HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by orange&white, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Dec 18, 2011, 10:08 PM
gram obsessive
United States, AZ, Tucson
Joined Mar 2005
743 Posts
ripplewave,

Looking for printing services posted here sometime back? Is this what you are looking for?

rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1440488

T.B.
T.B. is offline Find More Posts by T.B.
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 18, 2011, 10:10 PM
Joined Jul 2011
182 Posts
Gimp tutorial's

Quote:
Originally Posted by carrier flyer View Post
Hello Rat,

Any chance you can post a tutorial on how to use GIMP. I down loaded the program and have spent several days trying to learn.
Any help would be more then appricated.

Rick
Hi Rick
Only been playing with it a few weeks my self I can try and help you but very limted as to what I can do my self. There is a gentleman here on the forum named Planeman that has detailed instructions for use of Adobe photoshop and most of what he has written for that program also works for Gimp I learned through trial and error that way. Heres a link http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...1265873&page=3 look at post # 34 on that page in the mean time hang out here and ask lots of Questions theres a bunch of great guy on here most are willing to help out. so let us know where your at with your learning the program and lets see if some one on here can help out.

please fill free to send me a p/m (personal message) any time with Questions if I don't have an awnser I'll try and find one.
Ratracer is offline Find More Posts by Ratracer
Old Dec 19, 2011, 03:29 AM
Joined Mar 2007
1,012 Posts
I'd like to make alterations to some of the plans which I have uploaded ... mostly PDF files.

What programs do you guys use for this purpose?

Specifically, I have built an Ivory Gull, but I have scaled it up and altered the structure, somewhat. So, I'd like to reflect those changes on the plan, so that other people can use it, if they want to.

I've found that "Paint" allows me to modify the PDF files, but it provides only for a freehand alteration. I'd really like to be able to modify in some sort of CAD program. Perhaps its possible to convert a PDF to DWG?

All advice gratefully received.
bogbeagle is offline Find More Posts by bogbeagle
Old Dec 19, 2011, 04:30 AM
Joined Feb 2011
33 Posts
Perhaps its possible to convert a PDF to DWG?

I know of 2 ways to convert a PDF to a DXF. The DXf can then be saved as a DWG. Save the PDF as a PS or EPS. Open the EPS as curves. Save as DXF.
The 2nd method is to open the PDF and save as WMF. Import the WMF into a cad program.
I use these methods at work, using CoerlDraw and AutoCad. I use the result as checks when I make cad models. I know it will will work with Adobe Illustrator.
It might be able to be accomplished with Inkscape or Gimp. I have not tried.
30560 is offline Find More Posts by 30560
Old Dec 19, 2011, 07:06 AM
United States, TX, Kerrville
Joined Dec 2007
161 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by T.B. View Post
ripplewave,

Looking for printing services posted here sometime back? Is this what you are looking for?

rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1440488

T.B.
Thanks T.B.! Dave Plumbe pointed me to his ebay profile as well.

Joe

Shouldn't the opposite of landing be airing?
ripplewave is offline Find More Posts by ripplewave
Old Dec 19, 2011, 07:21 AM
United States, TX, Kerrville
Joined Dec 2007
161 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddie B View Post
Joe, thanks. And make sure to let us know about the Testors wood glues as you got my interest. Testors is sold at man craft and toy stores still today.

Fred
Fred,

From my initial and unscientific tests, the Testors glues seem to be pretty decent.

The fast version dries fairly quick (that's an unscientific term that could mean a few seconds as in the life of a mayfly or the time it took for the mayfly to evolve into a mayfly in relation to the lifespan of the universe) compared to regular titebond of course not as fast a cyao, (for which I am growing a strong disliking to.)

The slower stuff is slow, and takes 4-6 hours to fully cure (again compared to our average lifespan thats not long at all, to the age of the universe well.. you know...) But has better adhesion and better penetration than all the glues I tested. Those are Titebond, white glue, purple glue stick (did surprisingly well on flat surface stuff) med ca, fast and slow testors.

I think performance would be greatly enhanced by thinning with a touch of acetone. I am going to go all out and build my next plane with the stuff and see how it performs overall.

