundancer is online now Find More Posts by Sundancer
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 23, 2011, 12:30 PM
United States, IL, Edinburg
Joined Dec 2010
162 Posts
Alternatives to Photoshop

I also do plans work in bitmap format and archive master copies of my raw magazine plan scans and my finished plans as greyscale TIFFs. I use Paint Shop Pro 5.01 for the bitmap work, which I obtained free from Jasc back in the day as a gratuity for beta testing I did on it. My copy of Paint Shop Pro is circa 1998 and I am still able to run it under Windows 7.

But for publishing full size plans and taking them to the blueprint shop, there is no substitute for PDF format. I use OpenOffice.org 3.1.1 by Sun Microsystems with a PDF plug-in for importing my master TIFFs, scaling them, and exporting in PDF format. OpenOffice can also import PDFs and save them as bitmaps such as TIFF. OpenOffice provides a very powerful suite of Microsoft Office compatible applications, and it is free.

I'm sure Photoshop would be nice to have and I certainly wouldn't turn it down for free. But I'm a person of modest means and there's no way I can justify the cost of Photoshop for recreational use doing what I can otherwise do with free applications. If the day ever comes that my much beloved Paint Shop Pro becomes so antique I can no longer run it on a contemporary PC, I'll just have to bite the bullet and get further along the learning curve of GIMP.

Bob Keller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thermaler View Post
For me it is easier to work in TIFF format but PDF is the BEST way to save and share. I don't like/haven't learned that much about Photoshop but have been using Paintshop Pro 7 for 15 years.
I use Paintshop Pro 7 for the tiff work, then to PhotoShop 7 which I picked up on fleabay for $27 to save as PDF.
I have recently picked up Paintshop Pro X3 for $15 bucks on fleabay which will open a pdf file. Files can be saved as PSD which can be opened and then saved as PDF in Photoshop 7.
So I say let's keep the PDF format and use what we know/have/can get cheap to fiddle with the files to our hearts content.
Joe
scaleviews.com is offline Find More Posts by scaleviews.com
Old Dec 23, 2011, 01:08 PM
Joined Jul 2011
43 Posts
Merry Christmas

Merry Christmas everyone and a Happy New Year!
Since joining this site it's been almost like Christmas every day. Thanks to EVERYONE who has made all this possible.
One Cut
One Cut is offline Find More Posts by One Cut
Old Dec 23, 2011, 02:06 PM
Just call me crash for short
United States, OH, The Plains
Joined Jan 2011
1,692 Posts
Giving it some thought, I do not think the pdf format is going anywhere. There is open source pdf code out there - http://sourceforge.net/directory/os:linux/?q=pdf - and sense it is used by most modern governments around the world for electronically distributing their documents and forms, any attempt to pull the format now would be an exercise in futility. The only way it would / could be replaced would be with something new that possessed a major leap in technology. At that point, someone would produce a batch converter that would make the transition 'a few mouse clicks' easy. In the end, I think the .pdf format is safe.

Mark
Quick61 is offline Find More Posts by Quick61
Old Dec 23, 2011, 03:37 PM
Colorado Springs, CO
Joined Mar 2008
105 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by scaleviews.com View Post
I also do plans work in bitmap format and archive master copies of my raw magazine plan scans and my finished plans as greyscale TIFFs. I use Paint Shop Pro 5.01 for the bitmap work, which I obtained free from Jasc back in the day as a gratuity for beta testing I did on it. My copy of Paint Shop Pro is circa 1998 and I am still able to run it under Windows 7.

But for publishing full size plans and taking them to the blueprint shop, there is no substitute for PDF format. I use OpenOffice.org 3.1.1 by Sun Microsystems with a PDF plug-in for importing my master TIFFs, scaling them, and exporting in PDF format. OpenOffice can also import PDFs and save them as bitmaps such as TIFF. OpenOffice provides a very powerful suite of Microsoft Office compatible applications, and it is free.

I'm sure Photoshop would be nice to have and I certainly wouldn't turn it down for free. But I'm a person of modest means and there's no way I can justify the cost of Photoshop for recreational use doing what I can otherwise do with free applications. If the day ever comes that my much beloved Paint Shop Pro becomes so antique I can no longer run it on a contemporary PC, I'll just have to bite the bullet and get further along the learning curve of GIMP.

Bob Keller
Open Office is looking more and more attractive as a MicroCrap alternative. I still use an official MS Office ver 2.0, which is the last one that didn't require an Authentication Code to install. As I replace computers and OS I reinstall it. Of course, it won't open or import a PDF file.