Joe

Maybe the purpose of our being here is the product of bacteria farming us for food.
ripplewave is offline Find More Posts by ripplewave
Old Dec 19, 2011, 08:25 AM
Addicted to building...
Omaha Nebraska
Joined Feb 2006
5,992 Posts
Joe,

LOL, you are cracking me up! Thanks for the feed back on the glue. Wondering if you ever did try Ambroid? It to takes some time to fully cure, and is no instant glue by any means. The slow dry Testors must soak in better, which accounts for the stronger bond.

If acetone is comparable with the Testors, it would allow it to soak in better, getting a better bond, but to a point. Too thin and it just soaks in, leaving a weak, if any bond. Experiments would be fun. Problem is always the rate of evaporation for acetone, and the vessels for holding your mix.

Many old timers (builders) do not love CyA, and it can be a real pain making a mess, or a life saver. It has it's place, but not my favorite either. I use lots of glues from epoxy to Ambroid. Been trying some of the fabric glues lately with some very strong bonds. Stays a bit flexible, but is thicker, and very aggressive bonds.

Thanks again.

Fred
Freddie B is offline Find More Posts by Freddie B
Old Dec 19, 2011, 10:16 AM
Tampere, Finland
Joined Nov 2004
4,177 Posts
Does anyone happen to have Air Trails, December 1949?

There should be an article on a control liner called Triumphant, by George Lieb, in it.
perttime is offline Find More Posts by perttime
Old Dec 19, 2011, 12:55 PM
gram obsessive
United States, AZ, Tucson
Joined Mar 2005
743 Posts
This plan is not on the RCM website, it is from before 1970.

Owen Kampen is known for his Ace High glider (with which I taught myself to fly in the 70's), as well as Whiz Kid, Upstart, Dick's Dream, Ply Guy, Pacer and others.

Here is his first published plan, from RCM 1964. It is aptly named O.K. 2.02. It is a twin .020 powered rudder only model. Enjoy.

HELP! I tried to upload this plan, but it is too large @ almost 4.9MB. I had it scanned at Staples @ 300dpi, their lowest setting. Now what?

Thanks,
T.B.
T.B. is offline Find More Posts by T.B.
Last edited by T.B.; Dec 19, 2011 at 01:01 PM. Reason: add pdf
Old Dec 19, 2011, 01:30 PM
Soulles Normandy France
Joined Feb 2011
607 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 30560 View Post
I know of 2 ways to convert a PDF to a DXF. The DXf can then be saved as a DWG. Save the PDF as a PS or EPS. Open the EPS as curves. Save as DXF.
The 2nd method is to open the PDF and save as WMF. Import the WMF into a cad program.
I use these methods at work, using CoerlDraw and AutoCad. I use the result as checks when I make cad models. I know it will will work with Adobe Illustrator.
how do you save PDF as anything other than copy or text which are the only 2 options given by adobe reader 10. Adobe Acrobat gives you the ability to save as eps ect but I suspect most only have reader
aeromeddeler is offline Find More Posts by aeromeddeler
Old Dec 19, 2011, 01:37 PM
Soulles Normandy France
Joined Feb 2011
607 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by T.B. View Post
This plan is not on the RCM website, it is from before 1970.

Owen Kampen is known for his Ace High glider (with which I taught myself to fly in the 70's), as well as Whiz Kid, Upstart, Dick's Dream, Ply Guy, Pacer and others.

Here is his first published plan, from RCM 1964. It is aptly named O.K. 2.02. It is a twin .020 powered rudder only model. Enjoy.

HELP! I tried to upload this plan, but it is too large @ almost 4.9MB. I had it scanned at Staples @ 300dpi, their lowest setting. Now what?

Thanks,
T.B.
if you can convert back to Adobe simply copy the image to the clipboard and paste into paint (free with windows and found in accessories ) then save as monochrome bitmap then convert back to PDF this should then reduce the file to below the 3 meg
or
email to me or WMD and either of us will reduce it and return to you to post

hope this helps
Old Dec 19, 2011, 01:44 PM
Soulles Normandy France
Joined Feb 2011
607 Posts
for those that are interested 50 profile publications have just been uploaded to the Hippocket site

http://www.hippocketaeronautics.com/...esult=1&page=1
Old Dec 19, 2011, 01:59 PM
Joined Mar 2007
1,012 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 30560 View Post

Thanks for the reply. I gave this a go, but it's a bit beyond me, tbh.
bogbeagle is offline Find More Posts by bogbeagle