I too keep using PSP-5.01. I have newer versions also, but I don't like clicking into endless layers of options for a simple tool, so 5.01 gets the most use, as it is so easy to use. New doesn't always mean better...

Adobe Acrobat 4 will open most but not all PDF files, which I can save as a PNG for rescaling and editing. Opening newer CAD files isn't possible in
older AutoCad, either, so these PDF issues aren't unique. A Photoshop purchase is chicken feed compared to buying a newer AutoCad!

Since most everyone here is in lockstep on PDF and Photoshop, I'll continue to quietly download the files of interest and save them as PNG in my archive. I posted a few of my yellowed Aeromodeller plans as a PDF a while back but don't think I'll do that any more.

Yeah, looks like GIMP is great software, so I'll get it and see what's out there for a learning forum.

In support of PDF format, the local Staples will process a PDF file but can't open any bitmap, as the management denies the copy center access to any Windows/System 7 applets! I think they are using Acrobat Reader. The only caveat is that your PDF better be the original plan size, or youbetter know how much you want the print resized. I intend to ask Office Max and the other copy places in town about what they can and can't print for me, format-wise.

For printing on my home printer[s] I use 'PosteRazor', a freebie tile maker program that is very easy to use. My one disappointment with it is that it doesn't provide a dashed line border to easy cutting and pasting things together.

Sooo, I see that I need to investigate the various programs suggested in this forum and upgrade my software 'stable' accordingly.

- Erik
Ka-6BR is offline Find More Posts by Ka-6BR
Old Dec 23, 2011, 04:29 PM
WMD
Bradford, UK
Joined Jan 2010
1,196 Posts
Tutorial

I've finished and posted the 'Little Herbie' Photoshop tutorial now onto outerzone if that's of any interest. It's at http://www.outerzone.co.uk/tutorials/04/index.asp and shows dealing with blueprint style plans (invert) and some simple stitching together of plan sections with layers. Thanks again to pertime for the suggestion.

Ideally I'd love to see someone writing similar (mirrored?) tutorials for GIMP or PSP that I could post in parallel, that would be great. Then we'd have everything covered.
WMD is offline Find More Posts by WMD
Old Dec 23, 2011, 06:26 PM
Recycled Modeller
Joined Apr 2008
235 Posts
A very Merry Christmas and the best of New Years to everyone here, thanks for all your unstinting work on everyone's behalf
Old Dec 23, 2011, 07:52 PM
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined Nov 2010
619 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by brokenspar View Post
Two Sal Taibi designs from the Roland Friestad co-op.
Hi, Is there a tailplane drawing for the spacer? or have I missed something?
kkphantom is offline Find More Posts by kkphantom
Old Dec 23, 2011, 07:56 PM
NOT SCREWED UP
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Jun 2011
359 Posts
Am a signwriter and I use corel X5 to open any type of file known.
Even the older (and cheaper) corel X3 will do to open most files.
You can then reduce /enlarge to ANY size you like.
Good investment for such a powerful tool. Have built many models to date.
Merry christmas to all who celebrate.
Alf
alf.g is offline Find More Posts by alf.g
Old Dec 23, 2011, 09:42 PM
United States, IL, Edinburg
Joined Dec 2010
162 Posts
GIMP Resources

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ka-6BR View Post
... Yeah, looks like GIMP is great software, so I'll get it and see what's out there for a learning forum... - Erik
Hi Erik,

Here's URLs for a couple of GIMP resources I've bookmarked for future reference:

Grokking the GIMP
http://gimp-savvy.com/BOOK/index.html

Meet the GIMP!
http://blog.meetthegimp.org/table-of-contents/

If you're interested in learning GIMP hopefully these will be of some help to you in getting started.

Bob Keller
scaleviews.com is offline Find More Posts by scaleviews.com
Old Dec 23, 2011, 11:17 PM
Joined Jan 2011
150 Posts
Crusader.

I've been following Planeman's tutorial on how to use photoshop, and put this one togheter. The original Crusader tiled plan found here elsewhere had no scale or any measurements. All I did was stitch togheter the tiles and scale down the ones that were somehow a little large to had a perfect fit.

Ar.
argat1 is offline Find More Posts by argat1
Old Dec 23, 2011, 11:17 PM
Joined Jan 2010
13 Posts
looking for detailed plan of wrightflyer showing dtails for controls including warping of wings for turn coupled with rudder. please help
paperplane is offline Find More Posts by paperplane